AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Old 2004-09-07, 01:13   Link #21
yinstro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
not quite, it wasn't the same. Sasuke's fake death didn't have the symbolism or the sense of finality in the flashbacks. Sure it seemed to be a death scene, but it didn't have the same feel to it. And what scene are you talking about for Naruto? The one with Kabuto? He had the greatest medic nin of all time healing him, and once again no symbolism. Neither really had the same feel as chouji's collapse. If you don't believe me reread those parts, then reread chouji's. You'll notice a difference. It's not just that a character collapses, it's the way they do it, and the content that preceded it.

it had a certain finality, but then again his death doesnt seem to be imediate, if he is dying. It looks like with a lil help he can survive. like i said butterfly also symbolizes rebirth and coming pf age, a good death scene fits with rebirth, and the battle has changed chouji.
As far as people saying death can build plot, sure it can but so can life. rock lee naruto hinata sasuke all have had oppurtunities to die, by pushing themselves to the brink of thier limits. it is not uncharachteristic in this series for people to survive said limit pushing. Honestly, i dont think chouji's pops would give his son a guaranteed death pill, like gai wouldnt teach lee how to open the 8th gate. Im sure the pill risks ones life, but guarantees death? i doubt it.
yinstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 02:55   Link #22
Makhazol

Chapter 190. Page 5. "The last one I have left is the red pepper pill. But if I use that, I'll most definitely die."

Edit: Wheee, I'm quick. Mental note, don't leave computer alone for long periods, then answer questions.
Makhazol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 02:56   Link #23
Icer

There's a good chance he wont die, it's a typical thing you'll see in a Shounen series.

Same thing applies to Neji, although I think Chouji has a higher chance of dying considering his final few words compared to Neji's.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 03:24   Link #24
yinstro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhazol
Chapter 190. Page 5. "The last one I have left is the red pepper pill. But if I use that, I'll most definitely die."

Edit: Wheee, I'm quick. Mental note, don't leave computer alone for long periods, then answer questions.
yea some one quoted that, and i responded.

icer you think neiji has a better chance with a whole in his chest than a man who sits on a rock? yo no se
Old 2004-09-07, 04:14   Link #25
Naraht
Misc. Debris Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Naraht
I'm in the wait & see camp, but I'll throw out a "he's alive" theory.

He gets the pills from his dad. Dad tells him, third pill'll kill ya, don't use it unless you're willing to die. Dad is of course lieing, but wants to make sure Chouji doesn't go running off to use his new toy.

Just a thought.
Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 08:30   Link #26
yinstro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
I really hope he is dead. I mean the author sooner or later has to kill of some characters or else it would be too cliche. And I really don't want to see another Getbackers-Effect again...

heh you guys think charachjters living is cliche? but killing off charachters is cliche too, i think yall just want evceryone dead but naruto and sasuke
Old 2004-09-07, 09:20   Link #27
Rurik
Golden

I really dont think Chouji is dead....is Thipichal for Jap Manga to makes us believe a Principal character is dead (from the good Guys), and then when you least espected you find out he is alive. I migth be wrong this is the Same as DBZ...you can see a lots of characters Die....but they keep cpming back...
In Naruto we dont Have Dragon Balls but you can at least keep then a near dead state and then make all thing goes better........

Is the same with Samuray X....we see a lot of Characters get Wooped...but at the end they are all alive.........

BUt then again i migth be wrong!
Old 2004-09-07, 10:24   Link #28
Genei Killua
Mashou no Tenshi

Send a message via AIM to Genei Killua
Chouji isn't a principal character. It would make for a better story were he to die. Given all the symbolism and build-up around his death as a minor character, it would just be pointless were he to survive. What would the meaning be of his death scene were he not to die? To trick us? Why? Chouji is a minor character, most of the significance he could gain would be accomplished by his death.
Genei Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:15   Link #29
strategos

he might be small character but he is important in the naruto history. as u can see naruto is getting more and more friendly with everyone. and each character plays a important role in the naruto storyif one dies it will ruin the plot. Besides the author already has the plot set for the characters. He just might put choiji death as something to put us in wonder and to think about if it true or not that he is death. remeber that kakashi is following the group sent so he might bump with chouji and the other who has fallen. i think sasuke will have a big scare

Besides the whole idea for this is to show us that the character are getting more stonger and that tehy wont be the same as the were before. Preparing the character for the next chunnin exam
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:37   Link #30
Ketsueki

Send a message via AIM to Ketsueki Send a message via MSN to Ketsueki Send a message via Yahoo to Ketsueki
I don't think Chouji is dead... I wouldn't mind if he was, would actully be pretty cool, very FMA-like. But it doesn't seem very Naruto to let a sub-main character die. Besides, Kakashi told Sasuke he would die if he overused the chidori... but he just couldn't move.
Ketsueki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:40   Link #31
Genei Killua
Mashou no Tenshi

Kakashi meant Sasuke might die because he wouldn't be able to complete the move, thereby being completely bereft of chakra, and defenseless against your opponent. I.e. if Sasuke hadn't been able to complete the 3rd chidori against Gaara, he would have died.
Old 2004-09-07, 11:42   Link #32
Icer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinstro
yea some one quoted that, and i responded.

icer you think neiji has a better chance with a whole in his chest than a man who sits on a rock? yo no se
I think the circumstances of how they are dying is irrelevant actually, one of them had memories that you could expect to have going into the death but the other one had memories telling him to live on. That's why if I had to bet on who had a higher chance to live it would be Neji, it could easily be both or neither though.

It's one of the aspects of this story that has intrigued me the most, what the end result will be. Are they dead? What will Naruto think, along with the surviving Genins and what will they think of Sasuke if they did die? Should be interesting.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:43   Link #33
Ketsueki

Send a message via AIM to Ketsueki Send a message via MSN to Ketsueki Send a message via Yahoo to Ketsueki
But being complete drained of your chakra can kill you also, no?
Ketsueki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 11:47   Link #34
Genei Killua
Mashou no Tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsueki
But being complete drained of your chakra can kill you also, no?
Yes, but that's not what Kakashi was talking about. Besides, it's probably impossible for Sasuke to completely drain himself of his chakra. If he were able to do that naturally, then he would receive no benefits from the curse seal.

What Chouji's pill did was probably to drain him of all his chakra, at least way more than the curse seal level 2 can. His pill didn't magically generate 100 x his normal strength, it ripped it from his body in a far fiercer and stronger way than Orochimaru's curse seal ever could.
Old 2004-09-07, 11:51   Link #35
Anthriel
天使

Quote:
he might be small character but he is important in the naruto history. as u can see naruto is getting more and more friendly with everyone. and each character plays a important role in the naruto storyif one dies it will ruin the plot.
Why didn't you stop to read it after Dosu died? Or after Hayate died? You really should have stopped reading it after Haku and Zabuza died.
Seriously, Chouji outlived his usefullness. He got a scene where he owned someone, and his plot was resolved. Apart from that, the pills would be the cheapest thing in existance if they wouldn't kill you. When Lee used the Gates, he paid the price. It would be wrong if Chouji wouldn't have to pay the price for his power as well.
Apart from that ... every character who responds to something like "I'm ten times as strong as before!" with something like "But I'm hundred times as strong as before!" deserves to die a cruel, long and painful death.
However, even though he should die (imho) that doesn't mean he will die.
Anthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:13   Link #36
Hideki Keiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genei Killua
Kakashi meant Sasuke might die because he wouldn't be able to complete the move, thereby being completely bereft of chakra, and defenseless against your opponent. I.e. if Sasuke hadn't been able to complete the 3rd chidori against Gaara, he would have died.
I believe Kakashi said that worst case Sasuke would die, but it wouldn't do him a lot of good either way.
Hideki Keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:22   Link #37
FireBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos
he might be small character but he is important in the naruto history. as u can see naruto is getting more and more friendly with everyone. and each character plays a important role in the naruto storyif one dies it will ruin the plot. Besides the author already has the plot set for the characters. He just might put choiji death as something to put us in wonder and to think about if it true or not that he is death. remeber that kakashi is following the group sent so he might bump with chouji and the other who has fallen. i think sasuke will have a big scare

Besides the whole idea for this is to show us that the character are getting more stonger and that tehy wont be the same as the were before. Preparing the character for the next chunnin exam
Uh.. how exactly is Chouji important in the plot?

The story right now is based on Sasuke running away. The only thing Chouji had to do with it was that he was one of the people chasing him down. That's it that's all.
FireBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 13:18   Link #38
yinstro

chouji's plot in the manga is highly unresolved, he represents a kid who never believed in himself with serious self esteem issues. I would find it hmmm non shonen like to die believing your worthless. His victory didnt change his view of himself, he did not grow, usually people who self sacrifice come to an understanding befor they die, IE zabuza, chouji did not. Its not to say he cant die, but he doesnt have the perfect death scene as some say. Yall guys are seriously the peoblem with stories, you forget when you kill someone in fiction you better be serious, because they are dead, and cant be used later. Killing lower echelon charachters to make your story more real is kind of a cop out.

As far as what the pill does, to my understanding is it consumes body mass for chakra, thus an explosion of power, contrary to anthriel this is not a super cheesy move. A it can kill you. B. you can only use this technique what, once every 2 years? and it be effective. The user needs to have stored an immense amount of fat. that being said, the fact he did not die in, or shortly after battle means he may be able to live on. while he will die if his body consumes his last chakra, i think he would need to be freakishly skinny before chakra loss killed him. Maybe the rapid destruction of body mass may kill him, but then again i doubt the effects would be immediate.
Old 2004-09-07, 15:12   Link #39
Anthriel
天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinstro
contrary to anthriel this is not a super cheesy move. A it can kill you.
Great. Whenever you face certain death, or almost certain death, you would use the pill and increase your chances. Apart from that, anything that makes you 100x times as strong as before sounds cheesy to me, no matter the consequences. Every move that allows you to take on someone who is way stronger than you is unbalanced. Imagine there was a move that would allow Konohamaru to kill Itachi, however, he would die afterwards. Sounds cheap, doesn't it? Now imagine he actually didn't have to die, there was just a chance he'd have to. Extremely cheesy. Obviously, the pill is not that bad ... but it's quite bad as well.
So far in Naruto, everyone who used a move similar to that faced dire consequences, Lee got beaten up by Dosu, Sarutobi was killed and spends eternity in the Death God's belly, and the other time Lee used the Gates, he got beaten up and crippled. It would be cheap if Chouji managed to take out someone who was simply way stronger than him, without even dying. The scene was bad enough as is.
Quote:
B. you can only use this technique what, once every 2 years?
Huh? You simply have to eat a lot of food. It's not that hard to get fat. Surely, it would take months, probably a year at most, but if you really intend to get as fat as fast as possible it shouldn't take two years.
Quote:
chouji's plot in the manga is highly unresolved, he represents a kid who never believed in himself with serious self esteem issues. I would find it hmmm non shonen like to die believing your worthless. His victory didnt change his view of himself, he did not grow, usually people who self sacrifice come to an understanding befor they die, IE zabuza, chouji did not. Its not to say he cant die, but he doesnt have the perfect death scene as some say. Yall guys are seriously the peoblem with stories, you forget when you kill someone in fiction you better be serious, because they are dead, and cant be used later. Killing lower echelon charachters to make your story more real is kind of a cop out.
Chouji didn't believe in himself in the end? I just don't think so. In the end, he pretty much proved his own worth (by taking the cheap and cheesy pill).
Anthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 15:14   Link #40
BANTF*

Send a message via ICQ to BANTF*
Just wanna say tha chouji ROCK that chapter, how cool wasnt those butterfly shaped wings HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!
BANTF* is offline   Reply With Quote