AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-09-16, 06:11   Link #41
HoboGod
Necromancer
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cardboard Box
Age: 29
Alot of optamistic posts here...

The reason naruto is popular isn't because of some hidden quality that makes it better than most series. Naruto is popular because the show itself is vauge and appeals to various people.

Naruto is an example of capitalism at its best. It is a fighting anime for boys, so young boys already watch it. It has romance which young girls would appeal to. It has violence that teenage boys would appeal to. It has lighthearted comedy which appeals to teenage girls. It has perverted humor which appeals to teenagers and young adults. It has dark themes that apply to depressed and gothic people. It has mindless entertainment that appeals to easy-going people. It has inspiring themes that appeal to social regects and the overly popular.

And it has almost anything else you can think of that will get people watching.... even the ocasional homicidal maniac that appeals to the insensitive jerk.
__________________

"All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
<(^.^<) 2 wrongs make a right, 3 rights make a left. (>^.^)>
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 06:36   Link #42
Yoska
フランキー
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Suomi
Age: 29
I have wondered that too. There isn't anything special in Naruto and people still like it a lot. It might be because of good start and Zabuza arc is imo pretty good. After Zabuza it's have been a downhill. Chuunin arc was boring ( 10 volumes long and a paper test ) and current arc is pure late Dragonball. I still read newest chapters just because of a habit, there are a lot of better series. Like many other series Naruto became popular in the net community after anime was released and if I recall right bittorrent was debuted in the same time as Naruto. New easy way to share anime made Naruto popular. But it's rather popular in Japan too, kids like it. Naruto movie is doing well. A good reason could be that the animation sticks close to the original. In a fact I haven't seen an anime series that follows manga so faithfully. I'm still saying this but One Piece would be more popular in the net if the animation would have been more true to comic's begining. People judge a series from first episodes, I do that too. There are plenty of series which starts to be great after a time. But then again there is Fullmetal Alchemist which is popular even though it doesn't follow the manga. A thing that bugs me lot is how many are saying thing like Naruto is good because "there are a lot of mysteries and we don't know for sure". These are basics of shounen action series, every series got a lot of mysteries like in Naruto (even more) and we don't know for sure. You know, Buffy the vampire slayer got a lot mysteries too. This kind of things just make me wonder what is Naruto's fans overall experience with comics and animations. In the whole Naruto isn't great but it's not bad either, clearly above the avarage. It's made to fit for a big audience, mainstream like Britney Spears. It's not that bad to like it.

Edit: One more thing. Naruto isn't really popular with girls. There is a lack of strong induvidual girl/woman characters with good character growth and only a few hot male characters. Countrary series like Bleach and Prince of Tennis seems to have more girl than boy fans although they are boys series.
__________________
How you doin' ? Feelin' super ?
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 07:24   Link #43
Zidane
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Somewhere on the blue ball we call earth
Age: 31
It might be just me, but im under the impression from reading various forums that the average naruto fan hasnt seen much else but naruto and most of the time dbz or rurouni kenshin. Rarely giving any other anime a proper chanse, or just watching 1 ep of something and then dismissing it as not cool or not naruto like. I didnt come to this conclusion over a day or something. Any other people who see the same thing?
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 08:55   Link #44
coash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
I watch it for their cool individual skills
coash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 10:13   Link #45
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
And you base that on what?
In the Country of origin, Japan the movie has been in the top 10 for over a month, I happends to see a Japanese Comedy show when I was in Taiwan , where grown-ups dressed up funny and impersonated certain characters. Naruto was one of them and a whole theatre immediately got the punchline and started laughing like crazy.

On Animesuki when a Naruto episode is released. Within 2 hours of the first release (A-H these days) over 3000 people are downloading it. A-H said the overal number per ep was close to either 10.000 or 100.000 I forgot. And that's without ANBU and AONE releases.

On the Animesuki forum the Naruto forum has more than 4 times the amount on threads then the 2nd favorite, Full Metal alchemist, and a staggering 85.000 posts. (The fact that Naruto is on air longer is a factor here but bear with me)

The Anime is starting to have a lot of merchandise, Videogames (there will be 4 at the end of the year, card games and toys.

Now tell me, wich other recent Anime has such an audience in terms of downloads/forum interest?

Ofcourse I don't know excact statistics so I could be wrong
You can't base things on fansubbing and stuff like that. The fact taht Naruto has a lot of subbers even when it first started(well maybe not at the very beginning) may have to do with that. But there are alot more popular manga series and anime that are very unpopular on fansubbing forums and stuff(take One Piece with an extremely popular manga or Detective Conan). The point is there are anime/manga that are a lot more popular than this and I don't just mean 1 or 2.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 10:25   Link #46
fzz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland
Send a message via ICQ to fzz Send a message via MSN to fzz
one of my main intrests is the story behind each character, and how they develop among the serie

but offcourse the action with the hand seals, all the different jutsu's and offcourse
everybody has theyr own and special ability...
i.e. gaara fights with sand, shino with bugs, kankuro with a puppet etc etc.

this overall makes it a bit different then any other anime
and sometimes its also funny to name a character.. MAITO gai! and kakashi
fzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 11:44   Link #47
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
You can't base things on fansubbing and stuff like that. The fact taht Naruto has a lot of subbers even when it first started(well maybe not at the very beginning) may have to do with that. But there are alot more popular manga series and anime that are very unpopular on fansubbing forums and stuff(take One Piece with an extremely popular manga or Detective Conan). The point is there are anime/manga that are a lot more popular than this and I don't just mean 1 or 2.

You're mixing things up, the reason there are and have been a lot of fansubbers for Naruto is maybe because it's...popular? Popular does not equal good,
Popular means: Widely liked or appreciated
Naruto is just that now isn't it? My thread isn't called, why is naruto so good? is it?
Nor did I say Naruto is the most popular serie at the moment, so your objecting to the wrong things.

As for One Piece, it's immensely popular on all the forums, the fact is, (because it's licensed) It's only subbed by K-F and does not reach as much people as Naruto does. Same for Detective Conan, One of the reason Naruto is popular may be it's availability One way or another...it's popular

On another note,
Dont get me wrong people. Naruto is just one of the Anime's I like. My favorites are One Piece, Samurai Champloo, Love hina, GITS, Hellsing, Hikaru No go, Wolf
s rain and many more.
I'v seen a lot of things posted here wich I agree with, Naruto is not that great of a serie. It's just very enjoyable and it gives us plenty to talk about. I was just wondering why that is, why Naruto?

Oh well, my question got awnsered and im looking forward to more.
__________________
hm....
Animizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 13:09   Link #48
Divination
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere on Earth
i watch naruto cause its funny, has drama/action/suspense/
its cool, no other anime/manga hasnt really got into much depth into most the characters in naruto it goes into loadsa depth for instance

naruto- loner when little, sealed with kyubi, wants to be the best, loud rival of
sasuke, wants to be acknowledged (lol wrong spellin i think)

sasuke- loner, wants to kill his bro rival of naruto

sakura- jolly rivals of ino has a deep past with ino

Gaara- Sealed with shakaku (dunno if thats right), COMPLETE loner, PURE evil, wants to love.

Skikamaru- wants to live an "average" but interesting life. So unmotivated but probably the smartest person there is. Likes to stare at clouds

i cant be bothered with the rest
__________________
Whoever reads this owes me 10p
Jeez man for people who are serious the statement above is NOT true
Divination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 16:30   Link #49
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Unhappy Naruto fanboys.............

It seems like alot of these people posting are naruto fanboys are something. Most of you are explaining the feelings or sensations you get when you watch it rather than what makes it so popular. It really gets kinda annoying after alwhile when you see people go balistic over naruto.
__________________
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 18:35   Link #50
ninja massacre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: hidden byhåla of Sweden!
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto4Lifer
I have to agree with you. I'm 22 and I love Naruto. I think a reason is because we can identify with the story line and how we all have to overcome the social stigma's pressed upon us everyday. Everyone of us has some sort of ability or feature that we are not proud of, and yet we move on in life. By watching Naruto we see that passion to overcome these obstacles through his story. It's inspiring even for an animation to have such emotion, love and fear. Even through the other characters such as Rock, we see him chase his dreams no matter what barrier is placed before him, no matter what inability he has, he would stop at nothing and work harder and harder to strive to those goals. We see how Naruto is left in the dark by Sakura, and we have ALL been through that a few times in our lives. What I'm trying to say is, we can relate to the events these characters go through, not identify ourselves with the characters per se, but how they deal with it and move on. And for that reason alone, I love Naruto and it's inspirational message.
EXACTLY!!! that was just what I wanted to write but I'm not that good in expressing my english.
I also love Naruto for the same reason and also that we all have a little Rock Lee and naruto in us. Almost everyone have felt the same way more or less sometime in their life. I think that's the main message in naruto.

and also It's so got damn sad, I can't believe it made me crya and the mix with action, deep drama and comic.
And I'd also like to mention that the music is superb, it makes my adrenaline pump and give me goosebums
__________________
Quote:
If you are a man, live it the way you won't regret. Protect whatever is important to you with these two arms, no matter how tough or sad it is, even if it costs you your life!
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 19:09   Link #51
Sabaku no Gaara
OMG ****ing EMONINJA ><
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mac
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Sabaku no Gaara Send a message via MSN to Sabaku no Gaara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaken
hehe, it's ironic how your avatar is "wo ai luo" (motionless freak)
lol I know, but I think Gaara has a lot of pent up emotion inside his cold exterior. Which is why that gives him such a cold cold attitude. He just doesn't understand it and therefor coping with it makes it harder for him. So his way of coping with it is pushing it all aside and focus on nothing. Because he sure did have a lot of emotion as a kid....
__________________
There isn't enough...blood....
Sabaku no Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 19:33   Link #52
A.L.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
If I were to tell you why I liked Naruto, I could go into an in-depth talk about how I first started liking Naruto and what I love about it. (Characters, manga, anime, music, murchandise, etc.) I could also tell you about my history on lovng anime. However, I'll just wrap it all up in a smaller package:

I like Naruto, because it has some aspects of things from past Shonen manga and anime. However, it is original enough that you want to read and find out what happens and stuff.

For those who complain that Naruto is not original and is too cliche compared to past Shonen things, I believe that that's one of the things that makes Naruto good and continuous. I would feel sad if it ended in the Haku arc. (Although, it would be possible if Kishimoto planned it correctly. He could pull it off well.) I need the feel of the older school. I've seen too many anime out there trying to be original, I miss the older things. That's what make it a good anime to me.

For those who want to know why Naruto is so popular, I think that's it's just the type of trend people like. Dragon Ball did it, and the trend stays the same. Lots of people still like this stuff. Of course, they also probably adore the characters to no end, seeing that there's such a wide variety, that you have to have something in common with at least one character one way or another.

And, of course, the Haku arc did wonders, too.
__________________
Chosen Hopeless Nothingness
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 22:29   Link #53
Ero-Sannin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kuwait
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
because naruto breaks the tradition of most anime in japan, it doesn't have a senseless romance story like fushigu yugi, which for no reason they just fall in love..

and a lot of people crave a story like this..
diffrent world.. so much of it unexplored, and many aspects still not clear to us all yet,may be revealed for example orochimaru's hate for konoha or kakashi's friend who is dead...

also naruto's first episodes were really amazing.. plus the music was soo cool

P.S. guys i dont think a lot of people will bother reading posts that are like 3 pages long, can u keep ur points short and simple

to be a greater writer use fewer words ok...
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 22:40   Link #54
Hyori
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
I have been asking myself the same question. Why is everyone so hyped about naruto. Well i have only seen 11ep of it and all i can say is that there is nothing spectacular about it. But i do say it is a good anime worth watching. If you can get past how long the series is. 100+ episode is alot and you have to be really dedicated if you watch this series. But I cannot say this series is groundbreaking in any way, shape or form.
.. well u havent seen anything yet if uve only seen to ep. 11, This anime has a good story line every character has a background story, its not just some lil ninja kid with a friend who can spit fire? Its obvious uve only seen about 5 episodes, watch all 101 then critisize
Hyori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-16, 23:04   Link #55
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
because naruto breaks the tradition of most anime in japan, it doesn't have a senseless romance story like fushigu yugi, which for no reason they just fall in love..

and a lot of people crave a story like this..
diffrent world.. so much of it unexplored, and many aspects still not clear to us all yet,may be revealed for example orochimaru's hate for konoha or kakashi's friend who is dead...

also naruto's first episodes were really amazing.. plus the music was soo cool

P.S. guys i dont think a lot of people will bother reading posts that are like 3 pages long, can u keep ur points short and simple

to be a greater writer use fewer words ok...
Not to be an ass or anything... I like Naruto and all but...


Naruto is very unoriginal. It's doesn't break the tradition of any anime. I think Oro's hate for Konoha is.... I don't know... very very... very.... very obvious.

I think Naruto is lacking a lot of 'emoational' moments like in the Wave Country arc. One of the things that drew me to the series was stuff like Haku and Zabuza dying. Naruto becoming enraged and stuff. And the fact that Sasuke which the story resolves around wasn't such an ass in the beginning so I can watch it without hate of the character that the thing is about.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 01:54   Link #56
Cort
What???
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Cort
One word...... S-A-K-U-R-A She is the single reason Naruto is popular.

I wouldn't call it deep, and I often find myself thinking a LOT of people like to over-analyze it, but to each their own.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 02:02   Link #57
Spooky-Electric
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
Not to be an ass or anything... I like Naruto and all but...


Naruto is very unoriginal. It's doesn't break the tradition of any anime. I think Oro's hate for Konoha is.... I don't know... very very... very.... very obvious.
Agreed. I love Naruto and all but it is hardly original. If you think it is you clearly haven't seen many anime.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 18:02   Link #58
cdiesel12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to cdiesel12
good charcter development but of course naruto doesnt hold a candle to hajime no ippo the best imho
__________________
cdiesel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 21:12   Link #59
Kidd
SD Translator
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
The Anime is starting to have a lot of merchandise, Videogames (there will be 4 at the end of the year, card games and toys.
Just 4? You're missing out. There's one for wonderswan, soon two for the ps2, soon three for the gamcube, 4 for the gba and one for the ps1. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
Edit: One more thing. Naruto isn't really popular with girls. There is a lack of strong induvidual girl/woman characters with good character growth and only a few hot male characters. Countrary series like Bleach and Prince of Tennis seems to have more girl than boy fans although they are boys series.
Funny that you say that, since all of my female friends that I've shown it to have loved it, along with myself, and I know more than one guy who thinks badly of it. Also my sisters think it's an "ok watch" which is more than they have ever thought of any other show I've shown them, and that includes heavy shoujo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane
It might be just me, but im under the impression from reading various forums that the average naruto fan hasnt seen much else but naruto and most of the time dbz or rurouni kenshin. Rarely giving any other anime a proper chanse, or just watching 1 ep of something and then dismissing it as not cool or not naruto like. I didnt come to this conclusion over a day or something. Any other people who see the same thing?
A lot of people yes, but what's making me annoyed more than anything is the trend that everyone nowadays feels the need of telling the naruto fans that they're "new to anime". Sure it might be true for a lot of people, but it sure isn't for me and a lot of my friends who have been watching for many years, and it's quite frustrating to be seen as someone "who loves a series just because it's mainstream and you won't bother finding another series" just because you happen to find a specific show interesting. There's a lot of prejudice going on against the fans of Naruto, also the fansub groups, and that's not quite right imho; prejudice is never good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
because naruto breaks the tradition of most anime in japan, it doesn't have a senseless romance story like fushigu yugi, which for no reason they just fall in love..
Fushigi Yuugi is the best anime to have ever graced mother earth, take that back ;P
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 21:13   Link #60
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
yea yea.....alotta naruto fanboys other there *takes binoculars and looks around...sees almost an infinity number of fanboys* !!

naruto's good.....its somewhat original....ahem...lemme take pokemon as an example (i know its a hated anime but still..its still an anime..:P)
pokemon: ash goes and catches pokemon.....join..pokemon tournaments...beats gym leaders..etc
this thing happens over and over again in pokemon....

Prince of tennis: u play tennis basically...ryoma gets good..he's a junior ace..(yes i know the series very well cuz i watch it..its gettin a bit repetivtive..but ok..)
the thing that seperates prince of tennis from pokemon IMO is the tenipuri episodes....
SPOILER!!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!! (not really...kinda..not detailed)
naruto: first is the zabuza-haku encounter..then its the chuunin exam..then orochimaru attacks....then jiraiya finds tsunade..sannins go fight...i wont say more.....yes i have read the manga..so i'll shush

FMA: this is a great anime.....its appeal to ppl is totally diff from naruto...fma's work of magic is the story line...its so complicated (well not that complicated..but its more complicated than naruto..and dbz...lol and pokemon....lol..and....yea..)...in this anime...they give u part of the problem..they work towards the solution..and the storyline follows that problem to see how edward and al tries to work out their problem.....instead of just plain out tennis...where there is no acutal goal except to become a great tennis player....
one piece: KAIZOKU!!!!!...one of hte first anime on kaizoku (that i have watched and thought was great)....its a really light hearted anime....way diff from fma....


ps. yes i have watched many anime...such as escaflowne, pokemon, digimon, yugioh, pokemon, hamtaro, yu yu hakusho, naruto, one piece, rurouni kenshin movie samurai x, prince of tennis, full metal alchemist, sailormoon, gundam wing endless waltz, gundam seed, mahou shoujo tai,

im notta naruto fanboy..so hush...all u criticizers....
some ppl will prolly disagree with my POV, but heck...im 11...my taste in anime is totally diff from a 20 yr olds..hmm!?!!
gotta anythign to say? say to my ass WMAUHAAH lol..j/k

some idiots mite dink........NARUTO IS DA BEST ANIME OF ALL....go ahead think what u want.......u might not be right..but u just go think that..
diff genres = no single 1 anime series that will be the best in all anime genres
remember dat..
__________________
23 iS mY lUcKy NuMbEr
Kawaii_tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.