AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-18, 02:02   Link #4561
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
No, Sarcasteak-sama!! I saved Sarara-chan for my Avatar!!

Old 2004-09-18, 03:05   Link #4562
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
No, Sarcasteak-sama!! I saved Sarara-chan for my Avatar!!

RED! EYES! where is that Lst2 character?

well, it seems you have a new sig, or i jsut cant remember it. thus being said, onto the rating.

well, the image is a tad on the small size with too much "empty" space (i am also guilty of this) i give you 7/10 because of image selection + color blend

Sarcasteak: considering other options i thought this was alot better that the others other than that it is solid black + sorta thick
Old 2004-09-18, 05:14   Link #4563
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "worst" and 10 is "best," I give hobobaggins' signature a 8 because I like the girls.
Old 2004-09-18, 08:40   Link #4564
7thMethuselah

Hobobaggins :Yummie ! 10/10
MidoriShinobi : Kawaii ! 9/10

Old 2004-09-18, 09:57   Link #4565
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
PriestessKikyo - Ehhh...I like the artstyle, I'll give you that. (not eveything that's in that style, just the pic in your sig.) I don't like it how the wings go over the border...The overlay of blocks or whatever it is, doesn't fit IMO...Not much more to say...(except maybe also Instant-Sig, but you've made it look like it isn't).
I didn't get the chance to rate the one you had before this one, but the one you had before that (the one with the blue and stuffs) is your best that I can remember
No no it's not what you call an "instant-sig" - I did keep the original background of the source, but I did a lot of modifications to it, especially to the background, so it wasn't just a crop-name-border thing

The funny thing is that the one with the "blue and stuffs", that one you could call an Instant-Sig, I only did the three basic steps and added a dotted pattern. Ten minute job

Oh and there's an alternate version too:
Spoiler:

Diaphanus I recognize three of those girls: the first from the left, is it Sailor Saturn o_O? the last two are Sachiko and Yumi from Maria-Sama Ga Miteru! Sachiko being my all-time favorite anime character, I should add =D
And the third one from the left, might be that sister girl from Tsukihime, but I dunno... Well anyway, interesting idea, and ++ for Marimite, so 8/10

7thMethuselah quality is lacking a little : / no name? but cute image. Also, the height is too much (max is 160 rules-wise) is 8.5/10

Last edited by MikoKikyo; 2004-09-18 at 11:03.
Old 2004-09-18, 10:07   Link #4566
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

Send a message via MSN to full_metal_31
7thMethuselah:i like it but it's kinda big for my taste and it can use a name....8.5/10
Old 2004-09-18, 12:26   Link #4567
Yuiichi
Retired.

Heres a new sig. Subaru from .hack.

Edit: I did two versions of my sig, the one that i have set now, and this one.
Spoiler:

Which one do you like better?

Ok, now for ratings.

Full_Metal_31: I like the effects at the sides of your sig, it adds to the image greatly. I also really like the backgroud of the image, it's perfect. I must say that it is a little on the small side (you can see that i tend to like bigger images) This one deserves a 9.3/10

PK: The pastel like effect is nice on the image, and i like the text. It sort of cuts off the top of the head though... but i like the boarder. 9.1/10

7thMethuselah: Bonus points for having Shipon in your sig ^_^ It's sort of messy though, even though it does work... and several of the little Shippons sort of look a little grainy. 8.4/10

hobobaggins: Hrmm... the border works very well, but your text is bad... i do like the image though ^_^ 9.7/10

MidoriShinobi: So cute!!! Lol, i love it! 10/10

Last edited by Yuiichi; 2004-09-18 at 12:44.
Old 2004-09-18, 13:07   Link #4568
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Yuiichi - I like the one with the bubbly border better, that kind or maybe a feathered border fit it well IMO 9/10 ^_^

7thMethuselah - I agree with PriestessKikyo, it has some spots where it's a little low in quality, but it's entertaining 8/10

What does everyone think of this one? I know it needs some work, but I've hit a block and some suggestions would help
Spoiler:

I also added an outer blue and inner white border on my signature that sarcasteak suggested.
Old 2004-09-18, 13:18   Link #4569
Yuiichi
Retired.

Oujirou: Oooo.. your new sig is great!!! I love the crop, and the text is amazing!! I would give that one a 9.8/10. The border is a little dark though... hrmm.. i don't know what to suggest other than that though.

Erm... i feel like a n00b asking this but, whats a feathered border
Old 2004-09-18, 13:40   Link #4570
Oujirou
イルージョン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
Oujirou: Oooo.. your new sig is great!!! I love the crop, and the text is amazing!! I would give that one a 9.8/10. The border is a little dark though... hrmm.. i don't know what to suggest other than that though.

Erm... i feel like a n00b asking this but, whats a feathered border
^_^ thanks, I'll go try some lighter colors for it and see what I can manage

Not sure of an easy way to do feathering in Photoshop 7, well it's easy once you know how to do it. But here's how I do it.

1. Select the selction tool (or the marquee tool if that's what you'd like to call it), and at the top there should be an option for feather, put in 10 for example.
2. Select the image with the tool, then right click on the image. There will be an option to inverse, so click that.
3. Choose the bg color you want (white or something, or with a transparent layer under it, you won't need to bother with color) and press delete. It should put a light border around the image. If you keep pressing del after that, the feathered border will keep getting thicker.

EDIT Something like this for example, you can probably pull something off that's much better with the original

Last edited by Oujirou; 2004-09-18 at 13:50.
Old 2004-09-18, 13:50   Link #4571
Yuiichi
Retired.

Ok, feathering complete ^_^ I likes it! Thank you Oujirou!!

EDIT: I broke a law.. bah.. fine, i'll rate a sig, and then you rate mine ^_^

SiL Eighty: I really like the background of your sig. The character though seems out of place... its a bright background, with a monotone character... it just doesn't seem right. 7.0/10

Prince of Chronics: Nice picture and layout of your sig. The only problem i have with it is it's too small!

Last edited by Yuiichi; 2004-09-18 at 15:36.
Old 2004-09-18, 14:37   Link #4572
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
7thMethuselah: Whoa.... Look at all those chibis. It's, like, Chibistock, man....

Overall: A

It's a little over the limit, but I think they might let it slip by because usually they are way over the size acceptable on this forum.

Yuiichi, you have broken the sacred law rating ones sig when posting here.

I'm afraid I will have to sentence to Death and a/an mod/admin will delete your post. (You know what they say around here: Rate or Die!)

Of course all charges will be dropped if you rate a signature quickly before it is too late.

Also why does everyone use Bottle Fairy for Sigs/banners/avatars? Do you people like the anime that much or do you just like the cuteness of the characters? I heard the anime itself is pretty stupid.

To the person with the Bottle Fairy Signature: A
Old 2004-09-18, 15:48   Link #4573
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
No no it's not what you call an "instant-sig" - I did keep the original background of the source, but I did a lot of modifications to it, especially to the background, so it wasn't just a crop-name-border thing

The funny thing is that the one with the "blue and stuffs", that one you could call an Instant-Sig, I only did the three basic steps and added a dotted pattern. Ten minute job

Oh and there's an alternate version too:
Spoiler:
I say use the alternative one...it's a little more vibrant then the one you're using now. And yeah, I couldn't really tell for sure if it was Instant-(Coffee)Sig, because not a whole lot of the BG was visible. And just because I'm curious, how long did it take you to make the sig you're using now?
Oh and that i said the one with the "blue and stuffs" was the best, well....it looks the best. If I should rate it like I did in your previous rating, then it'll also score pretty low, especially now I know for sure that it's an Instant-Sig

Rating again eh?
Must do or else post will be deleted, not in the mood for that...
*opens new tab to see signatures*

Razer_2mb - already rated

I guess Yuiichi is the one who gets rated...
Well now, Instant-Sig, but when you're doing sigs like that, it's not really possible to do anything BUT Instant-Sig. The text: (Something Something) without you...
What's that first part, I can't read it....I suggest also using a drop shadow on it, like you did with your name. The feathering, looks ok, not too bad. I like Oujiro's one better though, the corners are a little less visible in that one. 3.8/10
Old 2004-09-18, 15:58   Link #4574
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
I say use the alternative one...it's a little more vibrant then the one you're using now. And yeah, I couldn't really tell for sure if it was Instant-(Coffee)Sig, because not a whole lot of the BG was visible. And just because I'm curious, how long did it take you to make the sig you're using now?
Oh and that i said the one with the "blue and stuffs" was the best, well....it looks the best. If I should rate it like I did in your previous rating, then it'll also score pretty low, especially now I know for sure that it's an Instant-Sig

Rating again eh?
Must do or else post will be deleted, not in the mood for that...
*opens new tab to see signatures*

Razer_2mb - already rated

I guess Yuiichi is the one who gets rated...
Well now, Instant-Sig, but when you're doing sigs like that, it's not really possible to do anything BUT Instant-Sig. The text: (Something Something) without you...
What's that first part, I can't read it....I suggest also using a drop shadow on it, like you did with your name. The feathering, looks ok, not too bad. I like Oujiro's one better though, the corners are a little less visible in that one. 3.8/10
Well, it was my first try with feathering... at least i can say i did it myself.

I did add drop shadow to the "HERE without you" text, but i changed the opacity to give it the transparent look. You complained about not being able to read the last transparent text that i had... so this time i only took it down to 92% opacity... but i guess thats not good enough for you.

And Instant-Sig???? I actually put some time into that... i'm not the most skilled person at photoshop, so i put time and effort into all of my work... but i guess arrogant people can't see others efforts.

At least you rated it... -_-'
Old 2004-09-18, 16:41   Link #4575
MikoKikyo

I can't for the life of me understand what good can come out of rating harshly. For one, people tend to go harsh on you in return. Secondly, you don't always know the effort people put into it. Third, people have completely different levels of experience. Finally, and most importantly, there are no standards of guidelines to follow when making sigs, so that people rely wholly on what looks best in their point-of-view, which varies from person to person.

All this should be enough reason to be lenient in rating the work of others, but it's not, and in all the time I've been active in this thread I have never understood why. Can someone explain this phenomenon to me? Necro? Aahhsin? I'm just curious, that's all.

Quote:
Ok, I'll try the alternative one for a while, thankies for the suggestion

I never keep track of how long it takes me, but for this one I started a few nights a go, but stopped working on it because I didn't really like it. But later, I had an idea and resumed the work, and finished one or two hours later. So yeah, this one tool me a while : /

Yuiichi good first-try, you'll find now that you learned how to use the feather tool that it's useful everytime you merge images. I *really* like the text if I may add a suggestion, it would look nice if you added a simple, blue, 1 pixel border around it to complement the feathering. (select all ->edit -> stroke and make sure you have the background layer selected then). 8.6/10
Old 2004-09-18, 17:23   Link #4576
Necrodeath

It's not about rating "harshly", it's about giving criticism. For me, if I receive bad criticism about an artwork of mine, I'm happy. Happy to know that I can change that in my next artwork and improve. Perhaps it was foolish of me to think that others may think alike, but so be it. Then I made a mistake, but I'm not going to give someone a rating like this: "Looks ok, could be better though 7/10". A 7/10 is High. 5/10 is average, 3/10 is below average.
I agree that I did not really give Yuiichi some good constructive criticism, but then again, there isn't a whole lot to give critisim about.

When I first joined a forum (Dragonball Vortex , so sue me...) I stood in awe of the sigs created there, a level of greatness that I will never be able to achieve, and will never be achieved on this forum. I wanted to have sigs like that, but just asking for one wouldn't cut it, I wanted to make one of those myself. So I did...then I got rated, I got ratings like 3/10, 25%, and whatnot, but not one rating above 40% // 4/10. It was a simple sig. Because of this, I got into sig making, trying to get better and better, but failing every single time. There we're times I was about to give it up, but then a sig would come out really nice, and I posted it, and it got me some good ratings, got me constructive criticism, stuff I could work with to improve. That is what I miss in this forum.

Even now, if I should rate my own signature, it will not be higher then a 6/10
Looky here, I will rate myself with a worst case scenario.

Necrodeath - Nice background, randomness worked well I see? What's with that big ass white thing with your username on top of it? Covering up emptyness are we? Then there is that girl...she's too pale(read: not vibrant enough) in comparison to your background. Why did you put her on top of the feathering? that just looks awfull... Try to fill it up next time, instead of covering it up with a big font and a white thing. 4/10

Ofcourse, there will always be people that will love the kind of backgrounds I make, but there will also always be people that hate my kind of backgrounds. Some people like plain white backgrounds with a simple looking character in the middle of it and his/her name in the smallest pixelfont they could find.
Different people have different opinions, but that does not mean that I can't give an opinion of someone elses sig.

I'm honestly not trying to stomp people into the ground by giving them terrible remarks and low ratings on their sigs or something...

On a different note, I think it might be handy for people to put in their post how long it took to create the signature they are using.

Prince of Chronics - Awesome, looks cool. Maybe a bit small, but I'm loving the colour scheme. BG is a bit too simple for my tastes and I think rounding the lines at the corners may look somewhat better. 7/10

(* I might have missed a few points, or it may look like a babble of some sort, but just read it twice if you don't understand it all. *)
Old 2004-09-18, 18:10   Link #4577
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
Yuiichi good first-try, you'll find now that you learned how to use the feather tool that it's useful everytime you merge images. I *really* like the text if I may add a suggestion, it would look nice if you added a simple, blue, 1 pixel border around it to complement the feathering. (select all ->edit -> stroke and make sure you have the background layer selected then). 8.6/10
Thanks a lot ^_^ I'll try out the blue border!

Edit: How is that?

Necrodeath: I really like the background that you have going on there, and the effects below and above the text really add to the sig. What can i say, i'm an easy rater: 10/10
Old 2004-09-18, 19:18   Link #4578
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
I just love the characters. I'm not a huge fan of the series itself, but it's cute.

Necrodeath - 8/10.. I like it, I guess.

I know my sig is a monster. I'm going to resize it in a minute.

Last edited by MidoriShinobi; 2004-09-18 at 19:38.
Old 2004-09-18, 19:54   Link #4579
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
I just love the characters. I'm not a huge fan of the series itself, but it's cute.

Necrodeath - 8/10.. I like it, I guess.

I know my sig is a monster. I'm going to resize it in a minute.
oh my god i love you. may yo yet enter the halls of JoJo yet.

this deserves a 8.7/10 simply because of the audacity of it (whether or not it gets removed)

whoo.... ... ... okay, so the image isnt all that great ( i dont like the style for one) too much hair methinks. oh man when i look at the BG i fall over.

monster? holy shit! that thing is larger than 1/2 of all 1024x backgrounds!

but- why such a high rating? because it is a step in the right direction! and this should always be encouraged (dont smite me xris!)
Old 2004-09-18, 20:04   Link #4580
Oujirou
イルージョン

Guess I'll try out this signature for a bit, changed it slightly, enhanced some points, lowered others, changed the border from a 2 to a 1.

Here's what it used to be (posted 12 or so posts back):
Spoiler:

MidoriShinobi I like this one, looks simple to me, nice colors, just something about it that catches your eye ^_^ 9/10
Yuiichi Works well with the blue border with the feathering on it. Looks nice. And Subaru is just great so 9.5/10
Closed Thread

Tags
rate, signature