AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-09-20, 04:36   Link #1
Kaju

Japanese including Japanese government belive Anime characters based on Asians

I wonder why many peoples especially westerners claim they are based on westerners, what are you thoughts on this?
Kaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 05:37   Link #2
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Most anime characters are Asian characters. More specifically, most are Japanese characters (in the sense that "Japanese" is part of the character's profile). Most have Japanese names and are in a Japanese setting. Now, I haven't actually crunched numbers on this, since that could take a very long time, but based on all the anime I've seen this is all a pretty safe bet.

What may shroud this a bit is that most anime characters have the trademark "big eyes" that was originally inspired by the West - by Disney itself, and Mickey Mouse. "Anime hair" is another thing that can shroud this.
Old 2014-09-20, 08:33   Link #3
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Draw a sticky man without any particular features and everyone will believe it is based on his own ethnicity.

A westerner sees an anime character, he doesn't see slanted eyes and automatically assumes that he must be white.

An Asian sees the same character he doesn't see hollowed eye sockets or a prominent nose ridge and he automatically assumes that he must be asian.

The funny thing is that if you compare anime main characters that are supposed to be European or European looking with anime main characters that are supposed to be Japanese or Asian, for the most part they have absolutely no distinctive differentiating traits.

Jan-Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 15:35   Link #4
RichardFromMarple

When I was young I was confused by anime character having "big eyes."

It's also common in manga & anime to have a wider range of hair colour that are typical in Japan (dying permitting), though some works, like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei managed to keep this under control.

In one episode of Lucky Star they dicuss the effect of being out in the sun making hair lighter, which is ironic as most of the characters have strange technicolor coloured hair.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 03:25   Link #5
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

This is the first time I see western people physically defining themselves by having big eyes.....

TBH I can't see any massive eye size difference between a white and an asian
Old 2014-09-21, 07:55   Link #6
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Now that I think about it, there's no way to really claim anime characters are somehow caucasian. I mean sure, many have red or blond hair or blue eyes, but anime has hair colors of all kinds. Also, there's no end to the large amount of black haired characters which look asian to me. An example would be Kuroyukihime, who seems to conform to Asian standards of beauty.

Unless of course, people think that asians should always be drawn like this -_____________- but then you'd just be a racist asshole, but w/e.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 08:31   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
This is the first time I see western people physically defining themselves by having big eyes.....

TBH I can't see any massive eye size difference between a white and an asian
According to CNN not only it is a fact that Caucasian eyes are bigger, Asian people do eye-widening surgery because they don't like their Asian faces and want to look more Caucasian

Jan-Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 10:00   Link #8
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
According to CNN not only it is a fact that Caucasian eyes are bigger, Asian people do eye-widening surgery because they don't like their Asian faces and want to look more Caucasian
well, according to any Asian you see walking around, and if you are white, just stand next to them...chances are their eyes are longer but overall not that much smaller...not to the point of making you look anime-ish anyway

Eye-widening surgery makes you look more like anime characters than caucasians...IE that is an entire class of it's own. Few natural eyes of any race are that wide and clear

BTW...Korean plastic surgery is also another class of its own. No one else looks like that except another Korean *not joking....I can't actually tell some Koreans apart*