AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Soul Eater

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-15, 06:02   Link #2001
Aiwatan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
The spoilers that were delivered had:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Of course I do, they were not fakes. You were talking as if it was everything wrong but it only lacks detail, what do you want a word for word transcription?

And first, before judging the content judge the source, they were the opinion of a girl who readed the chapter, they were not meant to be spoilers, and be sure that girl didn't wrote those to have western fans knowing about the chapter until the raw comes out. And that was stated by the one who did the translation.
Aiwatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 06:41   Link #2002
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
^
Spoiler for spoiler:
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 06:46   Link #2003
Aiwatan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
^
Spoiler for spoiler:
But then again, the reviews are meant to be the artist thoughts not spoilers for people overseas.

Spoiler:
Aiwatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 08:42   Link #2004
GlassesLady
dat apple
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I'm aliens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwatan View Post
But then again, the reviews are meant to be the artist thoughts not spoilers for people overseas.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
Let me show you my Pokemans.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 15:52   Link #2005
nenena2
new account
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
The spoilers that were delivered had:

Spoiler for spoiler:
LOL, what Aiwatan said.

I translated a blog entry about the chapter made by a Japanese blogger. I stated multiple times in that entry that a) I hadn't seen the chapter myself and b) everything written in the Japanese blogger's entry should be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, there was nothing inaccurate about what the blogger said. It just lacked detail.

I guess maybe I should have posted those disclaimers in +15 size sparkly text so that people wouldn't keep, you know, missing them?

To GlassesLady: No, Marie's not dead.
nenena2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 16:53   Link #2006
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenena2 View Post
LOL, what Aiwatan said.

I translated a blog entry about the chapter made by a Japanese blogger. I stated multiple times in that entry that a) I hadn't seen the chapter myself and b) everything written in the Japanese blogger's entry should be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, there was nothing inaccurate about what the blogger said. It just lacked detail.

I guess maybe I should have posted those disclaimers in +15 size sparkly text so that people wouldn't keep, you know, missing them?

To GlassesLady: No, Marie's not dead.
Spoiler for spoiler:


Was the message too long?
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 20:58   Link #2007
nenena2
new account
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
So no, the author didn't become dumb all of a sudden.
Of course not. He was dumb from the beginning. And that is exactly what makes Soul Eater entertaining and fun to read.

I disagree vehemently that having hints or foreshadowing of things to come takes "master level" writing skills. Authors of serial media are quite capable of merely changing their plots as they write them, or revising future events to retcon foreshadowing that they might have intended to mean something else originally. That, and just because a plot has been built up for some time doesn't mean that it can't be piss-poorly executed in the end.

But then again I get the impression from your posts that we have very, very different opinions on the relative merit of Soul Eater to begin with, so I won't start an argument about it. To me, it's just a fun manga series that I like to mock on my blog. Occassionally it has moments of surprising depth and awesomeness, but mostly it's just stupid, mockable fun.

For the record, though, please don't call me "girl", okay?
nenena2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 23:43   Link #2008
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenena2 View Post
Of course not. He was dumb from the beginning. And that is exactly what makes Soul Eater entertaining and fun to read.

I disagree vehemently that having hints or foreshadowing of things to come takes "master level" writing skills. Authors of serial media are quite capable of merely changing their plots as they write them, or revising future events to retcon foreshadowing that they might have intended to mean something else originally. That, and just because a plot has been built up for some time doesn't mean that it can't be piss-poorly executed in the end.

But then again I get the impression from your posts that we have very, very different opinions on the relative merit of Soul Eater to begin with, so I won't start an argument about it. To me, it's just a fun manga series that I like to mock on my blog. Occassionally it has moments of surprising depth and awesomeness, but mostly it's just stupid, mockable fun.

