AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-10-02, 09:58   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

The Cat Returns (Neko no Ongaeshi) - Another amazing Ghibli film!!

I got the rather surprising opportunity today to watch a Studio Ghibli film that I had never heard of before called "The Cat Returns". It's not one of their best films and is a little short only running one hour and fifteen minutes (15 min less than the standard 90min minimum running time of most films) but it was in no way less enjoyable. The charecters were entertaining an engaging, the humor was great, and the adventure was fun. The concept of cats talking and the kingdom of cats was quite interesting too and well portrayed I believe. I wondered why I hadn't heard about this film before, but upon further research it turns out that it only came out in 2002. I can't find any R1 dvd's of it yet (it's licenced under the disney-tokuma deal), but it is available in R2 dvd, subs file is available courtesy of AXP (sorry, no linkage as I only my friend has the original subs file) if you really wanna watch it. If anything, I highly suggest you do go get this film, it's easly a 9/10 rated film in my book.

Has anyone seen this film yet? It's not a Miyazaki film, but instead is directed by Hiroyuki MORITA. The storyline/genre is fantasy adventure. It's definatley worth getting and watching I believe. I'm going to keep hunting for someone who's selling the DVD's and report back if I find it, because even though I can't afford it right now, I'm most certainly going to add this one to my collection.
Old 2004-10-02, 10:07   Link #2
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Yeah, I've seen it! It's wonderful! So light-hearted! It's the kind of movie that makes you feel happy It also has some references to a previous Miyazaki/Ghibli movie called "Whisper of the heart" have you heard about it? It's a rather old movie... The characters of the Baron and Mootah (?) are also mentioned in that movie, so you get to know a little of their background, but they're not really main characters in "Whisper of the Heart". Also I think the main character from "The cat returns", the girl (what's her name?) has a really silly voice, it makes you laugh just to hear it! And the ending song it's beautiful! It totallly reflects the mood of the movie!

Last edited by MartAnimE; 2004-10-10 at 12:57.
MartAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 10:40   Link #3
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
It is charming, relaxing anime movie. It has it's moments but it lack the drive and imagination of Spirited Away or Nausicca.
Old 2004-10-02, 10:50   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Cat Returns is a spin off story from Whisper of the Heart. In Whisper of the Heart, it gives the background behind the Baron.

BTW, the girl's name is Shizuku Tsukishima

If you want to know more about the Baron...
Spoiler:

As to Muta
Spoiler:
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 13:28   Link #5
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
I'm surprised that the character designs of this Ghibli film are a lot more eye-candy than usual.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 13:51   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Cat Returns is a spin off story from Whisper of the Heart. In Whisper of the Heart, it gives the background behind the Baron.
Wow, I didn't even know about that film and I call myself an anime otaku! o_0

I checked out the details on it and it looks good. I'm going to have to round me up a copy of it. If it's as good as this movie it sould be very enjoyable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
I'm surprised that the character designs of this Ghibli film are a lot more eye-candy than usual.
How so? I didn't think they looked all that key candy'ish myself. I think they were very well drawn though.
Old 2004-10-02, 14:56   Link #7
FarthingRedFox

can any1 post sum screen shots of teh movie
maybe some of the girl in her anthro cat form
FarthingRedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 15:23   Link #8
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
I mean eye-candy where the characters has the "usual big anime eyes like every other anime series" than the usual "Ghibli" character designs where the eyes are small and black.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 17:21   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Oh, ok. When you said eye-candy I was thinking like flashy effects and cool layouts and the like. hehe.
Old 2004-10-04, 01:32   Link #10
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Wow, I didn't even know about that film and I call myself an anime otaku! o_0
Haha, seriously, if you havent seen every Miyazaki movie you cant call yourself an otaku.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 00:34   Link #11
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I just watched this movie myself, and although I have not yet watched all of Ghibli films, I can confidently that at least it's at least the best I've seen from them so far. The playful nature of the whole story, the sincerity and naive charm that the protagonist exudes, her friends and quirky antagonist just got to me. Everything coupled with Ghinli's usual great OST, and a great ending zone, Kaze ni Naru.
he ha
Some context of what can one expect: For the people who liked the human talking to cats plot background point found in Nyan Koi but where disgusted by how the series eventually devolved into harem, this movie is a must check.
Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 02:21   Link #12
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
The newbie director did a great job of trying to match the wonderful sense of imagination that Miyazaki's films do with such effortlessness. While I personally wouldn't rate it on the level of some of Ghibli's best, it's far better than, say, "Tales from Earthsea", which was also by a newbie director at the studio.

Have you watched Whisper, by the way, Proto? That's sort of the spiritual prequel to this one, and it is my favourite film, period.

Quote:
Ghinli's usual great OST
Indeed. The soundtrack was composed by Yuji Nomi, who unfortunately only has two Ghibli films under his belt, but his music, particularly the lovely orchestration, is so well-done that it's a shame he isn't more used.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 22:14   Link #13
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I remember seeing this one about a year back since my mom, brother and I are complete Ghibli fans. I liked it quiet a bit even if it was lighter than some of the other fare that Ghibli has put out. Very cute and I was tickled to see how it was the story within the story of Whisper of the Hear.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 22:41   Link #14
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Have you watched Whisper, by the way, Proto? That's sort of the spiritual prequel to this one, and it is my favourite film, period.
I have. It is usual Ghibli quality, but unfortunately I didn't find the characters that compelling or the story that appealing. I guess I have a knack for super natural elements and high fantasy, hence why I found this to be on the lower side in my personal Ghibli ranking. Which is pretty high anyway when compared to the rest of the anime movies i've seen anyway.
Proto is online now   Reply With Quote