AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-11-03, 12:12   Link #1
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

chkdsk log file location in XP

I've tried searching on google for the file path information, but I'm having trouble finding it.

I'd like to know where to view the damn log file because the only other chance to view what's wrong with your system is after the chkdsk scan... and I don't plan on sitting at the computer just waiting to see what was wrong and if chkdsk did anything about it.

I know you can set the log file size for chkdsk, but I can't find anywhere telling me where the log file is stored.
Old 2004-11-03, 13:15   Link #2
NightWish
Nothing More
*Administrator

When you say you know how to set the log size, do you mean the /L:size parameter? Because that log isn't a report of what chkdsk did... it is a transaction log that is part of the file system. To my knowledge chkdsk logs to the standard output (i.e. the console / screen / command prompt), which you can pipe to a file if you need to by adding "> filename" after the command line.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 14:23   Link #3
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Yeah, that's what I meant, I guess it's not the same thing then.

What I mean is when you schedule chdsk to run after a restart (instead of unmounting the drive), where does the log information go?

I finally typed in the lucky search string and it says it's in the Event Viewer in the Administration Tools section of the Control Panel.

I'm at college right now, so I'll have to check that out when I get home since I'm on Windows 2000 at college.