AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-11-12, 16:56   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Thumbs down XBox 2......times 3?

I just read on Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/) that Microsoft is planning to have 3 (or even as many as 6) versions of the X-Box too. One without a hard drive, one with a hard drive, and one that has all the functionality of a PC. And I think it must be the stupidest shitty idea ever put forth for a console for the following reasons:

1) One of the great things about consoles is that when it works on one, it will work on every other one (unlike a PC). Having 3 versions, even if they are similar, means that the game must be made to work on all 3 systems, effectively tripling the time required for testing, which is both expensive to the manufacturer and will delay the release of titles.

2) An X-Box PC? Please, that is some stupid ass shit. Don't try to merge the console world with the PC world you morons. I can already imagine so many things going wrong here I don't even want to start. If they really want to let people be able to play X-box games on a PC, they should either provide a software emulator or scrap the X-Box all together and only develop PC games.

3) M$ claimed that they are doing this to allow users "a choice" so they can sell the less-expensive X-Box 2s with no hard drive, but with the way they are fucking over the developers with what I mentioned in #1, that means the games will be more expensive. The financial analysist at M$ must have also failed out of Yale like Gates did I guess. :fingers:

meh, I was pretty harsh and I don't want to turn anything into a flame war, but I just really hate Microsoft's products and business practices and wanted to be the first to bitch about this. Comments and (calm) rebuttals are welcome.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 17:00   Link #2
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
listen X- BOX is shit it will always be shit and will forever stay as shitt !!!
anyway HALO always comes to PC and HALO 2 will be no exception
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 17:37   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

I think you're jumping to some unreasonable conclusions.

1) The problem with developing for PCs is that computers will have different CPUs, video cards, sound cards, etc. An X-Box will be an X-Box with or without a hard drive. I doubt it'll effect development speed at all.

2) You might be looking at this backwords. Are they trying to get X-Box games to work on a PC or create an X Box that can do other things besides play games. It'll probably be like an X-Box with a webTV in it.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 18:22   Link #4
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
X bOX is getting way to over confident if they plan to live of the the HALO franchise then they are doomed to faliure.................thats just abot the only real hit on the XBOX becuase FABLE had for sales and was just to short and coming out with 3 systems it might go the way of the DREAM CAST if they overproduce
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 20:06   Link #5
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
2) An X-Box PC? Please, that is some stupid ass shit. Don't try to merge the console world with the PC world you morons. I can already imagine so many things going wrong here I don't even want to start. If they really want to let people be able to play X-box games on a PC, they should either provide a software emulator or scrap the X-Box all together and only develop PC games.
I had to call this out, one of the major reasons I bought an XBOX is the fact that you basically turn your XBOX into a PC if you mod it. After Tech TV did awhole big thing about it, I didn't know you could mod it that much. I mean when you mod other systems what are doing with them? Playing Japanese imports and burned games like on the PS2? Modded XBOX lets you play movies, view pictures and play your games as well. So now I can have all my media streamed off my PC into my XBOX and view it all on a much bigger screen. So I think making the XBOX more... mod friendly, I guess would be a good idea, since 95% of the people I know specifically bought an XBOX for that purpose at hand.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 02:14   Link #6
TerryMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
A true gamer loves games, no matter which platform they're on.

From the owner of a PS2, Xbox, GC, PC, N64, GBA, Dreamcast, Saturn, and two Virtual Boys.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 02:20   Link #7
Iron Monkey

Meh, the Xbox may as well be a PC. I bought it solely so I could use it to watch anime with. 200 CDN for a divx/xvid player ain't bad. The fact that it can also play games is a bonus too, although the only game I've ever really played on it is NHL 2K4.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 02:39   Link #8
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Microsoft will move to make the next Xbox less mod friendly.

Mod friendly = more people warezing games. That's bad, as developers will avoid releasing on a platform that's easily hijacked.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 02:54   Link #9
Fel
Clean up princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg

I was under the impression that the PC version paled in comparison to the console
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 03:03   Link #10
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Microsoft will move to make the next Xbox less mod friendly.

Mod friendly = more people warezing games. That's bad, as developers will avoid releasing on a platform that's easily hijacked.
Though... a system that is able to be modded tend to always sell... the games may not sell... but the systems do... the PS1 was so popular because it could be modded... it's competitors at the time, the Saturn and the N64 were smoked out of the water... when the XBOX was able to be modded... more people bought an XBOX (I know I did)... bottom line... mod-friendly systems = more console units sold...

and I doubt any company can make any system "less mod friendly" (maybe with the exception of Nintendo... as I haven't seen anything worthwhile for their Gamecube (other than the PSO exploit))... ... people's imaginations will always come up with something... I remember before when people laughed at the thought of a modded XBOX...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel
I was under the impression that the PC version paled in comparison to the console
Yeah... the PC Halo was garbage compared to the console version... well... at least imo...
Old 2004-11-14, 02:21   Link #11
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
The console selling well is good for everyone except Microsoft. They don't make their money from the console, they make it via royalties from the sales of games. Warez = no royalties. Thus we get hard to mod machines.

The PS1 being moddable is not what made it win. The Saturn lost due to lackluster games because it was hard to write software for (and it was a killer 2D machine in a new age of 3D games.) The N64 lost because it got beat by the Playstation's more diverse game library (Nintendo was -very- restrictive on what could be released.) They also got held back by using cartriges instead of CDs.

Oh, and the Playstation had Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

The Gamecube gets around it by not having an easily writeable medium on which to store games. The only mod out there is a swich that's easily installable to swap between regions, or you can use a Freeloader disc to do the same. Nintendo is far more concerned about warezing of their games than region lockouts.

So no, being moddable doesn't HELP them any. It just encourages people to buy the console and warez the games, which is not good for the console maker NOR the game developer.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 02:40   Link #12
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

And why should Micro$oft just care about console and games, when even there software isn't proper :S The Xbox doesn't sells good this is because there aren't any good games for it. The only game we see are Halo and Project Gotham because they are very hyped when the games are not even above average. And I see the xbox as a commercial product to earn easy money because for everything you've got tot pay. When I want to watch a ovie on my PS2 I can play it after inserting the dvd. But when I do this on my Xbox(I have one ) It says directly after inserting that I must buy a remote control to watch a Movie:S And then we have that Live well this is thing I can't stand. We pay for a console and then you've got to buy various extensions and pay a high price to get Online with a game. This isn't normal anymore and with Xbox 2 I dont expect it will change.

Let Micro$soft first take care of making there pc software good and stable because this is just terrible. And for the Xbox and the future ones (xbox 2) I dont expect this will be a good succes.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 22:03   Link #13
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel
And why should Micro$oft just care about console and games, when even there software isn't proper :S The Xbox doesn't sells good this is because there aren't any good games for it.
Soo...... Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell series, DOA series, Burnout 3 (with XBOX Live/custom soundtracks), Morrowind, and Panzer Dragoon Orta aren't good games?

Quote:
The only game we see are Halo and Project Gotham because they are very hyped when the games are not even above average.
According to........????? There's a gaming guru that now knows what a good game is and isn't? Its okay if you think (insert game here) is overrated/bad/good/perfect, but don't act as if what you think is the status quo for everyone else.

Quote:
And I see the xbox as a commercial product to earn easy money because for everything you've got tot pay. When I want to watch a ovie on my PS2 I can play it after inserting the dvd. But when I do this on my Xbox(I have one ) It says directly after inserting that I must buy a remote control to watch a Movie:S
That is VERY lame indeed, I still find it ironic that I played my Halo 2 DVD on my PS2.

Quote:
And then we have that Live well this is thing I can't stand. We pay for a console and then you've got to buy various extensions and pay a high price to get Online with a game. This isn't normal anymore and with Xbox 2 I dont expect it will change.
Huh? All the more popular XBOX titles come with a two month subscribtion fee when you buy it, I mean I got 6 months lined up for free, and with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory coming out, I got 8. Hell you can get them off ebay for 5 bucks too, but are you talking about the XBOX Live Kit? That comes with a game+headset(which isn't manditory and could be bought for 10 bucks)+ a free full year? Atleast XBOX Live is actually pushing its online capabilities. Compare the PS2 online games vs. XBOX Live's line up and you'll see what I mean. You got Socom, FFXI, RE (which I really don't consider all that online to begin with) and Monster Hunters, right? I rather pay 30 for a year of various games then 15-17 bucks a month for just one. (FFXI)

Quote:
Let Micro$soft first take care of making there pc software good and stable because this is just terrible. And for the Xbox and the future ones (xbox 2) I dont expect this will be a good succes.
Actually XBOX was a maginficant sucess outside of sales, you know how many new gamers popped up thanks to XBOX? Thanks to MS, the gaming community is not only bigger but way more mainstream, how is that terrible? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hailing XBOX as the system to end all systems, but even when I didn't own an XBOX I could clearly see the influence that it had on the community (gamers) and the amount of newblood that's been brought in. This coming from a guy who recently bought his XBOX a month ago.
----------------------------

microlith - All the points you presented happened almost 10 years ago, and have no standing now, since both games, and consoles have evolved to a new stage, meaning back then consoles were just that, consoles, but now they're multi-purpose machines that play games, XBOX's ability to be a versatile machine when modded did help it sale, because people want more for their money. And as for my original statement, I meant to say modder friendly, meaning XBOX is seeing the benefits of having their system as more then just a console but a mini-PC, basically pushing their stuff for people like me.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 14:01   Link #14
TheMadMan

multiple is normal

Umm... why is it so strange? First of all, X BOX ROCKS! PS2 ... less than rocks, lets just leave it at that.
Now secondly you realize there are two different versions of xbox right now? The older and the newer.
Playstation 2 also has had three revisions NOT counting PSX and the new slim PS2.
what about gameboy shit? Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy SP, Gameboy SP Calssic Nintendo Edition or some stuff like that... you get the message.
I don't know about the Xeon versions rumors (thats what the next xbox is called i think) but even if they are true... it is normal!

Also about PC and console mixin... WHO CARES! They are already so similar. The closer they get the better because it allows game makers to try more daring ideas without having to lose as much money, how you ask? When the game industry becomes more standardized, games will share more in common (the chriteron tools (a set of tools used in as many as 1 in 8 games, examples are Tony Hawk, Burnout, and GTA) is a good example) When developers don't have to make a new engine for PC and for console, it will reduce costs, there for, less risk in making games. WOW, what a concept. I am eprsonally a PC gamer and I am willing to spend thousands of dollars on a PC but I think people who don't want to shell out big bucks and don't want a costly system to maintain deserve good gaming too, hence consoles are around.
TheMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 17:56   Link #15
Remian

Ok, The XBOX is an amazing console. It can do everything better than the other consoles. I think that the fact that one of the XBOX 2s could be a PC is awesome. This means that you could grab a PC only game like World Of Warcraft and stick it in your XBOX. Which means that now you could play with enhanced graphics.

The only bad idea is the one without the hard drive. That is just stupid. The people who buy that are just going to constantly spend money buying memory cards and wont be able to use Action Replay as freely as you could WITH a hard drive.

I think you guys are too hard on the XBOX. Its the BEST console, and thats not just an opinion. The only reason the XBOX isnt doing so well is the fact that they dont have all the other games from the GC and the PS2. And I agree with that guy who said they cant keep using Halo. If they keep milking the Halo cow, its going to die someday. There are some more features they could throw in Halo, but eventually Halo is going to die, just like the Mario Party series.

The second they make a sequal to Ninja Gaiden, is the second that the XBOX becomes the Best video gaming console EVAH. Until then...
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 18:11   Link #16
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Soo...... Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell series, DOA series, Burnout 3 (with XBOX Live/custom soundtracks), Morrowind, and Panzer Dragoon Orta aren't good games?

Huh? All the more popular XBOX titles come with a two month subscribtion fee when you buy it, I mean I got 6 months lined up for free, and with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory coming out, I got 8. Hell you can get them off ebay for 5 bucks too, but are you talking about the XBOX Live Kit? That comes with a game+headset(which isn't manditory and could be bought for 10 bucks)+ a free full year? Atleast XBOX Live is actually pushing its online capabilities. Compare the PS2 online games vs. XBOX Live's line up and you'll see what I mean. You got Socom, FFXI, RE (which I really don't consider all that online to begin with) and Monster Hunters, right? I rather pay 30 for a year of various games then 15-17 bucks a month for just one. (FFXI)
The games you named are almost all in my collection :P
But Project Gotham was nothing more than a uge update of metropolis race on the DC. And Xbox games are hyped especially when the're from Micro$oft. But the Games as DoA, Ninja Gaiden,ShenMue II (even it is a port) PDO, JSRF and many more are great and the best games for xbox but this also proves that when games aren't hyped (Ninja gaiden was becoming and is very popular) . Be better than most games because the game has shown much of it. Look at Fable it was a huge disappointment. And Live is omsething you must GET Free. And that subscription doesn't make anything good. I can say of the 18 games I have no game that supports Live. Or even has a Live sticker on it :P. So that live thing isn't really needed get good games. But for now I think Xbox would not become as Popular as the PS2 or get a high name Like Nintendo. Because this is the're first console and Nintendo and Sony already made one of many more consoles before the Xbox.

And that games are exclusive isn't something that bothers me because for what i' ve seen is are only some titles really worth to get the xbox such as Dead or Alive 3. But sometimes I also think that these games can be played on other machines even if MS says that it can't.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 23:40   Link #17
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

1)Imagine the software will run the same on all the machines, since the Xbox software/hardware will be basically the same. We'll just see the different machines being underutilized and then we'll all look back and wonder what the point was...

2)Bet it comes pre-loaded with Windows to curb those Linux people. Wait, cancel that. You have to pay extra for windows but the online stuff isn't Linux compatible. Yes that's the ticket. Imagine there will either be an actual switch on the machine (unlikely) or you'll select one at the browser while it's booting up (more likely).

3)Obviously not trying to give users choice, think they're just trying to be something for everybody so they can sell more.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote