AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-11, 18:17   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Air Master, Interlude and Slam Dunk are Licensed!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
GENEON ENTERTAINMENT SIGNS DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT WITH TOEI ANIMATION

Air Master, Interlude, And Slam Dunk Among First Properties To Be Distributed On DVD

LONG BEACH, Calif. Geneon Entertainment announced today an agreement with leading Japanese anime producer Toei Animation to distribute the company's animation programs on DVD in the U.S. and Canada. The first titles slated to be distributed under the agreement are Air Master, Interlude and Slam Dunk. Toei Animation is credited with international smash hit properties such as Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon and Digimon and has created over 180 film and television titles well known by children and adults all over the world. We are thrilled to be partnering with such a well-respected anime production company as Toei Animation to bring its stellar properties to new audiences through our established DVD distribution capabilities in the U.S. and Canada, said Yosuke Kobayashi, president and CEO, Geneon Entertainment. Geneon Entertainment is a leading supplier of Japanese animation in the U.S. anime DVD market and has an impressive library of titles which continues to expand. Among the many internationally acclaimed properties distributed by Geneon Entertainment are Tenchi Muyo!, Lupin The Third, Armitage, Heat Guy J, Last Exile, Beyblade, Gungrave, X, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Sailor Moon. Other films released by Geneon include the stunningly restored, anime masterpiece Akira, the Japanese blockbuster Onmyoji, the sci-fi classic Patlabor WXIII, and Sakura Wars the Movie. Geneon Entertainment's commitment to Japanese anime along with its expertise in sales, marketing and distribution make it an ideal partner for us as we continue to expand our international business, said Kanji Kazahaya, COO, Toei Animation.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-11, 18:19   Link #2
ramune

It is nice to see Slam Dunk finally gets licensed.
Old 2004-11-11, 18:56   Link #3
Kensuke

So we can expect many new, and also old series coming to western markets.

I was glad, and little surprised that they picked up Interlude.
*starts waiting for DVDs*
Old 2004-11-11, 19:20   Link #4
Darth_E_
Freelance TS'er/Encoder

Ah Slam Dunk, one of my favorite shows...

I hope they do a good job on it :/

Yours,
-Elly
Old 2004-11-11, 19:28   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

Yes! I'm psyched for Interlude.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Kanon.
Old 2004-11-11, 22:31   Link #6
wao
OK.

Whoa... I totally didn't expect Slam Dunk to get licensed after THIS long. It's been a hit in Asia and has been around for ages, but I wonder if it'll work in America ^_^;
Old 2004-11-11, 23:01   Link #7
Dorfl

Perhaps their Hajime no Ippo sales have been encouraging so they want to acquire other sports anime and market them. Slam Dunk has a pretty good chance, since it's about a well-known and very popular sport. Air Master = boobs = instant fanbase. Interlude = never heard of, but I hope it's good.
Old 2004-11-11, 23:10   Link #8
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Interlude's quite good. A three episode OVA triad subbed not too long ago. I can't wait to see it on American DVD. Very thrilled about it~ I hope all the eps are on one dvd
Old 2004-11-11, 23:41   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Seeing Slam Dunk licensed after so long makes me think that perhaps I ought to download and watch the first episodes of Prince of Tennis very soon or else it will get licensed also.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-12, 00:04   Link #10
Suikun

My fear with Prince of Tennis is that 4Kids will get it, since it's a Shonen Jump property, and we know by now that 4Kids is more than willing to take risks to break in new genres... which contrary to how it sounds is a bad thing here. And in that case... we can only hope those Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs are selling really well.
Old 2004-11-12, 00:20   Link #11
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

So Slam Dunk is finally licensed in US long after it got licensed in almost all Asian countries ^^ It'd be interesting to see how it fares in US, it's surely a great show and one with insane popularity around here
Old 2004-11-12, 03:19   Link #12
Spooky-Electric

I just wish I could have seen the rest of Slam Dunk before it got licensed.

A-E just didn't want to do those last 3 episodes.
Old 2004-11-12, 03:24   Link #13
Fronzel
Schmuck

What're some of the more obscure titles we can eventually expect?
Old 2004-11-12, 05:31   Link #14
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
What're some of the more obscure titles we can eventually expect?
I wonder when someone is finally gonna license KimiNozo ...

Old 2004-11-12, 05:43   Link #15
_Cyberwiesel__

Slam Dunk is awesome, mixet teamspirit and realy god Basketball Matches witch humor and sarcasm I have alle 101 eps lookt in only 1 week
Old 2004-11-12, 09:24   Link #16
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Hisoka Hajime
I guess we can all assume that Anime Empire won't be releasing the last three eps lol. Not that it will even matter now. I'm just so happy to see Slam Dunk get licensed and by a company such as Geneon. I'd like to believe like the person above that the sales of Hajime no Ippo has a little something to do with it. Long sports shows are usually fantastic and if they are handled correctly with a 5 episode count then I see no reason for Slam Dunk not to be a big hit. It's just so hard to believe, but very very awesome news. If anyone ever says "blank series will never be licensed" then just mention Slam Dunk, Hana Yori Dango, Flame of Recca, Kodomo no Omocha and Hajime no Ippo. This news is the biggest shocker to me since Maison Ikkoku got a dvd date. Gotta love it!
Old 2004-11-12, 10:09   Link #17
clem-kun
Shi-Fa Staff

Send a message via AIM to clem-kun
Slam Dunk was licensed... wow. I guess there's hope for Doraemon after all.
Old 2004-11-12, 12:07   Link #18
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shabaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Whoa... I totally didn't expect Slam Dunk to get licensed after THIS long. It's been a hit in Asia and has been around for ages, but I wonder if it'll work in America ^_^;
It's about basketball... so everything they need for it to be successful is right there.

Damn, I've waited so long for this day. Happy times indeed.
Old 2004-11-12, 13:26   Link #19
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Nice, another cell-based sports anime licenced by someone treating Hajime no Ippo so well. And one I haven't see too.
Go, Geneon!!
Old 2004-11-12, 23:22   Link #20
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shabaz
It's about basketball... so everything they need for it to be successful is right there.

Damn, I've waited so long for this day. Happy times indeed.
The thing about Slam Dunk is that it's
1. old (that DOES have an effect on the general audience)
2. the kind of basketball it portrays is not all that similar to American basketball...

'Course, what am I saying, I never really watched it except for 1 or 2 episodes offhand...