AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: what do you think of gundam seed Destiny so far?
good 105 70.47%
bad 44 29.53%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-14, 21:44   Link #121
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Honestly, I don't think you have no right to say that. Thats stereotyping right there if you ask me.
Well, maybe. But it was for the sake of specifying "the target". Not to offend anyone.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:44   Link #122
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Well, I honestly don't know what it is like in Australian Army. But I always imagined it to consist of people who often have no idea about manga and anime. Just like in USA or Europe :P Am I wrong?

You amaze me SD. You are so ignorant its not funny. If I were you, I'd stop posting on the subject, as your just going to make an ass of yourself and offend someone.
__________________
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:47   Link #123
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You amaze me SD. You are so ignorant its not funny. If I were you, I'd stop posting on the subject, as your just going to make an ass of yourself and offend someone.
Well, you are not me Did I offend anyone then? If so, just tell me and I'll apologize him.

And Spitfire, what's your problem? If you hold some grudge against me, jut tell me why. Maybe we can do something about that.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:50   Link #124
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Well, you are not me Did I offend anyone then? If so, just tell me and I'll apologize him.

And Spitfire, what's your problem? If you hold some grudge against me, jut tell me why. Maybe we can do something about that.
Well, you did just stereotype the military people of 3 different continents with your little statement about military personnel in the US/EU/Australia not knowing anything about anime and manga.

I have nothing against you. Its just you sometimes come off as ignorant.
__________________
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:54   Link #125
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece
realism in gundam is a joke but i cant stop you from thinking other wise
Yeah I guess that's why GUNDAM created a seperate genre when it was created...Something called the "Realistic Robot genre" ever heard of it? Ya know when before it was created every animated robot show was about the robot being a SOOPA-hero instead of the guy that piloted it...

Hopefully you're just using the "anime isn't real because it's people drawn on paper argument" instead of the REALISTIC CONTEXT argument that makes an 8th MS Team Gundam in a battle of attrition for survival lend itself to more realism than a Gundam destroying 80 Zaku's or Windams with no sweat while flipping and twirling non-stop....

*Sighs*
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:54   Link #126
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Well, you did just stereotype the military people of 3 different continents with your little statement about military personnel in the US/EU/Australia not knowing anything about anime and manga.
Sooo? I think that majority of them don't know it. It's not like I'm calling them stupid or that I say that they can not exist as for me.

I think you got serious issues there. 'Cause I might be ignorant about things. But I think that level of ignorance is acceptable, unlike your drive to offend others.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:56   Link #127
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Sooo? I think that majority of them don't know it. It's not like I'm calling them stupid or that I say that they can not exist as for me.

I think you got serious issues there. 'Cause I might be ignorant about things. But I think that level of ignorance is acceptable, unlike your drive to offend others.
Wow. Just wow.

I was never out to offend anyone. Let me just say that.

but I'm getting off topic, so I'm done.
__________________
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:57   Link #128
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Yeah I guess that's why GUNDAM created a seperate genre when it was created...Something called the "Realistic Robot genre" ever heard of it? Ya know when before it was created every animated robot show was about the robot being a SOOPA-hero instead of the guy that piloted it...

Hopefully you're just using the "anime isn't real because it's people drawn on paper argument" instead of the REALISTIC CONTEXT argument that makes one Gundam in a battle of attrtion for survival lend itself to more realism than a Gundam destroying 80 Zaku's or Windams with no sweat while flipping and twirling non-stop....

*Sighs*
Well, that just makes GSD more appealing to people that like Gundams destroying 80 zakus, doesn't it?
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:01   Link #129
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Wow. Just wow.

I was never out to offend anyone. Let me just say that.

but I'm getting off topic, so I'm done.
And I was not there to offend anyone either, but it is you who happen to pounce on me all the time. Just calm down.

Anyways, back to the topic:

Let me quote a part of winter45's post:

Quote:
Most of these guys have never seen a gundam show ore even heard of japanese animation.
So at least in THIS case, I was kinda right about those soldiers, didn't I?
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:08   Link #130
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Well, that just makes GSD more appealing to people that like Gundams destroying 80 zakus, doesn't it?
Was that my point? I coulda swore I was talking about realistic context that many UC fans take into account when we talk about realism in Gundam...I love FREEDOM just as much as the next guy, but the context inwhich it is presented doesn't lend itself to the same relative sense of realism...Which was the point to perhaps why some of those army guys might not have like it that much in comparison...It very well may have been the teen soap element they didn't like (which I thought was great in SEED, horrific in GSD)...But there IS a certain context of realism and grittyness that C.E. lacks inwhich UC provides...To say it is a joke, is to either be sweeping or to simply be misinformed (Especially when Gundam is credited with creating the Real Robot genre)...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:15   Link #131
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece
realism in gundam is a joke.......
For shame! I'll have you know that realism in Gundam is no joke - it's just as realistic as Star Wars, and I dare you to call that unrealistic.

By the way, as wingdarkness alludes, this doesn't apply to Seed and Destiny. They are only as realistic as The Empire Strikes Back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece
to make it simple for you: SEED focus on drama romance and character developement in favor of politics and battles.... the other gundam series would be a better choice for those soldiers seeking battles and military harmony.....
Despite a few exceptions (mostly the OVAs), you're largely correct. Seed and Destiny are rather rare in Gundam shows where you'll find episodes where there isn't any combat at all. There's almost always some form of combat in every other Gundam TV show, even to the extent of disrupting the show's rhythm.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:19   Link #132
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I coulda swore I was talking about realistic context that many UC fans take into account when we talk about realism in Gundam...I love FREEDOM just as much as the next guy, but the context inwhich it is presented doesn't lend itself to a relative sense of realism...Which was the point to perhaps why some of those army guys might not have like it that much in comparison...It very well may have been the teen soap element they didn't like (which I thought was great in SEED, horrific in GSD)...But there IS a certain context of realism and grittyness that C.E. lacks inwhich UC provides...To say it is a joke, is to either be sweeping or to simply be uninformed...
I have to agree, then. Especially with the part about Gundam SEED and its juxtaposition with Destiny. And the fact that the mentioned audience was just not a supposed target for "teen soap" elements and pretty much everything CE brings up for its viewers. That's basically what I wanted to say before getting scolded for supposed "stereotyping". But hey, targetting, like dividing and creating anime and its audience according to gender (shonen and shojo) for instance is a normal thing, right? It's a way of stereotyping that is often needed in order to create a comprehensible and consistent show.

And in SEED Destiny, I think Fukuda himself underestimated his own fans.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:27   Link #133
winter45
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 32
Hi guys i would to clear a few things up.... it may take a few posts but ill get there...


First of all Australia is very multi-cultural.... In my plattoon we had 9 White Austrlians (caucasians). We had Asians (chinese, japanese, vietnemese), spanish (me), Turkish, lebanese and so forth.... So a good portion of the viewers were not from those 3 continents.

I would also like to point out that Gundam wasnt the only anime i brought with me. Macross DYRL, SAGA, 7 and PLUS, Vandred, Vanhellsing, FMA and carp load more. It was specificly CE and WING that wasnt very enjoyable to the soldiers.

Ill list a few reasons y they dislike CE but its nothing that you havnt heard before...

Kira is a cheap character.
Military powers are retarded
None to little Teamwork were executed
Lacus too onipetant
Kira crying every 2nd episode
Athrun had a ghey complex with Kira
The grunts fight in a retarded fashion
Beamspamming is not cool
No real opposition that could of made CE more balanced like some UC shows. (CHAR)
World leaders are just a joke
Shinn is refused to get character development
Mind rapes wins the battle
Main cast are terrorists
and plus alot more

Interesting enough Flay, Shinn, Natarle Badgiruel and Andrew Waltfeld, (before he defected) are the more popular characters to the soldiers who were watching the show.

Ill post up some more explanations when i have the time...
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:35   Link #134
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Hi guys i would to clear a few things up.... it may take a few posts but ill get there...


First of all Australia is very multi-cultural.... In my plattoon we had 9 White Austrlians (caucasians). We had Asians (chinese, japanese, vietnemese), spanish (me), Turkish, lebanese and so forth.... So a good portion of the viewers were not from those 3 continents.
.
That's what I was asking for. Then they just might be different from the ones I mentioned. Still, u told us that many of them didn't know much about Japanese animation so that basically was the fact I tried to be clear on, regardless of their ethnicity/mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Ill list a few reasons y they dislike CE but its something that you havnt heard before...

World leaders are just a joke
Shinn is refused to get character development
Mind rapes wins the battle
Main cast are terrorists
and plus alot more
With this half of your arguments I totally agree (Shinn's character development being my greatest complaint about the show next to MS overload and reused scenes). The rest being something I saw in different shades with a different approach or did not notice at all.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:38   Link #135
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
we probably need a thread with a poll asking how many people think GUNDAM is realistic.......anyways its moot to argue with you any further wingdarkness on this subject of realism in gundam

we clearly have different views, i'm pretty sure they have military advisors working for bandai but having a super pilot saving the world destroys the fabric of that reality.....they use real elements to creat an unrealistic world....having these machine that defy logic is already undermining that realism

there are too many fantasy elements for me to be on a consensus that gundam oozes realism

real robot genre? what is that, is it a genre pertaining to the real robots thats fighting wars in real life?....just because the word 'real' is attach to a label doesnt make it real, it is in every sense a fanstasy robot show under the genre 'real robot genre'

real robot genre was created to give the viewers the illusion that they are watching something hyper realistic so that the show can connect to the veiwer on a personal level

Last edited by bbduece; 2008-01-14 at 23:10.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:48   Link #136
winter45
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 32
Turn A gundam, MS08th team, and war in your pocket where the main 3 enjoyable ones.

Turn A for character develpment and story. (Mind you there isnt a battle every episode) , MS8th team for team work and some sense of battlefield realism, War in the pocket coz it had a powerfull anti-war theme. In fact 2 of the guys started crying when barnie died

So i hope this clears that we are westerners and only watch politcs and war.... I Feel so sorry to that poster but you are SO WRONG!!!!!!!
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:49   Link #137
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I've never really searched for realism in manga/anime. So this is by no means any requirement for a good show to me. I liked SEED for it being a teen soap space opera with cool mechas. It touched me. Destiny was just the same, but about two stars down
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 22:55   Link #138
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Turn A gundam, MS08th team, and war in your pocket where the main 3 enjoyable ones.
Turn A for character develpment and story. (Mind you there isnt a battle every episode) , MS8th team for team work and some sense of battlefield realism, War in the pocket coz it had a powerfull anti-war theme. In fact 2 of the guys started crying when barnie died
Well, glad to see that there are Gundam shows that touched soldiers that much. I really did not enjoy Turn A and stopped watching it after a couple of episodes. Gotta see an MS8th team, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
So i hope this clears that we are westerners and only watch politcs and war.... I Feel so sorry to that poster but you are SO WRONG!!!!!!!
Is it addressed to me? I never claimed that Westerners watch only politics and war. I was just trying to say that I think most Western soldiers would not understand the Japanese teen soap form of SEED, that's all. It's just a wrong audience to target with such series.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 23:02   Link #139
kiramuro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Hi guys i would to clear a few things up.... it may take a few posts but ill get there...


First of all Australia is very multi-cultural.... In my plattoon we had 9 White Austrlians (caucasians). We had Asians (chinese, japanese, vietnemese), spanish (me), Turkish, lebanese and so forth.... So a good portion of the viewers were not from those 3 continents.

I would also like to point out that Gundam wasnt the only anime i brought with me. Macross DYRL, SAGA, 7 and PLUS, Vandred, Vanhellsing, FMA and carp load more. It was specificly CE and WING that wasnt very enjoyable to the soldiers.

Ill list a few reasons y they dislike CE but its nothing that you havnt heard before...

Kira is a cheap character.
Military powers are retarded
None to little Teamwork were executed
Lacus too onipetant
Kira crying every 2nd episode
Athrun had a ghey complex with Kira
The grunts fight in a retarded fashion
Beamspamming is not cool
No real opposition that could of made CE more balanced like some UC shows. (CHAR)
World leaders are just a joke
Shinn is refused to get character development
Mind rapes wins the battle
Main cast are terrorists
and plus alot more

Interesting enough Flay, Shinn, Natarle Badgiruel and Andrew Waltfeld, (before he defected) are the more popular characters to the soldiers who were watching the show.

Ill post up some more explanations when i have the time...
You got to be fucking kidding me.. You are telling me there are marines who like gundam.

Don't tell me they like any of it for the military or even political realism because there are almost none in the entire Gundam franchise.

To be honest I started watching gundam because of the space/scifi aspect of it not the fighting robots.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 23:06   Link #140
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuro View Post
You got to be fucking kidding me.. You are telling me there are marines who like gundam.

Don't tell me they like any of it for the military or even political realism because there are almost none in the entire Gundam franchise.
Well,maybe they're exceptions. Everything is possible in this globalistic world we all created
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.