AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-25, 15:51   Link #21
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by woaini84
Anybody in here have this dvd player? A couple of years ago, I went to Best Buy and asked a seller if there's any dvd player that can play divx files, and he looked at me as if I'm insane; obviously, at that time, there's no such thing! Until recently, I found out about da Phillips DVP642 that can play all sorts of files, including avi. I'm ecstatic! I dunno if it has been out for a long time or not, but I'm glad that I finally got my hands on it!

A question for those that have this player: I can't seem to be able to watch some fansubs because da subtitle is cut off. It seems like da sides got cut, and it doesn't fit my TV screen. Do u guys have da same problem? I've tried other avi files, and apparently I only have this problem with fansubs, particularly Naruto. Anyone who knows how to resize it so that it can fit on my TV screen, please let me know, I'm forever grateful! Thanks before hand!
I own a Philips 642. And I don't have any problems with subtitles (guess I am lucky).

See also my replies (with photos of Naruto fansub) in this topic :

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=22721

If you have any questions then please let me know and I will check it out for you with my setup.
MarcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 16:01   Link #22
iceyfw

i got the phillips dvp642 player for xmas too. for the anime fansubs that dont work on the player, you have to convert them and same thing goes for your subtitles that get cut off. i got my prayers answered 2 weeks ago . first you have to use a program called TMPGEnc. it converts avi files to mpeg 1 or 2. i usually use 2 because its higher quality... mepg1 is shit. but if your gonna use mpeg2 for your conversion, i suggest you get some dvd discs and a dvd burner because each file is either over 700mb or 1400mb after you finished converting em. heres the link http://www.tmpg-inc.com/ use the trial version.

if you checked MarcB's posts and see the pixs, you can notice there are black edges around the screen. i use the center(keep aspect ratio) in the clip frame option and it shows on my tv sooooo good like it would on a monitor (it shows full screen w/o no edges appearing)

Last edited by iceyfw; 2004-12-25 at 16:12.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 16:20   Link #23
JI2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB
I own a Philips 642. And I don't have any problems with subtitles (guess I am lucky).

See also my replies (with photos of Naruto fansub) in this topic :

If you have any questions then please let me know and I will check it out for you with my setup.
hmm how did u set it up so the subs wont get cut off?? also woulrd the tv size matter?
JI2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 16:21   Link #24
JI2886

opps my bad the msg i wrote ^ got posted 2 times
Old 2004-12-25, 16:40   Link #25
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI2886
hmm how did u set it up so the subs wont get cut off?? also woulrd the tv size matter?
I use the " automatic " or the " super zoom" option on my television. I don't know if tv size matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy
if you checked MarcB's posts and see the pixs, you can notice there are black edges around the screen. i use the center(keep aspect ratio) in the clip frame option and it shows on my tv sooooo good like it would on a monitor (it shows full screen w/o no edges appearing)
Please note that those black edges are a part of the television itself and not the actual viewable screen (this is a bit difficult to explain for me as English is not my native language). I do not notice those black edges around the screen at all while watching fansubs.
MarcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 16:54   Link #26
JI2886

so u never changed any settings with the dvd player?
Old 2004-12-26, 01:05   Link #27
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI2886
well the one i have just has a zoom in feature. dont know y it wouldnt have a zoom out if it has a zoom in. maybe there is a way that just dont know how to do it. well i guess the only that i can do is just to resize the video or i can exchange the dvd player for one that has zoom out
My dvd player that has the zoom out function only costed me $40. It's made by AMW. It's surprisingly a really good DVD player. It had been able to play VCD/DVD i've ever made. (It doesn't play AVI, at least my model doesn't)
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 15:06   Link #28
JI2886

so does anyone know how to set this up so the subs wont get cut off without re-encodin to changin the aspect ratio?

Last edited by JI2886; 2004-12-26 at 19:56.
Old 2004-12-26, 19:44   Link #29
RichMan
????

The only other way I know is to get a larger TV. If you get one big enough then the subtitles should stay on screen (instead of going out). On my 27in TV, the subtitles go off screen, but I noticed on my parents TV (that I think is 32in) it does a better job keeping the subtitles on screen.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 19:59   Link #30
JI2886

yea im gonna try on a bigger tv to see if that works. if that doesnt work i guess im just gonna have to wait till philips has an updated firmware fiixin that problem
Old 2004-12-28, 19:12   Link #31
ShadowX114
is my nickname

I bought the dvd/divx player 642, 3 days ago. I only watched 2 animes on it. 1 of them , which is GTO, was perfect except it had a small problem. When 2 people are talking atthe same time, the fansubs split on 2: on the left of the screen and on the right of the screen. So I can only read the last 3 words of the sentance which is on the left screen and the first 3-4 words of the sentance of the right screen. But when its normal subbing (bottom of the screen), I can read the fansubs perfectly. My TV is around 26". The other anime didn't have a fansub problem but it did have a sound problem, it keeps cutting from time to time...anyways dont want to do off topic with this one.
I'm going to try naruto soon, so i will tell u what happened.

**EDIT**, ok I tried the naruto eps (ANBU & AONE subs), I also have the subs problems, even by trying the 3 size options (16:3,...) none worked. I was able to read the subs but not fully. Like if there was 2 lines, I can read the 1st line perfectly but the one under it is cut by half. so I guess the problem is that the resolution is too big.

Last edited by ShadowX114; 2004-12-28 at 20:23.
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 19:42   Link #32
iceyfw

Or it could be the TV-Overscan for the fansub.
Old 2004-12-29, 19:57   Link #33
^danshi^
running bear

So is there a good hardware DivX player that lets you zoom out to compensate for the TV overscan?
^danshi^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 20:54   Link #34
iceyfw

Theres supposed to be a zoom in and out function for the Phillips DVD Dvp642 player. But I haven't learned how to use it yet because when I try to play some my fansub animes, some of them don't work on the player. Like for example, Gundam Seed Destiny by A-king&Aone and Naruto by Dattabayo. Those don't work on the player so when I re-encode them into MPEG2 format, I also do the TV-Overscan border for them. Still, I wouldn't use the zoom function alot if the fansub anime you watch doesn't work on your player.
Old 2004-12-29, 21:50   Link #35
ShadowX114
is my nickname

As far as I know, there's only Zoom in 2x , no zoom out -_-
Argh, I'm starting to dislike the dvd a bit. I only got for 3 days and I got problems with the following: subbing problem with Naruto, sound that comes and go from another anime, pixelation with 2 movies burnt on the same DVD.
sucks huh

btw, what is overscan that u guys keep talking about?
Old 2004-12-29, 23:09   Link #36
iceyfw

The TV-Overscan meaning that the fansubs you watch were meant to be watched on computers, but when you try to watch them on your tv screen, it doesn't fit. Thats my definition of TV-Overscan.

There is a way to make your fansubs readible on your DVD player. Scroll up in this topic and you will see my post about it.
Old 2004-12-31, 01:52   Link #37
hayabusafmw

Philips 642/37 1109 (firmware) Naruto problem......

Hello guys....

I have recently downloaded naruto 1*25 to enjoy on my philips player....(wich i just got & said itwas playing DIVX i was so happy)

i burned the 25 ep as a iso dvd-r then pop itin

it plays....... but picture is like(overscan??) SUbs are hidden by edge of tv just like if it was stretched.....+ the lyrics of the song is hidden too it's really frustrating because of it i can't enjoy nothing yet....i really wanted to put myself into that serie im a big fan

anyone can solve this??????

please help me!!!!
thanks!!!
hayabusafmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 02:05   Link #38
iceyfw

This question pops out like every week. Plus, you posted in the wrong section.

Anyways, this is what I wrote down to another guy that had a problem silimilar to yours. This is what i would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy
i got the phillips dvp642 player for xmas too. for the anime fansubs that dont work on the player, you have to convert them and same thing goes for your subtitles that get cut off. i got my prayers answered 2 weeks ago . first you have to use a program called TMPGEnc. it converts avi files to mpeg 1 or 2. i usually use 2 because its higher quality... mepg1 is shit. but if your gonna use mpeg2 for your conversion, i suggest you get some dvd discs and a dvd burner because each file is either over 700mb or 1400mb after you finished converting em. heres the link http://www.tmpg-inc.com/ use the trial version.
If you have anymore problems or you want another solution, refer to these two topics:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=25746
Old 2004-12-31, 03:43   Link #39
ShadowX114
is my nickname

IcExAlcHeMy, so the only solution for this problem is to resize each episode with TMPG? Man that sucks cuz doing so with each episode takes too much time, plus you mentionned that each episode will take 700mb to 1300mb which sux even more because Naruto already take too much dvds because its a long serie.
So in conclusion, is there another way or is TMPG the only solution? oh and I want to get a bigger tv cuz my room isn't big enough so a 32" TV is really bad for my eyes. My 27" is already much.
Old 2004-12-31, 04:24   Link #40
iceyfw

I find TMPEGnc to be the easiest program to convert avi into mpeg2, but there might be more programs that are suitable to your likings. I learned this trick from GHDpro, divide your video and audio by 2. So it would become 4000 video rate and 192 for audio rate. That way it has the same quality and audio, but anything lower than that and you will start to notice quality and audio loss. You can find more programs from www.videohelp.com.

I still would convert them even if you could watch them clearly on your TV. Some fansub anime don't work for the DivX DVD Players that are available today. Like for example, Gundam Seed Destiny by A-KING&AONE and Grenadier by Anime-Keep. A-King&AONE probably uses a different codec for their video like XviD which is a completely different codec than DivX so it's not playable on the player.. Now for Anime-Keep, they use DivX so of course you can watch it on your DVD Player, but the only problem is... the subtitles get cut off so you might as well convert it so the subtitles don't get cut off. Get what I'm saying?

Last edited by iceyfw; 2004-12-31 at 07:15.