AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-10-11, 05:33   Link #21
Shenlong
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I took a look at the Bleach fansub comparison thread and I couldn't help but come away feeling angry and very disgusted. There was one poster whining that all the groups translating "shinigami" to death god/soul reaver/whatever was a "slap in the face" to the manga readers.. I'm sorry but such wanabe elitist fanboys need a good hard dickslapping

To be honest, that poster looks to the minority and there are alot of useful info on the AnimePlanet forums like the screenshot comparisons and the analysis on how each fansub group translated lines differently. I am a bit leery though, how can I trust the board's translator over the fansubber's translators on how a line should be best translated? I think I will revisit the board whenever I need a fansub review or analysis as long as I remember to cut though all the BS, bias and fanboui drivel
Shenlong is offline  
Old 2004-10-11, 13:49   Link #22
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
I am a bit leery though, how can I trust the board's translator over the fansubber's translators on how a line should be best translated? I think I will revisit the board whenever I need a fansub review or analysis as long as I remember to cut though all the BS, bias and fanboui drivel
Generally the board's translators have done and/or are doing translators at the moment, so they are just as good or bad as any fansub translator. runpsicat is like the lead translator for kraze, etc.
zalas is offline  
Old 2004-10-11, 15:24   Link #23
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: US
Age: 27
The reviewers on the site are mostly subbers who specialize in that area and are universally respected in their job.
crumja is offline  
Old 2004-10-11, 15:55   Link #24
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Having leechers blindly following whatever fansubbers do is a worse idea. Having an idea of where a fansub is deficient will encourage people to improve.
Leechers don't care about reviews of groups work. Leechers care about what comes first period. If that site wants to review anime fine. But what they are doing is the same attitude as bitching about free fansubs. Fansubs are free let the subbers do their own thing. And it was said that the people reviewing the fansubs there are "fansubbers respected for their work" or something. That is just an open door to biased reviews. And who exactly are these respected reviewers?

A fansubber told me he has no interest in critizing another groups work and I totaly agree with that. This kind of place just breeds flames and contempt.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-10-11, 18:22   Link #25
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
lunaranime subs it
anbu and anime keep subs it
and theres a few more i think. im not completely sure.

ps. lunaranime and anbu & akeep's subs are pretty similar...(cept the karoake)...

i've watched both versions, i think both of them are fine.
bleach rox! (first time i heard bleach, i thought it was bout bleaching clothes...>.>)
Kawaii_tsunami is offline  
Old 2004-10-11, 18:25   Link #26
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
Leechers don't care about reviews of groups work. Leechers care about what comes first period. If that site wants to review anime fine. But what they are doing is the same attitude as bitching about free fansubs. Fansubs are free let the subbers do their own thing.
Yes, fansubbers can do whatever they want, but I do not want to waste 175mb x (# of copies of new anime) to find out who is going to do an assorific job when I can just look at a nice 5mb screenshot list and see that group X is the best. There are two types of leechers, ones who actually give a shit that their sub is not BS and ones who dont. AP caters to the former. And this "you cant bitch about free" or whatever is just a load of garbage. But Ill stop the rant there.. and on the topic of Bleach, a quick look at the screenshots clearly shows that IY4e possibly has no clue about what they are doing and Lunar's t/ls are always bad..so that leaves Krapbu of the groups that are out.

Quote:
And it was said that the people reviewing the fansubs there are "fansubbers respected for their work" or something. That is just an open door to biased reviews. And who exactly are these respected reviewers?
This is going completely offtopic....
It's not like all of them are respected, but there are a few there who I know do a decent job in what they do so... (And a few who suck...but you need to learn your reviewer...just like with movies.)
bayoab is offline  
Old 2004-10-11, 19:47   Link #27
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Well this is all just my opinion people are more then free to disagree with me. But I will never agree with a site like that.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 02:27   Link #28
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I have to agree with bayoab here. Anyone who knows me knows I don't have any love saved for Lunar, but its well-founded IMHO. I would recommend Keep/Anbu as the best ATM as well. Their video quality is guaranteed to be top notch with Deathwolf encoding it and the typesets are much more pleasing as well (Lunars OP sfx really clash with the video). Lunar prefers fudging the translation alot which people see as "making it common English" when that may be true, but it also stems from translations that aren't as accurate from the get-go...
JediNight is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 02:52   Link #29
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
I have to agree with bayoab here. Anyone who knows me knows I don't have any love saved for Lunar, but its well-founded IMHO. I would recommend Keep/Anbu as the best ATM as well. Their video quality is guaranteed to be top notch with Deathwolf encoding it and the typesets are much more pleasing as well (Lunars OP sfx really clash with the video). Lunar prefers fudging the translation alot which people see as "making it common English" when that may be true, but it also stems from translations that aren't as accurate from the get-go...

OK so you just hate lunar and like bashing them. Thanks for the heads up.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 03:01   Link #30
Lucier
Lunar Translator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
As DekaMaster has already noticed...

Rule #1: Never trust JediNight on any fansub-reviews... all he ever does is group bash... He's done it in the past on these forums, as well as on Anime-Planet's forums...(The fact that he knows basically no Japanese, and states that we "fudge" translations (despite the fact we don't...) is simply proof of it...)

As for comparisions...
Our version and ANBU's version is very similiar in many many ways...
I personally despise keep's main font as it is hard to read... but that's just my personal opinion...
As for translations, they're mostly identical in meaning between ANBU and us... Though our translator (not me) prefers a more slangish English tone, and crustol prefers the more literal translation...
The fact that the meaning is almost always the same says, at least, that both groups are doing a great job on translation.

I'd say in the end, either version will satisfy your needs...
If you prefer a bit more "street level" english, go with ours... if you prefer a more literal-style, go with anbu's...
Lucier is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 03:38   Link #31
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Lucier you guys do a good job. So does anbu/akeep. But people jediknight just like to bash. You see it all over forums like this. It's sad really.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 08:27   Link #32
LytHka
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
OK so you just hate lunar and like bashing them. Thanks for the heads up.
And you obviously don't have any clue what you are talking about right now. Both Lunar's and ANBU/Keep's are solid releases yet ANBU/Keep's is better. At least ep 01. Who knows for ep 02? Everything can change. These are all simple facts and no matter what you say here the fact will remain as is. And I don't think JediNight said anything bashful or 'hate charged' towards anyone. Nor expressing it. He just said (as I do agree with him) that Lunar really doesn't have the best record of all of their releases. The speed of their releases is appreciated, but that's not something that should be a big part of a recommendation.

Last edited by LytHka; 2004-10-13 at 08:28. Reason: wrong name spelling
LytHka is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 08:53   Link #33
Aru
dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
OK so you just hate lunar and like bashing them. Thanks for the heads up.
and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
Rule #1: Never trust JediNight on any fansub-reviews... all he ever does is group bash... He's done it in the past on these forums, as well as on Anime-Planet's forums...(The fact that he knows basically no Japanese, and states that we "fudge" translations (despite the fact we don't...) is simply proof of it...)
Obviously if there wasn't anything to bash about, he wouldn't be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
But people jediknight just like to bash. You see it all over forums like this. It's sad really.
You know, ALOT of the posts that I've seen from you are pretty insulting. Does that make you a sad person?
Aru is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 09:33   Link #34
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I frankly think both fansubs are doing great jobs period.
Don't you? you really cant compare 2 fansubs because THEY'RE DOING IT FOR FREE.
just be thankful that they even continue fansubbing, cuz without em....(no matter how great or bad) we'd wouldnt get all this anime.

just worry about what you wana watch and dont worry about what others want to watch

personally...i think this thread has started some major bashing for lunar.
Kawaii_tsunami is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 10:15   Link #35
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
There should probably be a sticky somewhere saying that you cannot use the "fansubs are free" defense in a recommendation/review thread.
Enragin_Angel is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 10:28   Link #36
ShikaShika
無罪
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: もう東京ではない
Age: 33
This was the deciding factor for me. (You make up your own mind about what I decided.)
ShikaShika is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 10:30   Link #37
LytHka
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
There should probably be a sticky somewhere saying that you cannot use the "fansubs are free" defense in a recommendation/review thread.

Exactly. When you WANT to output and recommend the best fansub out there of a certain show, you HAVE to compare. Otherwise it's just praising/bashing without any foundations. Not that it is bashing when comparing. Reviews/recommendations should be useful information even for fansubbers so that they'll know for their future releases where to improve. Those who can't stand constructive criticism are just self-centered egostical freaks.

This has gone way off the topic. My recommendation still stands.

Last edited by LytHka; 2004-10-13 at 10:32. Reason: forgot a word
LytHka is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 14:23   Link #38
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aru
and...


Obviously if there wasn't anything to bash about, he wouldn't be doing it.



You know, ALOT of the posts that I've seen from you are pretty insulting. Does that make you a sad person?

You are kidding arn't you? You think people need a reason to bash something? Some people just bash because they are bitter people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
And you obviously don't have any clue what you are talking about right now. Both Lunar's and ANBU/Keep's are solid releases yet ANBU/Keep's is better. At least ep 01. Who knows for ep 02? Everything can change. These are all simple facts and no matter what you say here the fact will remain as is. And I don't think JediNight said anything bashful or 'hate charged' towards anyone. Nor expressing it. He just said (as I do agree with him) that Lunar really doesn't have the best record of all of their releases. The speed of their releases is appreciated, but that's not something that should be a big part of a recommendation.
Don't speak as though your opinion is fact. The eltisim in the fansub community is sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii_tsunami
I frankly think both fansubs are doing great jobs period.
Don't you? you really cant compare 2 fansubs because THEY'RE DOING IT FOR FREE.
just be thankful that they even continue fansubbing, cuz without em....(no matter how great or bad) we'd wouldnt get all this anime.
Some people feel the need to rip apart what they don't like. Let people reccomend what anime they think is good but any thread that starts "Which groups is better" is just an opening for flames,trolling and bashing.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 14:59   Link #39
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
This is a recommendation thread. You NEED to thoroughly review each fansub so that the leecher can make an educated decision in which fansub to download. Saying, "They're all good" or "Who cares, it's free...if you have a problem then don't download it!" doesn't help him choose one fansub over another.
Enragin_Angel is offline  
Old 2004-10-13, 18:11   Link #40
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
Some people feel the need to rip apart what they don't like. Let people reccomend what anime they think is good but any thread that starts "Which groups is better" is just an opening for flames,trolling and bashing.
The only one bashing here is you. Please stop this innane argument about the validity of this thread. I'm allowing the thread to exist. If someone actually starts to flame a fangroup then I'll deal with it.

As for both being free, that doesn't mean they are equal. Incidently I can't honestly say that one of them is better than the other. I feel that the colloqial tone of Lunar is superior because it fits the characters and mood of the show. On the other hand I feel that the greater attention to literal translation of Keep&ANBU is superior because it informs more about what is actually being said. So far I haven't seen a version that I can say is clearly superior. It is a matter of taste.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.