AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Old 2008-01-20, 20:27   Link #181
tatami
back in black

i think its because of its large background...

a good backround is the backbone of a story...

naruto as a serie got a world of his own detailed a lot, have a lot of characters and stories of their own...so anyone can find a char that he likes...

you cant do it so easily with 1 hero and regular world...its so hard...

just as Lotr...create a detailed world and you are god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthas1011 View Post
Maybe its like harry potter... you know:

1. Little guy with something that makes him the curiosity of the neighborhood

2. Defying death all the time

3. Magical stuff

4. Cool people looking worse off when compared to the less fortunate
it sounded like star wars to me

Last edited by Hunter; 2008-01-23 at 17:01.
tatami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 17:19   Link #182
ghstwrld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstwrld View Post
I'm looking for a thread on NF that addressed the same topic, but haven't been able to find it. I think some one had brought up the fact that Naruto's popularity is due to the perfect storm of it being relatively new at the time, a fansubbing boom, dsl becoming wide spread, dbz could have possibly been ending at the time, and there may have been some other stuff (WOW, that's more than a little vague lol).

Hopefully, someone more knowledgable can elaborate on this line of thinking.
I found the quote I was looking for, but I forgot to note which thread I got it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catterix
Naruto arrived in Japan during the boom of digital fansubbing. That's a fact. It just was... What's more is that Naruto was largely responsible for the amazingly large amount of fansubbing going on now.

There are loads of anime now that didn't get subbed until much later. For example, Hunter X Hunter was an amazing success in Japan. Absolutely massive, bigger than Naruto is now. And yet its never been licensed or dubbed in English. Fansubs of it didn't arrive until around 2002-2003. Why is this? Because it began in 1999. When fansubbing had not taken the internet by storm. It finished by 2001. It completely escaped the fansubbing boom. It has since been fansubbed, but never reached any amazing fame.

OP for example, began in 1999. But fansubs didn't appear until around 2001-2002. Its reached a large amount of fame now in the internet world, but really only because it is still going on. Had it ended in 2001, much less people would know about it.

Naruto was the surge anime fans had been looking for. It was a brand new show, unlike OP or HXH, there weren't already 50-100 or so episodes unsubbed already released (and thus a tiresome job), and as it began, it came over onto the internet and was fansubbed. Not only would Broleta's analogy work of Naruto being released in 1999 not being so successful, but what's more; had Naruto just begun now, and there was already this amazing love for Fansubbing; it would not have reached the success it has now.

Naruto for a long time was the only one of its kind; a brand new, similar-to-DBZ shonen anime, that was being pumped onto the net. It deserves fame and success because it is a great story, but there's no denying that it was the series that was released at the perfect time. Its timing couldn't have been better, and in any other circumstance; it would not have been so successful.
ghstwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 19:40   Link #183
Naruto007

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse View Post
I have been asking myself the same question. Why is everyone so hyped about naruto. Well i have only seen 11ep of it and all i can say is that there is nothing spectacular about it. But i do say it is a good anime worth watching. If you can get past how long the series is. 100+ episode is alot and you have to be really dedicated if you watch this series. But I cannot say this series is groundbreaking in any way, shape or form.
lol, I think if you kept watching you wouldnt stop. I just want to see the ending is...

So many questions that are not answered in naruto....
Naruto007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 11:56   Link #184
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto007 View Post
lol, I think if you kept watching you wouldnt stop. I just want to see the ending is...

lol..Indeed...That is why my friend doesn't like watching anime series that haven't finished..He doesn't like waiting for the next chapter to come out...but then again, I think we can ll say that we don't blame him.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 12:40   Link #185
ShanaChan
Flame Haze.

Send a message via Skype™ to ShanaChan
Well,in my country,Lithuania,It's allmost the most popular anime.
But I dont think its that great xD
Old 2008-02-10, 20:13   Link #186
vision55

It deals with Ninjas enough said!
vision55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 20:20   Link #187
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstwrld View Post
I found the quote I was looking for, but I forgot to note which thread I got it from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catterix
Naruto arrived in Japan during the boom of digital fansubbing. That's a fact. It just was... What's more is that Naruto was largely responsible for the amazingly large amount of fansubbing going on now.

There are loads of anime now that didn't get subbed until much later. For example, Hunter X Hunter was an amazing success in Japan. Absolutely massive, bigger than Naruto is now. And yet its never been licensed or dubbed in English. Fansubs of it didn't arrive until around 2002-2003. Why is this? Because it began in 1999. When fansubbing had not taken the internet by storm. It finished by 2001. It completely escaped the fansubbing boom. It has since been fansubbed, but never reached any amazing fame.

OP for example, began in 1999. But fansubs didn't appear until around 2001-2002. Its reached a large amount of fame now in the internet world, but really only because it is still going on. Had it ended in 2001, much less people would know about it.

Naruto was the surge anime fans had been looking for. It was a brand new show, unlike OP or HXH, there weren't already 50-100 or so episodes unsubbed already released (and thus a tiresome job), and as it began, it came over onto the internet and was fansubbed. Not only would Broleta's analogy work of Naruto being released in 1999 not being so successful, but what's more; had Naruto just begun now, and there was already this amazing love for Fansubbing; it would not have reached the success it has now.

Naruto for a long time was the only one of its kind; a brand new, similar-to-DBZ shonen anime, that was being pumped onto the net. It deserves fame and success because it is a great story, but there's no denying that it was the series that was released at the perfect time. Its timing couldn't have been better, and in any other circumstance; it would not have been so successful.
I read a quote somewhere, don't ask it was a quote from years ago I couldn't even find it again, that in 2000 a large amount of colleges and universities finally and effectively were able to give fast and effiecent internet to their students. So, this created a large demand for anime, and, as the post said, Naruto arrived right as this was happening.
james0246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 17:02   Link #188
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

I enjoy it on a couple of years.
but when I finished watching better animus than Naruto, like CG , TTGL , Higurashi and intense storyline and, Quality over Quantity animus, I found Naruto sucks, and overrated fail. I'd been fooled and worship Naruto for years but not now.
Anyway. at least I continue reading the manga.. but with no amusement.

Last edited by AuditionEX; 2008-02-11 at 18:02.
AuditionEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 17:16   Link #189
gibits
Endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto007 View Post

Try reading the manga, Kishi just had a bout of plothole diarrhea.

If you want mystery try Death Note.

Why is Naruto popular? If we were just talking about part 1, I'd say it had the promise of an epic adventure. Were the underdog would rise thru huge obstacles become king/kage, and lead the country thru its time of dire need.

It had great bad guys, cool fights that required skill and brains, and a main character that was funny and likable, and a plot that hinted at something more.

It still has cool bad guys (Sasori and Pain) but the rest......not so much. I stopped reading around the time team Kakashi started looking for Itachi, just recently started again hoping it would improve, but sadly it didn't.

I think ppl just continue out of habit and convince themselves they still like it. Or they lowered their standards to tolerate all the fillers and plot-holes.

Basically Naruto tried to be the Berserk of the shounen world and failed miserably.
gibits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 17:25   Link #190
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibits View Post
Try reading the manga, Kishi just had a bout of plothole diarrhea.

If you want mystery try Death Note.

Why is Naruto popular? If we were just talking about part 1, I'd say it had the promise of an epic adventure. Were the underdog would rise thru huge obstacles become king/kage, and lead the country thru its time of dire need.

It had great bad guys, cool fights that required skill and brains, and a main character that was funny and likable, and a plot that hinted at something more.

It still has cool bad guys (Sasori and Pain) but the rest......not so much. I stopped reading around the time team Kakashi started looking for Itachi, just recently started again hoping it would improve, but sadly it didn't.

I think ppl just continue out of habit and convince themselves they still like it. Or they lowered their standards to tolerate all the fillers and plot-holes.

Basically Naruto tried to be the Berserk of the shounen world and failed miserably.
Apt analogy, I couldn't have said it better myself. Hopefully, if Kishimoto continues with a Part III, the manga will follow Naruto, a grown-up Naruto, into better pastures. Otherwise, the series will end on a somewhat lackluster finale/epilogue, much the same as the comparable Harry Potter series.
james0246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 17:59   Link #191
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

Imo. it must be "Why Sasuke is so popular than Naruto?" and why kishi overpowered him?

dont cha think? and so the title would be "Sasuke" lol

and I think there would be another Timeskip. Naruto is weak compared to Sasuke or even Pain (if he knew the secret)
AuditionEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 13:12   Link #192
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditionEX View Post
Imo. it must be "Why Sasuke is so popular than Naruto?" and why kishi overpowered him?

dont cha think? and so the title would be "Sasuke" lol

and I think there would be another Timeskip. Naruto is weak compared to Sasuke or even Pain (if he knew the secret)
lol..Yea...good point...I think the reason why Sasuke is over powerd is because it gives Naruto something to work for. I mean, we know he wants to be more powerful than Sasuke, so if Sasuke is like UBER STRONG then Naruto will have the determination to get there.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 13:48   Link #193
Kashi Hatake
CAT FORM NO JUTSU!

Well you see the reason i think Naruto is so popular is because almost everybody can relate to him in some way and sometimes it is just for the fun
Spoiler for Funny stuff about why i think naruto is soo popular:
Kashi Hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 04:44   Link #194
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

Naruto is popular because at one point it was pretty good. And also, it's among the limited anime series that makes it overseas, and its dubbed version readily available.

Aside from that... I guess its target audience is of a younger age group; mostly the group that don't really expect to see much depth in their anime, just some action and occasional fanservice.

Working on a big project!
Gotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 08:26   Link #195
DJ*

It filled the void left by DB/Z/GT.

I loved DBZ in my younger years and is still a fave of mine. Naruto however will not be looked back on fondly in years to come.

That said, had I watched Naruto 10 years ago, I'd be fine with the way it's currently going.
Old 2008-03-23, 16:52   Link #196
Poketto Kunoichi

Well, I'm 13, but I don't like it because everyone else does (mostly).

It's their world. The complexity of it... The countries and how things work, it's almost like it's real. And the characters, they're highly developed and seem like real people, affected by change and growing. The characters get me hooked, since their personalities are deep and interesting.

Or maybe it's because I don't have a life so Naruto just compells me.
Poketto Kunoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 20:32   Link #197
HikariYume

Omg i was thinkin the same thing a few days ago...I like it because it's funny and ninjas are cool. And lets not forget Gaara...I luuuuv Gaara
Old 2008-03-23, 20:38   Link #198
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I did indeed watch Naruto a few years ago. I would not compare it to DBZ. I actually do believe it's a better series. It's characters were more engrossing and it actually did have emotional moments. Sasuke death/Haku death, anyone? Those were not typical DBZ fare. But somewhere along the line the show just decided to fall in with the shounen stereotype and pattern. I actually wrote a long blog post about Naruto about a similar topic:

http://omohide.com/13/remember-narut...never-hate-it/

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 07:43   Link #199
Suhaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaChan View Post
Well,in my country,Lithuania,It's allmost the most popular anime.
But I dont think its that great xD
Not really the most popular was and i think still is DBZ. Naruto just starts to take over. I've heard that they will air Naruto on TV. It was siad that it will be aired this spring but i haven't seen it yett...
Yeah i'm talking about Lithuania
Naruto is popular cause it was good at the begining. Everyone started to wach it and now they just want to see how everything ends...that's what i think
As for me Naruto is a total crap but i'm waching it just to see how it ends...X.x
Old 2008-10-09, 01:40   Link #200
lolitaninja

I think it's an overall entertaining show. Hey, it may not be the most original one (I think originality is overrated anyway), but it has enough adrenaline to keep me watching. I especially like how all the characters have their own unique personalities. I think that's why it appeals to many people (even middle-aged women! And I've met one who's into Naruto!)
lolitaninja is offline   Reply With Quote