AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-04, 06:18   Link #1
Xhordad
Inactive Member

download stuck on "connecting to peers" even tho seeds are present

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem:

I live in university residence, connecting to the internet through the residence network, I shutted down the firewall, and maked sure there are seeds for the animes I am downloading, but after allocation, the process stucks on connecting to peers for any episode of any anime I've tried. Is it because I'm using the university network? Would that be a router problem?

Thank you kindly
Xhordad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 07:19   Link #2
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhordad
Hi all

I live in university residence, connecting to the internet through the residence network, I shutted down the firewall, and maked sure there are seeds for the animes I am downloading, but after allocation, the process stucks on connecting to peers for any episode of any anime I've tried. Is it because I'm using the university network? Would that be a router problem?

Thank you kindly
Try leaving the window open for a few minutes, bt should start downloading then.
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 14:32   Link #3
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhordad

I just got back to school for spring semester only to encounter the same EXACT problem

Can you really change the ports bittorrent uses? Is there anything I can do about this?..
Or should I silently and tragically accept my defeat
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 14:53   Link #4
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I just got back to school for spring semester only to encounter the same EXACT problem

Can you really change the ports bittorrent uses? Is there anything I can do about this?..
Or should I silently and tragically accept my defeat
On Shadows BT client:

Prefs->Port Range. change the range into something useful (I don't know right now, do a google search)
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 15:41   Link #5
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
but does changing the ports bittorrent uses even do anything? Whats the point of that feature?
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 18:12   Link #6
Hoeboe2k

Yea I'm at a university also. I am trying to connect to the Kimi ga Nozoru Eien and it has one seed but I left it on for 2 hours but wouldn't reconnect on either episode 5 or 8 by Onigiri. I tried connecting to something else (Chrno Crusade) by animekeep and that works.
Hoeboe2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 18:43   Link #7
Hoeboe2k

And is there anyway to route through the university firewall?
Hoeboe2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 03:40   Link #8
Lone Wolf
Hacker-nin

Send a message via AIM to Lone Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoeboe2k
And is there anyway to route through the university firewall?
well, you could find yourself a box with a broadband connection (say a friend/family member) outside the school network and create a tunnel to it and then route your connection through the tunnel, but that's only recommended for advanced users. (read: if you have no clue what i'm talking about, then don't try it) you can try opening a proxy on it, but you might have to use a well-known port (say 80 or 21) if the school firewall is really restrictive, and that is taking a BIG security risk (others will also find your proxy and try to use it)

the only other option is to change the port range that bittorrent uses. if your sysadmin is blocking the default ports, then that could solve the problem. if he is, then don't expect to get that great of a connection speed, as the firewall probably also prohibits incoming connections. if he got really tricky with the firewall, then your only chance is changing the port bittorrent uses and hoping someone else has done the same, both with the client AND tracker.

lonewolf

"You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless"

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!
Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 12:12   Link #9
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

try your nearby campus computer rooms, they should have unblocked all the ports for those computers

make a shared folder in your computer protected with a password, then save your downloaded file from the public computer to your shared folder (the whole campus should be networked)
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote