AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-01, 01:37   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Space Adventure Cobra

I just finish watching the current subbed 19 episodes of Cobra. I must say that the anime really ROCKS! I watched it for the first time when I was like 5, so I don't remember anything about it. After watching these 19 episodes I must say that this anime is a real classic. The graphics aren't that good, because they are 20 years old. however, the story, the action and the girls are all awesome.

The anime resembles in some way start wars, but it is way better

The music is good, and at times it remainds you of those old action shows from the 70s lol

The main character is a Cool guy, this is one of those few shows in which you really get to like the main character. He is funny, at times smart, at times perverted, and at times very stupid.

The bad guys are really vicious, and all of the main bad individuals are given a lot of background story and a lot of character development.

The girls are sexy! there is a lot of nudity though. So don't watch this anime if you are under 15 (There are no sex scenes) At the same time there is a fairly amount of violence in this anime. So you will see that a lot of good charaters get killed along the way. Thanks to all these elements, the anime becomes very reallistic.

Give it a try. At least for me this anime has proven to be very addicting.

If you have seen Cow boy Beepop and like it, then you will like this anime as well because it has the same style.

For some reason, it looks like old school still rocks the house. Has anyone here seen Space Adventure Cobra yet?

What do you think about it?
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-05-01 at 02:11.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 08:20   Link #2
the_marshal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Well cobra is great classic imo... the character are great, action and music too.
Like you say "old school still rocks" and for an anime from 82 i find the graphic really ok

Actually in america many may not know this serie... I will suggest you taking a look at it
And those are available in Fansub as it is not licensed in America... in france however it is a well know anime (we have a lot old anime from the 80'... those were aired on tv... well I wasn't watching anime at that time, actually so I watched cobra like a year ago)

And btw there is a very good dvd boxset of cobra by Declic image, a French dvd editor: "cobra gold" it has the original(with french subs)...
unfortunaly they had some legal issue with it so that it wasn't sold very long, but at this end they sold it at very low price so that some people did some stocks of it you should still be able to find it for a quite good prices... well i guess that's just for people understanding french of wanting to watch it without subtile...
the_marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 08:37   Link #3
Tellu54
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
So it was the
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 08:37   Link #4
Tellu54
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
So was it the movie that was liscenced in the states, or what?
I remember seeing Space Adventure Cobra when I was a kid. I remember being distinctly unimpressed.
I remember the opening, the girls had stars for nipples and it was very scary.
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 10:07   Link #5
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellu54
So was it the movie that was liscenced in the states, or what?
I remember seeing Space Adventure Cobra when I was a kid. I remember being distinctly unimpressed.
I remember the opening, the girls had stars for nipples and it was very scary.
Don't worry about the stars this time... the version that we have here in animesuki is uncensured And believe me you won't be scared at all lol
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 12:05   Link #6
Replicant_Lesbian
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
is anyone going to reseed (or offer in any other way) this kick ass classic again?
I loved the pure eye candy and nihilistic noir touch to this series. to break from the old clear cut bad vs good guy, it had a mercenary as its main character, and lotsa naked girls. oh and cheesy disco music! can't go wrong with that recipe!!
Replicant_Lesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 06:49   Link #7
Hayamaneko
cat boy?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: at your house, raiding your fridge
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
er, where are the torrents for this show? seems like they disapeared
__________________
Hayamaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 07:25   Link #8
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: U.K. London
You won't find any torrents for the simple reason that Space Adventure Cobra is licensed by Urban Vision.
__________________
I want a unicorn.
ElvenPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 13:29   Link #9
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
You won't find any torrents for the simple reason that Space Adventure Cobra is licensed by Urban Vision.
What? The fact that they have the rights to distribute the movie does not mean that they have the rights to distribute the show. How comes that you have not verify well before taking the torrents off?

Besides the Movies have been licensed for quite some time now, like 5 years I would say. Although animeinfo is not a very reliable source, you can clearly see that the Movie has been licensed for a long time now, but the show is not.

Space adventure Cobra

Space Adventure Cobra movie

I hope that after mentioning this you can restore the torrents for this show, due to the fact that this show is an old and rare classic anime that never aired in the US, and never will.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 15:20   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
This series is amusing but rather flat. The storytelling seems kind of sociopathic to me - characters are killed off just to give the "hero" something to "react" to. Other than that I like it. The trippy visuals are 10 years too late, but who cares anymore...
__________________
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 05:16   Link #11
Budweineken
Crap
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
What? The fact that they have the rights to distribute the movie does not mean that they have the rights to distribute the show. How comes that you have not verify well before taking the torrents off?

Besides the Movies have been licensed for quite some time now, like 5 years I would say. Although animeinfo is not a very reliable source, you can clearly see that the Movie has been licensed for a long time now, but the show is not.

Space adventure Cobra

Space Adventure Cobra movie

I hope that after mentioning this you can restore the torrents for this show, due to the fact that this show is an old and rare classic anime that never aired in the US, and never will.
Actually it is licensed by Urban Vision

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=612
Budweineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 20:20   Link #12
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken
Actually it is licensed by Urban Vision

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=612
It looks like you haven't researched enough on the matter... http://www.urban-vision.com/links.html Go there, and you'll find that the only thing that they have licensed is the movie. That was, by the way, a long time ago. It is actually dubbed in english.

However, they don't hold the rights for the TV series, animenewsnetwork.com is mistaken here. Then who do you think is right? http://www.animenfo.com in this case is much more accurate. They have specified that the Movie is licensed but not the TV series is.

As I said before I hope that the torrents come back, due to the fact that it is definetely a plus for animesuki to have in its anime arsenal a piece of a rare classic anime such as Space Adventure Cobra.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 20:33   Link #13
Budweineken
Crap
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 30
You might be right....

go to this link... http://www.animeondvd.com/discdata/uvtitles.php

it says they no longer has the right for Space Adventure Cobra... then who does?
Budweineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 20:40   Link #14
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken
You might be right....

go to this link... http://www.animeondvd.com/discdata/uvtitles.php

it says they no longer has the right for Space Adventure Cobra... then who does?
No one... And actually they can be refering to the Movie rights. Because I'm %110 sure that the TV series has never been licensed in the US. If it were you can be dead sure there would be some of sort marchadaising left.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 13:47   Link #15
Roelandt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Question Space [Adventure] Cobra

I watched this series (in Japan simply called Space Cobra) when it was originally aired when I was stationed over there along with ZZ Gundam, though I never got to see the whole series.

So far the Fansubs have done up to episode 19.

Does anyone know if the project is continuing with the rest of the series? I'd love to see the rest of the series with English Subtitles. I've been waiting 20 years for subs of Space Cobra.

I still have about 10 episodes in Japanese, complete with all the "Space Co-bu-ra" Toy comercials on Betamax! Hehe.
Roelandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 10:20   Link #16
ghnomb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
hi
i know that this topic is pretty old, but i need some help.
i got the whole series but only the first 19 episodes are subbed, i need subtitles to watch the rest. i looked for them in the net but couldn't find any. if anyone could tell me where to find them it would be big help. (in fact i don't know if the rest of the series are even subbed.)
ghnomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 12:53   Link #17
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The European Bunion
Age: 35
No point asking here, since the TV series is licensed. That means you should be able to find the DVD's though, so at least you can watch the entire thing, if you feel like paying for it/ renting it.

edit: in actual fact, this thread should be in DVD and Licensed now.
__________________
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 13:36   Link #18
Spirit Chicken!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Except that nobody has licensed the TV series yet as far as anybody knows or announced. Nor is there, or has ever been, any sort of DVD release for the series....and maybe not even for the movie....in R1. Only DVD's that'd be buyable/rentable(prolly not rentable I'd Say) for this show would be R2's or HK's or something....definitely not R1's anytime in the foreseable future.

AoD would have a long thread and a main page mention at such a license, AnimeNation would explode from the old school folk and Ask John, and all would be better in the world.

No idea if ILA is still working on the project or not since they went all "private if you beg" to everybody.

I can say with confidence though that if somebody ever does finish subbing it, a torrent will surely pop up somewhere on the net.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 14:08   Link #19
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The European Bunion
Age: 35
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=612

If it's not licensed, where did the English cast come from? And as was mentioned two years ago in this very thread, it's licensed by UrbanVision.
__________________
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 14:42   Link #20
Spirit Chicken!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Hmmm...only release of any kind was back in '83....in France.

That English cast list would be incredibly tiny and incomplete....my only guess on it was that once upon a time those people had been contracted to do it...accepted...but the project never materialized. Just look at it compared to the French cast list. Seem to me via that it clearly shows who actually worked through the series and who didn't. Which'd be pretty evident considering that there is no R1 release for it listed there...vhs/LD/dvd/broadcast/PPV or otherwise.

UV has been all but invisible save for Golgo 13: The Professional finally making it to dvd a year ago....along with still streaming along VHD goodies and their live-action label. Nor does their page have even the slightest mention of Space Adventure Cobra....just the old standards like Biohunter and other titles that are either OOP, lost licenses, or likely heading in that direction save the VHD stuff that still seems to bring in some cash.

Near as I can estimate, ANN simply messed up or was given some overzealous info stemming from a license project that MIGHT have been in the seemingly final stages of negotiation once upon a time....but ultimately fell through completely for reasons none of us may ever know. It wouldn't be the first time...and AoD is simpy more attune to these things than ANN. Ask John at AN wouldn't still be mentioning the show as a "hopefully one day somebody will license it" regularly in his columns either.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.