AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-30, 15:22   Link #1
aahhsin

Ray

This movie is very very good. I saw it yesterday because Saw and the Grudge was sold out, and I was already at the theatre, so why not.

Of course Ray is about the 1960's singer Ray Charles Robinson, starring Jamie Foxx. It's a nice biography movie that attempts to cover the life of Ray Charles.

the movie starts off in 1950's Florida, showing Ray Charles taking a segregated bus to go to seattle. Slowly, but surely, his success is being formed and of course he becomes the music legend he is today. His battle against Segregation, Heroin, family, and of course his guilt of letting his brother drown. All of this comes back to haunt him and his words of music.

Well that's pretty much it, The movie works surprisingly well because of Foxx, who starred with Tom Cruise in Collateral. Foxx's acting is absolutely superb, who ever knew a comedian could play a blind musician so well? The emotion he puts into his character is unbelievable.

Although the ending felt a bit rushed, even though the movie was almost 3 hours. It doesn't deteriate from the rest of the movie. It is highly recommended, especially after Halloween. I know it may sound boring, and the movie is comming out at probably the worst time possible, unless you think that Ray Charles is going to haunt you with his ghost.... but it's just that damn good.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 15:39   Link #2
Cookie

Boooooring !
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 15:55   Link #3
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie
Boooooring !
Please, if you've got nothing to say, then shut up.

This movie sounds pretty good. I hadn't heard anything about it over here in The Netherlands, but I hope it'll come in theatres here.
Old 2004-10-30, 16:25   Link #4
aahhsin

Quote:
Boooooring !
Actually I was expecting this. It's a whole lot better then.

"Gimme some nas babbyyy!!"
"VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!"
"Now thas fast nigga."
Old 2004-10-30, 19:18   Link #5
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Actually I was expecting this. It's a whole lot better then.

"Gimme some nas babbyyy!!"
"VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!"
"Now thas fast nigga."
Anyway I guess It does look intresting as an none box-office movie I'm absolutly certain I'll see this in theater ^^ big spliff rolling up
Old 2004-10-30, 19:30   Link #6
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Boooooring !
Have you learned nothing from your week long ban,or do you need another week from the mods. NSW was awfully pissed about last time.

Anyway.....

I guess this movie wasn't advertised as much as The Grudge or Saw. The movie you've seen sounds more like a documentary more so than a movie.

Hmmm.... Ray Charles was blind. Was he black, or am I thinking of someone else who played music and was blind?
Old 2004-10-30, 19:36   Link #7
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Have you learned nothing from your week long ban,or do you need another week from the mods. NSW was awfully pissed about last time.

Anyway.....

I guess this movie wasn't advertised as much as The Grudge or Saw. The movie you've seen sounds more like a documentary more so than a movie.

Hmmm.... Ray Charles was blind. Was he black, or am I thinking of someone else who played music and was blind?
Lol you're probably refering to Stevie Wander or was Ray blind also ??
Old 2004-10-30, 19:47   Link #8
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Lol you're probably refering to Stevie Wander or was Ray blind also ??
He's as blind and as black as Stevie Wonder. Just remember this order of black artists.

Nat King Cole = 50's
Ray Charles = 60's
Stevie Wonder = 70's
Michael Jackson = 80's
Tupac Shakur = 90's
Old 2004-10-30, 22:13   Link #9
CalamitiesEnd

Edit* I was feeling mean Edit* The movie was ok not much to say about it.

Last edited by CalamitiesEnd; 2004-10-30 at 22:24.
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 23:11   Link #10
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Anyway.....

It's basically a documentary which shows how the events in Ray Charles life influenced his music. Think the movie took over a decade to get released with the process starting while Ray Charles was still alive. He had some input on the project and mainly wanted the movie to be fair and accurate. Which I think it was. Guy had an uphill road to climb in life. Born to a family living in poverty, learning to cope with the progression of his blindness as a child, being black and dealing with racial prejudice/segregation, and along the way making some mistakes like getting into drugs and commiting adultry. Thought the movie was interesting rather than boring.

The idea of watching "The Grudge" with Buffy in a US remake of "Ju-On" scared me worse than anything they could do in "Saw", so I went with seeing "Ray" instead. Thought about seeing "Surviving Christmas", but it seems screwy to watch a Christmas movie during Halloween weekend. Besides, I'm waiting to see "Christmas with the Kranks" when that eventually comes out. Although why they couldn't just name the movie the same as the novel the movie was based on "Skipping Christmas", I don't know. Guess they had legal issues to work around.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 03:10   Link #11
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

It just scares me a comedy coming from Grisham...and doesn't it come out on Thanksgiving?
Old 2004-11-02, 18:37   Link #12
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
It just scares me a comedy coming from Grisham...and doesn't it come out on Thanksgiving?
Grisham isn't exactly someone people would normally associate with comedy. The book though was enjoyable to read, and having cast members like Tim Allen, Dan Aykroyd, and Jamie Lee Curtis should help make the movie fun to watch.

The Thanksgiving release is probably intended to catch the early surge of people going out to take advantage of traditional after Thanksgiving christmas sales in stores. I'm usually a last minute christmas shopper so that wouldn't work in my case, but I wouldn't mind going with relatives to see it that are in town for Thanksgiving.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote