AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-06-02, 13:26   Link #241
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
God I hate this parallel story.
Shame it's an established part of Macross canon then
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 13:36   Link #242
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
You know why the UN wasn't using the big ship at New South Antaria?

They're still refurbishing a piece of junk!

Was it supposed to shoot that alien fleet unprovoked and we're not firing it?

Oops there goes our anti-gravity generators!

What our fold engine disappeared?!

Oh great we also brought the entire Island, the two warships with us!

Goes to show Macross humans don't know much of alien technology then.

Also it is not a parallel story it is a prequel showing an incident during the unification war.
...... yes and zero completely skips the building of the macross and the story's and infighting around it and goes with an out of place pointless story...that being my point theres more than enough stroy fodder around the macross why inject unneeded plot points in it?

And the reason why I dub it a parallel story is because its crap the onyl thing holding it to the macross story is roy and the VF fighters, hell the anti UN forces have more advanced fighters so much so it dwarfs the VF's in the show....Macross zero is just a mess, I just got done watching all of Macross a day before I started in on zero and I finished Macross 7 a week ago, never did care for Macross 2 and Pluss but I can see the merit in them zero is just a mess slopped together because they could not afford to do the story correctly.

Tabris
not for me, clean it up and I might consider it but until then its an extra story line they tried to hard to inject into the main line,even M7's ovas/movie is not as bad as zero is as far as begin part of the main story line... its lacking substance IMO.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 13:48   Link #243
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
...... yes and zero completely skips the building of the macross and the story's and infighting around it and goes with an out of place pointless story...that being my point theres more than enough stroy fodder around the macross why inject unneeded plot points in it?
What unneeded plot points? If they covered the course of the Unification Wars, it'll just be a ordinary non-transformable fighter jet show with the Macross name tacked onto it. The ASS-1 is safely in the heavily defended clutches of the UN and under construction, what more is there to tell? I thought they retconned Zero as a prequel to the series pretty well.

The Bird Man/Protoculture thing shows up in Exsedol's research in SDF Macross, and is a major plot device in Macross 7 and DYRL.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 14:34   Link #244
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
What unneeded plot points? If they covered the course of the Unification Wars, it'll just be a ordinary non-transformable fighter jet show with the Macross name tacked onto it. The ASS-1 is safely in the heavily defended clutches of the UN and under construction, what more is there to tell? I thought they retconned Zero as a prequel to the series pretty well.

The Bird Man/Protoculture thing shows up in Exsedol's research in SDF Macross, and is a major plot device in Macross 7 and DYRL.
I guess my mian problem with zero is the rush to prop up story's around the the "bird man" its like condescending macros 1 around the fights with the zentradi or the love triangles you don't quite get the whole picture, what zero tells is te story of the VF prototypes some Roy Focker back story and a ed to a odd skirmish around some alien technology, dose not have anything to do with the making of the VF,Macross the tech or the over all unification wars, it focus so much on one small aspect that the rest of it feels propped up by it, it feels messy and rushed, a 6th and final ep to end it would have at least shut the voices in my head up but leaving it at a cliffhanger with the way they did the whole thing.. just blah

DYRL is a simplified retelling of macross 1 and has lil bearing on macross 1.... at least IMO.... there are no do overs :P (unless you want to do over with a 26 ep series then I will take it into consideration unless the V2 fails like BGC 2040 ><)
Old 2008-06-02, 15:06   Link #245
Tabris

Well, regardless of whether or not you see it as canon, you have to admit the dogfights were good at least?
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 19:26   Link #246
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Well, regardless of whether or not you see it as canon, you have to admit the dogfights were good at least?
Watched it again I do like a few things characters are nice,the tech is solid,the dogfights are awesome, the lil they did on the UNifacation war and the pointless hurting it did to people was solid, the bird man and story consendation was just wonky enough to drag it down.

I have gotten to a point there is no mid way in my liking media anymore because a lot of projects are basically being released unfinished, I think having one more ep to sew some things up would have been better than the I want to be a clifhanger anime ending they gave it, they could have done alil better, it kinda reminds me of the transformers live action movie they condensed the story alot and that pissed me off(didn't help the deceptions got lil screen time and the dumb humans got all the f'ing time...its not dawsomefromers.....).

would really love to see a series based in the the time frame before the macross was compelted, there is still infighting going on and other things they can play out on screen, would be really nice if they can fill in/add more detail to the birdman stuff.

I guess bridman="early" protoculture, early as in earliest showen in the macross story.
Old 2010-01-29, 01:04   Link #247
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

so i stared watching this. fight scenes are great. initially, i spied a Sheryl and a Ranka, but the characters are a bit different, to say the least. i watched the first two today.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 09:39   Link #248
KaoruLia

Betcha you meant Sara = Sheryl and Mao = Ranka... But besides the height and age differences, I'm sure the similarities end there.
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 10:43   Link #249
raeryne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
Betcha you meant Sara = Sheryl and Mao = Ranka... But besides the height and age differences, I'm sure the similarities end there.
But Ranka and Sheryl are just, I don't know...1 year apart?But I definitely thought Sheryl=Sara, Ranka=Mao...ahaha, but it's all our mind, I guess...(or only my mind, at the very least...)
raeryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 13:51   Link #250
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

and even though Mao is Sheryl's grandma, i definitely see more of Sara in her.. for obvious reasons. haha

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-01-31, 15:53   Link #251
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

i totally took that ending as "they both die"

i also redownloaded the legend of zero frontier ep, and it parallels really well. though they took animation straight out of it.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-01-31 at 16:19.
Old 2010-03-13, 17:04   Link #252
Aeshma

It wasn´t as bad as I feared. It kinda derails at Ep 4, and could have used another episode between 4 and 5, but the fights were pretty good. The characters not so much.
Aeshma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 01:58   Link #253
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Anything can be forgiven as long as the dogfights can give u nerve chills. Shin vs Norah vs Focker vs DD fight is probably the best in all the macross series i've seen. There's just that something special when you see valkyries going up against each other in normal atmosphere
Old 2010-04-28, 11:49   Link #254
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeshma View Post
It wasn´t as bad as I feared. It kinda derails at Ep 4, and could have used another episode between 4 and 5, but the fights were pretty good. The characters not so much.
Watch episode 25-28. A few episodes before that the real plot starts to truly appear.
Old 2010-04-28, 12:24   Link #255
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Watch episode 25-28. A few episodes before that the real plot starts to truly appear.
I though Aeshma was referring to Zero, no?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 13:42   Link #256
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I though Aeshma was referring to Zero, no?
Sorry about that. Wrong thread. "Z" and "7".
Old 2010-06-23, 16:52   Link #257
Zinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i also redownloaded the legend of zero frontier ep, and it parallels really well. though they took animation straight out of it.
Um, wouldn't you?

Spend money on re-animating scenes that already exist or put more budget into the series finale.

I think they made the right choice...
Zinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 03:57   Link #258
SvenCalBayan

So I just recently re-watched the Macross Zero saga in HD... and I noticed this :
Spoiler for Famous Hollywood stars in Macross...:
I've read all 13 pages of this thread, and I've seen nothing on this. I know it's not much, but still... I noticed it.
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 10:50   Link #259
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Moved:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
He did.
Did you once say that Kawamori hired Aya Endo because he didn't like May'n's acting, despite the fact that he said nothing of the kind? Didn't you say that Tokyo was underwater because of the earthquake?

I'm sorry, your track record for fact-checking isn't very good.

Quote:
No, I haven't been looking. Instead, I'm gonna go to school to learn how to create my own website.
It's okay, I can wait.

Quote:
But regardless of whether it was an interview or not, for it to be on the back of the box states along that it is a prequel. There should be no question there. The interview was more about how it connected to future Macross' rather than proof it was. So you really are getting worked up about nothing there.
So how did he say it was connected? I've never heard him say anything along those lines, so any info you can provide would be most helpful. Again, thanks in advance!
Old 2011-12-03, 13:37   Link #260
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenCalBayan View Post
So I just recently re-watched the Macross Zero saga in HD... and I noticed this :
Spoiler for Famous Hollywood stars in Macross...:
I've read all 13 pages of this thread, and I've seen nothing on this. I know it's not much, but still... I noticed it.
They did something similar in Frontier, when Leon was checking Rankas file.