AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-11-09, 23:45   Link #1
ForceFreedom

[SEED/GSD]Just a thought about Phase Shift

After reading around and having my own " Eternal is PINK?" moment, I suddenly had the thought that the color that a MS, ship, GENESIS, etc. takes on when it activates Phase Shift armor might be customizable.
Completely useless speculation, I know, but it's still kinda cool to think about.
ForceFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 23:50   Link #2
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Well, just look at Impulse: its main torso changes color according to which pack it is using; this will probably raise hell for Gundam model painters!
Old 2004-11-10, 03:43   Link #3
tyranimo
Sue me, Why don't you?

Send a message via AIM to tyranimo
Well, yeah, maybe it's according to the captain's personality?

Look at all of Athrun's gundams.

Aegis, Justice and the upcoming Saviour, All red, RED!

then Kira?

Strike and Freedom -> All blue white and red!

-

About Eternal, i don't think it has phase shift. i think the pink was Lucas' request. You know, fluffy colours? ^^

Then all those baddies' ships were dark colours, symbolising evil. mwhahha. The Dominion anyone?

Well, I just find it weird, i could be plainly coincidental, but why are ALL, i mean -ALL- of Athrun's gundams red?
tyranimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 04:52   Link #4
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Send a message via AIM to [UKE]Auel Send a message via MSN to [UKE]Auel
I don't think Lacus really requested the Eternal be pink. I think it's more like it was pink already and they STOLE it. And hell, if there's pink explosions, why can't there be pink ships *coughandmobilesuitscoughCagallicough*
[UKE]Auel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 17:12   Link #5
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo
Well, yeah, maybe it's according to the captain's personality?

Look at all of Athrun's gundams.

Aegis, Justice and the upcoming Saviour, All red, RED!

then Kira?

Strike and Freedom -> All blue white and red!
If you realize something like that, properly you will know some protagonists' moblie suit in Gundam series are all red, white, and blue.
Some Examples: Strike, impulse, God ( Buring Gundam in USA), Shining Gundam, X, Z, Gundam (RX 78), Gundam Wing, Gundam Wing Zero and.........

Moreover, The moblie suit or Gundam' s colour always relates to the pilot like Dearka's Buster (yellow hair matchs to Buster's yellow), Shan's Forbidden (green hair to green "backpack"), String's Chao ( green hair to Chao's main colour: GREEN), Auel's Abyss (blue hair to blue) and others (too many to mention)

Minvera's colour and design are similarly to Archangel's. When I look at Minvera, I think Minvera suppose to be Earth Alliance side because they are alike. Only thing they are same is that both are in protagonist's side. In addition, I think Strike and Impulse are "brother" when I look at both design. In fact, there is no correction to Strike and Impulse in story. That might be all designs coming from a same designer.
K'9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 19:25   Link #6
omegastar

Quote:
Well, I just find it weird, i could be plainly coincidental, but why are ALL, i mean -ALL- of Athrun's gundams red?
Aegis was more of a pink/magenta colour.

Justice was more of a Dark magenta colour.

And Saviour will be a genuinely reddish colour.
omegastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 10:30   Link #7
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegastar
Aegis was more of a pink/magenta colour.

Justice was more of a Dark magenta colour.

And Saviour will be a genuinely reddish colour.
I'm trying my best to resist making any "Red VS Blue" Donut jokes....

Think whoever designed the suits in the series also programmed in the colors for the phase shift armor. I fail to see the practical reasons for doing the armor like that though. You'd think they'd just paint the suits to match the desired colors and be done with it. Makes more sense than armor that alerts the enemy when it's gone by painting you a "bullseye" gray.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 11:44   Link #8
F!reStr!fe
Unlimited Blade Works...

Send a message via AIM to F!reStr!fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
I'm trying my best to resist making any "Red VS Blue" Donut jokes....

Think whoever designed the suits in the series also programmed in the colors for the phase shift armor. I fail to see the practical reasons for doing the armor like that though. You'd think they'd just paint the suits to match the desired colors and be done with it. Makes more sense than armor that alerts the enemy when it's gone by painting you a "bullseye" gray.
LOL u watch Red VS Blue lol i love that man its hilarious

but on topic Colors are just colors what can u say if they would have been practical they would have colored all of them to match the surroundings and camoflauge colors. because ure gonna use pink in a fight.... like you wont be noticeable or something come on. colors are just representations of who is "good" or who is who in the gundam.

RvB: "It's not Pink!, Its Light Red!"

My Current Animes: Welcome to the NHK, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Coyote Ragtime Show, Bokura Ga Ita, .hack//roots
F!reStr!fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 11:47   Link #9
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo
Then all those baddies' ships were dark colours, symbolising evil. mwhahha. The Dominion anyone?

If you want to be realistic, Dark colors in space is common sense.

Having a dark ship in space is almost like having a visual cloak, Only way anyone can really tell your there is if you move between them and an object, such as the moon or earth.

