AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2005-12-21, 13:32   Link #61
SirJeannot
AT Field

ghd > i'm not saying those opensource software are safe. i completely understand your point of view. i had to resign and install a firewall software before moving to the school residence, knowing it would be a garbage network.
so, as denka said before, i'd go for a symantec (non norton) av. their firewall software works fine and detects attacks (hurray, lan gaming networks!). the interface allows to configure everything. sometimes it's not very clear but the software works fine. as long as you have memory, it won't need to much cpu ressources
Old 2005-12-21, 16:03   Link #62
Ending

Ah, well; each to their own. "Security" is the magic-word to the heart of customers and, in any case, it is nice to see such promising clients in the field to which I will be graduating to. Always think the positive side.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 16:25   Link #63
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Ah, well; each to their own. "Security" is the magic-word to the heart of customers and, in any case, it is nice to see such promising clients in the field to which I will be graduating to. Always think the positive side.
just like me
Old 2005-12-23, 08:34   Link #64
07ChanF
Mass Dictionary Lookup...

I have AVG as my own as Norton made my computer crack at slightest task; not to mention I got hit with a virus and Norton did absolutely nothing. AVG Free is designed to be ignored and perfeclty fine for background use. Also has anyone had their network configuration screwed up by Norton? 'cause now I get all these bleeping "svchost crashed etc. etc" whenever I try to ICS.
Old 2005-12-23, 12:04   Link #65
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
I've been using winclam and winpooch for a while now and they seem to work very nice. And they are open source and free. They virus database is updated all the time, winpooch is an anti spyware application, but you can interface it with clamwin for virus + spyware.
Winpoohc
Winclam
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 19:31   Link #66
camathalion

anti-virus

could anyone recommand me some good and free virus scans?

thank you very much
Old 2006-05-29, 20:25   Link #67
TronDD
Team the box!

I use Avast. Typically the free scanners aren't rated all that high. I guess it works, though. And it seems pretty light weight.

Not using IE, Outlook, or clicking on and running any "cool program" anyone sends you is probably more effective than any scanner.

Oh, and the picture in your sig is gorgeous.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 21:29   Link #69
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I myself like Girsoft's AVG, they have a free edition, which is basically the same as the pay minus some scheduling options. So there doesn't seem to be a big difference. I have it on the computers at work, and the computers that had a habit of getting virus have been clean since. The free version does allow for one daily automatic update and scan, the pay can do them more often.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 16:53   Link #70
camathalion

thank you all so much. i am grateful
Old 2006-06-13, 19:07   Link #71
raideralan

Best antivirus software?

I was wondering can anyone give me advice on whats the best antivirus software out there these days? I heard norton was good but takes up alot of resources.

Last edited by raideralan; 2006-06-13 at 19:07. Reason: mispelling
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 20:29   Link #72
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Avira is good. Norton and McAfee are wicked resource hogs, I wouldn't even consider them. I don't use one, however, and I don't have any issues. More important than having a virus scanner is, well, just not being a dumbass.
Old 2006-06-13, 21:44   Link #73
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

I strongly disagree here. As soon as you are connected to the Internet, you need a good antivirus and firewall software.
McAfee personal edition is slow
Symantec is too heavy.
Value for the money is AVG. free edition http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
Another free antivirus is Avast. http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
Fast but expensive is NOD32 www.nod32.com
Worth trying is Panda www.pandasoftware.com.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 22:27   Link #74
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

F-Prot is the best for low-end computers. It barely leaves a fingerprint on your RAM, yet possesses real-time protection and formidable scanning.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 06:50   Link #75
Shini_GamI
YuI

Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
NOD32 is pretty good for me, it will never let virus get into your computer ;p
Shini_GamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 13:48   Link #76
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
As soon as you are connected to the Internet, you need a good antivirus and firewall software.
Maybe YOU do, but plenty of people have zero issues without them.
Old 2006-06-15, 09:33   Link #77
pinomustfly

Nod32, and I've been using AVG, Norman and Norton. NOD is the most effective one, and drains about zero memory. Costs money though
pinomustfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 11:32   Link #78
Kasrkin Squad
For the Emperor

Send a message via AIM to Kasrkin Squad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere
Maybe YOU do, but plenty of people have zero issues without them.
QFT.

I don't have anything protect my computers other then my router, Windows Firewall, and anti-spyware stuff. I feel having AV software is overrated. I only recommend it to new computer users.

All this complaining about security in XP is just so funny to me. All the patches MS can release won't make up for the biggest hole in XP. The mouse and keyboard.
Kasrkin Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 15:17   Link #79
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacco
Nod32, and I've been using AVG, Norman and Norton. NOD is the most effective one, and drains about zero memory. Costs money though
NoD has a low fingerprint and it's fast, but it is hardly perfect. I have put viruses past it before. Also, it's real time detection scanner is not that exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin Squad
QFT.
I don't have anything protect my computers other then my router, Windows Firewall, and anti-spyware stuff. I feel having AV software is overrated. I only recommend it to new computer users.

All this complaining about security in XP is just so funny to me. All the patches MS can release won't make up for the biggest hole in XP. The mouse and keyboard.
AV software is overrated for the experienced user. Proper internet and patch habits will never get you infected. Never hurts to have a firewall though so you can always know who is phoning home *cough* WGA *cough*.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 00:37   Link #80
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
Recommendations on Anti Virus Program (that uses the least ammount of RAM)

As the topic states. I need that... as I am starting to find myself jumping from photoshop to gaming... wooo!
I am currently using Norton Corperate Ed.