AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-09-14, 02:46   Link #1
Cuckooguy

Exclamation Stupid Arabasta Thought

It's obvious that Arabasta is a pretty dry country, with all the droughts and all.

What I find funny, though, is how they still have problems with water shortages, but a lot of the cities are right next to the frickin' ocean. The cities Nanohana, Katorea and Erumalu are all close to bodies of water. I'm sure a lot of other places have ways of distilling ocean water. I mean, unless the whole One Piece world gets their fresh water from rain, or every island has some kind of fresh water supply somewhere except Arabasta.

Just something funny that came to mind.
Cuckooguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 19:15   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Actually, the technology to distill salt water similar to the type found in the ocean did not come about until I believe the 1920's or so, well into the industrial revolution. If you consider that most of OP's technology is earth 1700's level technology, with a few splicings of early 1900's technology tossed in, then you have to consider that it is 90% likely that they do not posess the technology in that time period to achieve water distilation. IF you notice, they don't even have public water works in most towns. Water is taken from whatever well they can get it from.

Now, on a side note of my own, has anyone noticed that regardless of where you go the ocean is no more than maybe 50 feet deep in most places? In a few I've seen the water as deep as 100-120feet tops. Kind of strange, no?
Old 2004-09-14, 23:54   Link #3
Link

Send a message via AIM to Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Now, on a side note of my own, has anyone noticed that regardless of where you go the ocean is no more than maybe 50 feet deep in most places? In a few I've seen the water as deep as 100-120feet tops. Kind of strange, no?
You are saying that the ocean is only 50 feet deep averagely....?
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 02:00   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

In real life? No. In OP however it certainly seems that way. Have you ever noticed that when they have to dive into the water, it's honestly not much more than 50 feet deep in most places. Even deep into the grand line out in the middle of nowhere it's still surprisingly shallow for a great ocean.
Old 2004-09-15, 05:43   Link #5
Yoska
フランキー

I recall, so far the sea underwater is showed only once in a whole series in book 24.
Spoiler:

It was quite deep.
Old 2004-09-15, 13:28   Link #6
ragweed
woah woah!

Have you ever wondered why they fight the marines instead of the navy? =P
ragweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 00:35   Link #7
~ninjacowboy~
wheres the middle finger?

Send a message via AIM to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via MSN to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ninjacowboy~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed
Have you ever wondered why they fight the marines instead of the navy? =P
because marines handle the seas in OP land?