AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-05-15, 08:03   Link #21
Ending

NAV does the job when, rarely, I need it. Thus far, during 3 years, I have found only one virus, masked as an application.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 15:28   Link #22
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Spyware, Adware, Anti-Virus Recommendations

Hi, since these 3 stuff are impossible to avoid when you have a internet connection. I use Bazooka Spyware Adware Remover, and Spy SweeperSo what do you use for Spyware , Adware, and Anti-Virus Programs?
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 16:13   Link #23
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
Hi, since these 3 stuff are impossible to avoid when you have a internet connection. I use Bazooka Spyware Adware Remover, and Spy SweeperSo what do you use for Spyware , Adware, and Anti-Virus Programs?
Its not impossible. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I use linux and I have no malicious software running on my computer. Of course just because you use Linux instead of Windows or MacOS doesn't mean that you will never run into these problems, but it is a fact that Linux is more secure, and hackers target Windows machines a lot more than Linux.

But back when I used to use Linux, I used Spybot-S&D to get rid of my Spywear and Adware. It was good at getting rid of it, but I had to run it like twice a day because the spywear would always find its way back into my machine. As for anti-virus software, I never had any because 1) Its expensive to buy, 2) You have to constantly shell those bastards tons of money to keep your definitions up to date, 3) I was careful not to open malicious e-mail or crappy, vulerable programs (like Internet Explorer) that literally invite viruses into your computer. That's all I have to say about that.

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 17:34   Link #24
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware for removing adware/spyware...but lately i haven't had much since i raised the "security" to high (basically disabled cookies from any site unless i told it to be enabled)

Mcafee antivirus

and I have Peer Gaurdian and Spybot stopping certain things from connecting/d/ling so i'm "usually" fine...of course i keep everything updated and i don't just click any and every link i see

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"®

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 18:59   Link #25
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

First off... the #1 thing you can do to protect yourself from spyware and adware is to NOT use Internet Explorer. Spyware/adwares exploit a lot of holes in IE. Use Mozilla Firefox. I used to see 50-60 items (keyloggers, cookies, etc) on Ad-Aware every week. With Firefox, none. I haven't seen a single item since I installed Firefox.

I also rarely see popup ads. They're almost non-existent. Maybe I'll see 1 every other day or 1 every 3 days. Sometimes I go by weeks without seeing one. It's great.

Anti-virus... I use Computer Associate's Antivirus enterprise level software. One of the best darn things I've used. Pity that their consumer level Antivirus software is garbage. McAfee is another good antivirus software to use.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 20:10   Link #26
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura-sensei
First off... the #1 thing you can do to protect yourself from spyware and adware is to NOT use Internet Explorer.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot that. Yup, Kimura-sensei is 100% right. Only use IE if you wish for a painful death. Seriously though, even the US Department of Homeland Security/CERT and Microsoft's online magazine Slate recommend that you use Firefox over IE. (Unsurprisingly, soon after that Microsoft put Slate up for sale).

Old 2004-08-23, 01:24   Link #27
xargon

i suggest norton corporate version 7, the old one was really good and spybot for spyware/adware.
on my windows, there is no antivirus no spyware protection, all i have is a router for all my comps and that protects it all well. my windows has 0% virus/spyware/adware.
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 09:09   Link #28
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
maybe i'm the only person but I think all those spyware adware n stuff you download online are traps to only give you more and more stuff.

I don't know, there's just too many of them and they DON'T work.

the best ad removal imo is Mozilla Firefox.

If i change my security settings to "high."

will that effect download speed on Azureus??
NarutoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 10:18   Link #29
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoHead
If i change my security settings to "high."

will that effect download speed on Azureus??
No, there will be no change.

Your web browser has no effect on how Azureus communicates.

However, you may find it difficult to download the .torrent files if your web browser is at a paranoid security level.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 13:02   Link #30
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
hey i started using firefox, but then it loads the site kinda slow.
is it suppose to be like that?
and i cant go to Deviant Art places.

Last edited by sOnJoOL; 2004-08-23 at 13:54.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 15:01   Link #31
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
I also would like to suggest:

Adaware SE
It's a freeware that works EXTREMELY well for removing adware and spyware for something that is FREE.
Old 2004-08-23, 16:07   Link #32
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Best all around Anti-Virus program - Norton Anti-Virus 2005 (latest ver.)
Best free Anti-Virus program - AVG Anti-Virus (Free Edition)
Old 2004-09-04, 15:23   Link #33
Kuja

I use Adware, and Spybot for spyware.
For viruses I use Mcafee. It works well. I guess.

Hey, which is the better browser? Mozilla or Firefox?
Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 15:38   Link #34
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja
I use Adware, and Spybot for spyware.
For viruses I use Mcafee. It works well. I guess.

Hey, which is the better browser? Mozilla or Firefox?
Security-wise I think Mozilla and Firefox are about even (but I'm not sure about that). But I prefer Firefox is a stand-alone browser whereas the Mozilla browser is part of a suite of programs (making it slower and consuming more memory). Firefox is developed by the same people who developed the Mozilla browser and its a lot more popular.

Old 2004-09-04, 19:30   Link #35
Shadowlord
~DESU

Adware removal = Ad-Aware SE

Firewall = Router

Virus Scanner = Norton Antivirus 2004

thats about it, its rare that I get adware/spyware, and I haven't had a virus get through my scanner in over a year. By the way, I should mention that a firewall will NOT stop viruses, only hackers and trojans.
Old 2004-09-04, 19:30   Link #36
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Another Ad-Aware SE + Spybot + McAfee Virusscan + Mozilla Firefox user here. (I use Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate on my laptop.)

If you really must use IE, and are running Windows XP, installing SP2 definitely helps matters a lot; and there are always a few times when you do have to use IE. Otherwise, I highly recommend Firefox - I don't know how I'd browse without it anymore.

In terms of the difference between Firefox and the Mozilla suite, if you're only looking for a web browser (don't need an e-mail client or an HTML editor), Firefox should be just fine.

Edit: Oh yeah, Shadowlord reminded me - I also use a router as my firewall (usually Linksys, though right now I'm using a Motorola one). Really, I don't think anyone should have broadband internet plugged directly into their computer - it's just a bad idea.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-09, 18:35   Link #37
xargon

spyware and being hacked and all in my opinion follow this logic:
lets say you have a house, you can get the best security but if someone wants to bring a tank and shoot ur house down they can, so similarly your computer can have the best security but if someone wants it they can get in.
thats why its stupid to get paranoid, decent security is good like a firewall and a antivirus but going out of the way to deal with spyware and all sounds too meh to me.
i think norton + some free firewall or router + spybot of adaware or something is good enough.
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 08:15   Link #38
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Looking for new Anti-Virus app

I'm currently using Norton Anti-Virus 2005 and it's time for me to update (subscription
is running out today). Normally I would simply update Norton as I've done in the past,
but I recently installed Norton Ant-Virus 2006 on my dad's PC and got quite annoyed
at the crap it showed on screen.

Personally for me an Anti-Virus application should obviously do it's job properly. But it
should also be hardly noticable (non-intrusive), treat the user as a person and not like
a dumb clueless idiot, and only alert me when the shit really hits the fan.

Norton, based on 2005 and 2006 fails this in that:
- The user interface is more and more intended for idiots
- By default 2006 has a large yellow "protection center" icon on task bar
- Based on 2005, the "Internet Worm Protection" function has amnesia when you press "permit"
(This means you need to keep pressing permit continuesly for apps it doesn't like -- like BT and eMule)
- 2006 version appears to be more resource heavy
- 2005 version wants to scan my PC every Friday at 20:00 with no way to turn this off

I've used McAfee before Norton, and they also use it at my university, problems are:
- Huge splash screen when booting up. Don't know if you can turn this off
- Based on former experience, it's a resource hog
- I just don't really like McAfee

So... my question is, is there any Anti-Virus that you recommend?

It doesn't need to be free software btw. If you know any app that would
certainly not fit my requirements, I'd also like to know. Summed up,
my requirements would be:

- Good at removing virusses, of course
- No "dumbed down" interface
- Non-intrusive, hardly visible (task tray icon is maximum tolerable visibility, and no splash screens)
- Not resource heavy
- Only warn when really necessary
- I'm willing to pay for it, so it doesn't have to be free
- Not Norton or McAfee (unless you can convince me McAfee has improved)

I've found a few sites with ant-virus reviews:
http://antivirus.about.com/cs/before.../aatpavwin.htm
http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artike...ml?tid1=&tid2=
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://www.software-antivirus.com/
But I'm not sure which review to trust.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2005-12-20 at 08:58.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 08:29   Link #39
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I've used Trend Micro's business offerings -- they are good by your list, but I don't know how good the single user versions are. "Avast" by Alwil is my personal choice at the moment. It has a free version available (which I use) and was the best choice I found when I ditched Norton for the hassle it was giving me with e-mail scanning. I've not done a detailed comparison in over a year though as Avast hasn't given me any problems yet.

As Avast isn't in your list, I would be interested to see how others (who used both) think it compares to BitDefender (as I've heard some people rave about that one).

Edit: Do those AV products have "try before you buy" options? Most do... I think trying them would be the best way to see which review you trust.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 08:38   Link #40
Lefteris_D

At this point the top two free choices are Avast(as NightWish also mentioned) and AVG Free Edition. Right now I'm using AVG combined with a firewall(Zone Elarm).

If you want a commercial product go for Kaspersky.