AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-11-20, 08:01   Link #861
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
@RandomGuy: I mean will they go like: "Haruhi! In the flesh!" or "*insert any anime parody/quote here like: Heaven has forsaken us! - Lucky Star OVA". And not interested in girl stuff but boy stuff. As for the copyright, just buy the original. I already have the first Volume limited edition of Lucky Star.

P.S. Whatever you do, please don't show the English dub most people(at least those who like anime) outside Japan like RAW + English sub than English dub.

Is it true that:
Quote:
The Wall Street Journal, Friday Septemeber 17, 2004 (front page and page A10) - "The Little-Girl Look Is Big in Japan Now - Among the Brave" by Ginny Parker is a well researched article that has would be useful as a reference here. Some quotes:

"The look originated in Japan over 30 years ago and has flowered several times since then. The current boom is particularly intense."

"Despite the nation's reputation as a culture with a love of all things cute, many in mainstream Japan are contemptuous of the Lolita look. Fans of the style talk about being called stupid by strangers, getting mean looks and having chewing gum stuck to the backs of their dresses. Ms. Otani, the store clerk, says her clothes get so many stares that her boyfriend, who dresses in punk fashion, won't go out with her unless she wears something else."

"Many Lolitas lead a double life, wearing normal clothes when they work or go to school, and "doing Lolita" in their free time."

"Within the group of Lolitas, there are suble differences. One faction prefers the "sweet Lolita" style-characterized by soft hues of pink, blue and cream. A growing number of fans are also exploring the "Gothic Lolita" style-a macabre take on the trend in which women dress themselves in ruffles and lace of all black."
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 09:04   Link #862
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
@RandomGuy: I mean will they go like: "Haruhi! In the flesh!" or "*insert any anime parody/quote here like: Heaven has forsaken us! - Lucky Star OVA". And not interested in girl stuff but boy stuff.
They mostly gossip about their favorite series, swap light novels, and quiz me about how much I know while I try to play dumb (speaking simple English to them helps, since I have to keep everything basic anyway). One of them is fairly close to how I'd picture a real-life Konata (short, plain, slightly overweight, and with a mole in the exact same spot), but the real ringleader of the group appears to be a more average-looking girl who talks as fast as Excel. I don't know if I'd call her the "brains", since she hasn't yet caught on to the fact that I'm directly responding—albeit in English—to her million-mile-a-minute Kansai-ben(!), but she does seem to sort of lead the conversations. (Maybe it's because they can't get a word in edgewise.) I guess I should cut them some slack, since they are only 14, but some of their antics are hilarious.

The shonen thing isn't that uncommon, especially among the series they like (Gintama, D. Gray-Man, Reborn, etc.), but it does reinforce somewhat my intuition that they're fujoshi and not just otaku. At one point I pointed to an illustration one of them had for some PC game full of bishounen, and asked what kind of game it was (action, strategy, etc.). They replied with a hesitant "Well, sort of, um... romance...". Perhaps it's telling that they talk openly of the one label but seem to dance around the other (though it could just be their age / being in school that keeps them speaking in hushed tones).

Quote:
P.S. Whatever you do, please don't show the English dub most people(at least those who like anime) outside Japan like RAW + English sub than English dub.
Aw, but where's the fun in that? It'd just be the show they've already watched with subtitles in a language they can't read all that well. Far better for them to hear the English version, even if they only pick out a few words here and there. (FWIW, my personal choice is One Piece, since I have some of that lying around anyhow. Streaming video sites aren't blocked at the school, however...)

Last edited by RandomGuy; 2008-11-20 at 09:19.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 09:27   Link #863
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
though I would expect them to scream anime parodies like Konata

Now if they were as close to as Konata in terms of.... otakuness (Unique girls)

@RandomGuy: Then show them subs better than the official one
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 09:40   Link #864
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
@RandomGuy: Then show them subs better than the official one
Methinks thou art missing the point...

And with regards to Lolita fashion, it's not so common as daywear except in the big cities, and even there it's mostly limited to the really fashion-centric areas (e.g. Harajuku in Tokyo, Shinsaibashi/Amerikamura in Osaka). I think a lot of the people who dress that way see themselves as hobbyists and wear the clothes around those places to show off (much like cosplay), but I have seen a few stray individuals wandering around areas like Tennoji and the city of Fujiidera in the full getup. So... I dunno.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 09:52   Link #865
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
@RandomGuy: I meant dubs sorry about that... there are better dubs than the official one.

I mean if "normal people" do something like this:

Subculture Harassment
Quote:
...many in mainstream Japan are contemptuous of the Lolita look. Fans of the style talk about being called stupid by strangers, getting mean looks and having chewing gum stuck to the backs of their dresses. Ms. Otani, the store clerk, says her clothes get so many stares that her boyfriend, who dresses in punk fashion, won't go out with her unless she wears something else.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 10:40   Link #866
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I mean if "normal people" do something like this:

Subculture Harassment
Wouldn't know about that, I'm afraid. Though that does sound completely in-character for Japan.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 12:43   Link #867
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
Methinks thou art missing the point...

And with regards to Lolita fashion, it's not so common as daywear except in the big cities, and even there it's mostly limited to the really fashion-centric areas (e.g. Harajuku in Tokyo, Shinsaibashi/Amerikamura in Osaka). I think a lot of the people who dress that way see themselves as hobbyists and wear the clothes around those places to show off (much like cosplay), but I have seen a few stray individuals wandering around areas like Tennoji and the city of Fujiidera in the full getup. So... I dunno.
Usually, with the good old Japanese herd mentality, you only see them in Harajuku/Akiba/American-Village (Amerikamura). Not even Shinsaibashi. Well, it's growing to be increasingly divisive in Japan, as it's not exactly a good image to carry...

On the other hand, proper grown-up college students are increasingly dressing like school students around the Kwansei Gakuin University area at times. I was there (Nishinomiya) thrice (on weekends, to boot). Must be Oharuhisama.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 13:22   Link #868
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Even the non-conformists in Japan tend to stick to rigid rules for their clique behavior (just a more extreme version of American cliques), like where to wear what. This isn't something alien to Westerners .... any "outsider" clique gets abuse hurled at it. Its just a bit surprising to hear that *any* Japanese would be so rude to "round peg vs square hole" behavior rather than just ignoring it but then the K-12 social experience is all about enforcing homogeneity.

Couple of random news articles:
1) Young lady with a killer knuckleball pitch offered spot on professional team.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0081120j2.html
She's bright, perky and reminds me of the sports girl archetype seen in anime.

2) Miyazaki keeps trying to pretend he's not part of the anime scene by chastising Aso.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081120...n_081120085127
Sometimes it seems like he spends a great deal of energy harumphing...
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 13:51   Link #869
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Well, he's certainly not a part of the Akihabara/otaku type "anime scene". I don't blame him for considering himself "above" it all.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 15:05   Link #870
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Its about like PBS saying "we're not television".... it just makes him look ridiculous.

So yeah, much as I like Miyazaki's work -- I think he's being absurd. I blame it on his age ( ).
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-20 at 17:42.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 20:12   Link #871
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Indeed, I'd read about Miyazaki's mindset on anime and how he sees it and himself (and now PM) a little while ago. He's stuffy. And I got the feeling that my peers at school felt the same way.

This past year I've also really fallen out of liking any of his movies anymore. o_x

(I love gosurori and warori...)
__________________
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 20:48   Link #872
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Indeed, I'd read about Miyazaki's mindset on anime and how he sees it and himself (and now PM) a little while ago. He's stuffy. And I got the feeling that my peers at school felt the same way.

This past year I've also really fallen out of liking any of his movies anymore. o_x

(I love gosurori and warori...)
I've never liked his movies. Too avantgarde. For me at least.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 20:59   Link #873
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Ah, really? Though his films are unique, I started feeling that they're all the same (that is, they're unique from other children's movies by other directors, but the Miyazaki films themselves are too similar). The first half of Gake no Ue no Ponyo was interesting, but I quickly lost interest the latter half, which is pretty consistent whenever I watch any of his films.

Has anyone had genghis kahn in Japan? I missed my chance in Hokkaido when I fell ill (most likely due to the Sapporo Brewery tour). I've heard it's delicious, though this menu just makes it sound funny...
__________________
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 21:04   Link #874
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Ah, really? Though his films are unique, I started feeling that they're all the same (that is, they're unique from other children's movies by other directors, but the Miyazaki films themselves are too similar). The first half of Gake no Ue no Ponyo was interesting, but I quickly lost interest the latter half, which is pretty consistent whenever I watch any of his films.

Has anyone had genghis kahn in Japan? I missed my chance in Hokkaido when I fell ill (most likely due to the Sapporo Brewery tour). I've heard it's delicious, though this menu just makes it sound funny...
Oh hell. Lolz. Like Tomoyo's English, only with the Yoshino Yuusuke treatment.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 21:14   Link #875
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Aye, about the only two Miyazaki films that have stuck with me are My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle .... was interesting but not a keeper for me. The rest just haven't fascinated me. No offense to people who love the other stuff...

"ghetto genghi khan bbq" ........... o this is so hilariously wrong...
It SOUNDS pretty much like Mongolian Grill except you cook it yourself.

The restaurant looks a lot like a place in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles where udon is a sort of do-it-yourself affair.
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-20 at 21:22. Reason: (d'oh corrected Howling Castle via Theowne)
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 21:17   Link #876
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Howling Castle
Howl's Moving Castle
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 21:23   Link #877
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Howls Moving Castle for some reason I enjoyed very much despite the obvious plot problems. As for Miyazaki films that have stuck with me the only two are Naussica and Mononoke.

Genghis Khan? Isn't that where you cook lamb meat and vegetables on a dome-shaped pan?
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 21:25   Link #878
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Howls Moving Castle for some reason I enjoyed very much despite the obvious plot problems. As for Miyazaki films that have stuck with me the only two are Naussica and Mononoke.

Genghis Khan? Isn't that where you cook lamb meat and vegetables on a dome-shaped pan?
That's what it is, really. Wonder what's the fuss about it.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 23:21   Link #879
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Visit the link ... the fuss is over the hilarity of the instructions at this diner.

I'm assuming it tastes pretty much like "mongolian grill" popular in the States (where you build your own pile of lamb and veggie combos with your own concoction of spice/drips and then the cooks cook it on a cast iron circle the size of a large sea turtle). If so, its probably pretty tasty.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 00:03   Link #880
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol now that's tasty.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.