Dark Ships = Common Sense for space battle cruisers
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 23:29   Link #10
omegastar

Quote:
LOL u watch Red VS Blue lol i love that man its hilarious

but on topic Colors are just colors what can u say if they would have been practical they would have colored all of them to match the surroundings and camoflauge colors. because ure gonna use pink in a fight.... like you wont be noticeable or something come on. colors are just representations of who is "good" or who is who in the gundam.
I was just pointing out details; Anyway, it's not likely that the color of the armor is defined by the phase shift programming or something like that. It would make sense that the armor is made of a material that shows a specific color when supplied with energy (any other idea about how battery power can make armor stronger?). In impulse's case, it must be that the different packs balance Impulse's stats in order to achieve efficiency, and thus we get different colors (it would be normal that a melee MS had thicker armor, while an aerial MS were more agile).

As for the colors... it's just for show. Would you like GSD with every MS painted the same or grey? lol...

In any case, think that it's animation. Not the smallest detail has to have some explanation.
omegastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 09:41   Link #11
Tupsumato

According to a book I read some time ago, back in WW1 the pilots got their planes painted in camouflage colours, but wanted them to be repainted in their "own" colours, such as red, green, yellow, because they thought, that using camouflage would be sort of cowardliness; a good pilot doesn't have to hide himself.

Though in G(S(D)) the Gundam pilots didn't get a chance to change the colour of their suits, could the reason be (almost) the same? Like, "We have this brand new kickass suit/ship/whatever that beats everyone. Why would we want to hide it?"
Tupsumato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 10:53   Link #12
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ That's what happened in Z Gundam if I remember correctly.

The new Hyaku Shiki was painted gold because AEUG was basically saying "I got a sweet-as MS here and you cant do anything :fingers: " to Titans.
Old 2004-11-20, 11:49   Link #13
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli
^ That's what happened in Z Gundam if I remember correctly.

The new Hyaku Shiki was painted gold because AEUG was basically saying "I got a sweet-as MS here and you cant do anything :fingers: " to Titans.
Yup, the gold paint job was definitely a taunt; I'm also guessing AEUG secretly hoped the enemies would waste their effort and mainly go after Char's unit (which cannot be shot down unless by Amuro or in the final episode).

I recall it was also supposed to have some anti-beam purpose too, but it definitely didn't work against Quebley...
Old 2004-11-21, 05:44   Link #14
Zero Murasame
Me+AK-74= UNSTOPPABLE

If only my Ball (buster rifle custom) had phase shift.......It would be maroon.
Zero Murasame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 06:41   Link #15
Esper 28
Akira

Speaking strictly technical, I think the color scheme gets programmed into the Phase Shift. I mean, I don't think there's been any technical data as to how Phase Shift actually works so everyone has to speculate...

But chances are, the colors are pre-programmed and can be altered. To explain Impulse's changing torso with changing back-packs: it probably just changes because it registers the back-pack. Just a fancy feature to make it look spiffy. Could also be a way for friendly units to identify with what pack the Impulse is using...if the giant gun or enormous swords weren't clue enough, lol.

But yeah, I truly believe that the color schemes are programmable and by result, changeable. But it just so works out that everyone likes their mechs color scheme, lol.

Or I could be wrong and the color scheme is determined when the Phase Shift is installed and isn't changeable because we haven't seen it happen so far in any of the series, I don't think.

But if you wanna look at things from "it's just an anime" point of view, then Athrun's mechs are red so you know its him. People with blue hair get blue mechs. People with red hair get red mechs...it's really an ingenius system. (No, not really.)
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 12:54   Link #16
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
I actually had a question about phase shift. Aparently, it only protects from physical explosions and bullets. But not against beam weapons. If GENESIS had phase shift, how did it survive that attack from the Eternal and Kusanagi? That was two lohengrins and 3 gotfried cannons all at once. And it didn't get scratched?

The only thing that protects against that is anti-beam coating right? If they could get that much anti-beam coating around GENESIS, might as well just making a fleet of invincible mobile suits right?
kikko_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:13   Link #17
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, supposedly nothing protects against Lohengrins, positron blaster cannon penetrates anything and everything. But neither Eternal nor Kusanagi has Lohengrin or any positron blaster weapon.

For beam weapons, all ZAFT battleships use armors similar to anti-beam coating technology.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:45   Link #18
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, supposedly nothing protects against Lohengrins, positron blaster cannon penetrates anything and everything. But neither Eternal nor Kusanagi has Lohengrin or any positron blaster weapon.

For beam weapons, all ZAFT battleships use armors similar to anti-beam coating technology.
I'm pretty sure Kusanagi had a Lohengrin cannon. I'll check again for episode and time frame. But I'm pretty sure they did.
kikko_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:45   Link #19
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Kusanagi has Lohengrin cannons on each side, since Captain K (what's his full name) yells "Lohengrin, FIRE!" and... Well, the Lohengrin's fire.

Eternal only has missiles, CIWS and one beam turret though.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:57   Link #20
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

A wild idea, but maybe since Genesis is so big and had it's own reactor, it's phase shift was probably extremely strong, and could resist Lohengrin attacks. Which leads to the equally important question, how did Athrun shoot open that hatch with Justice to get inside genesis?
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote