AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-31, 17:05   Link #141
eMpTy265
<unranked>

The only thing about most shows with Andy Lau these days is that the show is 'automatically' famous whenever Andy's in it.

Apparently he got the better side of HK opening their media market to mainland China.

(When I went back to China for vacation, at any [and every] moment, there's at least two [out of around 20] channels that's airing a show/movie with Andy... needless to say I got bored pretty quickly.)

(Don't get me wrong, Andy's acting isn't that bad... just that I believe his reputation's a little overinflated... ['Running on Karma' was one movie that I was deeply dsappointed)

N E WayZ... back on topic.

Indeed, the anime version of CH did change many things from the book, and to a certain degree almost affected the storyline. However, watching CH purely as an anime title is still entertaining...

The only bad thing is that I heard that ep.26? actually does NOT conclude the entire novel...
(Which also means that 'Koko' [forgot her anime name] doesn't find out in the first 26?.eps...)

Hopefully there will be a second season...
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 19:19   Link #142
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
It wouldn't be long till Koko finds out, and the chase starts. There's going to be really cool character coming up also. The Live action version of Condor hero on Live-evil is sort of like a prequel of the anime. It's very good though and I recommend to who ever read the book. It surpass previous titles in my opinion
Old 2004-01-31, 19:23   Link #143
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

For my 2 cents, I thought the live action version with Andy Lau sucked, and that the 1995 version was much better. Although I believe the older generation from HK would disagree.

IMO, the best live action version of the author's work was "The Proud, Smiling Wanderer", arguably his best literary work as well.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 21:12   Link #144
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Condor Hero 18 (See, L-E isn't dead :D)

It's out!

What do you all think?

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 21:21   Link #145
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
It's out!

What do you all think?

-Tofu
Thank you Tofu, Live-evil.
Old 2004-01-31, 21:57   Link #146
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

Yes. I'm downloading it now.

Btw, AXN-ASIA started showing Condor Hero last week. Its beeing broadcast all over asia (excluding Japan). The good thing is its sub in English. In HK its sub in chinese i think.
So those who have a decoder or something for Asia channels, just tune in to Axn-asia.

Condor Hero, mondays tru fridays, which means i'll get to see all the episodes before this month ends (february i mean) Yeah!!!

Maybe that's partly the reason why i'm not all too excited with Live-evil ep. 18 release. But i'll still DLing it just to get a more perfect translations.

Anyway, Live-Evil, keep it up.

Master Ran
(aka Mask-en-kai)
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 14:06   Link #147
Karze

and in the nick of time, i was starting to forget about this excellent anime (ahh the irony), any how its another excellent encode - keep up the great work live-evil if by any chance a little qiucker
Karze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 19:59   Link #148
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Very good, it's almost exactly like the 1995 HK version. The next one going to be great I can't wait!!! Thank you Tofu !!! I really hope L-E isn't dead because you're one of my fav. BTW any word on the Live Action version from Binky???
Old 2004-02-03, 09:43   Link #149
ky_khor
Gundamed Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to ky_khor
Condor Heroes......

One of my favorite.

I have the chinese version novel.
i watched Louis Ku version live action drama, 2 episode of andy lau's movie.

so glad that axn asia air it, but sadly most of the daytime i m not available for the tv. the graphic is nice, the translation is nice so are the music.

i like the ending song of the condor heroes anime. although i can't find it anywhere....

i also read the pre-condor heroes novel which focus on "Guo Jing"

it is a great romance other than action for an anime
ky_khor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 09:58   Link #150
ky_khor
Gundamed Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to ky_khor
so sad i can't watch on axn asia....

so sad hav to wait for the fan sub....

hope fansub group will fansub the whole serie...
ky_khor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 05:27   Link #151
batman

IIRC, the live action Andy Lau version from 83 was not considered the greatest TVB show of all time--that honor went to "The Bund" which starred Chow Yun Fat. However, one year, during their anniversary show, TVB did a countdown of shows that had the highest ratings/viewship in their history. And the wuxia/martial arts tv series that had the highest ratings of all time went to "Legend of the Condor Heroes" which starred Felix Wong and Barbara Yung. It's one of the few times where I completely agreed with a countdown. For those who know the story from just the "Condor Hero" anime, "Legend of the Condor Heroes" is the first part of the saga, and I found, to be a much more satisfying story. Or maybe because I liked the main characters so much from the first story, I didn't exactly like how they evolved in the sequel, "Return of the Condor Heroes/Condor Hero [anime]"

By the way, has anyone here seen the TVB Cantonese dub of the Condor Hero anime and can comment on it? How is the dubbing? I heard the Cantonese theme to the anime [sung by Andy Lau] once and I don't like it nearly as much as the Japanese theme. I think what they should have done is asked Andy Lau and Idy Chan to reprise their roles by doing the Cantonese anime dub--that would've be cool. But TVB's too cheap to dish out any money for dubbing--they usually have it done in-house.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 07:00   Link #152
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think the live action shows are nowhere near the original novel... and this anime is nowhere near the live action shows...

So, the novel is definitely the best... although it's only around 5th to 6th position on my list of the 14 novels by Jin Yong. My favorite is always Tian Long Ba Bu.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 08:55   Link #153
zst

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyler13
first off, i just want to say that i don't know what it is, but i am in love with this series. i stayed up all last night watching one through 16. seriously though, i really don't know why i like it so much considering all these little things that make absolutely no sense. like when koko and the youka leave the tomb. why did they just leave ribakushuu and her pupil in the cave where that secret martial art style was written? didn't they suspect that the two would eventually wake back up and see the writings on the wall on how to escape the tomb? and if they did wake up, doesn't that mean that they now know the secret style? and why didn't they suspect anything was up when their bodies were suddenly gone the next day when they went back to train? it's just plain dumb. like when youko forgot to close the coffin. and why is it that everytime ribakushuu and youko fight, youko feels he has to run away? if he can do that gambunto-thing or whatever that green laser light is and defeat her once, shouldn't he be able to do it again? why is koko so naiive?? does she really think that youko would paralyze her and then rape her? then when he releases her of the paralysis, she is all in love wanting to be his wife.... seriously now, you were just friggin' raped!!!!! obviously it was someone else. okay, i'm done bitching. and youko and koko better get that whole rape-scene thing sorted out. i think that might've been the reason why i watched through all those filler episodes with the other girls.
I like the story a lot too. which is why perhaps I feel sad at how much more potential that was left untapped from this story. So I'll join in the bitching as well I do that only because I genuinely like it, so no offence to anybody who don't agree.

Perhaps because I've read the original novel as well as seen many non-anime renditions of this possibly the best known story (and most widely adapted into serials, manga and stuff) of the original author. I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. If you feel that the story of the anime is great, all I can tell you is a lot of subtleties are lost in the adaptation. When watching an anime, you can't know in detail what the characters are feeling as well as the 3rd person narration used by a book. As such, a lot of things that feel natural when reading may seem to be awkward when brought to the screen. Even the martial art scenes become intolerable in animation. What they learn is really martial arts, although sometimes carried to the extreme of being almost mystical, it was still more or less believable in the story, and not so...... "X-men" as portrayed in the anime (no offence to X-men fans! I like X-men. But I just don't think X-men are appropriate in ancient china). The actions/animation are of too poor a quality.

I seem to have read somewhere that this was the studio's maiden work? Still, it was not enough of an excuse to almost spoil such a great story by not doing enough homework. It isn't that they could not find a reference unlike many other anime where they have to make up their own or design from scratch. I was hoping that the animators would at least rent all the previous renditions of the story, manga as well as videos of actual martial arts demonstration and watch them for a month before actually starting on this work. And watch some more jackie chan or jet li films to see how action designers plan settings and choreagraph martial art scenes. Even throw in the jedi light sabre fight scene from star wars 2 (which, from the director's own words during a conference, was inspired by the slightly exaggerated martial art films of HK director tsui hark. They even show a clip of the orignal film, which I think was "Swordsman", in cantonese during the presentation, though nobody can understand the dialogue ). So many possible sources of inspiration and they did not even make use of them. sigh. If they have done some more homework. perhaps then they can inject a little grace into the movements, which will raise this anime from just being good (mostly due to the story) to really great and even one of the best anime of the year.

Maybe after we've finally seen the complete anime, wait for a few years and somebody will make a better version? After all, the manga and drama serials based on this story get remade and remade and remade all over asia year after year. Maybe they have nothing else better to do? Or maybe it's just because the story is that attractive such that no matter how many times it was remade, people still flock to it?
zst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 08:59   Link #154
zst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erise
Hmmm haven't watched this yet, though I know the story pretty well since I've seen the Singaporean live action drama and read the comic series illustrated by a Singaporean artist.

This makes me want to read/watch Return of the Condor Heroes again though...
That version also changed many parts of the story (maybe just to limit the number of episodes or save some characters). I've also seen a few copies the comic series. Only so-so, as the comic fail to portray the action well enough.

Anybody know of a version more true to the original? (perhaps the china version?)
zst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 11:42   Link #155
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by zst
Anybody know of a version more true to the original? (perhaps the china version?)
The China version hasn't been made yet, coming soon. They are saving the best for last I guess, part 1 and 3 of the trilogy are completed.
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 12:46   Link #156
megazone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny333
I thought the live action version with Andy Lau as Youka was like the best TV show ever made in Hong Kong (officially).
I wouldn't say that it was the best TV show ever made in Hong Kong, but everyone I know says that it is the best live-action version made so far. I would have to agree also (after watching both versions recently since the Louis Koo one aired here again recently and I have the Andy Lau one)
I guess I have to agree with what someone else said too (can't remember who again, sorry ><") The older one would appeal more usually to the older HK generation because, well, that is what they grew up with (no, I'm not one, but I did watch it when I was quite young) They're used to the lack-of-special-effects movies because they've probably seen it for a part of their life. These days, special effects seem to play a significant role in whether a movie is good or not.
Storyline-wise, I would think the older one is better. Special effects-wise, I would say the newer one's better (even though some of the fighting was kinda cheesy). Overall though, I'd prefer the prequel to Condor Hero, lol -_-"
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 00:47   Link #157
Jeffrey Ruebel

condor hero

I was wandering why does Youko call Shouryoujou Koko?
Jeffrey Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 01:25   Link #158
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

This was fairly well answered (in Live-eviL's note at the top of the screen), back when he first accepts her as his teacher.

Koko is the japanese pronounciation of the Chinese word for Auntie. (I can't remember the Chinese pronounciation.) In China, Auntie is another way to refer to a female teacher of martial arts.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 01:26   Link #159
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Ruebel
I was wandering why does Youko call Shouryoujou Koko?
Remember that this is a Chinese novel adapted by the Japanese into an anime.

The term used "Koko" is actually "Gu1 Gu4" (Hanyu), sounds like "Gooo(long) Gooo(short)" (lilting tone) for non-Chinese speaking English Speakers. It means Aunt. Since most of the Asian culture tends to teach deferential treatment by treating all elders like family, Youko addresses Shouryoujou as Aunt.

And no... generally in martial arts novels, whether the teacher is male or female, the common term is "Shi1 Fu4" (closest japanese term would be sensei) or literally master.

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-02-24 at 01:52.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 21:03   Link #160
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Condor Hero 19 out ^^

It's out!

This ep is cool but it's gonna make you wanna see ep 20 BAD. That's my warning

You guys liked it?

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote