AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-08-25, 12:06   Link #1
Mikira

Unhappy Bittorrent and other torrents crashing computer!

Hello,

I just started using bittorrent the other day, and began downloading an anime episode listed at animesuki. Much to my suprise, a few minutes after the start of the download, my computer entirely shut down suddenly, with no warning. After the restart I tried again, only to have it happen again, and again, and...until I finally realized that bittorrent wasn't going to work for me. So, I downloaded BitTornatdo to try to find a way around my problem, but to no avail. Then I went for Turbo Torrent, which didn't crash my computer, but any file I downloaded was corrupt and the program was overall lousy. Next on the list was azureus, which worked the best of all of them but managed to crash as well, but only once over an hour's period of time.

Now I'm wondering: what's going wrong here? Crashing like that certainly isn't normal, and when I restart the computer I'm notified that "the system has recovered from a serious error". It's not listed on microsoft crash analysis. This only happens when I'm running a download on a torrent. I'm not sure about this, but I'm suspecting that the amount of time it takes for the program to crash is relevant to the download/upload speed, as I could go for 20 minutes or so at 10-30kb/ sec but only for about a minute and a half when I was running at 1200kb/sec at one point.

I don't know what's causing this, but I'd really like to find a consistent, working torrent (and one that is adware free, my computer just got fried by ads since downloading the above programs). Anyone who can make any suggestions as to how to fix this problem I'd really appreciate your help!

I've had this exact problem once before, but only when I was running a high graphics-intensity game and overloading my computer. It doesn't seem that the torrents are overwhelming my computer, but they slow it down significantly. Just a thought.

Computer info, if helpful at all....
Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium 4, 1.50 GHz
512MB RAM
Free Disk space: 5gb on C (Main) drive, 20GB on F (Storage) drive.
Running cable internet, no router, no firewall, norton antivirus 2003.

Thanks so much....

Mikira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 12:15   Link #2
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikira
Hello,

I just started using bittorrent the other day, and began downloading an anime episode listed at animesuki. Much to my suprise, a few minutes after the start of the download, my computer entirely shut down suddenly, with no warning. After the restart I tried again, only to have it happen again, and again, and...until I finally realized that bittorrent wasn't going to work for me. So, I downloaded BitTornatdo to try to find a way around my problem, but to no avail. Then I went for Turbo Torrent, which didn't crash my computer, but any file I downloaded was corrupt and the program was overall lousy. Next on the list was azureus, which worked the best of all of them but managed to crash as well, but only once over an hour's period of time.

Now I'm wondering: what's going wrong here? Crashing like that certainly isn't normal, and when I restart the computer I'm notified that "the system has recovered from a serious error". It's not listed on microsoft crash analysis. This only happens when I'm running a download on a torrent. I'm not sure about this, but I'm suspecting that the amount of time it takes for the program to crash is relevant to the download/upload speed, as I could go for 20 minutes or so at 10-30kb/ sec but only for about a minute and a half when I was running at 1200kb/sec at one point.

I don't know what's causing this, but I'd really like to find a consistent, working torrent (and one that is adware free, my computer just got fried by ads since downloading the above programs). Anyone who can make any suggestions as to how to fix this problem I'd really appreciate your help!

I've had this exact problem once before, but only when I was running a high graphics-intensity game and overloading my computer. It doesn't seem that the torrents are overwhelming my computer, but they slow it down significantly. Just a thought.

Computer info, if helpful at all....
Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium 4, 1.50 GHz
512MB RAM
Free Disk space: 5gb on C (Main) drive, 20GB on F (Storage) drive.
Running cable internet, no router, no firewall, norton antivirus 2003.

Thanks so much....

Happened to my friend recently. His computer is fairly good, close to your specs but he's had it for awhile. Anyway, he's into FFXI and plays it on his computer. So one day he told me that he couldn't do anything in it because his computer would restart every 10-20 minutes into the game.

So then he tells me he fixed it. How? He opened his case and noticed his cpu fan, the only fan in his computer (not counting the power supply), wasn't spinning. So it was basically that his cpu was overheating which will cause your computer to shutdown like that. Think he basically just oiled the fan, or he could've replaced it all together. Hope that helps tho.
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 12:23   Link #3
Mikira

Well that's the other place where i had the problem, with FFXI! <3 such a nice game, but funnny that I was able to fix that problem by taking some of the other stresses of my computer (I unplugged my digital camera and DDR pad, and had no problems thereafter). I already tried that to no avail now.

I'm hesitant to go fiddle with my fan and stuff, as I have no knowledge of the physical technology of a computer....would it be wise to bring it into a shop and have them oil/replace the fan for me, or would i be capable of at least oiling it myself?

Bah, I dunno, but I believe that it is probably overload as you said. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

PS
I just stuck my head benind to the computer to try to see if the fan's runnning, I havent' taken off the backing yet but I can feel it blowing out heat, and now I'm considering using it to replace my house's heating system during the winter XD
Old 2004-08-25, 12:35   Link #4
Oujirou
イルージョン

Quote:
Well that's the other place where i had the problem, with FFXI! <3 such a nice game, but funnny that I was able to fix that problem by taking some of the other stresses of my computer (I unplugged my digital camera and DDR pad, and had no problems thereafter). I already tried that to no avail now.

I'm hesitant to go fiddle with my fan and stuff, as I have no knowledge of the physical technology of a computer....would it be wise to bring it into a shop and have them oil/replace the fan for me, or would i be capable of at least oiling it myself?

Bah, I dunno, but I believe that it is probably overload as you said. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

PS
I just stuck my head benind to the computer to try to see if the fan's runnning, I havent' taken off the backing yet but I can feel it blowing out heat, and now I'm considering using it to replace my house's heating system during the winter XD
No problem lol. But yeah, bringing it to a shop or having someone you know do it for you (which would be better) should be okay. As long as you don't have to send it away. And being hesitant to want to play around with the fan is understandable. Basically it just screws on to the heatsink, and under the sticker on the fan should be ballbearings which you can oil. (best bet is to just get someone to do it for you tho, I don't trust myself to do mine even tho I built my computer part by part)

lol I had my heat off all winter, my computer was pumping out enough heat to warm my room ^_^ that's why I have the side panel off with my 120gb harddrive hanging out beside it (because it just gets to hot near the other two harddrives and just in case it overheats like yours did)
Old 2004-08-25, 16:22   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Hello,

If you want to do you a favour, stick with Azureus if we get your problem solved. Read the guide in my sig on how to configure it properly.

Quote:
I don't know what's causing this, but I'd really like to find a consistent, working torrent (and one that is adware free, my computer just got fried by ads since downloading the above programs).
BitTornado, Azureus or the official client do not contain adwares at all.

[/QUOTE]

After the information you provided I'd say we are either dealing with:
a) CPU overheating issue
b) too many internet connections (or a really high internet speed) causes your computer to heat up.

a)
If it's indeed a CPU overheating issue, download and install either Speedfan or Mother Board Monitor 5 (MBM 5). Either one will do although Speedfan is easier to setup.
Start one of these programs and the Task Manager (hit CTRL + ALT + DEL once and minimize it). You should now be able to see both the Task Manager and your CPU temperature in the system tray (the bottom right part of the Task Bar).
Next step is to fire up Azureus and download some torrents while keeping an eye on the CPU usage which you can see on the Task Manager icon and your CPU temperature. If your CPU usage should go abnormally high, double click the Task Manager icon and locate the task that's sucking up your resources (just click on the CPU usage (%) column to list the task in order of their CPU usage and you should be able to find it real quick). Write the task in question down (i.e. javaw.exe 80% CPU usage and 120MB RAM (javaw.exe is the main executable of Azureus)). If there is none such a program, just wait until your computer crashes and write down the CPU temperature. Repeat once or twice and compare the "crash CPU temperatures" with each other. If the difference isn't more than ~3°C (sorry, no Fahrenheit from me ) we can say with a high probability that your CPU is overheating.

Preemptive solution:

Remove the left side of the case but do not touch anything. You are just doing this to improve the airflow/cooling of your CPU. While you are at it, see for yourself if the fan is spinning (I'm kidding on this one since you would smell something burnt if it didn't). Try downloading a torrent again.

b)

In case your computer (or rather the network card) has trouble with too many connections or with high download speeds, try the following:

Download some file via HTTP with your bandwith maxed out. If it does not crash then we can rule out the theory that your network has issues with high download speeds (I don't think it has but there is a small chance that it has).
That leaves us with the possible "too-many-internet-connections" problem.
Here we go:
Fire up Azureus and download some torrents. Keep an eye on the number of connections in the Seeds and Peers column and write down the total number of connections when the PC crashed. Repeat and compare the results. If the connection numbers are somewhat similar we can say that your network card cannot handle too many connections.

Solution:

Update your network drivers. If that does not solve the problem, try this:

In case your network card does not like too many internet connections
In Azureus click on View, then Configuration. Locate the Transfer button on the left side and click it. Now cap your Maximum number of connections per torrent to 100. Click Save and restart Azureus. If Azureus does not crash anymore (or your computer for that matter), increase the connections in small increments until Azureus starts to crash again. You should now have found out your personal maximum number of connections that do not crash your computer.

In case your network card does not like too high internet speeds
In View:Configuration:Transfer, set your global max download speed to some low speed like 100KByte/s. Click Save and restart Azureus. If Azureus does not crash anymore (or your computer for that matter), increase the download speed in small increments until Azureus starts to crash again. You should now have found out your maximum download speed that does not crash your computer.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe we got our "c) Power Supply Unit is too weak". How much wattage does your PSU have and what are your detailed system specs? Alternatively you can tell me if games that strain your computer alot like Doom³ or like that do not crash your computer after playing like 1-2 hours. If they don't, you have a sufficient PSU.

Quote:
PS
You just felt the PSU fan, not to be confused with the CPU fan though . And if you really want to replace your house's heating system you can look at the case temperature with Speedfan and MBM 5 as well ^_^
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 16:41   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There is another potential cause for this problem. Some network card have a problem if BitTorrent attempts to open too many connections simultaneously. They have been known to crash the computer (or restart it) when this happens. If you fan is working then you ought to update the drivers for the network card. If this doesn't help (not every network card is capable of the feat) then you can limit the number of network connections.

To do this with BitTornado:

Spoiler for image that details the process:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 20:34   Link #7
Mikira

WOW! Thank you all for such detailed and helpful replies. Especially to _Sin_ who probably took a lot of your time to help me out.

Anyhow, I've done my homework!

Started up three downloads on Azureus, and sat for an hour watching the Task Manager, Speedfan, and Azureus window. How fun. Anyways, after about an hour things crashed as usual, here's the stats about a minute before that happened:

Download Speed. Started out slow, but for second half hour this was consistent:
Three downloads running simultaneously, at speeds of about 60kb/s, 30kb/s, and 50kb/s, averaging out to be about 130-150kb/s downloading at once, and about 30kb/s uploading between the three.
Latest recording, 5 minutes before crash approx.
Peers before Crash: 71(153),17 (25), 28 (33).
Seeds before Crash: 6(14), 4(4), 4(5)

CPU Temps.
Azureus startup (scanning files to pick up download)
Remote Temp: 56ish degrees, with little flame symbol
HD1 (80gb StorageDrive)- 48 degrees
HD0 (20gb Main Drive)- 44 degrees
Local Temp: 40 degrees

That was for about two minutes just when scanning old files, and the CPU was running 80-100% for that time too.
After that temperatures and CPU usage fell to:
Remote temp: 41 degrees
HD1- 46-47 degrees (this one would rise a lot, because files were being written to this drive)
HD0- 44 degrees
Local Temp: 36 Degrees
CPU usage fluctuated from 5-20% constantly, but never ran above that.
That's basically what it remained at for the entire time downloading before the crash.

Please note that at the exact moment before the crash I had opened up my AIM buddy list and checked a profile or two. However, I had done this a few times before with no issues. I did not notice an increase in CPU usage or temperature (if there was one, it was minimal), at the instant before the crash, but I'm not sure.

After the crash I received that infamous blue-and-white error screen reading:

Computer shut down to avoid damage...blah blah...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Says a lot of stuff about hardware and software causing the problem, check to see if they were installed corrrectly, if there was any new hardware you had just added get rid of it if this problem continued, etc. etc.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000009, 0x0000000, 0x0000009)

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
Physical Memory Dump Complete

And that was all they wrote.

I did not run a second test of temperature and such because I noticed no instance of increase in temperature before the crash, and for the hour it was running it was well below the boiling point!

As for possible problem C, I was able to run Final Fantasy XI, a high graphics intensity MMORPG (at least for my crappy computer), for over 6 hours at a time with no issues of any sort. HOWEVER, as stated before, I had this same exact issue when I first began playing FFXI, though it was solved by simply unplugging a few extra hardwares (digital camera, DDR pad) from the computer.

From here I'm only guessing that this might be possible problem B, or so it seems as the number of Peers/Seeds was gradually increasing from the beginnng to the end of the hour. I'll try all of your suggestions to fix that, but I'd appreciate it if you'd confirm that that's probably the problem with the info. I gave you, just so I don't do a lot for nothing.

(Quote feature won't work...)
"Download some file via HTTP with your bandwith maxed out. If it does not crash then we can rule out the theory that your network has issues with high download speeds (I don't think it has but there is a small chance that it has)."

How do I download a file via HTTP with my bandwidth maxed out? I'm sure it's something simple...but I don't quite know all the lingo yet...

How do I update my network card driver? I've looked around for a site with an update, but I can't seem to find what looks right. My network card is a Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE100TX v4).

Oh and last but not least, and this isn't really concerning me anymore, but on Speedfan there was a listing below the CPU Usage bar that said:
Fan01 : 0RPM
Fan02: 3413 RPM
That would indicate that one of my fans isn't running, right? @.@ fill me in here...

That's about it for now, thanks again SOOO much for all your help! I hope this works out well (things are looking up!)....

*dances off singing about all the anime she'll get to see soon*

Last edited by Mikira; 2004-08-25 at 22:52.
Old 2004-08-25, 23:03   Link #8
Oujirou
イルージョン

Ah the dreaded blue screen, oh how I haven't missed seeing that evil when i didn't understand how to run XP Pro.

I wonder what your HD speeds are? It's either 5400 or 7200 (or the one with 5 digits which would be crazy, 12xxx) and 7200 is bad with only one fan in your case...mainly why my side panel is open to cool off 3 HDs...but you should find that out and open your side panel.

But there is one way to tell if it's a heating problem or if it's another problem I think. Back in the day when I tried setting up an older computer, PII <500mhz, with XP, it started overheating in the early stages, and would require a certain amount of time to return to a safe temp to even bootup. If you are indeed pushing it to the max, in my opinion, it would need some good cool down time before it even does anything.

So this network problem seems more likely than the heating problem (tho I'm not sure of a average heating temp for a one fan case with one HD with unknown speed at this point). You can update your network drivers by going into 'device manager'. Fastest way -> properties of my computer, click hadware tab, and of course 'device manager'. Go to 'Network Adapters' -> properties of the card, and click update drivers.
Old 2004-08-26, 08:18   Link #9
Mikira

I don't know about my original drive, becuase it came with my comptuer thus I have no brand name on it or speed info no matter how much I've picked through it. I'd guess it's the lower one because our computer's 3ish years old and wasn't really top of the line when we got it. The 80gb drive IS a 7200 for sure though. Even when working that drive to its max, I haven't had any overheating problems that I know of, or at least not enough to kill the harddrive/computer, and I've been pretty cruel to it

I've never had any issues with overheating, and I still am almost convinced that it's not the problem now. Speedfan seems to notify you when it deems the temperatures to be too high, and I was far below that the entire time before the crash. I'm really suspecting this is possible problem b- (see _sin_'s post). According to the computer my drives were already updated ot their latest version (I only got the network card about a year ago).

I still need to run the http download at full bandwidth as _sin_ reccomended to eliminate that probably-not-likely problem, but I still don't know how to do that...

I'll try to limit the number of seeds/peers and connections, as that seems what was causing the crash. That was the only thing that was steadily increasing the whole time that I monitored.

Anyone else got a take on this? I'm really a computer amature, and every guess i've made is simply a shot with common sense
Old 2004-08-26, 09:28   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:

Download Speed. Started out slow, but for second half hour this was consistent:
Three downloads running simultaneously, at speeds of about 60kb/s, 30kb/s, and 50kb/s, averaging out to be about 130-150kb/s downloading at once, and about 30kb/s uploading between the three.
Latest recording, 5 minutes before crash approx.
Peers before Crash: 71(153),17 (25), 28 (33).
Seeds before Crash: 6(14), 4(4), 4(5)
Ok, 130 connections so far. Not really that much though but we can give it a shot by decreasing the connections. You already know how to do it, don't you? Try out 100 connections

Quote:
CPU Temps.
Azureus startup (scanning files to pick up download)
Remote Temp: 56ish degrees, with little flame symbol
HD1 (80gb StorageDrive)- 48 degrees
HD0 (20gb Main Drive)- 44 degrees
Local Temp: 40 degrees
The temperatures are pretty normal although HD1 seems to be heating up alot ^_^ Still, nothing serious here since they don't get damaged unless they exceed 55°C (That's just a guess for your drive because it's like that for my Maxtor one. But there shouldn't be that much of a difference between the various brands)

Quote:
That was for about two minutes just when scanning old files, and the CPU was running 80-100% for that time too.
After that temperatures and CPU usage fell to:
Remote temp: 41 degrees
HD1- 46-47 degrees (this one would rise a lot, because files were being written to this drive)
HD0- 44 degrees
Local Temp: 36 Degrees
CPU usage fluctuated from 5-20% constantly, but never ran above that.
That's basically what it remained at for the entire time downloading before the crash.
Everything normal here.

Quote:
Please note that at the exact moment before the crash I had opened up my AIM buddy list and checked a profile or two. However, I had done this a few times before with no issues. I did not notice an increase in CPU usage or temperature (if there was one, it was minimal), at the instant before the crash, but I'm not sure.
I doubt that AIM caused the crash.

Quote:
After the crash I received that infamous blue-and-white error screen reading:

Computer shut down to avoid damage...blah blah...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Says a lot of stuff about hardware and software causing the problem, check to see if they were installed corrrectly, if there was any new hardware you had just added get rid of it if this problem continued, etc. etc.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000009, 0x0000000, 0x0000009)

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
Physical Memory Dump Complete

And that was all they wrote.
Could you check the eventviewer for possible clues? KeinikuSuki detailed how to do that here.

Quote:
I did not run a second test of temperature and such because I noticed no instance of increase in temperature before the crash, and for the hour it was running it was well below the boiling point!
That's okay since it seems that we can rule out possibility a) anyway.

Quote:
As for possible problem C, I was able to run Final Fantasy XI, a high graphics intensity MMORPG (at least for my crappy computer), for over 6 hours at a time with no issues of any sort. HOWEVER, as stated before, I had this same exact issue when I first began playing FFXI, though it was solved by simply unplugging a few extra hardwares (digital camera, DDR pad) from the computer.
This pretty much rules out c) as well.

Quote:
(Quote feature won't work...)
Actually, it's pretty easy to quote someone. Just mark the text you want to quote and click on the bubble in the reply box or insert the Quote tags manually ([QUOTE*=Insert Name here] Text to be quoted [/Quote*]. Remove the * and it should work)

Quote:
How do I download a file via HTTP with my bandwidth maxed out? I'm sure it's something simple...but I don't quite know all the lingo yet...
It probably wasn't some kinda lingo but me expressing myself awkwardly . What I wanted to say is that you should download a file from a web page (HTTP) with your maximum download speed.
Alternatively you can download and install Burn-in Test Pro to put a heavy load on your network card. To do that open the program and click the seventh button from the left (looks like some kinda slider). Uncheck all tests but Network and move the slider to the far right. Hit OK and start the test by pressing the green bulb button right next to the slider button. Make sure that no other major programs are running (AntiVirus and such is OK).

EDIT: Do a RAM check as well with the Burn-in Test after you finished testing the network card; just make sure that the RAM test is running on it's own and not together with the network test (just uncheck the box in front of Network in the Test configuration and duty cycles window) :TIDE

Quote:
Oh and last but not least, and this isn't really concerning me anymore, but on Speedfan there was a listing below the CPU Usage bar that said:
Fan01 : 0RPM
Fan02: 3413 RPM
That would indicate that one of my fans isn't running, right? @.@ fill me in here...
It's the same with me, too. 0RPM does not mean your fan is not spinning but that the speed/fan is not supported by Speedfan. If your CPU fan would not spin you'd realize it pretty quick since you'll smell something burnt
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-08-26 at 18:22.
Old 2004-08-26, 09:45   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

That's what you call an embarassing double post, eh?

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-08-26 at 09:58.
Old 2004-08-28, 14:17   Link #12
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
There is another potential cause for this problem. Some network card have a problem if BitTorrent attempts to open too many connections simultaneously. They have been known to crash the computer (or restart it) when this happens. If you fan is working then you ought to update the drivers for the network card. If this doesn't help (not every network card is capable of the feat) then you can limit the number of network connections.
I had this problem when I first set up as well. If you are using a Linksys ethernet card model LNE100TX version 4 or 5 (you can check in network properties or read the stamp on the card itself) then you need a new driver. These drivers are from the company that manufactures the chipset, rather than Linksys, and they won't crash your computer when trying to open too many connections at once.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote