AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-09-02, 13:38   Link #1
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Question Why Azureus starts up so slow?

This issue is bothering me for some time now, when Azureus starts, it needs to spend about one second or so to load each of the torrent file, so when I have a lot of torrent files, the startup takes quite a long time. I haven't noticed such behaviour in any other bit torrent client, so I'm wondering if this is something to do with my Azureus settings or it's something about the design of Azureus?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 14:41   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Do you have any plugins installed (i.e. SafePeer) or are the torrent files rather big in size?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 15:35   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

no safe peer, no plugin, the torrent files are of various size. The problem is not really related to the size of the torrent files I think, because when I start Azureus, it will display something like "loading torrent file (1/20)", "loading torrent file (2/20)", etc. etc. and each of them takes about a second or so (maybe faster than a second, but when there are lots of torrent files it's still quite slow) while for the same torrent files ABC, BitComet, TorrentStorm, etc. etc. can start with all of them listed in a split second.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 20:11   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
no safe peer, no plugin, the torrent files are of various size. The problem is not really related to the size of the torrent files I think, because when I start Azureus, it will display something like "loading torrent file (1/20)", "loading torrent file (2/20)", etc. etc. and each of them takes about a second or so (maybe faster than a second, but when there are lots of torrent files it's still quite slow) while for the same torrent files ABC, BitComet, TorrentStorm, etc. etc. can start with all of them listed in a split second.
I *think* that Azureus does a hash check of all active torrents on load. It does this because you might have changed the contents of those files while Azureus was shut down, and it needs to make sure that the data still matches the torrent. (There are some practical reasons for this feature, such as when you've already download part of a batch torrent, etc.)

Personally, I tend to just leave my computer and Azureus running all the time, so I don't run into this problem a lot. Certainly, I very rarely will turn off my computer while I still have torrents that are either downloading or seeding, and once I'm done seeding, I delete them from the Azureus list. One thing you might try is stopping all your torrents before shutting Azureus down - that might improve the launch time (I'm not sure). Of course, the other ideas would be either to not have so many torrents open at once, or to not shut Azureus down...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 23:57   Link #5
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

By default, Azureus uses friendly hash checking. You can disable this in the configuration. Friendly hash checking does not lock up your system while it does the hash checking. For faster systems, this 'should' not be a problem but with slower machines, it can lead your system to be unusable until all the hash checking is done.
________
FERRARI F2008 HISTORY

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:45.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 08:40   Link #6
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Try to disable the splash screen (Configuration > Interface > Start > Show splash screen). This probably won't make the startup faster but it might seem like it...
If Azureus performs a hash check at startup, I don't think that check has something to do with the regular bt hash check because thet bt hashing takes much longer.
I rather think the longer startup of Azureus has to do with the way Azureus saves torrent information and doesn't cache as much as other torrent clients do. Azureus is also very feature-heavy and Java based on top of that. Try to disable plugins you don't need (Tracker-plugins, IRC plugin and Webui plugin). This might help also.