AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 12:20   Link #1
moneylee

anime on Philips DVP642

I just got a Phillips DVP642 DVD player that plays DivX files. When I test it out it works fine playing Divx but there is a smal problem.

Whenever I play a divx movie with subtitles (like anime), the subtitles are cut on the bottom of the screen and most of the time I can't read them. When I watch a DVD with subtitles its fine. Only when viewing a DivX file with subtitles will give me this problem.

Any solutions?

Last edited by moneylee; 2004-10-23 at 14:41.
moneylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 12:46   Link #2
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylee
will i just went and picked up Philips DVP642 today and i tryed to watch my anime on it, but i have a problem.... i cant see the subtitles.. its been cut off on the bottom.. try to set the video at 4:6 SL(something like that) thats what it said to do in the book.. but nothing changed.. anyone know how to fix this??
I am a owner too of a Philips DVP640/2 and I don't have any subtitle problems.

Do you have installed the latest firmware ?

Check this link:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...CT=FUS&DID=ENG

at the aboveleft corner of above link is a clickable link "download firmware upgrade - software" to download the latest firmware ; read instructions first.
MarcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:42   Link #3
moneylee

nope doesnt work.. upgraded.. still the subtitles are cut off... need more info.. if i cant fix this.. this mean i got the damn thing for nothing.. wast of money..
Old 2004-10-23, 17:41   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

There is something called the "TV safe area" for subtitles. Many fansubs assume the videos are being watched on computers and don't abide by this safe zone. Commercial DVDs do.

I believe it is the TV that "overscans" the image and causes part of it to get cut off. In the case of fansubs, that means the subtitles get cut off. Someone else will have to confirm or deny that it is the TV's fault that happens, though, I'm not positive.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 18:08   Link #5
Anbu_33

Send a message via MSN to Anbu_33
i have one aswell , its the tv , if you use the search option youll find a couple of threads here that helped me solving this problem , sorry for not looking them up , jeje, you just need virtualdub if your only burning the divx files.
Anbu_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 04:29   Link #6
MarcB

Quote:
I just got a Phillips DVP642 DVD player that plays DivX files. When I test it out it works fine playing Divx but there is a smal problem.

Whenever I play a divx movie with subtitles (like anime), the subtitles are cut on the bottom of the screen and most of the time I can't read them. When I watch a DVD with subtitles its fine. Only when viewing a DivX file with subtitles will give me this problem.

Any solutions?
With which "unlicensed English anime" fansub(s) do you have subtitle problems ?. Just out of interest so that I can check for you with my setup.
Old 2004-10-24, 07:12   Link #7
moneylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB
With which "unlicensed English anime" fansub(s) do you have subtitle problems ?. Just out of interest so that I can check for you with my setup.
its call NARUTO!!!! haha
Old 2004-10-24, 12:59   Link #8
MarcB

Quote:
its call NARUTO!!!! haha
ok; I can read the subtitles on my setup:

Old 2004-10-24, 13:56   Link #9
moneylee

it would seem.. that urs have those black things
Old 2004-10-24, 14:13   Link #10
hcl4

How old is your TV? The TV I had used before has the same problem and it is more than 10 years old. You are gonna have to use a newer TV to get it working I suppose.
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 15:19   Link #11
bschultz

ohh I'm pissed I have this dvd player and have the same problem with the overscan. my tv is even pretty new only like 3 years old. damn you for having a prefectly working set up!.

could anyone offer any help or ideas as to how to fix this with out having to rencode the whole damn thing?. thats just to much trouble.
bschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 15:48   Link #12
MarcB

Quote:
it would seem.. that urs have those black things
That is because this fansub is encoded with the resolution of 640x480.
There are no "black things" visible with fansubs encoded at a higher resolution.

I assume you mean with black things the borders at the left and the right of my television .

Please note that I use a scart cable connection with RGB output selected in the system menu.
Old 2004-10-24, 20:27   Link #13
festosis

do you watch Naruto in 16:9 can you watch it in progressive scan in 4:3 mode? can you post a pic if you can? I use a S-video cable from my video card to my HDTV to watch fansubs. Would getting this player make the resolution of the fansubs any better than my hookup? I store my fansubs in dvd+r discs does the players support reading avi's from a dvd+r?
festosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 12:05   Link #14
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by festosis
do you watch Naruto in 16:9 can you watch it in progressive scan in 4:3 mode? can you post a pic if you can? I use a S-video cable from my video card to my HDTV to watch fansubs. Would getting this player make the resolution of the fansubs any better than my hookup? I store my fansubs in dvd+r discs does the players support reading avi's from a dvd+r?
Naruto 640X480 = 4:3 ratio. But yes I watch Naruto in 16:9 because the image is stretched automagically by my television as you can see on above pics.

I use the RGB output via a Scart-cable which is/should be better quality than S-video.

The DVP640/2 has several different output options so you have to do some research if one of these outputs has better quality than S-Video. I do not have a HDTV television so I am unable to check for you.

The player only supports the AVI container format, sound in MP3 format, Xvid and Divx formats without QPEL and/or GMC.

If the Xvid or Divx is encoded with QPEL and/or GMC you have to transcode these fansubs with Virtualdub.
Old 2004-11-18, 05:27   Link #15
gigi2

16:8 Aspect Ratio TV works?

So does that mean if I play Naruto on a 16:9 apsect ratio TV then the subtitles won't get cut off? Cuz I'm planning on getting a new TV anyway so I want to make sure that I get one that supports the subtitles for the anime as well.
gigi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 02:02   Link #16
Junpei

Hmm. I have the Philips DVP642 and the video of all fansub files gets cropped quite badly due to my TV's overscan area. But, it's not limited to fansubs. Some of my R0 DVD's (I know, not real high quality stuff there) have the same problem with this DVD player, whereas the problem is not visible with my PS2 playing those DVD's. So, it's a problem with this DVD player, but it seems some of you people don't have it.

For those of you who can see your subtitles, what TV's do you have? How is the DVD player connected (RGB, S-Video, Component)? I have a several year old 27" Orion, no progressive scan, just a regular old "tube," and the player is hooked up with a Monster Cable S-Video cable. I'm planning on getting a new TV next year, but with this new issue I want to be careful what I get!

Last edited by Junpei; 2004-12-08 at 03:10.
Junpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 17:36   Link #17
woaini84

question about dvd player >>> Phillips DVP642

Anybody in here have this dvd player? A couple of years ago, I went to Best Buy and asked a seller if there's any dvd player that can play divx files, and he looked at me as if I'm insane; obviously, at that time, there's no such thing! Until recently, I found out about da Phillips DVP642 that can play all sorts of files, including avi. I'm ecstatic! I dunno if it has been out for a long time or not, but I'm glad that I finally got my hands on it!

A question for those that have this player: I can't seem to be able to watch some fansubs because da subtitle is cut off. It seems like da sides got cut, and it doesn't fit my TV screen. Do u guys have da same problem? I've tried other avi files, and apparently I only have this problem with fansubs, particularly Naruto. Anyone who knows how to resize it so that it can fit on my TV screen, please let me know, I'm forever grateful! Thanks before hand!

Last edited by woaini84; 2004-12-24 at 17:56.
woaini84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 01:14   Link #18
JI2886

yea i just got this for xmas and this problem also happens to me with naruto. the subs at the bottom get cut off. i hope theres a way to fix this. can anyone help
JI2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 02:43   Link #19
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI2886
yea i just got this for xmas and this problem also happens to me with naruto. the subs at the bottom get cut off. i hope theres a way to fix this. can anyone help
2 methods you can do. the lazy way and the time consuming way. .

1.) Lazy way: See if your DVD player has a Zoom control, you should be able to Zoom out. If you do so you'll be able to see everything. (this is what I do)

2.) Time Consuming way: You have to use a program to that will let you resize the video. Change the aspect ratio to 90-95%. I know if you encode the video to mpeg you can do this. Mess around with the expert settings in TmpgEnc. .
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 14:25   Link #20
JI2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
2 methods you can do. the lazy way and the time consuming way. .

1.) Lazy way: See if your DVD player has a Zoom control, you should be able to Zoom out. If you do so you'll be able to see everything. (this is what I do)

2.) Time Consuming way: You have to use a program to that will let you resize the video. Change the aspect ratio to 90-95%. I know if you encode the video to mpeg you can do this. Mess around with the expert settings in TmpgEnc. .
well the one i have just has a zoom in feature. dont know y it wouldnt have a zoom out if it has a zoom in. maybe there is a way that just dont know how to do it. well i guess the only that i can do is just to resize the video or i can exchange the dvd player for one that has zoom out
JI2886 is offline   Reply With Quote