AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-10-23, 19:03   Link #61
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
If you mean, how much is it worth to learn as much japanese (lang) - it's as libri said: to learn as much of the customs and language of a foriegn country make for easier communication and a nicer experience then to restrict yourself to an 'english only' environment.
That's just basic travelling 101, no matter the country to be honest
Japanese sincerely appreciate foriengers trying making the effort to speak Japanese (which they consider one of the hardest things in the world to do as a gaijin *laughs a lil*) - so their courtesy is extended in that sense

As for osaka, you may hear the 'wakarahen' instead of 'wakaranai' from the locals, lol.
Accents are different from standard japanese too, so your listening and speaking experience may be osaka- tainted some what, but accents and dialects are kinda fun. Just don't fall to local slang too much and you'll be fine.

As for how much you need?
Well it's purely up to you, the more you learn, the nicer things can become. You can restrict yourself to english only, but you'll be limiting your experience.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 08:41   Link #62
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Going to Japan and not even bothering to learn Japanese?

That is like, half the fun gone.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 06:01   Link #63
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As for osaka, you may will hear the 'wakarahen' instead of 'wakaranai' from the locals, lol.
Accents are different from standard japanese too, so your listening and speaking experience may be osaka-tainted influenced some what, but accents and dialects are kinda fun. Just don't fall to local slang too much and you'll be fine.
Fixed that for you.

Seriously, though, Osaka is a fun place to be, and even though I'm looking at other places for next year (job market's just not that hot right now), I'd really rather stick around. Weekends around Umeda / Shinsaibashi / Namba / Tennoji are where it's at.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 17:00   Link #64
zetsumei

Cheap and fun places to live in Japan question

My little sister was approved by her university to go to Japan and teach English for a year and she picked Tokyo as the place that she wanted to teach in but she doesn't want to live in Tokyo.

For those who've lived, worked, study, etc. in Japan, is there another place where she can reside that's cheap and fun but is still somewhat close to Tokyo so that she can get to work?

Thanks in advance. <(_ _)>
Old 2009-02-07, 18:21   Link #65
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsumei View Post
My little sister was approved by her university to go to Japan and teach English for a year and she picked Tokyo as the place that she wanted to teach in but she doesn't want to live in Tokyo.

For those who've lived, worked, study, etc. in Japan, is there another place where she can reside that's cheap and fun but is still somewhat close to Tokyo so that she can get to work?

Thanks in advance. <(_ _)>
I dunno about 'fun' but areas outside of main tokyo include:
Chiba
Kanagawa
Machida
Yokohama (tho could be expensive)
Saitama (a little far but I'm sure it's cheaper)

She'd have to be prepared to travel into central Tokyo for about 45mins-1hr on the trains, crammed like a sardine most morning though.
So her choice, but those places should start her off.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-02-07, 18:42   Link #66
zetsumei

^ Thanks. She's going to be living with a foster family while she's there teaching. She want a place where she can go out have some fun and buy some stuff (food, clothes, etc.) once in a while without breaking bank. Out of all the places you mention above, which place is closest to meeting her needs? Thanks again.
Old 2009-02-08, 04:00   Link #67
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Depends on where her job is so I cannot say tbh, but Kanagawa is fairly close. They're not towns but district areas I was metioning (for most part), so she'll need to do a little research on maps.google.co.jp.
Or her host family should be able to assist her with a map and general advice.

Old 2009-02-08, 04:35   Link #68
LynnieS

Tokyo is a big city, and depending on where her job and residence are, the commute might not be so good.

I'm a bit confused, though. It sounds like she'll be living with a host family during her teaching year, but wouldn't that mean she doesn't get a choice as to where the residence is? Or does she get a list of prospective host families and then can select one?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 06:27   Link #69
Sam_Sayikarou

Tokyo has a very large population, its very busy. does your sister know any japanese? it would really help aha. or maybe a host family that speaks english?

But going there would be great, i plan on going there (if i have the money) during my gap year. somewhere around tokyo. I'v always wanted to go there, theres so much to do and they actually have a culture unlike britain.
Sam_Sayikarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 09:08   Link #70
toru310

I just like the anime conventions! I'll definitely go there when I get to work!
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 09:14   Link #71
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Send a message via Skype™ to Kylaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkoii View Post
I just like the anime conventions! I'll definitely go there when I get to work!
You might be frightened by them!

I still have issues deciding on whether to apply for studying abroad in schools in Kansai (Osaka/Kyoto) or Kantou (Tokyo). I'm actually considering Sendai as well. I've just heard such great stories about Kansai people and the students that are able to visit (crazy Kansai oba-san, anyone?). I've been to Tokyo before, and it feels pretty standard like a city to me. Just has awesome arcades and Akihabara is close by. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsumei View Post
^ Thanks. She's going to be living with a foster family while she's there teaching. She want a place where she can go out have some fun and buy some stuff (food, clothes, etc.) once in a while without breaking bank. Out of all the places you mention above, which place is closest to meeting her needs? Thanks again.
Japan's prices are relatively standard, at least from what I've heard. I'm not sure if there'd be a significant difference between living expenses in the suburbs or the big city, so your sister might not really have that option. You can still find relatively cheap places all over Tokyo (she'd have to check areas out individually). But trying to squeeze every cent's worth in Japan is a bit difficult. Highest per capita income isn't very helpful either. ^^;
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 13:00   Link #72
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
or maybe a host family that speaks english?
It seems that most people in Japan know English to some degree. For example, even my dad's former professor, who is 85 years old knows pretty good English.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 13:20   Link #73
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Since you're "planning" to move to Japan... is there a reason for this? or is it for shits and giggles? Realistically speaking, you can't just move to another country without purpose. There are things like Visa's and such. You can't stay in another country without a purpose. I'm assuming you might be going there for work purposes? You'll get a work visa if thats the case. In which you'll have to renew every so often.

When I was younger I visited family there often, its been roughly 3~4 years since last I went. So, I'm not familiar with any changes to how they handle things such as immigration. Typically, Work, Family, marriage, School stuff along those lines makes the transition much easier.
Old 2009-02-08, 15:07   Link #74
zetsumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Tokyo is a big city, and depending on where her job and residence are, the commute might not be so good.

I'm a bit confused, though. It sounds like she'll be living with a host family during her teaching year, but wouldn't that mean she doesn't get a choice as to where the residence is? Or does she get a list of prospective host families and then can select one?
I'm not sure, she said her university let her pick where she could to teach and which area she want to reside in. o: Plus, she's also get pay for going over to Japan to teach English. Great deal for her.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let her know so see can do some research on those area. Much appreciated to all those who answered. <(_ _)>
Old 2009-02-08, 16:31   Link #75
Ending

Quote:
Going to Japan and not even bothering to learn Japanese?

That is like, half the fun gone.
Some of us like to travel, spend a few years in one country, and then move on to another one. But yes: it will be impossible to integrate completely to the society without speaking the same language.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 06:47   Link #76
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I dunno about 'fun' but areas outside of main tokyo include:
She'd have to be prepared to travel into central Tokyo for about 45mins-1hr on the trains, crammed like a sardine most morning though.
So her choice, but those places should start her off.
I like Kanagawa prefecture myself - although I have only been to Kamakura and Yokohama there. Outside of the major tourist areas, they're more relaxing and home friendly; Tokyo is just another stressful city, IMHO. Yokohama (or at least the train station itself) is only 30 minutes or so away from Shibuya station by express train as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
Japan's prices are relatively standard, at least from what I've heard. I'm not sure if there'd be a significant difference between living expenses in the suburbs or the big city, so your sister might not really have that option. You can still find relatively cheap places all over Tokyo (she'd have to check areas out individually). But trying to squeeze every cent's worth in Japan is a bit difficult. Highest per capita income isn't very helpful either. ^^;
Prices are fairly standardized, but you can still find some bargains if you search hard enough. Stay away from the supermarkets, IMHO, unless you want to pay premium prices; quality is better than the neighborhood markets, but the prices can be shockingly high.

Housing prices get cheaper the further you live outside of the city, and the further you live away from a rail station, the cheaper it normally is also. A couple of months ago (and probably still is the case now), if you meet the management company's rental criteria, the costs are better than a few years ago's, esp. if you are looking at higher-end apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
It seems that most people in Japan know English to some degree. For example, even my dad's former professor, who is 85 years old knows pretty good English.
Kind of depends on your location, IMHO. In the major metro areas, that's a little more true, but people are still usually not too comfortable with English - unless you're going somewhere that's geared toward foreigners.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 07:47   Link #77
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I wouldn't mind moving to Japan...problem is, I think it's the place farthest away from me in the world...(I live in Greece, around the center of the earth). I have an affinity for foreign languages so I don't think I'd have any problems learning japanese, and as an electrical engineer I guess I could get a decent job there...now,to tell my parents I'm gonna work at the end of the world.....
Old 2009-02-09, 14:41   Link #78
Amray

I am seriously considering moving to Japan, well and truely. Japan has been my favourite country since I was about 10 years old and I have always wanted to go there, if not live there. If I recieved a lot of money then I would buy a house or appartment and move to there straight away.

I want to live in the Saitama Prefecture. I originally wanted to live in Tokyo but over these long seven years I decided on a different location. Saitama looks more relaxing and nicer. Nonetheless I will still venture to Tokyo and Osaka...and Kyoto.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 14:45   Link #79
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Personally, I know next to nothing about Japan, but I get the feeling it's better than here....after reading a certain book I realized that there's nothing holding you back from making your own choices if you have confidence in yourself.If I had some money stashed away, some actual skills to get a steady job and no obligations left (finishing university, serving in the army etc.) I would have flown over 3 years ago.
Old 2009-02-09, 14:54   Link #80
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Personally, I know next to nothing about Japan, but I get the feeling it's better than here....after reading a certain book I realized that there's nothing holding you back from making your own choices if you have confidence in yourself.If I had some money stashed away, some actual skills to get a steady job and no obligations left (finishing university, serving in the army etc.) I would have flown over 3 years ago.
Indeed. I am in college at the moment so that I can achieve qualifications to get into practically any public service that I want.

What I would like to do once I have finished this three years course (full of coursework, assignments, lectures and physical training) and have earned some money afterwards with a job, I plan to move to Japan and use some of my qualifications to get a job within their police department. I will also gain some life experience working in Japan for a while to adapt before I request entry.

It is probably not as easier than it appears to be. I know small and simple words in the Japanese language, but nothing more. I had better get more experienced with their language before anything.

My dream job is to be a detective. If I end up remaining in England doing that then that is fair enough, although I would love to live and work in Japan more.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote