AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2003-12-05, 13:11   Link #21
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wucherkater
And a last word: Everybody should use the OS which he like ... there is no this or this is the best OS, their is only this is the best OS for my work
Good man, Wucherkater! Yeah, I use Mandrake and KDE Desktop Environment and I'm quite aware how windows-like it is, but personally I have no strong hatred about the way windows looks, etc. I started using Linux a few months ago because it's more stable than windows. My Windows version is ME and it would crash and/or freeze all the time. I just got sick of scandisk and the blue screen of death all the time. So, I haven't had those types of problems with Mandrake so I'm happy with it. It's by no mean an escape from everything windows for me. It's finding an OS I don't have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL all the time with.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 13:22   Link #22
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

Errmm im a little confused about what linux is and used for? i thought it was just an OS in which ya type commands and stuff *lots of ppl sed its not so user friendly* but then i see this desktop of vulkars and its not what i expected linux to be...anyone explain?
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 13:54   Link #23
Wucherkater
"Have you mooed today?"

Quote:
Errmm im a little confused about what linux is and used for? i thought it was just an OS in which ya type commands and stuff *lots of ppl sed its not so user friendly* but then i see this desktop of vulkars and its not what i expected linux to be...anyone explain?
You can choose the way you control your GNU/Linux system. When you are a fan of nice looking GUIs and userfriendly styles you use KDE (the pic you showed is a screenshot of KDE ) or gnome and nice GUI software. And I think mostly these software is user friendly. Or you use console tools. I use both but I use console tools more like my IRC client and my video player and my text editor and many more. But also I use GUI tools like mozilla, xmms and so on.

here is a screenshot how my destktop workspace 2 of 8 looks atm
(sorry for the pig size but that is my wallpaper -.-)

http://www.kitsune.mynetcologne.de/s...nshot_wuka.png
Wucherkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 14:14   Link #24
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

ooo rite lol thanx, i understand now ^_~
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 15:02   Link #25
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitation
ooo rite lol thanx, i understand now ^_~
ooh...my screenshot is in two threads now! It's becoming famous.

Yeah...Linux is pretty customizable so, you can make it as command-line like or graphic as you like. Right there, I using KDE desktop environmet and running Opera (yes Opera has a linux version!!), xine (best video player ever!!), konqueror (file manager), and GAIM (Instant Messenger). For most of the most commonly used gui software in windows, you can find it's linux equivalent pretty easy. Granted some of the linux software doesn't have as many features as their windows competitors, but I don't use all those minute features in windows anyway.

Here's a rough list of what I use and how it compares to windows:
Media Player Classic/BS Player - Xine: Xine plays all video formats I use and playing ogm files is much easier than windows.
AIM/Trillian - GAIM: Gaim logs onto multiple IM providers. Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc. File transfer end of it still sucks but cool program.
Adobe Photoshop - The Gimp: The Gimp doesn't have nearly as many features as Photoshop nor is it as easy to do precisely what you wish. Still a superb photo editing program. Photoshop is basically the only reason I log into windows most weeks.
Internet Explorer/Opera - Konqueror/Opera/Mozilla I use Opera for everything and it's pretty much exactly the same as the windows version. Only complaint is no Linux Shockwave player support and no embedded video player use (i.e. for Quicktime streaming movies)
Winamp - XMMS Xmms player basically is Winamp. It's exactly the same and I love them both equally.
MIrc - Xchat I've never been particularly a fan of MIrc so, I'm liking Xchat better...you can set a transparent background in it...woohoo.

For ever program I've listed up here, there are also about 3+ alternatives being made somewhere. There is a lot to choose from.

So, yeah Grav, linux can be fairly user friendly and graphical software oriented (particularly in my case, as in above). Is it as user friendly as Windows? no. Is it more customizeable than windows. Yes. And in my case, I find it more stable.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 20:44   Link #26
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forse
heh...I guess you never tried any good distro. Is it hard to type apt-get install app (emerge kde in gentoo)? That will install app for you...with only one command line and it can be removed with apt-get remove app (if memory serves me right...I don't like debian). Can you remove software permenantly in Windows with one command without leaving any unneeded registry entries and files that are not needed anymore?
FYI i've have tried almost all distros of Linux. Linux does have some features Windows could incorporate into their software but what Linux doesn't have is the simplicity, ease of use and backing by virtually all hardware & Software companies. Linux was not made for the home user in mind it was created by a fricking programmer who wanted to see if he could create his own operating system from Unix.
Old 2003-12-05, 21:03   Link #27
wnkryo
HainShodan

Im going to be the odd one out here and ask....

"What is a linux"??

*waits for the computer nerds to stab me with thier pocket pens*
Old 2003-12-06, 02:26   Link #28
Hamza

I have installed Linux Redhat v.8 on my pc, but I can't seem to find a way to install bittorrent on it. Anyone here have any idea where i can find bittorrent installation files for linux?
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 02:35   Link #29
Galaxy

V.8! there's v.9 out you know, and there's no .exe for linux, you need to make it, find the .tz2 or tar file (sorry for misnaming them if I did, I did not go into my linux OS for quite some time)
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 02:56   Link #30
Hamza

I knew there was a version 9 out there, but if i had decided to download it, it would take forever, (there are 3 cds you know). But I had version 8 already. someone gave it to me a while back, but i never got a chance to install it.

Now i am a total newbie when it comes to linux. I'll fix anything in windows, but Linux is totally different. I didn't even know that I couldn't access my files in my other hard-drive (which is ntfs running xp). :-( all of my anime is there, hehe

so what do mean by making it? is there any online help with that?

thanks!
Old 2003-12-06, 03:48   Link #31
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You need to install Python, though. I don't know how to use Red Hat so I won't volunteer.
Old 2003-12-06, 06:22   Link #32
Wucherkater
"Have you mooed today?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
*waits for the computer nerds to stab me with thier pocket pens*
So everybody how is familiar with using an other OS like Windows is a nerd ? I don't think so ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Linus is an OS.
You are wrong! Linux is no OS it is only the kernel GNU/Linux is the OS and his distros but not Linux itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza
I have installed Linux Redhat v.8 on my pc, but I can't seem to find a way to install bittorrent on it. Anyone here have any idea where i can find bittorrent installation files for linux?
Download this: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/BitTorrent-3.3.tar.gz

type: tar xzvf BitTorrent-3.3.tar.gz

Then go into the dir and start your Programm with ./bt.... or read the README file

Last edited by Wucherkater; 2003-12-06 at 06:38.
Old 2003-12-06, 06:37   Link #33
Hamza

Thanks everyone :-)
Old 2003-12-06, 06:49   Link #34
Wucherkater
"Have you mooed today?"

But anyhow GNU/Linux is the OS everybody call it Linux but the real OS is called GNU/Linux but that is a flame like mplayer is better than xine so we better stop it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza
Thanks everyone :-)
np ^^
Old 2003-12-06, 14:05   Link #35
arzme

Never realised that my posting will get this much replies!! *bow down* many thanks for all the valuable tips, recomendation, links, etc. I really like 'Forse' replies... very very informative... the others are good too!!!

I side steps a bit. I really a newbie! I tried knoppix 3.3, really took my breath away.. really cool, man!! But thats it... i don't know wht to do next... i can't even know how to change my screen resolution... but that is okay, i will find out. It is a learning curve... it suppose to be irritating, fustration, seek there n here & fun!!

One question: Why is linux user not prone to virus attack or hack? Since it is a open source, the hacker or 'virus breeder' can just check for any loop hole tht can be tken advantage off. If my question is stupid... my apologies... i'm a newbie afterall.
arzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 14:22   Link #36
DAK

Send a message via ICQ to DAK Send a message via AIM to DAK Send a message via MSN to DAK Send a message via Yahoo to DAK
but people tend not to make virii for linux as there are nowhere near as many home users using linux as there are running windows. They can effect many many more users if they design the virii for windows.
Old 2003-12-06, 14:39   Link #37
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Linus is an OS.
Linus is what they call Mr Torvalds by first name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzme
Since it is a open source, the hacker or 'virus breeder' can just check for any loop hole tht can be tken advantage off.
And since it is open source, other people (not just the software company owning the product) can search for these holes and fix them.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 14:53   Link #38
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
I side steps a bit. I really a newbie! I tried knoppix 3.3, really took my breath away.. really cool, man!! But thats it... i don't know wht to do next... i can't even know how to change my screen resolution... but that is okay, i will find out. It is a learning curve... it suppose to be irritating, fustration, seek there n here & fun!!
I think you can switch through the available resolutions with Ctrl-Alt-+ (the + is on your number pad). But maybe Knoppix doesn't support very high screen resolutions...

Quote:
One question: Why is linux user not prone to virus attack or hack? Since it is a open source, the hacker or 'virus breeder' can just check for any loop hole tht can be tken advantage off. If my question is stupid... my apologies... i'm a newbie afterall.
That's a good question. The two best answers are:
1) It's open source, so everyone who can understand programming and locate and fix security holes before the software becomes final.
2) It's not Three major package-serving computers were compromised at the start of this month, a first in Linux history. That shows that even Linux is fallable; luckily, the break-ins were detected and security patches were submitted within 24 hours. Open source at work!
Old 2003-12-06, 15:02   Link #39
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Well it usually after program has been made it enters so called unstable tree, where anyone can download it and run...if they notice any holes or other bugs they post a bug report to authors or make patch by themself and send it to authors. After it has been in unstable tree long enough and bug reports stoped coming...program enters the stable tree where it's considered secure and stable. In *nix world it takes quite long to get to the stable tree (apache2 is one good example....took forever to get to stable)

So if you want to run latest software and don't care about bugs (usually on worstation) then use so called unstable If you want stability then use stable tree.

Also I think running Linux from VMware is your best bet here....that way u can click and try and not care if something goes wrong
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 22:13   Link #40
Hamza

do you need to buy anything to use VMware? or is it free?