AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-07, 13:52   Link #1
Retsoor

In need of testosterone

The series that I've watched recently are breaking my balls. I'm tired of seeing angsty pre-teen girls who have problems with authorities being the manliest person on a show. Because of this, I was 'forced' to watch a Dragonball Z episode where Goku roars for five minutes straight (great stuff).

So, I am looking for anime series / OVAs / movies that have manly characters or "manly" themes (a beat em up fest, if you will). Here are some past experiences of mine and what I thought of them:

Berserk - I don't think I even need to explain why I liked this.

Grappler Baki - Doesn't even try to be anything but a fighting show, with no plot to speak of, but intense training and subsequent fights. And Hanma Yujiro.

Gungrave - I'm not sure if this qualifies to be here but I liked it a lot. The fights sucked, being mainly Brandon posing hands akimbo, but the camaraderie between Brandon and Harry I liked a lot.

Hajime no Ippo - See Berserk entry.

Ninja Scroll - The character of Jubei has always reminded me of some old western gunslingers, and the action's top-notch too.

Rurouni Kenshin - Hiko Seijuurou's face should be in the dictionary beside the word 'manly'.

Samurai Deeper Kyo - Antiheroes are always cool, and Kyo is no expection. Even he was somewhat soft but I can live with that.

Scryed - Fast-paced action, a plot that doesn't shine but serves it's purpose, the hate-hate -relationship between the two main characters and Kazuma. It was refreshing to see a character that instead of worrying about the consequences he plowes through the enemy.

Tekken - I've never understood why many feel the need to bash this piece of art. It has a man catching an axe with his teeth and then biting it to pieces. What's not to like?

I'm interested in more information of Fist of the North Star TV and Street Fighter TV series.

I'm not much (somewhat, but not in context of this thread) interested in shows like Naruto or Yu Yu Hakusho, since they don't pertain to the character requirements here (and I hate the theme of gathering strength only for protection, or "protecting your loved ones makes you stronger" until they introduce a narcissistic character).

Here's to hoping for a Conan anime, although I'm pessimistic enough to believe they'd rape it completely.
Old 2004-11-07, 19:17   Link #2
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
IM WITH THIS GUY ALL THE WAY THERE ARE WAY TO MANY ANIMES NOW WITHOUT SOME KICKASS LOOKING DUDES SURE the females look hott but jeeeez where is the coolness of the dudes i have seen FIST OF THE NORTH STAR TV and OVA they both tie into eachother and altho it is probably older than most of us on this site the fighting sequences were really good and gory i saw most of the animes u posted above but i have never seen HAJIME NO IPPO can u tell about it but if it is anything like the other animes u posted dont bother to tell me .....and BTW i like naruto and YU YU HAKUSHO not for the stupid story but the kickass fighting and the ditymouth of YUSUKE
Old 2004-11-07, 19:50   Link #3
MikoKikyo

Try PeaceMaker Kurogane. A lot of real kick ass stuff, somewhat like Ruroine Kenshin, but more. Go for it
Old 2004-11-07, 20:29   Link #4
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Kurogane had two good eps. The one with the blood, and the other one with the blood (basically beginning and ending).

Anyway, it's nice to finally see some guy on this board whose balls haven't retracted to the point of creating a vagina. Read the Berserk comic, man, it's good shit. But you've basically watched all the good shit. Baki, Berserk, Scryed. Haven't seen Tekken though, sounds good.

I'd suggest the Street FIghter TV series, but... well, it's a little fruity.
Old 2004-11-07, 20:44   Link #5
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
aww dude Naruto isnt that bad but i am goona see if i could get that Beserk manga any idea where i can get it tho ?
Old 2004-11-07, 20:53   Link #6
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
Kurogane had two good eps. The one with the blood, and the other one with the blood (basically beginning and ending).
Uhh there were more episodes "with the blood" and much more to it than the blood scenes, more well developed and great action scenes, imo, which is why I recommended it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
Begone, woman! This is a thread for men!
hahahahahahaha!!!

*Hey look it's a thread for MAN! RAWR!!!!*

Last edited by MikoKikyo; 2004-11-07 at 21:27.
Old 2004-11-07, 21:13   Link #7
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
Uhh there were more episodes "with the blood" and much more to it than the blood scenes, more well developed and great action scenes, imo, which is why I recommended it.
Begone, woman! This is a thread for men!

And as for naruto...

http://andrewlb.com/anime/naruto/TheRightThing.gif
Old 2004-11-07, 21:38   Link #8
mxg
The Lone Gamer

ahh well if u dont like naruto it is up to u but ...........there are alot of animes where the bithes take the lead now nowa days what everhappened to the cool looking dudes but not to sound sexist there really shoul;d be some ani,mes with females at the lead but the dudes shouldnt be left out
Old 2004-11-08, 02:51   Link #9
Retsoor

mxg: Hajime no Ippo is a well-done boxing anime.

PriestessKikyo: I watched the first episode of Kurogane a year back or so, and the combination of a hot poker + eyes was very tempting then. I'll quote myself "I'm tired of seeing angsty pre-teen girls who have problems with authorities", now substitute pre-teen with "short for his age". Anywho, my main gripe with these kind of series is that the main character's other testicle hasn't landed yet. Hijikata Toshizo(?) looked mildly interesting, but not enough.

AndrewLB: To this date I haven't seen anyone else who complimented Tekken but it's worth a shot. Maybe everyone else watched it expecting a "complicated plot" and/or "good character development". I have to admit though that the action is somewhat sub-par but I'll never forget that axe-part.

I've read Berserk and it's great. The best I've read to-date. Heh, maybe SF TV can wait for a while. That Fist of the North Star box seems all the more enticing now.

Forgot Uboujin(?) from Hunter x Hunter (even if he didn't get much airtime) and Kain "G" Phalanx from Shadow Skill TV.

Has anyone seen Saint Seiya? It looks interesting enough, notwithstanding their costumes.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that we (I) need more bearded characters.

Last edited by Retsoor; 2004-11-08 at 03:48.
Old 2004-11-08, 12:03   Link #10
AndrewLB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor
mxg: Hajime no Ippo is a well-done boxing anime.

PriestessKikyo: I watched the first episode of Kurogane a year back or so, and the combination of a hot poker + eyes was very tempting then. I'll quote myself "I'm tired of seeing angsty pre-teen girls who have problems with authorities", now substitute pre-teen with "short for his age". Anywho, my main gripe with these kind of series is that the main character's other testicle hasn't landed yet. Hijikata Toshizo(?) looked mildly interesting, but not enough.

AndrewLB: To this date I haven't seen anyone else who complimented Tekken but it's worth a shot. Maybe everyone else watched it expecting a "complicated plot" and/or "good character development". I have to admit though that the action is somewhat sub-par but I'll never forget that axe-part.

I've read Berserk and it's great. The best I've read to-date. Heh, maybe SF TV can wait for a while. That Fist of the North Star box seems all the more enticing now.

Forgot Uboujin(?) from Hunter x Hunter (even if he didn't get much airtime) and Kain "G" Phalanx from Shadow Skill TV.

Has anyone seen Saint Seiya? It looks interesting enough, notwithstanding their costumes.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that we (I) need more bearded characters.
Saint Seiya is great, but it was screwed over in the US. Thing's popular as hell in Europe though, if I recall. And yeah, HxH is great too.
Old 2004-11-08, 13:55   Link #11
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
Sain Seiya is my #2 SHounen series, second only to slam dunk.
Old 2004-11-08, 15:34   Link #12
mxg
The Lone Gamer

SWEET gaogaigear is really cool altho it is kinda like power rangers but the transformations are preety well done
Closed Thread