AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-12-19, 15:03   Link #21
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

In regards to GENESIS shrugging off the Lohengrin. I don't think size has anything to do with. Lohengrin is a positron blast cannon. Positrons are essentially antimatter [why do you think that Archangel never fired Lohengrin on Earth]. In theory, positrons are supposed to be able to destroy anything, however it did nothing to GENESIS. The possible answer, and this mainly is Mark Simmons idea, is that the magnetic field around GENESIS protecting it. Mirage Colloid needs a magnetic field in order to hold the particulate gas to the surface of the suit or ship it is cloaking. So it's possibl that there was a reacion between the magnetic field and the positrons that pretty much stopped Lohengrin. Wether this effect was known to the designers of GENESIS isn't known so I couldn't say if it's an intentional feature.

On another note, it may provide an explanation how Mwu survived so long against Dominion's blast. As stated Mirage Colloid uses a magnetic field to hold the colloid particles to the suit's surface. Beam weapons also use a magnetic field to hold the beam energy in shape. Now an anti beam coating is probably a kind of magnetic treating for the shield so that they can take beam hits more efficiently. If that is the case, combined with the above scenario, there is a quasi logical explanation on how a mobile suit could defend against an anti matter cannon, at least for a little bit. I would suggest taking this with a bit of salt though. We all know the reason Mwu stopped the shot is to build the drama.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 15:12   Link #22
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
Wow...good explanation. Never thought of that... anyway on a lighter note,

Spoiler:
kikko_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 15:57   Link #23
Dark Crusader

I have a question was phase shift armor actually mass produced (in Gundam Seed)? If not how come? In the original UC timelines it was because the ore needed to produce Gundanium was incredibly scarce I also believe it was found out near Jupiter along with the Minosky (spelt wrong) particles. But I'd have to go back and check the Gundam Tech Manuals to be sure.
Dark Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 20:44   Link #24
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Crusader
I have a question was phase shift armor actually mass produced (in Gundam Seed)? If not how come? In the original UC timelines it was because the ore needed to produce Gundanium was incredibly scarce I also believe it was found out near Jupiter along with the Minosky (spelt wrong) particles. But I'd have to go back and check the Gundam Tech Manuals to be sure.

PS armor was not mass produced in GS.. it was only installed on gundams as a fancy anti-solid projectile shield (not to mention PS is the only thing that gives the gundams their colours).. if i am not mistaken PS armor sux up battery like mad , therefore dramatically limiting the operation time of the unit.. it was also somwhat expensive to construct and install and is unable to protect the unit against beam weapons (which proves to be a big disadvantage).. so i guess they were only reserved for gundams.. however don't take my word for it cuz i've never paid much attention to the technical aspects of the show so i could be completely wrong here..
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 21:20   Link #25
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Crusader
Phase shift was rather impractical for mass production for the reasons stated in the last post. I think most of the mass production suits use either laminate armor, which has higher beam resistance, or they used some form of high tensile metal most likely being steel.

Minovsky particles were discovered on Earth by Dr. Minovsky. They are not the least bit rare and in fact can be artificialy created [Minovsky craft system, minovsky emitter, etc.]. Furthermore, Minovsky particles have nothing to do with the suit's armor. Minovsky particles allow for the existance of the Minovsky-Ionesco compact reactor that powers mobile suits and mobile armors. Luna Titanium is the armor that is first used on the V-Project suits, it's later renamed to Gundarium. It's not a rare metal, per se, but I think it has to be manufactured in space. Later a lighter weight Gundarium Gamma is made and is used on virtuly every suit post Grypps Conflict.

Gundanium is the armor used on the gundams in Wing. Also needs to be produced in space. It's use is limited to the Gundams, Mercurius, Vayeate, and the Virgo models.

Last edited by Scherazade; 2004-12-20 at 03:58.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 22:41   Link #26
Rei_Ikari
More....Morrreee....weeee

as a side note....did the producers really come up with a Physic textbook to explain every phenomenom in the Gundam world? Hello.....Gundam Seed was targeted at kids who have only "begun" to understand the concept of friendship...let alone quantum physics...heck...i haven't ever started studying that yet...^^

as for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neaco
A wild idea, but maybe since Genesis is so big and had it's own reactor, it's phase shift was probably extremely strong, and could resist Lohengrin attacks. Which leads to the equally important question, how did Athrun shoot open that hatch with Justice to get inside genesis
When i was the anime shop near my house, the shopkeeper happened to be showing the ep of GS and there was this small crowd of kids staring at it, and at that scene the only reaction they had was "yay!!!!Justice!!!" almost makes u think they were watchig Power Rangers

So cool it....think too much about the minor plot holes and you're find yourself with some holes in your head soon...seriously
Dreaming that Kira flies in on Freedom, Meteorizes Shinn just enought to teach him what it takes to be a protagonist, rams those nukes Jibrill and the EA bastards like so much into their throat. Oh....and seeing that Lacus clone taking a blast of Lacus Haro atack.
*Wakes up* Damn....Why did i wake up
Rei_Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 19:58   Link #27
2Die4
Mr. Pedolicon

