AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2004-10-03, 14:18   Link #61
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
You do know she's the poster girl of plastic surgery at nearly 50 years of age, right?
Wow, and I thought my puns were bad..........
Old 2004-10-04, 01:37   Link #62
Za Paper

I bet no one here remembers Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. That show was awesome.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 01:39   Link #63
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
hehehe

megas XLR was pretty funny
Old 2006-01-21, 03:56   Link #64
stretch87
Anime Addict

Best western animation?

i thought of making this thread because samurai jack just came on my tv and it's actually pretty good. samurai jack is definitely my favourite western animation. jack is so cool!!! what western animations, if any, do you all like?
stretch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 06:17   Link #65
cheese no koma
kita kita oyaji

jonny bravo, he reminds me of elvis and some other random jokes.
cheese no koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 07:33   Link #66
Eclipze
Ouran dansen

Sponge bob square pants definately rocks. Funny, lights my my mood when I'm down.

But thats that. In general, Im not too found of western animation, mainly because it seems repetitive to me.

I mean like, I can basically watch episode 50 of superman, and watch episode 10, and not feel out-of-place. There is a storyline, but each episode seems more like a short-story rather than a continuous story.

Thats what I turn to anime for.
Old 2006-01-21, 07:50   Link #67
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Spongebob squarepants does rock. Most amusing american cartoon i've ever seen is The Fairly Oddparents. Hilarious.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 07:55   Link #68
Rachy
Disabled By Request

Sponge bob , Fairly odd parents , teen titans i like them shows alot =).
Rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 07:57   Link #69
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Spiderman: The series that came before Spiderman Unlimited. Spiderman unlimited and all later series are crap though.
X-Men/Batman: Just pure quality.
I also remember seeing a Spawn movie that was animated which was a really cool and way better then the live action Spawn Movie.

Can't really come up with other series atm.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 08:48   Link #70
DjShine

Send a message via MSN to DjShine
If u think bout it near all DC comic cartoons r like mangas in a way.The display is a lil in comparison to it
Old 2007-04-05, 07:25   Link #71
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

the thing about american cartoons that don't match up is that they have like no plot.

in anime there's episodes that add up for a plot/characters to develop and if you don't see the last one you'll probably get lost.

In american cartoons basicaly almost every episode is a filler ep as far as a story or plot developing.

I find american cartoons, the ones for children idiotic and not that funny, for almost all I suppose. I used to watch but then I realized the channel just kept airing re-runs all the time but people still watched for some odd reason, so I stopped wasting my time. Now I can't even stand to listen to the voices of most of them.

------------

american cartoonst hat match up, I don't know... some animes aimed at kids are pretty damn good

some random cartoons that popped in my head:
Jem & the holograms
Hey Arnold - sad it never finished up the helga/arnold thing.

Last edited by xxanimefan4_ever; 2007-04-05 at 07:37.
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 08:30   Link #72
Sasuke_Bateman
No

samurai jack - i love the sound of this show.
Thunder cats! - that was amazing.

To be continue.
Old 2007-04-05, 08:38   Link #73
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
the thing about american cartoons that don't match up is that they have like no plot.

in anime there's episodes that add up for a plot/characters to develop and if you don't see the last one you'll probably get lost.

In american cartoons basicaly almost every episode is a filler ep as far as a story or plot developing.

I find american cartoons, the ones for children idiotic and not that funny, for almost all I suppose. I used to watch but then I realized the channel just kept airing re-runs all the time but people still watched for some odd reason, so I stopped wasting my time. Now I can't even stand to listen to the voices of most of them.

------------

american cartoonst hat match up, I don't know... some animes aimed at kids are pretty damn good

some random cartoons that popped in my head:
Jem & the holograms
Hey Arnold - sad it never finished up the helga/arnold thing.

That's what episodic means...things like Azumanga Diaoh are perfect examples of popular and successful animes that employ episodic content. There are plenty of anime out there that goes this route, it's just that for longer running shows, there needs to be a fair mix of this for it to ultimately work out.

Things like Naruto have an underlying story to every episode that ties into a bigger one, while it uses episodic stints to expand the length and depth of the show. It works the way with quite a few of the larger American series', for example, back when GI Joe aired regularly, it was considered a mix of the two. You'd have several weeks of an on-going story and an equal amount of weeks of events that do not tie into between episodes. It's a matter of marketing, there are times when most people cannot devote time to watching a specific show, and with the general hours that cartoons aired it was commonplace to miss episodes often, it made it difficult to warrant the writing of huge story-arcs when if you were to miss a couple episodes to be completely lost as to what is going on in the story.
Old 2007-04-05, 21:58   Link #74
9Mystere9

I love you people so much. I want somebody to revolutionize the american cartoon industry so badly. So that people recognize that cartoons can be used to relate adult content and not just be "for comedy" or "for kids". that aside, I'd have to say I loved Samurai Jack a lot. I would say the adventures of Jackie Chan, but I don't want to make enemies now...
9Mystere9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:19   Link #75
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Samurai Jack. Its a great "spot the reference" show.

I enjoy Avatar. I thinks its better than Naruto, anyway.
Old 2007-04-05, 22:27   Link #76
Calca
Brina!

Gargoyles and Mighty Max

Both aren't afraid to kill people, show blood, even say "hell".
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:35   Link #77
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
Gargoyles and Mighty Max

Both aren't afraid to kill people, show blood, even say "hell".
I remember Mighty Max. That was a pretty damn good show...when I was little the ending was a real mindf*ck.
Old 2007-04-06, 12:00   Link #78
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I'm suprised no one has said anything about Rocko's Modern Life(if I missed it I apologize for it now). The show sometimes airs on late at night and when I watch it now I find myself laughing more so at some of its refrences and all. I still remember the day when I first picked up a book by Virginia Woolf and my first reaction was: "Wait a second, wasn't that the name of Heffer's mother in Rocko's Modern Life? Anyway I could go on and on about that show.

Daria is also an american cartoon that I believe to fit the category. Practically grew up watching that show. Witty and a lot of depth. Absolutely genius in every aspect in my opinion.

I feel I also have to mention American Dragon: Jake Long which I remember when first watching believed it to have a lot of potential. Of course now that it's going this season I can see the ending being a complete bust and it failing miserably. However I think it's held up to "anime standards" as you call it.
LionsMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 20:57   Link #79
fenderkillers

X-men was very nice, some spider man episodes, although the story became a little bizarre

Avatar is one of the best recently..... and its obvious its just a copy , but its quite nice
fenderkillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 09:28   Link #80
-Breakthrough-

Avatar, Samurai Jack, and Megas XLR!
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote