AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2003-12-03, 05:59   Link #1
Laguna
Aikidoka

Alcohol use? (18+)

So, how what are peoples opinions about alcohol use here.. How much and how often do you use alcohol? Do you consider using alcohol more like social thing that you do with your friends "for solidarity", or do you just consider just a way of letting some steam out? Also opinions about why do you not use alcohol are good as well.. maybe there are alternatives for alcohol ?

This is rather intresting topic, because I think that there can be found very much differences in alcohol use from different places .. I can start by saying that in my own country alcohol use seems to be more like law than choise .. most people think you're wierd if you say that your absolutist. I quess that's because alcohol has been essential part of our culture for a long time now..- Too bad people here have dreadfully bad "alcohol head" x_x (Finland)

Last edited by Laguna; 2003-12-03 at 06:09.
Laguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 07:11   Link #2
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna
maybe there are alternatives for alcohol ?
There are. Only problem is most of those drugs are illegal.

Quote:
Too bad people here have dreadfully bad "alcohol head"
Finns and other northern europeans actually handle alcohol better than most. It's just natural selection. Those of our potential ancestors that couldn't handle it died early

I don't think you realize how incredibly hard we drink compared to southern europeans. Sure they drink alot to but they they seem to lack the determination to get totally pissed that we have.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 07:57   Link #3
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Well in America it is mostly for partying and social events. Now there are people who just drink it whenever and they are normally referred to as "Alcoholics". I use to drink alot with my friends or at the night clubs, but I quit about 3 years ago. I quit because i had some health problems, now the drinking didn't cause it but, it sure wasn't helping it either. So i felt that it was better without it. Not to mention my beer belly hasn't got bigger luckily, lol! It's perfectly ok with me though if other people drink as long as it doesn't become a problem or hurts them physically.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 10:52   Link #4
aquilus
Dismember!

Quote:
I quess that's because alcohol has been essential part of our culture for a long time now..- Too bad people here have dreadfully bad "alcohol head" x_x (Finland)
IŽd say its more because people usually drink too much, and on purpose - for many, booze is a way of getting away from it all.
aquilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 11:12   Link #5
NinjaServ

I don't really like the idea of alcohol....most people that become alcoholics use it to "Get away" from their problems, which is just avoiding. That just causes more problems. I don't see the big "Thrill" in alcohol really.....if i wanna act like a dumbass i can do it on my own....no need to get drunk and wake up next to the wicked witch of the west (ewww......>.<!!!)
Old 2003-12-03, 11:48   Link #6
nerull

Send a message via AIM to nerull
I usually use alcohol several times a week. Sometimes when I'm out with friends. And sometimes just by myself, maybe a good beer/glass of wine with dinner. When I was younger (16-20) I used to drink just to get drunk. Now, I can't even remember the last time I got anything more than a moderate buzz. I just don't like the feeling of being drunk anymore. And while we're on the topic of alcohol, I'd be interested to know what the people here from different areas drink. Myself, I think I like beer the most. Although, aside from some American microbrews I hate American beer. I much prefer the European stuff. Sometimes I also like wine or maybe a little bourbon.
nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 11:57   Link #7
kanazuchi

Send a message via AIM to kanazuchi
I drink every wensday at double daves (its a pizza buffet / pool / sports bar) when they have dollar draft night ($1 for anything on tap!) and most weekends. Although its hard in america (only being 18 )
kanazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 13:39   Link #8
Kensuke

Funny thing, but I have never been drunk, I use alcohol very little. (anime is my drug )
I just don't see any reason why I should drink alcohol. Yeah, I'm weird.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 13:56   Link #9
Laguna
Aikidoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
I don't really like the idea of alcohol....most people that become alcoholics use it to "Get away" from their problems, which is just avoiding. That just causes more problems. I don't see the big "Thrill" in alcohol really.....if i wanna act like a dumbass i can do it on my own....no need to get drunk and wake up next to the wicked witch of the west (ewww......>.<!!!)
Well I think sometimes it's nice to empty head if you're very stressed.. it's not always avoiding problems, but rather dumping them out of mind for a second.. maybe things are bit more clear after nice hangover (or maybe not) .. But yeah, the saying "things never can't be that bad you can't make them worse with alcohol" is quite accurate.
Still, not all people drink for they're problems or just to get drunk. Many people just drink with friends to make atmosphere lighter and so on. I quess you could call that right way of using alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerull
And while we're on the topic of alcohol, I'd be interested to know what the people here from different areas drink. Myself, I think I like beer the most. Although, aside from some American microbrews I hate American beer. I much prefer the European stuff. Sometimes I also like wine or maybe a little bourbon.
Yeah, beer is good.. I like finnish beer. Usually I don't take anything stroger, but those rare times I do, it's usually bacard rum mixed with cola or finnish traditional "koskenkorva" mixed with something. I never really liked ciders and other sweet stuff like that.. just makes me sick -_-
Old 2003-12-03, 14:56   Link #10
McGrugg
Gruggy Wuggy Lubs j00

Send a message via AIM to McGrugg Send a message via MSN to McGrugg
Quote:
How much and how often do you use alcohol?
I don't drink often since I work a lot but when I do, which is usually on Fri-Sun, I drink till I pass out.

Quote:
Do you consider using alcohol more like social thing that you do with your friends "for solidarity", or do you just consider just a way of letting some steam out?
I like to drink with my friends, but I also like to drink by myself and let some steam out when i'm stressed out, and sometimes I just drink for the sake of drinking, so I don't think I can answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerull
And while we're on the topic of alcohol, I'd be interested to know what the people here from different areas drink.
A lot of malt liquor and whiskey. Sometimes budweiser and all that stuff.

McGrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 15:01   Link #11
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I'm actually only 17, but it's not exactly hard to get alcohol in Finland, even if you don't meet the age limit. I don't even go to very many parties, but when I do, I don't drink very much. I always drink some, but I have never been drunk and I really don't have a reason to get drunk. The hangover alone should be enough to keep me away from heavy drinking.

I know people who are really proud of their heavy drinking. Always boasting about how they threw up "back then" and how they drank more than their friends and how their hangover almost killed them. I find it incredibly stupid and childish.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 15:16   Link #12
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I dont drink that much. If Im at a party or with friends Ill drink to get a buzz or so because its no fun to be the only one whos sober. Ive only really been drunk once and all I remember is that I sobbed uncontrollably for the entire night before I threw up in someones lawn and passed out. So now I avoid it if I can.
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 15:18   Link #13
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

I'm not a big fan of the house party scene.. but whenever i'm at pubs or social gatherings, i have a drink.

everything in moderations

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 15:59   Link #14
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
well i dont drink (thank god) and i dont support it even as a social habit since that it is worse than cigarrete in terms of addiction and its associated with a lot fatal diseases that could destroy a persons life
Old 2003-12-03, 16:38   Link #15
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
The hangover alone should be enough to keep me away from heavy drinking.
A nice hangover is really good sometimes. If you hit it just right you'll get a very nice almost 'zen' like feeling. It's like the whole world just slows down a bit. Also food tends to taste great when you've got a hangover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
well i dont drink (thank god) and i dont support it even as a social habit since that it is worse than cigarrete in terms of addiction and its associated with a lot fatal diseases that could destroy a persons life
Don't thank god. Thank your parents and friends, It's nice for you that you have the possibility of even having a social life while not drinking. For me that is not the case. Life would be very dull...

Nicotine is far more addictive that alcohol. Alcohol is more dangerous but when it comes to getting you "hooked" nicotine is up there with cocain and heroin when it comes to addictiveness
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 17:13   Link #16
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Well, my opinion on Alcohol is simple. In moderation, or for some fun social activity or something, or even just hanging out with some friends, its okay, as long as its in moderation. I personally dont drink often, every once in a while and sometimes with friends...being underage and all...
Old 2003-12-03, 17:31   Link #17
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
A nice hangover is really good sometimes. If you hit it just right you'll get a very nice almost 'zen' like feeling. It's like the whole world just slows down a bit. Also food tends to taste great when you've got a hangover.

Don't thank god. Thank your parents and friends, It's nice for you that you have the possibility of even having a social life while not drinking. For me that is not the case. Life would be very dull...

Nicotine is far more addictive that alcohol. Alcohol is more dangerous but when it comes to getting you "hooked" nicotine is up there with cocain and heroin when it comes to addictiveness
well on the contrary alcohol is far more physically addictive both psychologicaly and physically and ur right its far more dangerous than nicotine
Old 2003-12-03, 19:30   Link #18
NinjaServ

Quote:
Well I think sometimes it's nice to empty head if you're very stressed.. it's not always avoiding problems, but rather dumping them out of mind for a second.. maybe things are bit more clear after nice hangover (or maybe not) .. But yeah, the saying "things never can't be that bad you can't make them worse with alcohol" is quite accurate.
Still, not all people drink for they're problems or just to get drunk. Many people just drink with friends to make atmosphere lighter and so on. I quess you could call that right way of using alcohol.

Yeah, beer is good.. I like finnish beer. Usually I don't take anything stroger, but those rare times I do, it's usually bacard rum mixed with cola or finnish traditional "koskenkorva" mixed with something. I never really liked ciders and other sweet stuff like that.. just makes me sick -_-
blah, i just watch anime to clear my head....altho then i end up wasting time and end up worse off than before the problem, LOL!!!

i just see no benifit from a alcoholic beverage....that is all.....i don't see any benifits from it....don't pull that "it's good for your health" bull crap either....ther are lots of other things that are good for you that could be used instead :P

hell, you DON'T have to drink to have a social life either, people may disagree, but a alcoholic beverage is not the only thing in this world a person can drink, water and coke are good too
Old 2003-12-03, 20:09   Link #19
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
God made the rules 21+ In america for a reason! BECAUSE ALL YOU TOW HEADS CAN"T HOLD YOUR LIQUOR BAHAHAHAHAH! What was it the 18th ammendment that was instated in the 20's that banned alcohol in the states. Instating massive corruption between the mob and major cities like the chicago. Which gave birth to vamps and flaps. THAT'S ALL BECAUSE THEY TOOK OUR PRECIOUS BOOZE AWAY! If alcohol is the devil, just call me Satan. NOW BUY ME ANOTHER BEER! AND LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM!

by the way for someone that has a gif of bender downing a beer your ideals sure seem to differ NinjaServ Alcohol can turn the antisocial into social... and for all you stereotypical anime freaks out there...that's a GOOD THING! I like my coke with rum and my tonic with gin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
Reply: Are you sure your not mistaking it with being high?

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I wanna go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it got right to my head
Where'er I may roam
O'er land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singin this song
Show me the way to go home.

Last edited by luckme10; 2003-12-03 at 20:29.
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 20:11   Link #20
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
a alcoholic beverage is not the only thing in this world a person can drink, water and coke are good too
true, true... If your at a bar, theres always orange juice!
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote