AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Manga or Anime better?
I watch both the anime and the manga and i think that the MANGA is better. 65 54.62%
I watch both the anime and the manga and i think that the ANIME is better. 30 25.21%
I watch Anime only. 20 16.81%
I read the Manga only 4 3.36%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-09-11, 12:19   Link #21
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 東京
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
Manga > Anime.

I don't care if anime has sound and colour. I really don't.
Use something called your "imagination". If you have one.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules. See this post as well. Second warning, third may get you a ban.
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 12:42   Link #22
skillosopher
Dr. J
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SD
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
Seriously,don't you think it's a bit stupid to argue over this Thread?
well, sure. this is like arguing over which is better, pizza or hotdogs. but hey, whats the harm in saying why you think one way is better, and attempting to show how the others are not.

its like...saying, hunter x hunter is better than naruto, and heres why " ". geez. if we cant argue opinions than what fun is it to have a friendly argument anyway.

if you simply perfer inkblots to cinescape action, fine, i just cant fathom why.
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 12:45   Link #23
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
well, sure. this is like arguing over which is better, pizza or hotdogs. but hey, whats the harm in saying why you think one way is better, and attempting to show how the others are not.

its like...saying, hunter x hunter is better than naruto, and heres why " ". geez. if we cant argue opinions than what fun is it to have a friendly argument anyway.

if you simply perfer inkblots to cinescape action, fine, i just cant fathom why.
That's all the reason HxH needs to argue that...

But there is no use arguing 'over' a thread's 'validity'.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 12:51   Link #24
Cort
What???
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Cort
I've read both, but I prefer anime over manga.

Personally I prefer the action and the movement in the anime. I've never really been a fan of manga though, its not that I dislike the quality, I just don't find entertainment in it. I'd rather read a full-length novel than read a comic, and thats usually what I do. Hell, the novels even tend to be cheaper and last a lot longer
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 12:53   Link #25
skillosopher
Dr. J
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SD
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Arguing is fun! It's a VS thread to begin with as the thread title indicates.

I voted anime and I don't need to scream out my reasons because Skillosopher did it for me.
see. my point exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
Manga > Anime.

I don't care if anime has sound and colour. I really don't.
Use something called your "imagination". If you have one.
lol. saying we have no imagination because color is added to the black and white? wow. when the color is exactly the same as it "would be" i.e. naruto's orange jacket and red chakara doesnt miracously change to a pink jacket and green chakara in "your imagination" does it? therefore, why try and imagine somehting thats clearly not the case?

the reason for this is, i believe like stated earlier, the anime is virtually the same as the manga (well adapted). so, the only way imagination could come in is if you picture the faces on someone differently, or picture colors differently, but in this case you cant! its laid out for you in the manga and does not change in the anime! god forbid if you "imagin" a song playing during the action and drama scenes. or if you say "i imagined the voicings differently" therefore the anime sucks, fine, i believe the voiceings add much to the picture.

those who say anime people suffer from lack of imagination are just dead wrong!
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 13:04   Link #26
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
the reason for this is, i believe like stated earlier, the anime is virtually the same as the manga (well adapted). so, the only way imagination could come in is if you picture the faces on someone differently, or picture colors differently, but in this case you cant! its laid out for you in the manga and does not change in the anime! god forbid if you "imagin" a song playing during the action and drama scenes. or if you say "i imagined the voicings differently" therefore the anime sucks, fine, i believe the voiceings add much to the picture.

those who say anime people suffer from lack of imagination are just dead wrong!
... 'virtaully the same' in the case of Naruto that's completely wrong. I assume you havent read the manga and watched the anime counterpart.

The way imagination comes into place is that you can 'see' or rather thinK... of the manga as moving pictures in itself. People who like anime usually say it's 'boring'. The anime alters stuff in the manga for the worse.

Those who find novels boring is usually for the reason they have a lack of imagination they say it's just 'words and it's boring'.

Those who actually have read an equal amount of both say are up to date on both the anime and manga would have a more valid opinion that someone just say they read 1 chapter and didn't like it.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 13:05   Link #27
AngelKyo
Shizune is numba#1
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: A World of my own
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to AngelKyo Send a message via MSN to AngelKyo Send a message via Yahoo to AngelKyo
if u dont like fillers of course ur gonna choose manga, but its just plain easier the watch the anime :P only real mangas i like are D.N.Angel, tsubasa, and xxxholic, I have read naruto though and its ok
__________________
Now is the time, to abide by, and protect my way of the ninja!
Member of the Shizune Society
AngelKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 13:46   Link #28
skillosopher
Dr. J
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SD
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
... 'virtaully the same' in the case of Naruto that's completely wrong. I assume you havent read the manga and watched the anime counterpart.

The way imagination comes into place is that you can 'see' or rather thinK... of the manga as moving pictures in itself. People who like anime usually say it's 'boring'. The anime alters stuff in the manga for the worse.

Those who find novels boring is usually for the reason they have a lack of imagination they say it's just 'words and it's boring'.

Those who actually have read an equal amount of both say are up to date on both the anime and manga would have a more valid opinion that someone just say they read 1 chapter and didn't like it.
well ive read the manga at least 3 times over. but ive yet to see any significant deviations in the anime, from the manga. in my opinon, all the little extras can be smashed into 5 episodes minus the specials. if you can give me a significant difference where the difference clearly shows a difference in character, story direction, power level, motives, then i dont think you can say that its "completly wrong to say that its virtually the same. "

if you do read novels, you ought to know that you cant compare a manga to a novel. and i read plenty of novels, and i will attest to the golden rule, "the book is always better than the movie." ive witnessed this massacer myself plenty of times.

however, if you believe the anime and manga are virtually the same, then this rule doesnt apply, no book is ever the same as its movie counterpart, and this is why people who read the book first hate the movie. without pictures, and only words you can imagine a great many things. but clearly, manga does not equal novel. manga is 90% picture and 10% words, novels are 0% pictures and 100% words. im sure you can tell the difference.

also, if they are virtually the same, there is no need for imagination, unless like i also said ealier, you imagine a little song playing in the background, or you imagine different colors. but the pictures are very much the same pictures you see in the manga! the pictures in the manga dictate movement, and the anime brings it to life. in some episodes, the anime is even a "frame by frame" adaptation.

i just dont see how "'virtaully the same' in the case of Naruto that's completely wrong." is true at all...
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 14:25   Link #29
Zek
Eyebrows...
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 27
I prefer the manga. The anime is alright but it has a lot of flaws:

1.) Very slow pacing as they take a painstaking amount of time watching people talk in the middle of fights. Look at a series like Full Metal Alchemist to see how fights should be handled IMHO, though that series has the benefit of not being chained down to the manga. The most recent chapters are going to be mind-numbing when they come to the anime...

2.) Crappy writers. They just aren't any good at making original material. There have been a handful of exceptions(Oro vs. Sasuke, Oro vs. Sarutobi), but in general, when the anime is forced to resort to filler it just isn't even near the quality of the real story. The anime team also makes really stupid censorship decisions, like removing most of Naruto's Kyuubi eyes, and the kunai through the palm most recently.

3.) Simply the fact that the anime is completely loyal to the manga works against it. Since they have no choice but to write filler arcs(and so far, they suck at it), the series slows down a lot. Not much they can do about that, but it's one more reason to prefer the manga.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 14:37   Link #30
Yoska
フランキー
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Suomi
Age: 29
If you don't get what happening in manga during fight scenes than your plain stupid. Really, how hard that can be. I ain't manga only reader, I have enjoyed random Naruto episodes when I have been bored but I don't see how could it be any better. Who knows, maybe I have watched wrong episodes. This kind of threads only pops into Naruto forums for some reason.

And for a record, Naruto have most easiest fight scenes to follow, ever. To me, Oh! great's mangas have been in occassionally hard to follow. But things have been clear after getting my hands on real tankoubon's.

Edit: There isn't significant difference between Naruto manga and anime. For what I have seen, they are almost the same.
__________________
How you doin' ? Feelin' super ?

Last edited by Yoska; 2004-09-11 at 14:51.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 14:53   Link #31
Sabaku no Gaara
OMG ****ing EMONINJA ><
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mac
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Sabaku no Gaara Send a message via MSN to Sabaku no Gaara
I myself prefer the Anime. As much as the I really like the manga, IMO it's a little more anti-climactic. I prefer to watch it in action, with voices and things of that matter.

I dunno, just a matter of opinion.
__________________
There isn't enough...blood....
Sabaku no Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 15:41   Link #32
yinstro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMLM3
First off yinstro the manga is pictures, granted you will need some imagination to know what's happening from scene to scene it isn't like reading a book where the extent to which you use your imagination is pretty much boundless.
Second, if you compare the art in naruto to the art in other mangas you'll realize that it is extremely messy, it's good, it's just not that good.
It's true that after reading the manga the anime can get somewhat boring.. which is why I've decided to only watch the anime. The thing is, after reading the manga not only do yo already know what's going to happen, you're waiting for those really cool scenes precisely because you've used your imagination. So while only watching the anime means you won't be using your imagination as much (well I tend to start thinking about everything they don't show and how the naruto world works, etc. But that's up to each reader and each viewer.) it does mean that it stops being dissapointing and starts being more enjoyable.
For example, I tried to read the manga from chapter one when I started reading but I simply couldn't, I already knew pretty much everything and was dissapointed that some of the scenes I liked very much never actually existed or lacked the 'coolness' they had in the anime. It's not a one way deal, it can happen both ways.
Oh and am I correct in assuming that you began watching the anime late and watched up to around say, episode 70 or so without having to wait weeks between episodes? This happened to me too, the fact is, you get used to the pace, and when you run out of episodes and have to wait a whole week for the next one you start getting bored of waiting. I've recently shown Naruto to some friends, everything from episode 80 or so to episode 100. They loved it, especially the sannin fight.

the manga, is drawn well, the author doesnt have a flashy style but he can take simple pictures and make them look cool, also he is very good at showing and depicting action scenes imo. as far as the having to wait for episodes, i might agree, but its been awhile now, and i can safely say its not about having to wait. the truth is in the last 15 or so episodes, the action has been stilted, the animation poor and the filler usually very poorly executed. Someone mentioned that the manga and anime were virtually the same, they were, but this is no longer being the case. in fact the anime used to do a really good job depicting the manga. recently it hasnt. like zek said the writers are really bad at writing and directing thier own scenes. and thier filler techniques seem to have gottem more obvious. for example i liked the last episode but i had to be like damn when they flashback to the same scene twice in one episode..
yinstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 18:26   Link #33
Xephiro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
i vote for the manga over the anime because of the pace. although it has slowed significantly these past chapters.

however, Scy's avatar makes me wanna change my vote.
Xephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 19:07   Link #34
Spooky-Electric
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Manga, definitely. Especially now that the anime is going to start delving in lame filler. The manga is always to the point and you never have to worry about ridiculous filler or inconsistent animation.

Though I will say seeing the fights is obviously better in anime form.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 19:40   Link #35
A.L.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I voted for the manga.

Don't get me wrong, now. I absolutely LOVE the anime. It has action, color, voices, etc. I don't mind the filler, because bad things will happen if they caught up. It has some nice, added stuff and details that are fun to find.

But I like the manga better. Time can definitely be a factor. When you start getting busy, it's faster to read the manga than the anime. Also, I'm a fan of Kishimoto's art. I like his style and the way he draws. The characters' faces are different and everything. I like the pictures in the beginning of each chapter and the way they characters are designed. (Except when it comes to shoulders. Those just get on my nerves sometimes, but it doesn't really count, because I see it both in anime and manga.) When Kishimoto's style is animated, it's not done by him, but many other artists with different styles.

Also, the story is a bit different than the anime counterpart. Though, I see no preferences there. The fights also look nice for something that's not animated. I see the fight as I imagine it and when I see the anime, I can see how they move for real. The way they fight and pose, it's nice seeing still pictures of dramatic poses and such.

Also, I love the manga, because that was the reason I started liking Naruto. When I first got Shonen Jump, it had the first Naruto and I enjoyed it highly. Then, I got the anime, and I liked it even with the differences, because I don't mind the differences. I then got a hold of the translated, up-to-date manga while still continuing to buy the American Shonen Jump. I still haven't lost touch with the nice feel of the manga.

Lastly, I like the manga better, because I'm a fan of the old school. I enjoy older anime better than new ones. Even if they are better animated. Better effects and nicer, newer color doesn't have that much effect on me. That doesn't stop me from liking black and white films, too. But Naruto is still a good anime, even if I prefer its manga counterpart over it.
__________________
Chosen Hopeless Nothingness
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 20:10   Link #36
OMchan
オムちゃん
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
I like the manga better. Maybe it's because I got to it first before the anime, but I tend to like the manga over the anime for other series as well (i.e. Fullmetal Alchemist).
__________________

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 21:40   Link #37
Icer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I watch the anime and read the manga.

In the end, the manga is much better. But I still enjoy the anime.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 21:46   Link #38
Rhythmic
I <3 Hina-chan!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 30
Manga better,



It always seemes the anime took fights and toned them down like the neji vs naruto, Kiba vs Naruto, They toned down alot of the violence.
I think the only fight that ended up better in the anime was the Rock Lee vs Gaara fight.
Rhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 22:07   Link #39
sOnJoOL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
book - visual imagination, reading.
manga - reading...
anime - nothing........

what i believe is that manga is better.
reasons.
1. Manga usually has better drawing.
2. Is the original
3. It's accessible easily. (that is if you have bought it, which i did btw)

an exception where i like anime more than manga is GetBackers.
And one thing that changes my decision is Which Studio does the animation.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 23:10   Link #40
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Manga, by a long shot. I almost always like the manga much more. The art is usually better, though there are a few series where I like the anime design more than the manga ones. These are usually all shoujo manga where the characters are so overdrawn and flowery that I can barely stand it.

Something about still pictures grabs me. The one that keeps popping into my head is the frame in Chapter 137, page 7, where Gaara and Naruto are leaping at each other, then it cuts to the Third taking Oro's jutsu and talking about the strength of the Leaf, until the last panel of the chapter, which is Naruto following through on his gnarly punch. It was awesome.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.