AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-09-07, 15:46   Link #41
Dez
Speshul
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Send a message via AIM to Dez
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinstro
chouji's plot in the manga is highly unresolved, he represents a kid who never believed in himself with serious self esteem issues. I would find it hmmm non shonen like to die believing your worthless. His victory didnt change his view of himself, he did not grow, usually people who self sacrifice come to an understanding befor they die, IE zabuza, chouji did not. Its not to say he cant die, but he doesnt have the perfect death scene as some say.
In my opinion, the root of his self-esteem issues was not so much that he felt useless, but that everyone else thought he was. Seeing the arrow is the greatest form of validation. It shows the faith his friends place in him, trusting that he would be the one to follow. So it is the "perfect death scene" in the sense that Chouji's biggest problem is resolved.
__________________
"Will you just shut up?!!!" -- anonymous user who lowered my reputation, along with everyone else who spends more than five minutes in my company
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 16:01   Link #42
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 35
Chouji and Neiji are principal characters and there is no point in killing a principal character is this would not make any consecuences in the storyline of the Series......


A good example is The 3rd...the 3rd as a Principal character died and as a consecuence of this we have a new Hokage......now wath posibly could add to the plot with the death of this two?...is valid wath someone mention...to make sasuke feel guilty for his stupid desicions.....

But the type of character of all the Gennin of Konoha, are the type of chatacter that endure to the very end of the series, unless of course the get killed for a mayor purpose.......

Please don't misplace "Principal Characters" with "Main Characters" Principal characters are all the characters than in one moment or so have a Main act part in the series,
those are : The 4 gennin Teams of Konoha, The JOunin Teachers, Kabuto, Orochimaru, Tsunade, Shizune,....for all of the characters you wont see their death unless it for a bery high purpose.....

Now the Main Characters are those who have a acting role in the whole series...In this Case the team 7..etc
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 18:42   Link #43
strategos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
i agree

right now with that battle that chouji had was to show use that he can be different. Remember that he elongs to a clan. He probably is the head of that clan. U might say what clan, because thet havent mention one. but if we see the old episodes ad flash we can assume that he is part of some clan. Is important to mantain the characters growing. Yes Naruto is the Main characte but there is also the ide of principle character. Character that help out the plot of the main character and if the principal character just died because of making someone guilty it just would be stupid, because there wouldnt be any more reson to put that characte there. But if u see Naruto well the character isnt going around one character and just making naruto the only one stronger. We see like in Dragon ball who the author just put goku in a fught stronger than him and then the character that once was stronger thatn him just put him lower than goku. He wan t that the whole village becomes the main idea of the Story. A kid and a village so it is importan everypiece odf the sotry. So the author can just kill a principle character just like that woth out making that character evolve during the story. The author is trying to take evrything he has a make stronger. Lee end up in the way he did because of gaara it wasnt because of the technique. the technique only rip off some muscule that they could heal easly but the bones that were affeted by gaara werent that easy. This is not just to kil a character then a new sotry. Each character during each arc, saga or what ever u called is showing us how they grow around naruto or around the things they are happening to them. Besides the next chounin exam will come soon so it would be pointless if some gennins died. Because thru them e can see more of the clan. THere neji that belong to the branch family, Hinata the main family, (Sorry i just forget the name)lol, there the guy with the dog. there the bug guy, there the girl witht weapons, and many other stuff we will se around the story.
Is just plain basic rule when u wirte something u must keep the reader wondering about stuff, so this is the idea of the author here. Wha would ever be come of those two and the whole village it self
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 19:00   Link #44
Hideki Keiji
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 28
Well, Chouji's problem was lack of friends as well as a slight self-esteem issue. His lack of friends is no longer a problem, as he said "I've made a lot of friends".
His issues are basicly resolved, he has no real problems anymore, and we know his history.
In addition to this, if Chouji died there is a good chance that Shikamaru would blame Sasuke(or himself) for it and perhaps become movtivated to be stronger/to get revenge.

So if anyone were to die, Chouji is the most logical choice right now. This is my opinion, anyway.
Hideki Keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 19:18   Link #45
Byakug@n
Official Konoha Mascot
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: La Jolla
Age: 28
This is more or less off topic, but is anyone else besides me sad to see Neji die? In my opinion he was the most bad ass Naruto character next to Itachi. Both of them have more or less an apathetic swagger thats pretty damn intriguing
__________________
Byakug@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 19:30   Link #46
strategos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
there is more to every character that we see

there is more to every character that we see . THe more time passes in the story the story it self becomes more complicated with many twisted and stuff that we didnt know . Each cahracter has more reason in the world of Naruto that we Know. Thru time the author will show us the things inside Naruto Wolrd.Besides. i have seen so many animes frm gundam to any famous big hit anime that the characters around look like they die but they actually didnt die. C'mmmon people this is basic writng stuff. ANyone whio study literature know this. This is to keep the reader or viewers in suspense. He is allright. Kakashi will findd him I order one of the dog to carry him to Tsunade before he dies. There is return back to normal. Then when everyone returns to the village (Naruto, , Shiika, Dog boy, and Saduke) They have in mind about Neji and chouji and thinking that they die. But those two will surprise the whole group by showing them that they survive.
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 21:24   Link #47
AnimeNewtype101
Anime/Manga Tensai
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Borderline of Hell aka New York City
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to AnimeNewtype101
Well I for one hopes that Chouji doesn't die, I mean there's really no point in Chouji dying....... who can benefit from Chouji's death.

I mean basically people are saying that this can be used as a catalyst for revenge, with this "death" being used as even more motivation for going after Oorochimaru........... but wait, there's more than enough motivation what with Sandaime-sama's death and the "kidnapping" of Sasuke.

People are also saying that Chouji is an unnessecary and minor character but in reality he brings alot to the show in the form of comic relief I mean if Chouji is considered an unimportant character than what does this say for nearly anyone else in the series besides Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, Kakashi, Jiraiya, and etc. that they're also considered obsolete and should just be killed off the show so they can have more "excuses" for revenge?!?!?

It would be better for him to be alive and most likely in a coma, this way if he does get any better than he can be of some use to the war against Orochimaru. Besides Chouji is so cool, why do people want him to die?!?!?!

Haku and Zabuza's death was actually needed to show Naruto that not everything is all fun and games with being a Ninja and that there are responsibilities that come with being a ninja and that there are different types of ninjas out in the world.

Sarutobi's death showed everyone that peace and tranquilty can be destroyed in an instant despite having strong and powerful people protecting it. So please once again I know I'm repeating here............ but what can Chouji's death do to the series besides everyone being sad and depressed and pissed off as well???
AnimeNewtype101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 21:24   Link #48
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
He may not be dead, Byakug@n. Kishimoto clearly left Neji's situation ambiguous, because he didn't show what happened to the seal on his head. Chouji is in the same boat. We don't know whether he's alive or dead, but things seem to be pointing toward dead. I don't want to see either of them die, because I like both characters. However, it would be a cop-out on Kishimoto's part if he didn't at least kill one of them.

Someone said upthread how killing characters was as cliche as having them live. I disagree. Most people aren't expecting N&C to die, because they still have things to do. However, that really shouldn't matter in a good story. It would be suitably tragic for both characters (and we know Kishimoto isn't averse to tragedy) to have them die before reaching their full potential and giving them a chance to enjoy life. Especially Neji, who has so much promise and has been pissed off at the world for the last 10 years and only now found a little bit of solace.

edit: AnimeNewtype101, Chouji's death wouldn't benefit anyone per se, and I think that would also make it more poignant if he did. Chouji didn't have to die, if some people hadn't made such stupid decisions. It might illustrate how no one is truly safe. A common rhetoric by fans is that "you don't kill kids." Well, what makes them exempt from it? Nothing, really, if you look at the recent happenings in Russia.

Last edited by Veritas; 2004-09-07 at 21:38.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 21:29   Link #49
AnimeNewtype101
Anime/Manga Tensai
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Borderline of Hell aka New York City
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to AnimeNewtype101
Yeah, I don't think Neji died either.......... I mean his 2nd to last line (I think?)was "I cannot die so easily" with his persistence and determination this may very well be true, after all this was a guy who could fight evenly against a portion of Kyuubi's Chakra.

Also it would just piss off alot of people if Neji died and I don't think the creators of Naruto would want to decrease the popularity of Naruto.
AnimeNewtype101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 21:29   Link #50
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I won't say that Kishimoto left Neji's situation 'ambigious'....

I think it's more than likely that Neji live. First of all, he hasn't complete his goal(I wonder how many times I have said this....) it is has if Naruto were to kill Sasuke right now and bam that's the end of Sasuke forever, without him avenging his clan.

And the most obvious of all... the last lines we saw of Neji's flashback "Live on Neji"... or it might have been "You must live on Neji".

I think it's quite obvious... but anything can happen.... but since it's Naruto it's obvious.

Chouji. I would think if here were to live. He would go on a eating spree and get fat again... It's possible that that won't happen but meh I wouldn't like it and it would seem he used the whole situation as an excuse to get Chouji skinny...He just won't be Chouji anymore if he's skinny.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 21:46   Link #51
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 東京
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
chouji is dead. maybe it doesnt translate well into english, but he is dead.
his saying "father, I have made.. a lot of friends.." was showing that he was able to die peacefully, because he saw that the group had faith in him to beat the sound nin, that's why they drew the map. the butterfly shikamaru saw, was chouji's soul, which comes from an old japanese folklore that someone mentioned. also, neji is also dead. bird in a cage? the feather in the hand. you could argue that we didn't see the seal, but I think that was a big tip off.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules. See this post as well. Second warning, third may get you a ban.
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 22:11   Link #52
JubeiYamazaki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 93
Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
I won't say that Kishimoto left Neji's situation 'ambigious'....

I think it's more than likely that Neji live. First of all, he hasn't complete his goal(I wonder how many times I have said this....) it is has if Naruto were to kill Sasuke right now and bam that's the end of Sasuke forever, without him avenging his clan.

And the most obvious of all... the last lines we saw of Neji's flashback "Live on Neji"... or it might have been "You must live on Neji".
That's exactly why I would kill Neji. People keep thinking he has somekind of countinous purpose to the story and all this other stuff. Death doesn't wait for people to complete their goals, when death comes it comes. And Neji's death would be such a perfect setup for that, having someone die in their prime with so much incompleted in their life would give Naruto more motivation, and make him realize his friends and family are more important then a title and how harsh the life of a ninja can be, having your friends die. Or it could be the otherway around and push Naruto to be the Hokage so can he protect the entire village from all that BS. Same could be said for Chouji though, as long as one of them die, it'll be a great character developement opportunity.

From my point of view their deaths would benefit the story far more then them just being alive. Also I wouldn't use Sasuke for that example, since Sasuke's a secondary main character, and both Neji and Chouji are side characters.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 22:42   Link #53
strategos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
people

we have seen in many anime the butterfly, the necklace break or any of that shit. And in the end it the character just didnt die. Chouji and neji will not die. As i said early. Kakashi will find them both will order the dogs to take them both to tsunade. tsunade will heal them. the group will return, thinking about neji and chouji death and sasuke feeling guilty and in the end they will see that chouji and nej are alive. and ther e we have are two principal character alive. Because there are lots of things this two character as well as other characters to do in the series. It is obvios to see that this anime will show us more than we ever wanted. this is not dragon ball or dragon ball z that everything resolve around goku. this is more advance anime. thats why is such a hit.
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 23:13   Link #54
Hideki Keiji
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos
we have seen in many anime the butterfly, the necklace break or any of that shit. And in the end it the character just didnt die. Chouji and neji will not die. As i said early. Kakashi will find them both will order the dogs to take them both to tsunade. tsunade will heal them. the group will return, thinking about neji and chouji death and sasuke feeling guilty and in the end they will see that chouji and nej are alive. and ther e we have are two principal character alive. Because there are lots of things this two character as well as other characters to do in the series. It is obvios to see that this anime will show us more than we ever wanted. this is not dragon ball or dragon ball z that everything resolve around goku. this is more advance anime. thats why is such a hit.
True, this is not dragonball/z/gt, however the story does revolve around Naruto, hence the title... Naruto. Just about everyone else is a side character. These characters are there to help the story along, sure they're cool, but they are in no way immune to being killed(like Naruto and, to a lesser extent, Sasuke). If Kishimoto decides that the story would be better off with a particular character dead then they're going to die. Just because they have storys doesn't mean that they are incredibly important. Chouji is definitely a minor character. Therefore, He has a chance of dying, 'principal character' or not.
BTW, you remind me of steffa for some reason. Maybe it's your lack of capital letters.
Hideki Keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 23:32   Link #55
strategos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
...

IS true that the story is about naruto. But it is about NAurto and the village. The author is not leaving anything behind like they did in Dragon Ball where they left the coolest character out of the story making them weak. Right now they cant die. If they die the sotry it self will be damge. BEcause each character is important in Naruto life. If u see the personalities of each character when they get around Naurto, Naruto it self changes. U will see people.Kakashi will find them and send them to Tsunade and Tsunade will heal them as simple as that. yes they might die one day./ But they might die when they actually become more adult like. BTW, to celabrate the new season of naruto they are going to trow a two chapter manga.^_^

Last edited by strategos; 2004-09-07 at 23:42.
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 00:06   Link #56
Wingraf
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 32
I would be surprise if Chouji and Neji are dead, it would be sad. C'mon their just genins, for them to die on a mission that suppose to be for chunnins and jounins will put blame on the tsunade. But I agree with you all, if Chouji, Neji, or both, actually died in combat, it would be interesting to see what happens.
Wingraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 00:08   Link #57
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Hmm... this isn't DBZ... They simply throw away the main character at times to focus on this 'secondary' character. And everything really does revolve around this 'secondary' charcter and the mian character really hasn't changed his attitude he's the same as always, just stronger, and he can't even advance in rank without getting a damn perosnality make over.

This isn't DBZ, in terms of what you think is bad about it, this is worse in that case , all the 'old' characters really are just left behind just as much. The main character is too neglected so is all the 'cool' characters. So they stick with some sissy as the real main character. Probably named it Naruto just so there won't be any 'He can die since he's no the main character'...

I wasn't being total serious so you know but I was being serious somewhat.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 00:14   Link #58
VMLM3
I had a good idea once...
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 28
How many times are people gonna discuss this? Chouji's dead, he got the butterfly treatment, lets all get over it and find some other fat kid for comedic relief.
VMLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 00:27   Link #59
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Keiji
BTW, you remind me of steffa for some reason. Maybe it's your lack of capital letters.
And the annoying tendency to state their opinion and speculation as fact.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 00:29   Link #60
FireBorn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthriel
Great. Whenever you face certain death, or almost certain death, you would use the pill and increase your chances. Apart from that, anything that makes you 100x times as strong as before sounds cheesy to me, no matter the consequences. Every move that allows you to take on someone who is way stronger than you is unbalanced. Imagine there was a move that would allow Konohamaru to kill Itachi, however, he would die afterwards. Sounds cheap, doesn't it? Now imagine he actually didn't have to die, there was just a chance he'd have to. Extremely cheesy. Obviously, the pill is not that bad ... but it's quite bad as well.


WTF is Konohamaru going to do as an academy student even with 100x Chakra? Sexy no Jutsu him to death?
FireBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.