Location: No 1746 Ecchi Street, Postcode 1337, Kingdom Of Hentai.
Then What About Trans Phase Shift Armor????.... From What i Saw It looked Nice to See The beam got Deflected. Is PS and TPS Equally matched or is Ps armor inferior to TPS armor???
Old 2004-12-21, 20:25   Link #28
Raxtenko
Second Generation McJober

Send a message via MSN to Raxtenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Die4
Then What About Trans Phase Shift Armor????.... From What i Saw It looked Nice to See The beam got Deflected. Is PS and TPS Equally matched or is Ps armor inferior to TPS armor???
Trans-phase doesn't constantly draw power, while Phase-shift does. Trans-phase only uses power, when the unit is hit. EA seems to have abandoned it though, so there's obviously some kind of flaw inherent in the system itself. I'm not sure what this is though.

However, Trans-phase does not negate beam weapons, I'm sure you're thinking of the Forbidden's energy deflection armour, or something. The energy deflection armour isn't Trans-phase.

Last edited by Raxtenko; 2004-12-21 at 20:36.
Raxtenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 20:53   Link #29
2Die4
Mr. Pedolicon

I just Thought that its kinda nice to deflect beams back at opponents...i can see that its really handy to have 1 Also is the shield of freedom also Ps???? The reason i asked is because i see that freedom shield didnt get badly damaged after get hits by missles and Beams. In Ep 35 Of SEED i clearly see that multiple missles Hits The Shield and Didn't Scratch It
Old 2004-12-21, 21:19   Link #30
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

i think all gundam shields r made with energy-weapon resistant material.. but during the second episode of GSD athrun did manage to embed a beam axe in Gaia's shield..
Old 2004-12-21, 21:47   Link #31
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L
i think all gundam shields r made with energy-weapon resistant material.. but during the second episode of GSD athrun did manage to embed a beam axe in Gaia's shield..
That's because the Beam Axe is supported by a hard solid edge too. The anti-beam shields can withstand all beams and some amount of physical force, but when a huge axe is being thrown at it physically or when it takes something like the Slash Zaku Phantom's giant Beam Axe, the shield may- manage to take the beam but it definitely cannot withstand the force of the solid weaponry (which is why Chaos's shield got neatly chopped in half by Yzak in Ep 6).
Old 2004-12-21, 21:51   Link #32
ForceFreedom

So why don't they just make the MS's out of the same stuff as the shields?

EDIT: Aside from costs of production, labor capital, etc.
ForceFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 22:20   Link #33
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

cuz if they did that nothing would explode and we'd all miss those wonderful pink explosions in space..
Old 2004-12-21, 22:22   Link #34
2Die4
Mr. Pedolicon

Quote:
I Agree With brightman. Even though the shield itself can withstand beams But the force from the slash CAN damage it.... Its not like the shield is made of Ps... right... even so i think it would be a waste if they put ps armor on the shield.
Old 2004-12-21, 22:47   Link #35
ForceFreedom

Pink explosions are l337

So let me get this straight, transpace armour is pretty much the Multi-Directional shield system on the SDF-1, without the lame arcade-style controllers that had to be manned by the most seemingly unqualified people?
ForceFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 22:49   Link #36
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFreedom
So why don't they just make the MS's out of the same stuff as the shields?

EDIT: Aside from costs of production, labor capital, etc.
Because the material used in the shield cannot be used to build a mobile suit?

And the anti-beam coating that they put on the shields cause Phase-Shift metals to grow brittle, which is why they don't put that on the mobile suit either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFreedom
So let me get this straight, transpace armour is pretty much the Multi-Directional shield system on the SDF-1, without the lame arcade-style controllers that had to be manned by the most seemingly unqualified people?
Basically...
Old 2004-12-21, 22:55   Link #37
2Die4
Mr. Pedolicon

Hahahahahaha No Comment about it.
Old 2004-12-22, 01:09   Link #38
Raxtenko

I just finished a bit of research about trans-phase armour, and according to Wikipedia, yes I know anything Wikipedia says should be taken with a grain of salt, but what the articel says, does make sense.

While trans-phase armour is more energy efficient, than phase shift, it suffers from two weaknesses: a multi vector assault will overwhelm trans-phase armour, and basically cause it to suck up a massive amount of power, in a short amount of time. Additionally, trans-phase can also be overwhelmed by a weapon of sufficient power (not sure what that's supposed to mean).

Basically, because of these weaknesses EA decided to abandon trans-phase, and phase-shift armour, in favour of laminated armour, after the first war ended. Conversely, ZAFT continued to develop phase-shift armour.
Old 2004-12-22, 09:39   Link #39
2Die4
Mr. Pedolicon

So What it means is The more u get hit or the more powerful the beam Weapons, The more the energy Tps And Ps Armor Consume????..Right
Old 2004-12-22, 13:03   Link #40
Raxtenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Die4
So What it means is The more u get hit or the more powerful the beam Weapons, The more the energy Tps And Ps Armor Consume????..Right
No. trans-phase only uses pwoer when the MS gets hit, Phase Shift constantly uses power.