AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-08, 10:43   Link #61
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
No, it's going to be 6 episode total. It's an OVA, after all. Rarely do OVAs run more than 6 episodes.

Official website clearly puts the number at 6, so you can stop guessing.
http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/top2/index.html

Spoiler:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 10:53   Link #62
cry
Berry Bunny

omg.

nono rocks o_0

Spoiler:
cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 11:31   Link #63
kari-no-sugata

Top o Nerae 2! will be 6 episodes in total.

I agree it seems rather short. Maybe eps 5 and 6 will be longer...? (no release date yet for them...)
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 14:01   Link #64
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
No, it's going to be 6 episode total. It's an OVA, after all. Rarely do OVAs run more than 6 episodes.

Official website clearly puts the number at 6, so you can stop guessing.
http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/top2/index.html

Spoiler:

Well actually some OVA run up to 13 episodes.

Such as Onegai Twins, or the Tenchi OVAS.

But im not getting into an argument about that in this thread, lets just say I wish there will be more then 6 episodes.

Old 2006-01-08, 15:34   Link #65
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

You are somewhat incorrect. 8)

Onegai Twins is a TV series.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki is a 6 episode OVA series. In fact, Ryo-oh-ki has three 6 episode series (not including the specials).
Old 2006-01-08, 17:19   Link #66
mk2000

Quote:
You are somewhat incorrect. 8)

Onegai Twins is a TV series.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki is a 6 episode OVA series. In fact, Ryo-oh-ki has three 6 episode series (not including the specials).
That's true!

Although, the very last episode is an OVA, so perhaps that's part of the confusion.

Having said that, I suspect a lot of these 13 episode shows look like OVA quality productions based on a having double the budget for each episode (since they are not spanning a standard 26 episode length)

mk2000
mk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 17:55   Link #67
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2000
That's true!

Although, the very last episode is an OVA, so perhaps that's part of the confusion.

Having said that, I suspect a lot of these 13 episode shows look like OVA quality productions based on a having double the budget for each episode (since they are not spanning a standard 26 episode length)

mk2000
Episodes 1=12 were a series then they released the ova. Same as with Onegai Sensei aswell, 1-12 were the series and later released an ova standalone episode.
Old 2006-01-08, 18:31   Link #68
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

OMG If you check out the news on the Gainax site, it seems that they are selling CD-Rs with prints of Aim for the Top 1 and 2 on them...
*drools*
Just the thing to put them fan subs on , I wonder how to buy em...
Oooo and there are models of Gunbuster 1, 2 and the Eltrium...
Must resist urge to use credit card.....

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/top2/news.html

Nono rocks in ep4, I know it would be out of character, but I wish she turned around and said "Who's oneesama now?"
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 18:57   Link #69
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon
Must resist urge to use credit card.....

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/top2/news.html
DAMN, I want that Larc figure!!! But, alas, it's a kit, not a model. And I suck at doing resin kits...

But, at least we can enjoy the sight. 8)

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/be-j/522365/465010/732481/
Old 2006-01-09, 00:52   Link #70
outlaw97

Just a bit more info on the CDs - they are blank CDs with custom prints on them, given away at Comiket 69, and now available to randomly selected people who fill out a form on their page (must live in Japan, naturally). I did a quick search on yahoo auctions, and found 4 of them being sold for 7350 yen (almost $70!). I ALMOST bid on it, but paying that much for blank CDs was a bit overkill for me.

(Ok ok I'll fess up, I didn't bid on it because there are actually 5 CDs total, and it only had 4 )

Regarding episode 4, that was unbelievable - they cranked up the magnitude of things so much, it's like they twisted a volume knob all the way to the max, then snapped it off. The first half was a very well done build-up, with revelations and even room for some character development. The end of the 2nd half was a GREAT homage to the original Gunbuster - I was jumping up and down when Nono saved the day!

Also, for those who've seen the original Gunbuster:

Spoiler:

In a way, I'm actually appreciating the length of time between each OVA release. As the next one's date comes closer, I find myself rewatching the previous ones, and because of the length of time between releases, they still seem fresh. As a result, when I see this one, I'm able to appreciate how all the subtle hints that were dropped in earlier episodes click into place. Too bad there's no release date yet for the 5th. Judging from the preview, it looks like it will continue the spirit of Gunbuster, with Nono and Lark teaming up, as well as the appearance of the Diebuster!
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 09:43   Link #71
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Just saw episode 4. I've been holding back the urge to see the raw, but it was getting very weak, when hallelujah, the episode was finally subbed.

I an only say, WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Judging from this episode, I can see that, Top 2 is obviously linked to Top 1. Who knows what happened in the time that took place between the original and the second series.....

Also, I noticed something VERY VERY INTERESTING.
While all the other "Buster Machines" use French numbers, like Dix Neuf,
Buster Machine #7 just goes by "Nana-go" (Japanese), "Number 7," much like the Buster Machines in the original series (Buster Machine Number 1, Number 2, and Number 3). Why is that?

I think there's a lot more to the numbering! Could it be that the Buster Machines we've seen so far, aren't real Buster Machines?

GAINAX, HIDEAKI, YOU GUYS HAVE WAY TOOOO MANY MYSTERIES IN TOP2!!!
I NEED MY EPISODE 5!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

Some people 'might' think that Top2 isn't as good as Top1, but always remember that Top1 didn't get good until episode 4 - the turning point (and it didn't become one of the godliest anime of all time until episode 6 ). Well, this is Top2's turning point. I can see Gainax re-establishing the legend that the original Gunbuster series established. It'll only get better and better, and WHAM, episode 6 will be just as amazing as the original Gunbuster ep6.

To me, Gunbuster and Diebuster will always be Gainax's flagship series (not some show that plays around with random judeo-christian mysticism)

Last edited by W-General; 2006-01-10 at 02:23.
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 11:09   Link #72
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, it's actually French numerals, not German.

Dix-Neuf = Ten-Nine
Quatre-Vingt-Dix = Four-Twenty-Ten
Vingt-Sept = Twenty-Seven

The only one I have no idea about is Catof-Vingt-Dix. I don't know a numeric "catof".
Old 2006-01-09, 11:15   Link #73
Bracken33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General
Some people 'might' think that Top2 isn't as good as Top1, but always remember that Top1 didn't get good until episode 4 - the turning point (and it didn't become one of the godliest anime of all time until episode 6 ). Well, this is Top2's turning point. I can see Gainax re-establishing the legend that the original Gunbuster series established. It'll only get better and better, and WHAM, episode 6 will be just as amazing as the original Gunbuster ep6.
I agree. Imho Gunbuster 2 so far is as good as Gunbuster 1 was after four episodes.

BTW the numbers seem to be french, they are not german:
Dix=10, Neuf=9, Dix Neuf=19?
I do not speak french...

Quote:
To me, Gunbuster and Diebuster will always be Gainax's flagship series (not some show that plays around with random judeo-christian mysticism)
I really hope your huge Diebuster optimism will be justified in the end.
I like the flagship too btw, but lets not discuss it .

Bracken33 hopes this post is understandable and stylish.
If this is not the case please excuse my bad english.
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 11:54   Link #74
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

What would make it the ultimate homage, but be a real kick in the teeth would be if the last episode was done in black and white...
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 11:58   Link #75
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

That sounds too hardcore even for Gainax...
Old 2006-01-09, 15:06   Link #76
cry
Berry Bunny

Quote:
Well, it's actually French numerals, not German.

Dix-Neuf = Ten-Nine
Quatre-Vingt-Dix = Four-Twenty-Ten
Vingt-Sept = Twenty-Seven

The only one I have no idea about is Catof-Vingt-Dix. I don't know a numeric "catof".
quatre-vingt-dix means ninety
(in order: 10 -> dix, 20 -> vingt, 30 -> trente, 40 -> quarante, 50-> cinquante, 60 -> soixante, 70 -> soixante-dix, 80 -> quatre vingt, 90 -> quatre vingt dix)
belgiums says nonante instead of quatre vingt dix (which he' s more appropriate) but don't ask me why it's like that in france...

catof doesn't exist, they must have been confused with quatre-vingt
cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 17:39   Link #77
Dejiko
Ingram AV98

Quote:
That sounds too hardcore even for Gainax...
Well... they did that in the final episode of the original series... letterboxed

オランダからの同人誌サークル | www.goldfishfactory.com
Dejiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 18:22   Link #78
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Wow...Ep. #4 flat out rocks. I can't add much more to what's already been written...but I must say, I
Spoiler for Ep 4:
Such a fantastic batch of episodes so far. The animation is oh so very nice (detailed, shadowing, high frame rate)...and oh so refreshing compared to a lot that's out right now (low frame rates, little to no shadowing, primary color over saturation, etc...).

Awesome job on the subs Lunar. Your hard work is appreciated.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 19:04   Link #79
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejiko
Well... they did that in the final episode of the original series... letterboxed
In 1988 - yes. But not in these times.

Ever since Evangelion, Gainax has been steadily loosing their otakuness. Nowadays, a lot of their creative decisions are driven by commercial interests. I'm not saying that they sold out or anything (that's just stupid, since anime always was an industry, rather than art), but they'll rarely do stuff that will not sell.

And B&W will be a bit too hardcore for a lot of people to buy. 8)
Old 2006-01-09, 20:10   Link #80
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
In 1988 - yes. But not in these times.

Ever since Evangelion, Gainax has been steadily loosing their otakuness. Nowadays, a lot of their creative decisions are driven by commercial interests. I'm not saying that they sold out or anything (that's just stupid, since anime always was an industry, rather than art), but they'll rarely do stuff that will not sell.

And B&W will be a bit too hardcore for a lot of people to buy. 8)
Have you ever thought, just maybe, the whole point of them doing stuff that sells to otakus, is that they won't sell anything they won't buy themselves?

It's just so happens that what they make BECAME more main steam. They didn't change their taste to fit the main steam at any point.

There is a reason that despite all those mass-produced Gainax products that are now made in China like anything else in the world, they still make rare limited edition things by hand in their head office.

My local shop has an authentic 1/1 scale PenPen made of paper mache. I am pretty sure Ganax staff-member DNA can be extrated from it...

Tags
action, mecha