AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-08, 12:53   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Kanon (2006) Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of the 2006 series of Kanon. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • - Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• - Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.

(Thanks to Catgirls for the above intro)
Old 2006-12-08, 12:53   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

By following the "favourite character poll" lines, I ended up including the whole cast, except Akiko's Jam which unfortunately happens not to speak
I felt like including them all anyway because there are so many shades... that also the character who speaks the least could arise interest. (I.E. Mishio, I remember discussing on her voice actress, despite she has had just like.. a couple of minutes of screenplay until now).

Credits to ANN. All the infos are meant as "Cast in... " (and not "Staff in").

Tomokazu Sugita as Yuuichi

Spoiler:

Horie Yui as Ayu

Spoiler:

Tamura Yukari as Mai

Spoiler:

Mariko Kouda as Nayuki

Spoiler:

Akemi Satou as Shiori

Spoiler:

Mayumi Iizuka as Makoto

Spoiler:

Yuko Minaguchi as Akiko

Spoiler:

Tomoko Kawakami as Sayuri

Spoiler:

Ayako Kawasumi as Kaori

Spoiler:

Maaya Sakamoto as Mishio

Spoiler:

Tomokazu Seki as Jun

Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-08, 13:09   Link #3
kingdom_elladrel
Ayu-ism

After hearing Tamura Yukari playing Mai in Kanon and checking out the list above, it's hard to imagine that that is the same seiyuu as Michiru in Air, Sakura in Da Capo / Da Capo SS, Nanoha in Nanoha / Nanoha A's, and Morino in Onegai Teacher / Twins. I gotta give kudos.
Old 2006-12-08, 13:36   Link #4
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Horie Yui definitely did the best job for this version (I was just saying on IRC the other day how amazing that the older she got, the cuter she sounded ). Comparing to TOEI's, IIduka Mayumi's performance is slightly better too, especially on the "Auu~". For Kouda Mariko, alot people have mentioned already about her change of Nayuki's talking style --- I don't exactly have any complaint about this new style, and I got used to it pretty fast throughout this season. Most other seiyuu also lived up to expectation.

However, there's one I am highly disappointed, who would be Satou Akemi. The first moment she talked in this season I already felt like something was wrong, and after hearing her more from later episodes I became sure of it --- her voicing for Shiori is, how to put it, flat. Yes, it's flat. By "flat" I don't mean the pitch like Mai's (btw, Tamura Yukari did a good job for Mai, as usual), but emotionless. I actually digged up TOEI's version and listened to some of her talking in there, it was much better back then. I also remember she voiced Shiori well in game. However, for this season, she sounds really flat. Sorry to say this to the Shiori's fans out there, but to me, Shiori's storyline might lose some points because of that. Hopefully her performance will improve in later episodes.
Old 2006-12-08, 13:41   Link #5
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Yui Horie really did a good job on bringing Ayu's cuteness to the fullest. Compared to the last one, this one is a whole lot better. Sugita Tomokazu also did a good job on voicing Yuuichi. IMO, he's much better than the last one. It somehow suits Yuuichi's personality: sarcastic, nice, and serious
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-12-08, 13:47   Link #6
Julius Firefocht

Tomokazu Sugita did really well in Kanon 2006, I can't find fault with him at all. Yui Horie and Mayumi Iizuka are the ones that left the biggest impression with me though. Both their Uguu and Auuu are done just right, kudos to them!

I am especially impressed at how Mayumi-san expressed Makoto's feelings in episode 10, using nothing more than Auuu and a few rudimentary words. You know the seiyuu is good when you can tell how her character feels without said character needing to communicate in coherent sentences.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-12-08, 15:57   Link #7
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom_elladrel View Post
After hearing Tamura Yukari playing Mai in Kanon and checking out the list above, it's hard to imagine that that is the same seiyuu as Michiru in Air, Sakura in Da Capo / Da Capo SS, Nanoha in Nanoha / Nanoha A's, and Morino in Onegai Teacher / Twins. I gotta give kudos.
One of my favorite dramatic performances she turns in is that of Kurusu Tomari in Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl ~, which also happens to feature Horie Yui (Ayu) as Kamiizumi Yasuna.

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-09, 03:24   Link #8
lil-d01
loves bunnies.

^ Ah, same as me. ;P Though I say her Sakura in Da Capo is the best for me. Then maybe Tomari.

I guess many people are gonna say Sugita Tomokazu doing Yuuichi's voice is better than the original?
Old 2006-12-09, 04:03   Link #9
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I've known Tamura Yukari's voice when watching "Pita Ten", when she was Misha. Then I've always followed her as she demonstrate to have really a wide range of interpretation. From cheesy (Misha) to serious (Tomari - Kashimashi), from cute (Sakura - "D.C.") to toneless (Michiru - "Uta∽Kata").
And then, this is not listed on credits, for those who watched "Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni": do you remember those scary episode previews? (Black screen, confused background and a creepy voice telling what's next). That was Tamura Yukari as well! Quite unrecognizable, but that is, and shows once more her greatness.

Horie Yui (godly interpreter of the ~uguu~) is a great friend of Tamura Yukari in real life, and is another of my favourite seiyuus because she's almost everywhere. ("Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru" as the main protagonist, for saying one on the ongoing series). Although she became famous by dubbing Narusegawa Naru ("Love Hina"), my favourite memory of her is that of Honda Tohru in "Fruits Basket", if the script of the series gave to the character a big heart, Horie Yui literally gave her a soul.

Following, a picture of the two of them I posted a while ago on the Kashimashi thread, for those who may have missed it:

Spoiler for Ayu and Mai - Horie Yui and Tamura Yukari:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2006-12-09 at 10:08.
Old 2006-12-09, 20:11   Link #10
animefanrk2k

Send a message via AIM to animefanrk2k Send a message via MSN to animefanrk2k
I'm in a general agreement that Ayu has really evolved in four years. Kudos to Yui Horie for doing another spectacular job. It seems that her voice has a subtle quality that gives the characters she portrays a soul, as Pellissier pointed out. (By the way, Tohru Honda is still one of my favorite characters and still one of my favorite Yui Horie portrayals)

Yukari Tamura never ceases to amaze me. You think you know a person's voice and then you check their discography (did I spell that right? o_0) to find that they've done MUCH more and more variety than you'd expect. Everywhere from Mai to Sakura to Rika, etc, etc. Her vocal talent and range is simply amazing.

I also have to agree on the comment with Shiori's voice actress, Satou Akemi. I remember in the original Kanon anime that Shiori had quite a bit of life in her actions and voice, as subtle as they may seem. Kanon(2006) is slightly lacking in this. Hopefully, we'll see an improvement when the storyline reaches and focuses on Shiori. =)

Just to comment on this, but I remember Yuko Minaguchi's voice as Akiko only, for some reason. It seems I have a mental block to the other characters she has done.

Ayako Kawasumi's another favorite of mine and she's doing fine as well. In fact, it seems most of the cast are doing splendid jobs here, so I'm one happy Kanon(2006) fan. =D
Old 2006-12-10, 00:18   Link #11
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

When you have a cast that boasts Sugita Tomokazu, Horie Yui, Tamura Yukari and Ayako Kawasumi, you expect quality seiyuu performances. Open up the spoiler tags in Pellissier's post. The combined experience of this entire cast is just incredible.

I still say Sugita is the absolute stand out performance. The way he's just completely nailed Kyuuichi is incredible. He's made that role his own, no question about it.
Old 2006-12-10, 08:09   Link #12
animefanrk2k

Send a message via AIM to animefanrk2k Send a message via MSN to animefanrk2k
You can never go wrong with BOTH Tomokazus. XD
Old 2006-12-10, 17:25   Link #13
lil-d01
loves bunnies.

