AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-01-05, 11:50   Link #1
LovelyLostSoul
Lost

Alien Nine

First of all I'm terribly sorry if someone already made a thread like this. You can slap me here right now for making this instead of going to yours.
~~Anyways back on topic I loved this anime and manga. At first glance I thought it was going to be a cute theme about three girls who go around catching aliens. But woah was I wrong it's so much more than that. I liked the English dubbing even, Yuri's voice actor did well with her high pitched whining. The creators definitly put serious issues into the characters. More than what you usually see in anime. Please tell me what you think, or if you just came in to slap me, thats okay too...
LovelyLostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 12:19   Link #2
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Alien Nine is gets my #2 Vote for Best Anime with a Horrible Title. (Black Heaven is #1). It looks so cutesy but is just really packed with Angst.

It was good , but rewatchable? Not really my cup of tea. Give me girls with Swords anyday.

Come On Fate/Stay the Night!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 14:45   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Surprisingly, it doesn't seem that a post already existed for this OVA. I wonder why?

It's definitely a very deceptive series. From the characters to the overall feel, you'd think that it was something goofy. Unless I misinterpreted a lot of what went on, it's actually much darker than that. Something about the ending confused me (or maybe was just very open to interpretation), but I can't remember the series well enough to discuss it in depth.

I'd recommend it to people who aren't feeling depressed.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:02   Link #4
tyciol
*Artist

I was reading on Wikipedia that this was originally by Hitoshi Tomizawa who also did Milk Closet.

There are 4 OVAs in total. I see a variety of groups did work on it: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=58 but I can't find any torrent page here on Animesuki for it. A lot of animesuki torrents link to nyaa nowadays so I did find a couple there:
Older (2008): http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=to...56&showfiles=1
More recent (2010): http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=to...15&showfiles=1

I don't see any 'licensed' warning that they put up when torrents are taken down, would anyone know whether or not it is licensed. If it turns out that this was licensed then we should put up a page for the tracker anyway and a link to this forum and then a warning that it was and in this case I could understand a mod editing out these external links.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 18:11   Link #5
james0246

^While ANN still lists the Alien Nine DVDs (even if they are somewhat out of print), Central Park Media (the company who held the American license) is dead, so I am unsure as to who holds the license of this title.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 18:11   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLostSoul View Post
First of all I'm terribly sorry if someone already made a thread like this. You can slap me here right now for making this instead of going to yours.
~~Anyways back on topic I loved this anime and manga. At first glance I thought it was going to be a cute theme about three girls who go around catching aliens. But woah was I wrong it's so much more than that. I liked the English dubbing even, Yuri's voice actor did well with her high pitched whining. The creators definitly put serious issues into the characters. More than what you usually see in anime. Please tell me what you think, or if you just came in to slap me, thats okay too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Alien Nine is gets my #2 Vote for Best Anime with a Horrible Title. (Black Heaven is #1). It looks so cutesy but is just really packed with Angst.

It was good , but rewatchable? Not really my cup of tea. Give me girls with Swords anyday.

Come On Fate/Stay the Night!
wrong sub-forum, go ask the a mod to move it.

anyway if you guys think the anime oav was creepy and full angst. You guys need to read the manga which is even worst or better then depending on how see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^ANN still lists Alien Nine as being licensed (if somewhat out of print), so we will continue to treat it as such.
you might want to check if the license is still valid, it was a long time ago and wasn't a really poplar title back then either. Also CMP, the original license company doesn't even exist anymore.
Old 2010-09-11, 23:03   Link #7
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
anyway if you guys think the anime oav was creepy and full angst. You guys need to read the manga which is even worst or better then depending on how see it.
Although the anime reproduces the manga virtually frame by frame, the chosen stopping point of the OVA constitutes a directorial piece of brilliance, completely transforming the point of the story and making it one of the most shocking and powerful statements I've seen in decades of anime viewing. Pay attention after the credits!

This is the about the most underappreciated piece of anime ever made.
Old 2010-09-12, 13:43   Link #8
spudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you might want to check if the license is still valid, it was a long time ago and wasn't a really poplar title back then either. Also CMP, the original license company doesn't even exist anymore.
The DVD is still quite easy to find and purchase brand new. The box with DVD + vol 1-3 of the manga is also still around.

I really should re-watch this, as it wasn't long ago I was reminded just how dark this ova gets.
spudman is offline   Reply With Quote