AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2004-10-30, 14:00   Link #21
hobbs
nothing 2 do with calvin!

Send a message via AIM to hobbs Send a message via MSN to hobbs Send a message via Yahoo to hobbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpinoyx01
Almost every commercial holliday has lost its original religious conotation...

For example Halloween which is tommarow used to be All Hallows Eve in preparation for All Souls Day. Basically a comemoration of those that had passed on etc. Now its just like yay free candy and egging houses yay -.-;;

fireworks day has no religous stuff in it at all! hehe ^_^ but then i think its only the UK who actually celebrate this day due to it all being about UK history of when guy fawks tried to blow up and houses of parliment. But i love the day! wooo fireworks!
Old 2004-10-30, 14:05   Link #22
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Okay, but the other one was just in case someone asked the question that would make me implode:
What is Christmas?
Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ. At probably around 4 A.D. or C.E.(It's not zero). Measured and guessed by Dinoyus the Dwarf.

Before the dates where "I was born on the 2nd year of the emperor Augustus"
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 14:08   Link #23
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

Quote:
Spoiler for question:
African culture ? Where you celebrate a tribe or a community of peoples with the same blood ?
Old 2004-10-30, 18:00   Link #24
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
African culture ? Where you celebrate a tribe or a community of peoples with the same blood ?
Wikipedia on Kwanzaa. And before you criticize it as being an 'invented' holiday, remember--from a Christian theological standpoint, the dates for Easter and Christmas are basically 'invented', too. Like Kwanzaa, those dates were just chosen to match up with existing holidays.

The creator of Kwanzaa just took what he believed was important and used it to build a new holiday over an existing one. There's nothing new about that.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 20:10   Link #25
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Holidays have been a part of most human cultures for centuries. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with them. Regardless of the origins of various holidays or the way they are celebrated or exploited, they are a good opportunity for some face-time -- it's up to people as individuals to make the most of it.
Old 2004-10-30, 20:55   Link #26
???
Unknown

For those who didn't know, Japan as the most holidays in the world. They celebrate something every 2weeks. Each holidays are different. Sometimes school close and sometimes student participate it indoor school.
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 23:55   Link #27
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOfAnime
"Bah Humbug" to everybody ^^;; <That was SARCASM> I love teh Christmas. We celebrate the holiday as the birth of Jesus and we give gifts as the wise men gave to the baby. For me it is not about the money. It is about giving without expecting back. Santa fits that bill. I love the Magic but then again I have never grown up and am still a child at heart. I see the magic of possibilities. Besides SANTA gives up on you when you quit believing.

When the magic is gone it is all about Money and stupid stuff. Just my opinion tho' and Yes I still watch all of the fantastic christmas movies that play. So sue me! My favorite being HOME ALONE 2. Has a very sweet feeling to it and a good message to boot.

Does anyone else still decorate a tree here other than me? I love it! I buy ornaments each year and write my kids names on the back and the current year. That way their first christmas away from home when they move I will give them each their own box of ornaments to start their new lives.

We still drink hot cocoa and read the bible to hear the greatest story ever told. We do not go to an actual church service tho'. We spend time with our families and open gifts and eat all the goodies. I also pull out the CD I made with all the favorite Christmas music on it and I blast HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS! (the greatest christmas song ever written) if you cannot tell by now Christmas IS my favorite time of the year.
Good times spent with family Its always the one time where everyone can really come together ( I love watching "A Christmas Story" with my younger cousins). I like to see my relatives (not all of them of course, > but I always have a good time with them.
Old 2004-10-30, 23:59   Link #28
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
It annoys me how its October and we have Christmas decorations in shops but i like the whole get together with family thing and have a good meal, either than that its the only holiday we celibrate, Easter is a day for lazing around and Halloween is nearly non-existant and is thought of as a very American thing.
Old 2004-10-31, 11:07   Link #29
hobbs
nothing 2 do with calvin!

Send a message via AIM to hobbs Send a message via MSN to hobbs Send a message via Yahoo to hobbs
true i ignore halloween its for america, same with thanksgiving, no other countries really celebrate these because we have no reason too.
Like how china has White Day most people have never even heard of that nor know what it is.
I dont really understand why a certain amount of people in the UK do halloween, we dont have any reason for it and to me its a dumb idea, yeah lets go on knock on peoples door and ask for candy, how long until you knock on a pedo's door? Well thats my view on it anyway. I guess america is sorta more safe in some areas.
Old 2004-10-31, 11:24   Link #30
Ending

I don't really celebrate it -it is just a few days of holiday to me and a time I have to visit some of my relatives (or hear nagging about it for the next 365 days).

Nevertheless, I guess it is good to have one day in a year you can celebrate something... whatever that is.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 11:25   Link #31
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
Also christmas isn't a christian day, its origin is pagan aswell. It was taken over by the church because they felt it was easier to hijack days and events already in existence rather than make new ones, since people were already used to making oferings and stuff on that day. Easter is another example of this, as is May Day.
Well, they didn't really 'hijack' them, but like you said it is a classic example of cultural diffusion. The fact that familiarity made the acceptance of the Christian religion much easier may have come into play when traditional Pagan beliefs were molded into the Christian way of life, but it may have just been an adaptation by the newest converts, not a choice by the church. Whatever the reason, it is completely true that the Christian religions have gone through a number of changes due to cultural diffusion.

At any rate, being Roman Catholic (my father is from Ireland), I have always celebrated the Christian holidays. I might not be the best church-goer in the world, but my going to a Catholic high school makes up for it, right?

My family isn't overly religious or anything; we go to the mass for the holiday and from there on in we kind of drop the religious theme. Some people probably despise doing something like that, and I guess I can't blame them, but the holidays are for the young children in my family. I don't think it's fair to bore them with bible stories .

Of course... I LOVE PRESENTS. Yes, I am greedy, I'll admit it, but presents rock. So do school breaks. I think holidays are win-win situations, personally
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 10:47   Link #32
Briareos

I grew up in a very conservative Christian church. I never felt sincerely moved by the religion, although I was very moved by the sincerity of some of the christians I've known. Anyhow, as I grew older and looked at Christianity from a historical stand point, I realized that it was something that was created by humans just like every other religion. (I'm not saying that there is no higher power out there. I'm just saying that no religion has a monopoly on truth.)

Having said that, holidays are what you make them. To me, they're best when they're used for being close to the people in our lives that mean the most to us. They're a time to focus on what really matters during our short lives.

I took my 6-year-old and 2-year-old around our old neighborhood trick-or-treating last night. Then we went to a local church where the memebers make a circle of cars and pass out candy from their decorated trunks. We bobbed for apples, took a hayride, and then wound down as a family at home.

To me the significance of the day was defined by the time and fun I was able to have with my family. That's what's really important to me.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 11:54   Link #33
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It seems yesterday was Halloween. I saw one group of dressed up adults at mcdonalds late at night who must have come from a halloween party.
Apart from that there was a single group of seven little girls, that showed up at my parents house for "trick or threat". Of course, my parents didnt buy sweets for halloween (those were the very first children ever trying trick or threat at their house on halloween after all), so those poor girls had to leave without gaining anything.
Somehow my mother was feeling guilty the whole evening I think.

Anyway there will be another day shortly called St.Martin`s day, which is our traditional trick or threat day (the children dont dress up though... they carry laterns around and have to sing songs for sweets ).
I hope those little girls will still have faith after running around all halloween without success and try again on that day.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 17:18   Link #34
netyello
RCT - Rice Like Wo_OAH

Send a message via AIM to netyello Send a message via MSN to netyello Send a message via Yahoo to netyello
Christmas Factoid:

I forgot the year, but "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" was invented by Montgomery Wards to boost retail sales during Christmas time. Learned this from one the the employee handbooks when I worked there a year before the retail chain closed all its stores for good.
Old 2004-11-01, 17:31   Link #35
Shadowlord
~DESU

Christmas for me involves present, yup, thats it. Since my entire family except my mom whom I live with lives on the other side of Canada, I see them once every 11 years. We still decorate for christmas, but christmas to me is all about the presents. Since 2 years ago I picked out my own present and knew for a fact what i was getting. Some years, I even get my christmas presents before christmas.
Old 2004-11-01, 20:26   Link #36
Zelgadis
aka. ZP

Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis
Actual Celebration in the traditional sence, I don't think we celebrate any of them. Christmas has become the family vacation days (Less presents, more fun elsewhere). The rest of the holidays have been my close family gatherings with the traditional meals. My family has never been very religous.

I guess it all depends on the Country/religion/family for which and how you celebrate holidays. Besides, traditional holidays were meant to be a way for people to gather together in some meaningful way. True?
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 20:32   Link #37
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Also christmas isn't a christian day, its origin is pagan aswell. It was taken over by the church because they felt it was easier to hijack days and events already in existence rather than make new ones, since people were already used to making oferings and stuff on that day. Easter is another example of this, as is May Day.

uhm... isnt Good Friday and Easter on the same week as Passover? The Last Supper was on Passover right? Passover is by the Jewish calender no? Doesnt this make Easter (the resurection of Christ) the correct date? Or am i mistaken?

Christmas (12/25) probably isnt the ACTUAL date of birth of Christ. But we celebrate his birth on that date since i doubt anyone knows the ACTUAL date.

Quote:
Lol, do people celebrate them? Uh, yeah, christmas is one of the more (if not the most) major holiday of the year. Atleast here it is. I'm against religious crap, but I like the feeling of Christmas so it has always been my favorite holiday.

why is it crap? you must be old fashioned if u consider someone else's belief to be crap. Upset to still find such prejudice on this kind of forum.
Phantom Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 23:48   Link #38
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
You poor human. You haven't even celebrated Christmas. Christmas is the holiday of rejoycing the resurrection of our Lord (well, not my Lord. I'm an aithiest. Even more so the probably Hobbsy)
Pfft, ressurection? That's Easter. Which is free chocolate and pres... Ah, I see where you were coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Personally I've never ever celebrated this.
Actually didn't even know it was Thanksgiving today :P
But I'm not living in a country were religion is taking over people's bodies
Bad Thany, bad. Go to your room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
It's the Christian Piece of sh*t holidays. Does any one even celebrate them any more?
So, I'm confused as to why you started this thread, HL, what were you referring to, and why were you so vague?

SCC
Old 2004-11-02, 01:21   Link #39
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

It's been a while, hasn't it?

Halloween is another religious holiday that got skewed by the public. Many people don't know it, but it has its roots in Christianity.

The church made All Hallows Day on November first to, in effect, cover up All Hallowes Evening, a pagan holidy where free spirits roamed to find bodies to reincarnate in. October 31 also marks the end of the year for many pagan religions and is used as a day for rituals [a reason the pound stops adopting black cats this time of year].The costumes we use for recreation in the modern day were initially used to disguise ourselves from these spirits [which makes me wonder, if you didn't like someone, could you dress as him/her?]. All Hallows Day faded, but All Hallowes Evening remained, becoming Halloween.

I'll post about the Jack-o-Lantern later...
Old 2004-11-02, 17:06   Link #40
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
Pfft, ressurection? That's Easter.

SCC
I got Christmas and Easter's meaning of celebartion mixed up. Don't know why, but I did. -_-;

He's Jesus. He can do anything, including resurrecting before the resurrection as said in the Bible. I'm an aithiest. I don't care when he was born or when he became the living undead and then flew into the clouds or if he swallowed a puzzle piece and The Man in the Yellow Suit had to take him to the hospital for surgery.

You want to know a real useless holiday, people? It's called Mother-in-Law Day. Don't remember what date this is celebrated, but they did make up one. I guess the gift card industry was running low on cash.

Last edited by OutPhase; 2004-11-02 at 17:24.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote