AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-26, 12:55   Link #2761
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Western, Asian, Western... what is an Asian-American, like 2nd generation? Western? Asian?
Depends on the upbringing. It is possible, easy even, to educate someone to make them aware of the old country's culture. But I think it would be very difficult to truly raise a racially Asian person into a culturally Asian one in the West, unless you lived in San Francisco's Chinatown until age 18 or something.

A good illustration of this is how the Japanese view Japanese-Americans, even the full-blooded ones, who "return" to Japan. They are not considered Japanese, to speak nothing of the Eurasian ones, of whom I knew a few in high school. To their peers, they seemed Asian, and it is true that some superficial looks, knowledge of the language, and a basic cultural knowledge would make them appear Asian. But to the Asians they would seem irrevocably Western. I tend to agree with this view, since that is where they grew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintess
Stop abusing your ethnicity-fuelled charisma to corrupt the younger generation. Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong already have a sizeable base of fujoshis and I believe that Korea (or maybe the rest of Asia) doesn't need any.
Don't worry, Best Korea's womenfolk have been under the protection of the Kim family since 1945, so they are safe from fujoshi-ka.
__________________
Die Arbeit macht selig, denn die Arbeit macht frei
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 13:50   Link #2762
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Depends on the upbringing. It is possible, easy even, to educate someone to make them aware of the old country's culture. But I think it would be very difficult to truly raise a racially Asian person into a culturally Asian one in the West, unless you lived in San Francisco's Chinatown until age 18 or something.

A good illustration of this is how the Japanese view Japanese-Americans, even the full-blooded ones, who "return" to Japan. They are not considered Japanese, to speak nothing of the Eurasian ones, of whom I knew a few in high school. To their peers, they seemed Asian, and it is true that some superficial looks, knowledge of the language, and a basic cultural knowledge would make them appear Asian. But to the Asians they would seem irrevocably Western. I tend to agree with this view, since that is where they grew up.
Hee, I was wondering how they play into the lady appeal discussion.

I guess as Westerns.

On the whole, yea I think you are where youre raised. Cant stand it when someone insists that Im not Chinese even though I lived here all my life.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 15:19   Link #2763
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Hee, I was wondering how they play into the lady appeal discussion.

I guess as Westerns.
I think that Asians like the mixed look a lot since they are generally whiter and have big eyes (Sometimes we even end up with brown hair; no dye needed!), which is already considered smexy, but unlike white people they evoke a sense of familiarity by being partly Asian.

Quote:
On the whole, yea I think you are where youre raised. Cant stand it when someone insists that Im not Chinese even though I lived here all my life.
wait, you live in China? Are you Russian or something (based on the name)?

I think it's shameful to lose the old culture completely, but yeah if you're born there you will end up living and thinking at least partly as the locals do. I'm half Chinese so I try my best to study the language, history, etc., but if I end up marrying a white person I'm not going to expect my 1/4th Asian kids to have anywhere near the same interest as myself, if at all.
__________________
Die Arbeit macht selig, denn die Arbeit macht frei
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 15:34   Link #2764
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I think that Asians like the mixed look a lot since they are generally whiter and have big eyes (Sometimes we even end up with brown hair; no dye needed!), which is already considered smexy, but unlike white people they evoke a sense of familiarity by being partly Asian.


wait, you live in China? Are you Russian or something (based on the name)?

I think it's shameful to lose the old culture completely, but yeah if you're born there you will end up living and thinking at least partly as the locals do. I'm half Chinese so I try my best to study the language, history, etc., but if I end up marrying a white person I'm not going to expect my 1/4th Asian kids to have anywhere near the same interest as myself, if at all.
imho past 2nd gen youre all where you grew up. You can study your grandparents culture if you want to, but its really not yours. e.g. All the Japanese kids I knew in America didnt care about Japan at all past typical American caring about Japn and the few things their parents knew, except one girl who likes anime because her mom takes her to Japan a lot. Theyre American, so thats how it should be. All those kids were 3rd generation or more, since the trend of Japanese emigrating from Japan is way down now compared to rest of North Asia.

And what if the mixed Asian has darker skin, like half Indian or African?

And no this is how i would feel if i lived in china.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-01-26 at 16:04.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 17:48   Link #2765
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is about primary and secondary traits. If I am not wrong, she would probably have the ojou-sama personality if she is hard to please, either passive or aggressive, with the subtrope of tsundere (either A or B), kuudere or yandere. Then next would be to assess mental stability and charisma level before giving the final verdict.

If we used Sume-nee as an example, she is a base ojou-sama (aggressive), subtrope yandere. Mental stability is low since she is a fujoshi+shotacon, charisma level high. Final verdict is stay as far away as possible and keep all other females out of 50m radius from her as she will abuse her charisma to lead them astray.
Now, what do I make of this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Stop abusing your ethnicity-fuelled charisma to corrupt the younger generation. Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong already have a sizeable base of fujoshis and I believe that Korea (or maybe the rest of Asia) doesn't need any.
My charisma is fueld by what?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
On the other hand, I somehow noticed that fujoshis and otaku-girls somehow have a better fashion sense that girls who are not into this kind of stuff, or just borderline idol-chasers. Unfortunately they don't have a straight train of thought.
We need an eye for the best possible idolization.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Don't worry, Best Korea's womenfolk have been under the protection of the Kim family since 1945, so they are safe from fujoshi-ka.
Who said I never been there?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 18:06   Link #2766
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
And what if the mixed Asian has darker skin, like half Indian or African?
Then unless the African or Indian was already quite attractive in terms of facial features, the dark skin would probably be seen as a detriment, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Who said I never been there?
Then The Dear Leader's (I know that's Jong-il's name, idk how Jong-un is called these days) protective grace still cancels out the effects of spiritual pollution.
__________________
Die Arbeit macht selig, denn die Arbeit macht frei
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 19:21   Link #2767
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
As an Irish/American (but not Irish-American) living in Ireland, I feel like I am neither American, or Irish, but something "else". I think that's the fate of many people with mixed backgrounds, never fully belong anywhere.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 06:30   Link #2768
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As an Irish/American (but not Irish-American) living in Ireland, I feel like I am neither American, or Irish, but something "else". I think that's the fate of many people with mixed backgrounds, never fully belong anywhere.
Sometimes I feel fortunate for being an Indonesian and only 3% Arab.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 06:41   Link #2769
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
A Muslim by birth but raise in a Christian community....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 09:37   Link #2770
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
A muslim by birth ... really Genji?
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 11:15   Link #2771
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
A muslim by birth ... really Genji?
Certainly possible to be "born" into a religion. In Ireland most people would say they're "born" Catholic. Occasionally they're "born" Protestant. Until recently religion was not really considered a personal choice, as to change religion would be to completely spurn your community and risk ostracism.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 11:38   Link #2772
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
My charisma is fueld by what?
Asian girls tend to have this cute/sweet look, so I think those with mixed parentage from within Asia tend to have a slightly higher degree of charm than their pedigree counterparts.

Now stop abusing it to influence other girls into becoming fujoshis; I think you have got to have something WRONG in your head to turn every loli into Mafuyu Shiina and every bishoujo into Kyou Fujibayashi.

Quote:
We need an eye for the best possible idolization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh, we were going for cuteness/sweetness/adorableness? I'm in the wrong place..
I think I found the word to describe JKT fashion : sweetness. The difference between the Japanese and Korean would be that the J-side defines sweetness as loli, while Korean definition would be the bishoujo. It is all about how you want your girl next door to be.

The Taiwanese adapts more from the Japanese fashion than Korean, while the HK version adds a dash of Westernisation to the adaptation. Though I find the touch of elegance and poshness added by the HK-ies tend to make the girl look a little too mature.

@ will - If you seriously like women with mature looks, I think you are just as hopeless and "tasteless" as LeoXiao to go for older women.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 12:11   Link #2773
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
A muslim by birth ... really Genji?
Don't eye brow me... That's kinda insulting.. I'm Muslim and that's a fact. Anyway, leave me and my religion alone... As if the world cares if I'm Muslim or not...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-27 at 12:33.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 14:38   Link #2774
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
@ will - If you seriously like women with mature looks, I think you are just as hopeless and "tasteless" as LeoXiao to go for older women.
Are you asking to be vaporized?

Nah, that was just a one-time thing. Now that a certain interest has gotten married, I've been forced to fall back and look elsewhere. How do you like the Yunnan landscape?
__________________
Die Arbeit macht selig, denn die Arbeit macht frei
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 18:35   Link #2775
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Japanese Snaggletooth Craze Spawns Dental Procedures, Girl Group:

"Americans regularly fork over $5,000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in
Japan, women are spending about $400 for just the opposite. On the other side of
the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.

Japan's beauty trend, dubbed "tseuke-yaeba," has reached a fever pitch, with
young women paying hundreds for snaggleteeth."

See:

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/japane...194500258.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 19:05   Link #2776
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
On the other side of
the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.
And they say shaving one's eyebrow ain't a thing of beauty..

What's next?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 19:26   Link #2777
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Japanese Snaggletooth Craze Spawns Dental Procedures, Girl Group:

"Americans regularly fork over $5,000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in
Japan, women are spending about $400 for just the opposite. On the other side of
the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.

Japan's beauty trend, dubbed "tseuke-yaeba," has reached a fever pitch, with
young women paying hundreds for snaggleteeth."

See:

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/japane...194500258.html
I read about this. And, I don't understand, but I was raised in a country where your dentist will ask if you want your teeth filed down so that they look perfect and where getting braces is almost a rite of passage, so my inability to comprehend is expected.

But thinking about the doughnut forehead silicone implants also toted as a "wildly spreading Japanese beauty trend", I have to wonder if this report is only representative of a few Japanese nuts, and playing off of that sense that "Japanese people are weird and crazy! Let's see what else they've come up with so we can laugh at it!" >_>

I'm not calling you a nut if you like real life snaggletooth, I'm just not going to be quick to assume since we're dealing with a country constantly bagged on for things like this...
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 19:45   Link #2778
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I'm not calling you a nut if you like real life snaggletooth, I'm just not going to be quick to assume since we're dealing with a country constantly bagged on for things like this...
It would not be an issue if its genetic ( my teeth ain't perfect but normal) but mechanically made?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 19:57   Link #2779
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
It would not be an issue if its genetic ( my teeth ain't perfect but normal) but mechanically made?
Yeah, that's what I mean. Liking snaggletooth to the point of purposely screwing your teeth up to get it.

If it's not a culture thing, then I refuse to believe a significant amount of Japanese women are doing this, as article claims. Same where I live, only movie stars and a few others will file their perfectly normal teeth down to look "perfect".
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 20:27   Link #2780
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Japanese Snaggletooth Craze Spawns Dental Procedures, Girl Group:

"Americans regularly fork over $5,000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in
Japan, women are spending about $400 for just the opposite. On the other side of
the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.

Japan's beauty trend, dubbed "tseuke-yaeba," has reached a fever pitch, with
young women paying hundreds for snaggleteeth."

See:

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/japane...194500258.html
Why's it only Japan where uneven teeth are natural? No wait does that even sound correct...rather why are people focusing only on Japan when in comes to uneven teeth...It can't be an Asian genetic thing no...braces are not ultra common where I am for one..
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.