For the record, though, please don't call me "girl", okay?
Argh. Sorry miss, but personally I cannot stand people who claim to follow an anime or manga because it is purportedly 'stupid' or 'mockably fun'. However much such people may claim to be a fan of a series, frankly such a position inevitably manifests itself in a vested interest in seeing the series do poorly, so that in the end their ridicule is validated and accepted as the popular consensus. Is Soul Eater really piss-poorly executed? Or does it only seem that way because you are purposely looking every chapter for things you can tear down and make fun of, in order to maintain your attitude of looking down on it from a superior position? From my perspective, the insistently negative tone of your 'impressions' from that blog post linked here earlier based on the vague/incomplete spoilers of a Japanese reader was entirely stretching it. The outrage/disappointment which you generated in just as clueless (in terms of not having seen the chapter yet) fellow Soul Eater readers can't have been constructive for anybody.

Frankly, I personally have never understood the appeal of looking for 'spoilers' or untranslated (to a language one can comprehend) material in the first place. Following and being a fan of a series should be about trying to appreciate it on its own terms, and only people who have an ulterior motive in pushing their own interpretations would show such urgency about finding out 'what happens' before that is possible. However 'ridiculous' developments might seem, not even waiting to fully comprehend a chapter/episode before jumping on the ridicule bandwagon is not even giving the series a chance. It is an entirely unconstructive manner of watching/following anime/manga, in my opinion.

I didn't want to say it out loud earlier, but honestly I shared Kurusu's earlier sentiment about not wanting to see your blog posts linked to this thread because anybody with such strong preconceived notions about what was 'good' and what 'should happen' could only inevitably be disappointed and ruin the enjoyment of other readers of this manga. For my part, Soul Eater being a shounen series, I have always thought it was obvious that aside from the main meister combination of Soul/Maka, the other main characters were Kid and Black Star, not their weapons. My own favourite character being Tsubaki, it is not as if I have not been feeling the disappointment of side character neglect but nonetheless, the reality of who and what Ohkubo has focused his development on allows me to accept it as perfectly valid and natural that not only was Black Star the one destined to rescue Kid, but that he would even go so far as to do it without bringing along Tsubaki. That Liz and Patty (judging from the spoilers I have now been exposed to) received more character development than plot relevance/action in this arc is not really a sign of bad writing; it's a sign of the author keeping his focus.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 00:17   Link #2009
Lelouch Tatsumi
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winthrop, MA
Send a message via AIM to Lelouch Tatsumi Send a message via MSN to Lelouch Tatsumi Send a message via Skype™ to Lelouch Tatsumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
So no, the author didn't become dumb all of a sudden
The dude cut himself 'cause he didn't know the color of blood. Sometime in his life, he must've slipped off the smart end.
Lelouch Tatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 00:27   Link #2010
nenena2
new account
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Argh. Sorry miss, but personally I cannot stand people who claim to follow an anime or manga because it is purportedly 'stupid' or 'mockably fun'. However much such people may claim to be a fan of a series, frankly such a position inevitably manifests itself in a vested interest in seeing the series do poorly, so that in the end their ridicule is validated and accepted as the popular consensus.
LOL what? You think I want Soul Eater to do poorly?!

You don't read many blogs, do you? I think you're taking waaaaaay too much offense at the fact that some people enjoy making fun of a series that you apparently hold in high regard.

Just because things are linked here doesn't mean that you have to read them.

Quote:
The outrage/disappointment which you generated in just as clueless (in terms of not having seen the chapter yet) fellow Soul Eater readers can't have been constructive for anybody.
It was constructive for the people who wanted to be spoiled and who thanked me for it. It was constructive for those of us who had fun joking about the spoilers on my blog post. Look, some of us enjoy this series as a silly kiddie manga, and enjoy taking it seriously on the level of a kiddie manga while at the same time being able to enjoy poking fun at all of the elements of it that are silly/weird/frustrating or just plain off-the-wall. If all you saw being expressed was literal "outrage" then I think that your sarcasm meter is probably broken. You clearly engage with your manga in a different way, and that's cool, but at the same time you can't dismiss the way that other fans engage in this fandom as "not constructive" just because you don't understand it.

Quote:
Frankly, I personally have never understood the appeal of looking for 'spoilers' or untranslated (to a language one can comprehend) material in the first place.
Well, at least you admit that you don't understand!

As for the rest of your post, well. I'm kind of amazed that you would argue that a person expressing opinions about what makes "good" writing or how a story "should" end would actually ruin the enjoyment of the manga for you. Isn't that exactly what y'all are regularly doing in the discussions on this thread, anyway? (And you guys are addressing these questions so much more seriously than I am, too!) And heck, I didn't even participate in this thread until now - I kept all of my own opinions on my own blog, where nobody was forcing you to read them!

I hope that you can at least appreciate the irony of accusing me of "looking down from a position of superiority" while at the same time you're the one kvetching about what makes one a TRUE FAN of a series or not. Again: There's a pretty large Soul Eater fandom community outside of this discussion board that engages with the source text from a "we mock because we love" perspective, and if you don't understand that perspective, that's okay, but it certainly doesn't give you the right to dismiss a huge segment of the fandom as "not constructive" or whatever just because they don't share your perspective on the text.
nenena2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 02:15   Link #2011
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenena2 View Post
LOL what? You think I want Soul Eater to do poorly?!

You don't read many blogs, do you? I think you're taking waaaaaay too much offense at the fact that some people enjoy making fun of a series that you apparently hold in high regard.

Just because things are linked here doesn't mean that you have to read them.
You described Soul Eater as a manga which might be 'piss-poorly executed' and call it 'mockably dumb', also going as far as to insult the author. It is not that I think Ohkubo is a genius, or that Soul Eater is a masterpiece, but these are simply not really the words of someone who is trying to respect Soul Eater on any level. You might claim that you are a fan of this manga because it is a 'loveable joke', but while Soul Eater certainly engages in dumb shit and whackiness, a joke is not all it is trying to be. Your 'Soul Eater is unintentionally "funny", and I love it for that' stance manifests itself in attempting to ridicule and make a joke of even serious or passably-executed segments, painful moments which come off more as desperate self-justification than 'having fun' to me.

Quote:
It was constructive for the people who wanted to be spoiled and who thanked me for it. It was constructive for those of us who had fun joking about the spoilers on my blog post. Look, some of us enjoy this series as a silly kiddie manga, and enjoy taking it seriously on the level of a kiddie manga while at the same time being able to enjoy poking fun at all of the elements of it that are silly/weird/frustrating or just plain off-the-wall. If all you saw being expressed was literal "outrage" then I think that your sarcasm meter is probably broken. You clearly engage with your manga in a different way, and that's cool, but at the same time you can't dismiss the way that other fans engage in this fandom as "not constructive" just because you don't understand it.
Is it really about 'enjoying' poking fun at a 'silly kiddie manga'? Or rather is it some internal discomfort at the idea of actually being able to enjoy a 'silly kiddie manga', emerging in an attitude where you purposely try to put it down, in order to demonstrate that you are superior to it? The 'silly/weird/frustrating elements' of the manga, as you call them, are not really all that bad. Hell, I hardly know what kind of things you are talking about. They are probably in fact generally in line with their intended audience, or their author's intended vision, which it is up to his own discretion to choose. However, since you, despite apparently not being in that audience, somehow managed to get roped into following this 'silly kiddie manga' due perhaps to other extraordinary aspects of it, you appear to be justifying to yourself that those elements are in fact objectively bad, and that you are only tolerating it because you find it 'funny'.

Soul Eater is not a 'piss-poorly executed silly kiddie manga'. For what it is trying to be, it is in fact a very solidly executed shounen manga. Being a shounen manga, there are certain quirks and aspects of it which it follows because they are conventions of the genre. Rather than ridiculing them and calling them bad, you should simply understand that they aren't for you and move on from them.

Quote:
Well, at least you admit that you don't understand!

As for the rest of your post, well. I'm kind of amazed that you would argue that a person expressing opinions about what makes "good" writing or how a story "should" end would actually ruin the enjoyment of the manga for you. Isn't that exactly what y'all are regularly doing in the discussions on this thread, anyway? (And you guys are addressing these questions so much more seriously than I am, too!) And heck, I didn't even participate in this thread until now - I kept all of my own opinions on my own blog, where nobody was forcing you to read them!

I hope that you can at least appreciate the irony of accusing me of "looking down from a position of superiority" while at the same time you're the one kvetching about what makes one a TRUE FAN of a series or not. Again: There's a pretty large Soul Eater fandom community outside of this discussion board that engages with the source text from a "we mock because we love" perspective, and if you don't understand that perspective, that's okay, but it certainly doesn't give you the right to dismiss a huge segment of the fandom as "not constructive" or whatever just because they don't share your perspective on the text.
It is indeed true that, in speaking out like this, I have also adopted a stance of 'looking down from a position of superiority'. So allow me to take a step back for a moment. I don't have a problem with you interacting with the Soul Eater community in your way on that blog. What I was unsatisfied with was those negative, incomplete impressions making their way over here to this thread, where a number of fans including myself are still trying to enjoy and discuss Soul Eater on the level of what it is. I held back from echoing Kurusu's initial statement of displeasure out of respect for you and other fans; however I really don't wish to see this thread become filled with the sort of discussion you are evocating there. While it would of course be very difficult for other people's negative impressions to ruin my enjoyment of the manga itself, what they can do is stifle any sort of other positive/appreciative discussion which might be generated (that sort of thing certainly doesn't seem like it will be happening on your blog). Of course, there is nothing I can really do if other members of this forum want to bring it here, or if you yourself register and begin posting. This was simply my attempt to get my opinion out there.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-10-16 at 02:30.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 04:21   Link #2012
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
^Leave it, her way of enjoying is different from us, so respect that.

It's the craziness and the crassness what makes of it one of the most entertaining enjoyable and best manga there are currently. If it lacked one of these two traits it wouldn't be Soul Eater.

Now get back on topic,
Spoiler for spoiler:
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 04:42   Link #2013
nenena2
new account
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Being a shounen manga, there are certain quirks and aspects of it which it follows because they are conventions of the genre. Rather than ridiculing them and calling them bad, you should simply understand that they aren't for you and move on from them.
A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA so I'm only making fun of it because I don't understaaaaaaand the conventions of shounen manga.

I don't know what to say to that other than to point out that I've been reading shounen manga for over fifteen years now - and mostly in its original Japanese, too - and IRL I've written several serious academic papers (one published and another submitted for publication right now) about the stylistic conventions of several manga categories, including shounen. So trust me, I understand the conventions of the genre.

If you're not trying to argue with me then you're doing an awfully good job of passively-agressively insulting me while doing so.

Being a livejournal recapper, there are certain quirks and aspects of my recapping that follow because they are conventions of a genre. Rather than ridiculing my blogging and calling it bad, you should simply understand that it isn't for you and move on. :P

Quote:
what they can do is stifle any sort of other positive/appreciative discussion which might be generated (that sort of thing certainly doesn't seem like it will be happening on your blog).
LOL there you go again. Broken sarcasm meter + over one hundred positive comments on every one of my posts that would beg to differ = whatever, dude. Again, you already admitted that you don't understand it. So quite knockin' it. Apparently you can't recognize fun when other people are having it, so quit complaining about it.

Quote:
This was simply my attempt to get my opinion out there.
Your opinion has been duly noted. Now I suggest that you drop the subject, because I would certainly love to.

Last edited by nenena2; 2010-10-16 at 04:59.
nenena2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 06:59   Link #2014
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Because I'm a sore loser and do have a history of passive-aggressively engaging people, allow me to indulge in one more post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenena2 View Post
A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA so I'm only making fun of it because I don't understaaaaaaand the conventions of shounen manga.

I don't know what to say to that other than to point out that I've been reading shounen manga for over fifteen years now - and mostly in its original Japanese, too - and IRL I've written several serious academic papers (one published and another submitted for publication right now) about the stylistic conventions of several manga categories, including shounen. So trust me, I understand the conventions of the genre.

If you're not trying to argue with me then you're doing an awfully good job of passively-agressively insulting me while doing so.

Being a livejournal recapper, there are certain quirks and aspects of my recapping that follow because they are conventions of a genre. Rather than ridiculing my blogging and calling it bad, you should simply understand that it isn't for you and move on. :P
I didn't say you don't understand the conventions of shounen manga; I said you don't understand that they're not for you. You deal with that by making jokes and ridiculing things in ways that are not really all that true or funny. As far as moving on on my end, there's not much more to do; I read a summary or two from your blog some months ago upon seeing them being linked here, decided they weren't for me, and haven't looked back since.

Quote:
LOL there you go again. Broken sarcasm meter + over one hundred positive comments on every one of my posts that would beg to differ = whatever, dude. Again, you already admitted that you don't understand it. So quite knockin' it. Apparently you can't recognize fun when other people are having it, so quit complaining about it.
Sarcasm != having fun in all or even most cases. I perceive that the manga is good enough on its own, but your sort of 'added value' commentary screams of dissatisfaction to me. I've never had anything against you or others doing whatever you want to get something out of the content, but I really have no interest in seeing that sort of stuff in this thread.

Quote:
Your opinion has been duly noted. Now I suggest that you drop the subject, because I would certainly love to.
This was the last post, promise. My bad for writing it in the first place, but I'm really just no good at being a bigger person.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 07:22   Link #2015
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
^Hey, leave her do whatever she prefer. If she wants to keep mocking anything only for the sake of entertain the few who read these recaps, let her be. What amuses me is why she keeps reading it if she thinks it's that bad, seriously.

That said, mocking absurdly one of the best manga that are currently being published is kind of idiotic if you ask me, but let her be...

Last edited by K. Shiruto; 2010-10-16 at 07:42.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 07:50   Link #2016
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
I really don't wish to see this thread become filled with the sort of discussion you are evocating there.
This! And I know I have said it before but... This is excactly why I shouldn't stroll into this tread before the actual English scanlations of the chapter are available.
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 08:48   Link #2017
Aiwatan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
For God sake I can't believe I'm reading such an amount of nonsense.

So now if you like a series you don't read spoilers? if you like a series you can't say a single bad thing about it or the author? you can't have fun with it? Whoa, thanks, I lived in a lie for so long.

I can tell one thing, Soul Eater is my favourite manga, in fact is the ONLY manga I currently read. And because I love the series so much if the author does something out of the blue or lame I'm going to complain, because I want it to be good not bad.
I read spoilers because I can't wait to know what is next, I wait eagerly for each month 11th.

Of course if he does something epic I will say it too. And since you insist in how nenena critizises the manga she also has praised it when it's good, you are only reading what you want, right? talking about giving opinions without having reading the whole thing, are we?

And shonen rules? You so much love Ohkubo, he actually detest the shonens which follow those rules, he himself say.

The fun is nenena was called a fangirl, when the fangirl are you, idolizing an author and refusing to see anything wrong there may be. And even more, for the wrong reasons. Ohkubo main aim is not to do a shonen following the shonen rules, neither to make a serious story but a fun one, he stated those himself, now go you and contradict the creator.

"the few who read these recaps"

Those few happens to be way more than the 4 people on this forum, I'm sure even more than the whole people discussing the chapter in the whole internet.
Aiwatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 09:01   Link #2018
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
There's only something I learned. A manga without flaws doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwatan View Post
I can tell one thing, Soul Eater is my favourite manga, in fact is the ONLY manga I currently read. And because I love the series so much if the author does something out of the blue or lame I'm going to complain, because I want it to be good not bad.
Same here, Soul Eater is one of my top manga but, aren't all the authors pretty much the same? Don't they do sometimes things we might not like? Do the things we think Ohkubo could be doing wrong decrease the quality of the work? NO, as long as it keeps its consistency. So, what are we discussing for then?
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 14:46   Link #2019
nenena2
new account
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Because I'm a sore loser and do have a history of passive-aggressively engaging people, allow me to indulge in one more post.
I'm gonna hold you to that promise of making no more posts about the matter.

Because let's review what just happened in this thread: I was linked here because _kurusu_ was complaining about my spoilers not being detailed enough and had misunderstood the source of the spoilers; I only showed up to clarify the factual misconception (that I could only translate what was provided by the blogger that I quoted, lack of detail be damned). Notice how I never commented about _kurusu_'s earlier post that said something less-than-nice about my blog. Because it didn't matter - I can't force anybody to like my blogging and everybody's entitled to their own opinion about it - and it's water under the bridge anyway, because _kurusu_ apologized for it. Which was the mature thing to do.

It would have ended there. Like I stated, I wasn't here to start an argument. I had no more business in this thread once that fact was cleared up.

But then you showed up out of the blue and posted over a thousand words of ranting and insults. You made your opinion incredibly personal and insulting, stating that I wasn't a true fan of the series, that I wanted it to do poorly, that I was insecure about enjoying it (still LOLing over the insanity of that one), that anybody who read or gave spoilers wasn't a true fan of the series, that I was ruining the series for you, that I just didn't understand shounen manga tropes, that I wasn't being a fan in a "constructive" way, that my enjoyment of the series is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

You complain about other people, I dunno, having fun in a way that you don't approve of and therefore somehow ruining the fandom or whatever, yet you're the one flinging the poo and pissing on the parade here. Notice how I never once insulted your reading of the series, your high regard for Ohkubo, or your preferred way of engaging in fannish discussions. Yet YOU still feel the need to come back and hurl more insults at me, such as:

Quote:
I didn't say you don't understand the conventions of shounen manga; I said you don't understand that they're not for you.
I mean, holy SHIT. You do not have the right to declare what forms of popular media are "for" somebody or not. If I enjoy reading Soul Eater then I enjoy reading Soul Eater, whether you approve of my enjoyment or not.

Quote:
You deal with that by making jokes and ridiculing things in ways that are not really all that true or funny.
Humor isn't universal. It never is. You have no more right to declare that something is "not funny" than I do to declare that my writing is universally "funny." But I will say that I've gotten hundreds of comments on my recap posts saying that I'm funny, so there's that. Again, this doesn't prove that everybody should think that my posts are funny because humor doesn't work that way; it does mean, however, that you can't make an absolute statement declaring that my writing isn't funny or enjoyable just because you don't find it funny or enjoyable, when so many other people clearly do!

And again, the asinine assumption that I'm only making fun of something because I don't understaaaaaand it is still dripping from your argument. ("You deal with that by..." Your own words.)

Quote:
As far as moving on on my end, there's not much more to do; I read a summary or two from your blog some months ago upon seeing them being linked here, decided they weren't for me, and haven't looked back since.
Until you decided to post over a thousand words of personal insults and rants about me to this forum. Without any provocation on my part. Moving on: UR DOIN IT WRONG.

I suggest that you start doing it the right way, and now.

Quote:
Sarcasm != having fun in all or even most cases.
Again, who in the flipping fuckity hell died and gave you the right to declare what is and isn't fun for other people?!

Quote:
I've never had anything against you or others doing whatever you want to get something out of the content,
Except for the part where you declared that we weren't real fans, that we weren't being "constructive," and that we were ruining the fandom. Your own words.

At least own up to what you're really arguing here. Or do the right thing and drop the subject. Or better yet, do both.

I reserve the right to make a public defense of myself when I am publicly insulted. Which is why I'm still replying here. But you're the one who started it, and you're the one who has the power to end it: If you have more to say to me, then take it to PM. I don't think that anybody in this thread wants to read any more of this argument. Or actually be the bigger person and drop the subject. You said that you weren't good at that, but maybe now is the time to start improving.
nenena2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 15:19   Link #2020
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Please can't this senseless argument just stop? Can't we all agree to disagree, call it a day and happily talk about a manga we all enjoy albeit for different reasons and in different ways?

(I wish this forum had an option to ignore certain posts or users)
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.