AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-03-26, 17:28   Link #5221
Esclair
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Also a correction on tokyo hunter, it seems they are currently dealing with legal troubles and are no longer operating. So for proxies, I think most people use:

http://biginjap.com/
http://www.nippon-yasan.com/
http://www.mbttoys.com/

Also, www.hobbyfan.com also carries a lot of exclusives figures that you'd normally need a proxy for. So if you don't want to deal with a proxy you can order through hobbyfan. Hobbyfan does charge a sales tax though, so the price does come out to be around the same as ordering through a proxy, although sometimes they are cheaper. However they do get stuff 1-2 months after the initial Japanese release though, so only use them if you don't mind waiting. They ship from the US so anything you get from them has already passed customs.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 07:59   Link #5222
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
The proxy I use is JAA - Japan Auction Agency.
Not for the auction part, but to store, consolidate, and ship orders.

They are very easy to get hold of and communicate, so I place my trust in them and have been using them for years.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 18:13   Link #5223
dfens
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
HurricaneHige sorry for the late reply, I ordered Mio Sakamoto from Alter it was a re-release. First time around I had to cancel, money was tight when I had hours cut back at work. I could have still got her but at the time the Yen to dollar rate was high it would have been over 130-140 US Dollars shipped. Didn't want to dip into my savings for a figure.

So I was excited that a re-release was coming at the normal price and with a much better exchange rate. I ordered her first day it went up but they took more orders than they could fill, this has never happened to me in the 6 plus years I've used them.

Now I check HLJ to get the description and it's in stock. What a world, they could have notified me. Guess now I'll order it once again they better not jerk me around since it says in stock.

Luckily this time around I'm working so many hours at work that I have so much extra money coming in then I know what to do with, hell if it wasn't for online sales I don't have any time to spend it.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 05:41   Link #5224
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Australia
Thanks again Eclair and Lord Fire.

Just got this Monkey D Luffy figure for my cousin's birthday. He loved it. HLJ were great and shipped extremely quickly. Great suggestions guys.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-02 at 21:28. Reason: Changed to images tag; please use instead of spoiler tags
noir senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 12:58   Link #5225
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Got my Momo. She's H O T

__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 13:49   Link #5226
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Neverlands
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by noir senshi View Post
Thanks again Eclair and Lord Fire.

Just got this Monkey D Luffy figure for my cousin's birthday. He loved it. HLJ were great and shipped extremely quickly. Great suggestions guys.

Spoiler for IMAGE:


Holy resize Batman!!!
__________________
Nightbat® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 03:31   Link #5227
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai


I'm so glad they made a Colette figure. Now that I have it, I can't help but want a Presea one...
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 05:03   Link #5228
Archaeon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by noir senshi View Post
Thanks again Eclair and Lord Fire.

Just got this Monkey D Luffy figure for my cousin's birthday. He loved it. HLJ were great and shipped extremely quickly. Great suggestions guys.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Is that from Megahouse or some other company?
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 10:42   Link #5229
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Recently ordered my first figure ever, and it actually got me curious about how the system work.,,,

Obviously living in Australia, so it's best to get them through online store. Also shipping cost do take a huge chunk out of whatever i want to get (seems to be ~30%). But had a couple of questions I want to ask:
  1. Firstly AmiAmi seems to be the shop to beat here? As their price seems to only can be contested by BigInJapan? But they had more stocks, sale, and you can find pre-owned from them. I means i don't even see the need to "shop around" as these two are almost uncontested?
  2. Why most English/local import site that i found had a price of almost double what were offered on above two sites? Even the Amazon for Good Smile. Other than the actual cost and the shipping cost, did I forget something? Like extra tax, extra local shipping cost? Why do people ever paid $200 for what they would only cost them 12k yen+ shipping cost?
  3. I planed to buy that Wo-class nendodroid~ish from Phat!. But aohige just warned something about they are known for not doing paint job properly or something. Is it something really obvious or is it more like "you won't notice unless you look at right angle" kinda thing?
  4. Finally, can i just leave my nendoroid on my desk and they will survive. Or do i have to... like clean them with vinegar or something otherwise they will started to be discolored in 2-3 years time?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 10:47   Link #5230
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
1) No contest, but they are pretty much not the best option for anything rare or already sold out for months or event mere weeks.

2) Shipping fee, taxes (which can be huge dependant of the country), logistic expenses, shop own profit margin. Some people aren't trusting online shopping to commit with the latter, and would rather have the real item in front of them before any purchase, even if it means they are paying premium price tag.

3) Depend of the paint job, which is not possible to guess before the product has been mass procuded and shipped. Some companies are infamous for being a bit shoddy with sculpt or paintwork (Griffon for instance), but that's an exception, not the rule.

4) Vinegar is a very bad idea. Simply using water (and optionally a gentle soap) will be enough. Just don't expose it to sun light, nor to very high and very low temperatures.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 11:30   Link #5231
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Something rare? Are figures like diamond? Where despite high demand, the company will still only produced a fixed amount to make sure people will jump in to order whenever new one is released?


The vinegar is more of a joke, i think it's supposed to apply for burn wound or something
But from physic point of view, wouldn't wash them making it easier for the paint to be washed off? Is dusts the only thing that needed to be worried about? If so, I thought everyone would have one of those brush thingy where you see movies with museum caretakers brushing their treasures with?
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-05-22 at 11:40.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 13:42   Link #5232
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Something rare? Are figures like diamond? Where despite high demand, the company will still only produced a fixed amount to make sure people will jump in to order whenever new one is released?


The vinegar is more of a joke, i think it's supposed to apply for burn wound or something
But from physic point of view, wouldn't wash them making it easier for the paint to be washed off? Is dusts the only thing that needed to be worried about? If so, I thought everyone would have one of those brush thingy where you see movies with museum caretakers brushing their treasures with?
Yeah, that's about it. There are companies, like Kotobukiya which re-release their own figures from time to time (take Holo for example, she's getting her fourth release this year), but other top grade manufacturers (like Max Factory or Alter) usually never do that. They produce a small set amount and if you do not pre-order a popular character's figure you risk missing out on it and may have to buy it later on an even higher price from a re-seller.

For example, today I acquired a Ryofu Housen figure that was made by Yamato back in 2006.
Spoiler for Pic:

It's quality is not higher than average and Ikkitousen is not even that popular anymore, yet the re-sellers on ebay are still asking between $60 and $200 for it because it's rare and you cannot buy it from an official international webshop.


You can use a makeup brush to get rid of slight layers of dust. If the figure is more dirty than that, just put it in bowl of cold water and wash it by hand.
Never put it under a running tap though, because that might damage the paint after a few occasions.
Apart from the dust, the other importnant concern is heat. If you live on a hot climate, lesser quality figures might bend because of the constant heat, and their painting could also turn sticky. Nendoroids are not bothered by this, GSC is one of the top figure manufacturers after all.

And of course, don't put the figures out under the sun on a regular basis, because like with everything else, their colors will fade out.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif

Last edited by Revan21; 2014-05-22 at 13:54.
Revan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 17:44   Link #5233
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
What qualifies as a "hot climate"? 70F? 80F? 90F?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 21:08   Link #5234
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
Yeah, that's about it. There are companies, like Kotobukiya which re-release their own figures from time to time (take Holo for example, she's getting her fourth release this year), but other top grade manufacturers (like Max Factory or Alter) usually never do that. They produce a small set amount and if you do not pre-order a popular character's figure you risk missing out on it and may have to buy it later on an even higher price from a re-seller.

For example, today I acquired a Ryofu Housen figure that was made by Yamato back in 2006.
Spoiler for Pic:

It's quality is not higher than average and Ikkitousen is not even that popular anymore, yet the re-sellers on ebay are still asking between $60 and $200 for it because it's rare and you cannot buy it from an official international webshop.


You can use a makeup brush to get rid of slight layers of dust. If the figure is more dirty than that, just put it in bowl of cold water and wash it by hand.
Never put it under a running tap though, because that might damage the paint after a few occasions.
Apart from the dust, the other importnant concern is heat. If you live on a hot climate, lesser quality figures might bend because of the constant heat, and their painting could also turn sticky. Nendoroids are not bothered by this, GSC is one of the top figure manufacturers after all.

And of course, don't put the figures out under the sun on a regular basis, because like with everything else, their colors will fade out.
Hey thank!!

How is the figure price generally panned out over time btw? For example, what I often do with general goods are to wait until they ran out of fashion. out of hype, and then go hunt for a severely discounted one (especially worked with console game). But it seems this tactic does not work with figures?

Because i don't see any figure made previous to 2009, or even 2012 in AmiAmi. Even the older one was still seems on the hunt by collectors in myfigure.net , while the selling pre-owned one is as expensive as back when they were released.

It's going so bad that even when i thought about buying some older decent-looking figure with 40-50% discount price (from WAVE, rank A/B and such). I started to afraid that maybe the whole series were defected (or the company could not be trusted), that's why they are allowed to give such big discount on them.
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-05-22 at 21:36.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 02:29   Link #5235
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
What qualifies as a "hot climate"? 70F? 80F? 90F?
70F is just fine
Around and above 85F might already be bad, but like I said, this only goes for lesser quality and older figures.



Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Hey thank!!

How is the figure price generally panned out over time btw? For example, what I often do with general goods are to wait until they ran out of fashion. out of hype, and then go hunt for a severely discounted one (especially worked with console game). But it seems this tactic does not work with figures?

Because i don't see any figure made previous to 2009, or even 2012 in AmiAmi. Even the older one was still seems on the hunt by collectors in myfigure.net , while the selling pre-owned one is as expensive as back when they were released.

It's going so bad that even when i thought about buying some older decent-looking figure with 40-50% discount price (from WAVE, rank A/B and such). I started to afraid that maybe the whole series were defected (or the company could not be trusted), that's why they are allowed to give such big discount on them.
Hard to tell.
I guess it mostly depends on the popularity of the character, the brand and how many other figure releases that character got.
For example anauthentic GSC Inner Moka's price is measured in gold since this is the only top quality figure made of this character and she has only been released once.
On the other hand Venis which has been a collaboration between two top companies took years to sell out because no one really knows the character and you can still get it second hand for a reasonably low price.

You can also wait for the hype to die down and pick up a figure for a cheap price from a re-seller, but that does not happen often. It worked for Black Rock Shooter, people bought pretty much everything while it was running and now many are getting rid of their BRS items. It does not really work for Fate/stay night though, that series and it's characters are always popular

AmiAmi and the other webshops get their stock from the manufacturers. Once it has depleted they won't be selling the figure again until it is re-released. In that case you can only get it pre-owned or from other auction sites. And like I said, the price for that depend on the figure's popularity and rarity.

WAVE is a decent brand but it was not always so. Their products from before 2010 were pretty bad, resulting in bending and getting all sticky. But nowdays they are okay, although their price are usually too high, this is why their figures end up going on sales.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 04:42   Link #5236
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Considering how very few of figure collectors lives in Australia, it seems buying from reseller will be a bad idea no matter what as the shipping cost (mostly from US) will definitely add up back to original value. Unless i can find a vault of authentic forgotten figure somewhere in Australia (we can't look for seller only in a certain region on myyfigurecollection.net, can we). Otherwise i would really hate to pay a lot of extra for the same thing which others can pay for less.


That made it kinda ironic somewhat. As i really enjoyed collecting and preserving stuffs, and have I lived in Japan or US, I would have almost certainly become one of those obsessing on collecting figures.
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 07:39   Link #5237
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Figure collecting can be a pain in the rear


On a happier note,
My MegaHouse Melda Dietz has arrived last weekend




And just the other day picked up Kuroyukihime's nendoroid from a local collector.

__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 09:51   Link #5238
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Looks nice, but it's not the actual photoes of them isn't it?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 10:35   Link #5239
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Age: 26
Well, haven't been on in a long time, but that's a different matter. Couldn't really think of a better place to put this, so I'll put it here.

Since I've been gone, a couple years ago my apartment burnt up and many of my figures were heavily smoke damaged. Compressed air doesn't do much. Cleaning solutions that were powerful enough to remove the soot would damage the figures, and normal household cleaners would just kind of smear and remove the dust, but not take away the gray "stains."

In the last couple couple I have discovered something really cool. If you take a standard pencil eraser, like the kind meant for mechanical pencils, and stick it in the chuck of a drill or a dremel and use it like a buffer, it will eat 95-100% of the smoke damage off of standard figure material without harming the colors or detail one bit. It even works on my figures which have been sitting covered in smoke mist in a box for two years now. The material does not stain very deeply, apparently.

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone ever runs into this kind of problem.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 04:21   Link #5240
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Looks nice, but it's not the actual photoes of them isn't it?
No, I did not have time to make proper photos of them yet



Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
Since I've been gone, a couple years ago my apartment burnt up and many of my figures were heavily smoke damaged.
I'm always afraid that will happen to me too, and all my collection will go up in flames
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.