Except it's a shame that Seki's character seems to get pushed out of screentime a lot - so we won't be hearing him for a while. -sans sweatdrop. >.>"

So it's only one Tomokazu - But still good.
Old 2006-12-10, 17:27   Link #14
lil-d01
loves bunnies.

(dp) How do I delete this?
Old 2006-12-10, 21:29   Link #15
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-d01 View Post
Except it's a shame that Seki's character seems to get pushed out of screentime a lot - so we won't be hearing him for a while. -sans sweatdrop. >.>"

So it's only one Tomokazu - But still good.
The producer promised that he will devote more time to Kitakawa (Seki's character) and his interaction with Kaori. I expect more screen time for him once we get more focus on Shiori's story.
Old 2007-01-03, 00:25   Link #16
White Manju Bun
Dancin' fools
*Author

I actually started watching Kanon just based on the fact that Sugita Tomokazu was in it. I think he's perfect for Yuuichi though I still have a problem picturing Kyon when he talks

I havent watched the 2002 version so I really have nothing to compare the seiyuu's too but I like them all.
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
Old 2007-01-12, 11:31   Link #17
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Roles I couldn't have imagined these seiyuus playing

Yukari Tamura - Michiru (AIR): And it's not just me, too.

Kawakami Tomoko - Kusunoki Tomoka (Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru): Oh, my, *beep*ing, gawd. And yet when I opened it again for a second listen, it certainly sounds like her. I never imagined the seiyuu who played Misuzu and Sayuri could sound so......normal. >_<

Kawasumi Ayako - Mogi Natsuki (Initial D): She plays the ice-queen role of Kaori so well, I just can't reconcil her with the voice of Natsuki. I'll have to go for a second listen sometime soon and compare.

EDIT: Strangely enough, after hearing Natsuki for a second time, it becomes a lot easier to believe that she and Kaori are one and the same...

Sakamoto Maaya - Lunamaria Hawke (Gundam Seed Destiny): Worlds apart, the roles of Lunamaria and Mishio are.

And, the couple of roles taken by Tomokazu Seki that I can totally believe,

Yzak Joule (Gundam Seed, Destiny): Kitagawa's voice is occasionally screechy, but Yzak was just mind-numbingly annoying. Definitely him.

Takahashi Keisuke (Initial D): I knew I heard that voice before....

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-01-12 at 11:50.
Old 2007-01-12, 11:51   Link #18
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Tamura Yukari's role as Nanoha though is such a stark contrast to her performance as Mai. I think I've mentioned this before, but you can't tell just by hearing the two roles that they are voiced by the same person. Morino Ichigo is also very distinct a role.

Sugita's Kyuichi is simply superb... although I cannot stop thinking about Kyon. As a matter of fact, in episode 15, part of me actually thought of Kyon saying those lines to Haruhi!

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-12, 12:38   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The trick is that the character Kyon... is actually a subversive twist on the Yuuichi type character. They *are* literary kin. Having Sugita voice both roles just made that more obvious --- except that people unfamiliar with the timeline of the two characters keep thinking Yuuichi is a ripoff of Kyon when actually Kyon is an homage to Yuuichi.
I contend using Sugita for both roles just actually a good casting decision rather than a "He's hot right now" decision.

I'm interested in seeing if Sugita can do other types of roles as the talented actress who did both Kanon's Mai and MSLN's Nanoha showed. The really excellent voice actors have multiple voices though there are many good VAs that do what I'll call "iconic character voices" -- one particular voice that the viewers like.
Old 2007-01-12, 13:16   Link #20
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(It would be hilarious if Nanoha StrikerS is told through Kyon'no's narriation...)
yes, it would be nice to see Sugita showing his flexibility. I have to admit though that Hideki in Chobits really isn't very unique a character for me to recall about. The alien subordinate in PPD! however was very well done.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Closed Thread