AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Your thougts...?
I dont believe in aliens 6 15.79%
We should definatly reply 10 26.32%
No, dont reply its to risky we know nothing about them 4 10.53%
yeah reply,,, they might look like anime characters. 5 13.16%
oh a mushroom 4 10.53%
I would reply and hope they come here... peacefully 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-09-03, 09:28   Link #1
Wavie
Freedom
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: United States
Age: 30
Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie Send a message via Skype™ to Wavie
Alien Radio Transmission

Dont know if anyone read about that radio transmission but it was in paper

First radio transmission has been discovered by Earth... HOW COOL IS THAT... why is none talking about it... ahhh

Basicaly a signal or sound was picked up from Earth years ago but never confirmed as a alien signal... so Earth decided to aim its biggest satelite at that sector and have had it aimed there for a few months now.

The signal has now been confirmed, it is no radios from earth and no interference from Earth, its definatly an alien signal.

Whats your thoughts... prob like lets send one back right..?? no

Earth or country that found it have decided to debate sending one back as it could lead to Earth being attacked...?

How paranoid are they...?

To let you know the radio signal was sent 36 million years ago assuming the signal travels at speed of light... so yes they would be way more advanced than us if they are alive. I hope earth decides to reply to that message.

Oh and reason it was 36 million years is because it should take that long to reach us...

Your thoughts?

edit a bit: read seti sight, they said they picked up a transmission they think but its long shot saying that the co-ordinates are right..? not deniing it tho.

Last edited by Wavie; 2004-09-03 at 09:40.
Wavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 09:36   Link #2
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
There are aliens, but they won't be giving a crap about humans and they definitely wouldn't be anywhere close by to shake hands with, so speculation in this one matter is waste of time.

Although... I have to admit that I *secretly* wish that they would already send their ûber-sexy females crashing down so they could fall in love to the first terran they see. (*Hint* Anime films *Hint*)
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 09:37   Link #3
Necrodeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Netherlands, Maastricht
Age: 28
What exactly is a radio signal? It's not light is it?
So I'm wondering if it'll move at the speed of light...
Even if earth should send one back, wouldn't it take at the very least the same amount of time to reach the "aliens"?
So perhaps in 72 million years, we'll hear a new message, confirming that the aliens have received our message and are on their way to drop some parasitic alien creatures on our planet to convert us humans to the alien race...
Not that I will be able to witness that, because I will be long dead

Something different, and this is only a theory, because I don't know if radio signals are sent a particular direction, or if they have a wide area span.
If they have a wide are span, is it not possible that it could've been our own message reflected by one of the planets, thereby distorting it, and looking alien?
Just a thought
__________________
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 09:41   Link #4
Umbrae
Generic Human
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: here
First, it is assumed it was sent 36 million years ago. Given 36 million years it is possible that a faster than light travel has been created, as such, the signal may have been broadcast from any where between here and there.

Honestly I think we should fully evaluate both signals to derive what we can from them, what information is held in them. I would assume it would be some how similar to the Arecibo code. As such it would contain basic information that could be deciphered by almost any intelligent life form given enugh time.

This broadcast suposedly took 36 million years to get here, if we debate for 20 on how to respond I doubt it will make much difference when they recive our reply in another 36 million years. . . Assuming it is not some sort of broadcast from outside the actual area we belive it to be (deep space satalite, ship, or repeater of some sort).
__________________
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 09:43   Link #5
Wavie
Freedom
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: United States
Age: 30
Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie Send a message via Skype™ to Wavie
a point as well thoo is they might be able to detect a radio or light signal message sent in their direction.

Thats true about radio so im not sure... can radio be light to?

i think it did detect a signal but it could have intercepted one traveling side ways in direction they got it in.

But you say they cant reach planet but who knows what tech they have came up with.... Earth should send out signals in all directions and see what happens

i dont think aliens would be evil and i dont believe earth would be if they were realy advanced.
Wavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 09:54   Link #6
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I came, I saw, “It's all hype and noise,"

Don't us the usual “it’s a cover up by the government” because its not. It’s just finding the culprit that killed Dina there wasn't one to start with. I can already hear the screams of lock-on by die hard ET believers but I've got the best counters around and they are facts from authorities like Dr Paul Horowitz, of Harvard University who says “It's not much of anything at all. We're not investigating it further." And Dr Horowitz who states "not new and definitely not a signal".

I’m just hoping that will not become another Flanker VS Eagle thing again because the flanker won and people were not happy so they make excuses and BS will the toilet backs up.

Anyways that’s my idea have a nice day

Source from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3621608.stm
__________________


What is lost can be found. As long as you try your best to find it..
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 10:19   Link #7
BME
Belldandy Fanboy
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Age: 29
OH MY GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

It´s probably nothing though, I mean, it never is. I personaly hope it´s nothing any way, I think mankind is better of alone in their little corner of space. I mean, we don't have cool enough technology to fight aliens yet. I mean, where are the Veritechs?
__________________
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 11:04   Link #8
mantidor
the Iniquitous
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bogotá
Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
What exactly is a radio signal? It's not light is it?
So I'm wondering if it'll move at the speed of light...
Radio is a magnet-electric signal, so it travels at the speed of light. thats precisely why its was used to send the message from Arecibo.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 11:31   Link #9
Kensuke
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavie
Earth should send out signals in all directions and see what happens
We are sending signals to space, and have been doing so ever since the invention of wireless radio, thats over a hundred years. Radiowaves travel to all the directions so around Earth there is a "bubble" of radius over hundred light years and everybody who have a good antenna inside that bubble will hear us, and know exactly where we are. (AAARGH! THEY ARE COMING! THEY ARE COMING!)

Similarly we would hear aliens if we were inside of their "radiobubble". But so far no messages from aliens have been received, so (if we make an assumtion that we are not alone) either their messages have not reached Earth yet, or our equipments are not sensitive enough to detect weak messages from background noise, or that aliens are using something else in communication.

Sidenote: I believe that there is intelligent life out there, what happened here, can happen somewhere else. But no comments on whether or not they have already visited us (UFOs) or are they friendly or evil people as George W. Bush so cleverly put it.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 12:02   Link #10
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Well if they have found us they have deemed us unworthy... They neither want to nuke us or be friends with us let alone want us to know they exsist.
__________________


What is lost can be found. As long as you try your best to find it..
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 12:14   Link #11
Serapiel
Ferenan is cool!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Age: 27
Well, if it is an alien signal then I would be so happy if they just came and blew us all up into tiny little pieces. I mean, we are killing ourselves anyways, and besides we would most likely be inferior to them and they'll either kill us, take us as slaves, or teach us stuff and we'll worship them like gods. They'll probably do the two first options since we can't even understand them.
Serapiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 13:14   Link #12
mantidor
the Iniquitous
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bogotá
Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapiel
Well, if it is an alien signal then I would be so happy if they just came and blew us all up into tiny little pieces. I mean, we are killing ourselves anyways, and besides we would most likely be inferior to them and they'll either kill us, take us as slaves, or teach us stuff and we'll worship them like gods. They'll probably do the two first options since we can't even understand them.
Thats what we would do, if theres any form of extraterrestrial life, they'll probably wouldnt do that. Everyone should stop thinking of alien life in terrestrial terms.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 13:26   Link #13
HopelessLover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
The so called "alien signal" was probably some animal tripping over some thing.
__________________
Oh Look, NightWish has banned me because I thought I'd be funny and make light of Xris's signature warnings. When will I learn ...
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 16:41   Link #14
Kyolux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Québec, Canada
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
EDIT: My vote went to..... "Oh, a mushroom!"

OMG, the aliens have massive destruction weapons..!!! RUN IN CIRCLE LIKE CRAZY!!

Dunno what to think of it. Whatever happens if we answer them, probably nothing will in our lifespan, and our planet might not even be there at that time, or at least our race. As well as if it was sent all that time ago.. They might not be at the same spot anymore.

Last edited by Kyolux; 2004-09-03 at 19:18.
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 18:15   Link #15
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Well at least we all can somewhat safely assume that we are not alone in this universe...
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 21:48   Link #16
Necrodeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Netherlands, Maastricht
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Radio is a magnet-electric signal, so it travels at the speed of light. thats precisely why its was used to send the message from Arecibo.
You looked that up, didn't you
__________________
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 22:01   Link #17
FrostLich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Why isnt there an option about kind of beleiving in aliens but am not sure cuz thats where im at. Because of this though, i guess its worth a try to send a radio transmission. I would doubt that it would reach anything. However, if this radio thing is really expensive, then we shouldnt bother and rather invest the money in other problems.

I dont see why tehre cant be life outside of earth, im not a science major but who says that aliens would need oxygen anywayz? They could be able to live in the coldest places possible and not need to breath in oxygen. I also dont beleive that aliens will be that much more advanced then we are if they are real. I dont know why its a common belief that their more advanced then we are.

What I dont beleive in is the alien sightings. I blame that on poor sight and misunderstanding. As for crop circles, their made by farmers and are not in any way involved with aliens.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 02:30   Link #18
Roots
外人、漫画訳者
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 32
I read about some SETI activity on Slashdot the other day, and a few days later they denied the signal as being anything other than random noise. Not sure if we're talking about the same signal here though. But if it takes 26 million years to reach them what the hell are they waiting for? Its not like the day after they send the signal we'll have aliens try to destory our solar system or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
You looked that up, didn't you
I thought that was a well-known fact actually. All electromagnetic waveforms travel at the speed of light, including visible light, x-rays, microwaves, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation.

In fact, according to Einstein's general theory of relativity, all things in the universe, both matter and energy, are traveling at the speed of light. Now you may be saying "Woah there," but allow me to explain. Our universe is composed of 4-known dimensions; the 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. According to Einstein's theory, all energy/matter (which are really one and the same according to E=mc^2) travel thru the universe, thru both space and time, at the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s last time I checked ) and that this is the "universal speed limit". In other words, nothing can ever travel faster. Because light travles thru space at the speed of light, this means that it can not travel thru the time dimension, and thus does not age. If you were to board a spaceship and travel 99.9999% the speed of light for just a few minutes and then come back to Earth, you will find that a LOONNNNGGGG ass time has passed on Earth. Essentially, the faster you travel thru space the slower you travel thru time. So since I'm sitting here typing and not moving, I'm traveling at the speed of light thru time (I'm using the Earth as my frame of reference, so yes I know my velocity is not really zero).

Well sorry for going on a tangent, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sound really smart. I sure know how to get off-topic don't I?
__________________

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 03:06   Link #19
ramune
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Age: 29
One quick question: Do electromagnetic waves lose energy while traveling through space? If it is the case then that must be a really strong radio signal to be able to travel through 36 million light years.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 03:16   Link #20
Mr_Paper
Hmm...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Looking for his book...
We recieve a radio frequency from the depths of space that matches the radio harmonic of hydrogen... It's a sign!!

This people need to find better things to do with their time and better applications for the money that funds them. Just think of how many diseases could have been cured with all the money wasted by SETI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
One quick question: Do electromagnetic waves lose energy while traveling through space? If it is the case then that must be a really strong radio signal to be able to travel through 36 million light years.
Energy is energy, as Roots explained in his previous post - it cannot age nor degrade.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.