AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-08, 22:54   Link #1
moquif

Send a message via AIM to moquif Send a message via Yahoo to moquif
Dimensional Exiles

I'm looking for a good "dimensional exile" anime in the theme of El-Hazard and Those Who Hunt Elves. More the former than the latter. I liked the exotic setting, a mix of mature humor, and especially the existance of a plot. El-Hazard may be about 10 years old but it is still good. The lack of a "full-fledged harem" by the male lead adds depth and a removal of what has since been an anime cliche. There wasn't too much I didn't like about it.

Wish I could say what it is about the genre that I like. Ordinary people thrust into another world, looking for a way home or just simply trying to survive. It does not really matter if they make it back or make a new life for themselves, as long as it is a happy ending. I've read Princess of Mars, a book that is said to have inspired El-Hazard. It was a good book, but the hero was a bit too willing to kill to get what he wants. I'm not an "ends justifies the means" person.

I have most of what is out there, MKR, Himiko-den, 12 Kingdoms, Dual!, FFU, and a few others. I'm curious about any others out there, manga, fanfics, and so on. It's hard to find good anime like this. I'm honestly surprised there isn't more.

Thank you
Old 2004-11-09, 14:47   Link #2
Kaizoku Luffy

The Vision of Escaflowne is considered by many to be just about the best in its kind, although that probably has changed now Juuni Kokki is here

Anyway, it's a very good show in its genre, be sure to give it a try. Watch the tv-series before watching the movie, which is somewhat of an alternate retelling, but much more condensed and action-focused.
Old 2004-11-09, 22:55   Link #3
moquif

Send a message via AIM to moquif Send a message via Yahoo to moquif
thaklos, thanks I'll take what I can get. I'll watch the first episode and see how it is.

Kaizoku, I've seen Vision of Escaflowne, wasn't as fond of it. The mecha aspect, which I'd normally enjoy, didn't seem to fit right here. What is Junni Jokki though?
Old 2004-11-09, 23:20   Link #4
Sokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by moquif
thaklos, thanks I'll take what I can get. I'll watch the first episode and see how it is.

Kaizoku, I've seen Vision of Escaflowne, wasn't as fond of it. The mecha aspect, which I'd normally enjoy, didn't seem to fit right here. What is Junni Jokki though?
Juuni Kokki = 12 Kingdoms
Old 2004-11-10, 04:56   Link #5
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Now and Then, Here and There (Ima, Sokoni Iru Boku)

Short 13-episode series on dimensional exile of a more dramatic sort. Released by CPM in US. The boxset is SRP at $70 but you can get it well discounted from the usual web retailers.

p.s.
My avatar is Shu, the lead character from the series.
Old 2004-11-11, 00:07   Link #6
Aquillion

I suppose Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai sort of fits. Not everyone likes it, though. Every episode is a parody of a different genre, with the characters thrown into a new world each time. Some episodes are better than others. It's very funny at times, though, and manages decent drama when it bothers to try for it.

The good parts also prove that the people at Gainax are horrible underachievers who squander their talent 99% of the time, but you probably already knew that.
Closed Thread