AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-09-18, 12:56   Link #1
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink Anyone recommend a good RPG?

In good, I mean the story, chracters, etc.

I'm sick and tired of playing a game all the way to the end and get some lame ending. I work too hard! Vv; I've played the Final Fantasy games(duh) and I've also played Grandia II and Kingdom Hearts.

The games I hated playing the most were like:

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits...man that ending just didn't even do anything! It had so much potiental too in the story line... *sniffs*

I thought Grandia X would be good since I LUVED Grandia II but turns out it was the most retarded game I ever played... the voice acting, chracter deveopment, story.. just sucked.

Anyone reccomend something good please? I'm sorry if it sounded like I was ranting in here, I really was trying not too. >>; And by the way, I live in the U.S and not in Europe or anything sooo... yeah.
White_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 13:02   Link #2
lotus_lee

Tales of Symphonia but since it sounds like you own a PS2, then......too bad.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 13:06   Link #3
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_lee
Tales of Symphonia but since it sounds like you own a PS2, then......too bad.
Tales of Symphonia is a ripoff of several other RPGs. I do not suggest that game, even though the graphics and music are decent. If you're looking for story, forget about that game.

A game that i do recommend with a five star rating (in the world of cars) is Xenosaga by Namco. This game has a VERY unique story, great battle system, nice voiceovers and great music, and to top it all off, it has very nice graphics. Its almost too good to be true.

I think that any lover of Final Fantasy would love Xenosaga. Its a long game mind you, 80 hours are bragged about on the cover, and there is going to be a second Xenosaga comming out really soon. If you want to learn more about it, head over to http://www.rpgamer.com and search for a review about it.

I'm sure you will enjoy this one!
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 13:32   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

How about playing some older RPGs, like the ones from the SNES era? I'm all about old-school The newest RPG that I played that totally captured me was FFVIII (FFIX comes close though). IMO they just don't make RPGs like they used to.

Hence, the project in my sig was born

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 14:01   Link #5
DekaMaster
Banned

What systems do you have?
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 14:15   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

For Western RPGs, Planescape Torment (the best story ever, for all platforms), Fallout series, Baldur's Gate series, Wizardry 8, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind.

For Asian RPGs, Star Ocean 2 and 3, Tales of Symphonia, Wild Arms 2, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VI, ChronoTrigger, ChronoCross, Shadow Hearts 2.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 15:18   Link #7
UserName

I haven't played much RPGS lately but my personality favorite has a great ending.

You should definitely try Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 15:48   Link #8
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
I haven't played much RPGS lately but my personality favorite has a great ending.

You should definitely try Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
KOTOR did have a pretty good story, but the battle system pissed me off. Could they have made it any more tedious and annoying?

But ya, to help, we also kind of need to know what systems you currently own.

@Roots: Have you played Xenosaga? I agree with you that older RPGs with simpler graphics usually make for better gameplay, because gameplay was all that they had to work with, but some newer RPG's are really great.

I just have a different taste in RPG's than most people... i go for romance in my fantasy... thats what comes with being a romance junkie, but a game like FFX was really good for me. I'm also enjoying the .hack series, even though it doesn't seem to have any romance involved... it's just fun. I love real time battles!
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 16:06   Link #9
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
What systems do you have?
>.>

Oh yeah.... sorry about that.

Well I don't really like to play the old RPG games, but the game systems that I have are Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, X-Box, Gamecube, computer...

And some gameboy and gameboy advances, but I don't like playing those so much. XD Thank you for all your suggestions right now!

And if you care to know really what kind of good story I'm looking for, I luv fantasy and romance is always a plus but I don't require it. XP Something like Grandia II would get me excited enough. XD

Last edited by White_Line; 2004-09-18 at 16:17.
White_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 16:37   Link #10
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Line
>.>

Oh yeah.... sorry about that.

Well I don't really like to play the old RPG games, but the game systems that I have are Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, X-Box, Gamecube, computer...

And some gameboy and gameboy advances, but I don't like playing those so much. XD Thank you for all your suggestions right now!

And if you care to know really what kind of good story I'm looking for, I luv fantasy and romance is always a plus but I don't require it. XP Something like Grandia II would get me excited enough. XD
Let's see for n64 you are limited to Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario.
Playstation 2 some good ones I like are:
Wild Arms 3
Legia Duel saga
Star Ocean 3
La Pucelle Tactics
Phantom Brave

There are lots of good rpgs out for PS2. If you can get them try hunting down the Lunar games for PSX. You can play them on your PS2 and are just like you described you like. Xbox doesn't have to many RPGs out you could try fable or KOTOR.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 18:28   Link #11
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Magna Carta for the PS2 (JP)

Roots, you have broken links in your website for the 2D RPG game.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 19:13   Link #12
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
Roots, you have broken links in your website for the 2D RPG game.
Ack, really? Where did you find the broken link? I'm going thru it right now and I don't see anything. Thanks

Old 2004-09-18, 20:42   Link #13
AnAlPedoFileMan
hey there lil girlie

Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne, this game is coming out in a couple of weeks. it has multiple endings, Dante from Devil May Cry makes a special appearance & is playable, this game is hard, and its story is based on the occult. wut more can i say about this game??
AnAlPedoFileMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 21:58   Link #14
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Well, the graphics can't be seen on your website Roots. The pictures don't show.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 22:29   Link #15
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
Well, the graphics can't be seen on your website Roots. The pictures don't show.
That's odd. Are you talking about the pics in the nav bar? What browser are you using? I thought we got rid of these problems.

So that I'm not totally off-topic, I heard that the Suikoden series was really good. I've been meaning to buy it for...oh 3 years now? but I never get around to it.

Old 2004-09-18, 23:16   Link #16
X-1000
Banned

Try playing Diablo 2, if you still havent played it yet.
X-1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 23:46   Link #17
Denen Hiryu

some RPG that mostly most eople dont mention are the relly great 1s.

silverstar story complete
lunar2: eternal blue
alundra 1 and 2
shining force
phantasy star 1-6 (i think)
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Ogre Battle
Dragon Warrior I-VII
Star Ocean: 2nd Story
Thousand Arms
Tales of Destiny
Valkyrie Profile
wildarms 1-3
Breath of Fire 1-4
Legend of Dragoon
Legend Of Mana
Koudelka
Brave Fencer Musashi
Brigandine
grandstream saga
Legend of Legaia

this list should last you

most these games are here if you want reviewshttp://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-psed.html

PS: grandstream saga, people say its bad but i think its a badass game i could play it forever. but for some reason it got a bad review......
Denen Hiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 00:03   Link #18
Kamui4356
Aria Company

It seems people are forgetting to mention disgaea. I'm sure it must be an oversight... Anyway I highly recommend that and my current obsession star ocean 3, which has been mentioned before.
Disgaea has a good storyline, and is quite funny. It's a strategy rpg though, so if they aren't your thing, try borrowing it or renting it *if you can find it for rent that is* first. Also be aware of the insane leveling in it. The max level is 9999.

finally you mentioned you liked grandia 2. Have you played the first grandia for psx? if you can find that, I highly recommend it.
Old 2004-09-19, 04:06   Link #19
Rasengan87
Mangekyou Sharingan User

In my opinion, Sword of Mana and the Golden Sun series for Gameboy Advance are quite good choices for rpgs. The storyline and gameplay are totally different, but that's what makes it so fun to play.
Rasengan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 04:52   Link #20
AnAlPedoFileMan
hey there lil girlie

another one that never gets mentioned and is also kinda old is PSX's Persona 2:Eternal Punishment, this aint like ur wimpy Final Fantasy, dungeons can be a pure chore, and same goes with fighting some enemies, shit just getting certain things to happend can be really hard in this game. also if u like even harder rpgs try looking for Persona 1 and good luck with finding them save points
AnAlPedoFileMan is offline   Reply With Quote