AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-24, 05:20   Link #1061
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Shogi is a much more difficult board game then chess since you are able to recycle the opponent pieces that you have taken.
I hear that a super computer still can not out wit a pro in shogi because it has more possibe moves to consider then chess.
__________________
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 10:35   Link #1062
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
True, chess is "just about completely solved" but shogi's unique side-switching captured-piece drop rule ( mercenary paratroopers for the win) that was added in the 16th C. (?) makes it a far more computationally difficult problem. I'm still in the "learning good openings" stage but find the game fascinating and refreshing - the old regular chess games may move to the back of the closet.

Chinese chess is also interesting but one chess-sister at a time...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 12:05   Link #1063
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I just hate it when pros say, "Checkmate in 50 moves" when the game just started and they already won. I hate that!
__________________
Guernsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 20:43   Link #1064
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I just hate it when pros say, "Checkmate in 50 moves" when the game just started and they already won. I hate that!
That can easily happen with Shogi as well if the opponent is not up to par.
__________________
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:47   Link #1065
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
That’s pretty cool. I used to know how to play Shogi but I've completely forgotten. I need to relearn it.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 11:24   Link #1066
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88


The next thing that would happen is a Mikoshi making contest for everyone XD... maybe...
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 12:53   Link #1067
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
True, chess is "just about completely solved" but shogi's unique side-switching captured-piece drop rule ( mercenary paratroopers for the win) that was added in the 16th C. (?) makes it a far more computationally difficult problem. I'm still in the "learning good openings" stage but find the game fascinating and refreshing - the old regular chess games may move to the back of the closet.

Chinese chess is also interesting but one chess-sister at a time...
And baduk(or go) will never be solved, that game is so hard to get good at.
I didn't realize that Shogi, Xiangqi, and Janggi were different games, always thought they were the same game but with different name.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 08:48   Link #1068
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post


The next thing that would happen is a Mikoshi making contest for everyone XD... maybe...
WTF is this... a portable otaku shrine...
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 12:56   Link #1069
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post


The next thing that would happen is a Mikoshi making contest for everyone XD... maybe...
I don't know what to say..

It looks... I have never seen anything like this.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 13:37   Link #1070
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
Yeah I have no idea what that thing is. Although I'd like to have his famicon. My family has a lot of games but we haven't had a working famicon for a while.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 17:06   Link #1071
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post


The next thing that would happen is a Mikoshi making contest for everyone XD... maybe...
I'm not quite sure where one is supposed to put the offering, much less a candle or anything... :P

Interesting way to waste floorspace though...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 22:53   Link #1072
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Do they have suburbs in Japan?
__________________
Guernsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 03:30   Link #1073
kamalkhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Japanese Culture

Painting has been an art in Japan for a very long time: the brush is a traditional writing tool, and the extension of that to its use as an artist's tool was probably natural. Native Japanese painting techniques are still in use today, as well as techniques adopted from continental Asia and from the West.
kamalkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 03:55   Link #1074
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Do they have suburbs in Japan?
Yes, they do.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 08:32   Link #1075
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not quite sure where one is supposed to put the offering, much less a candle or anything... :P

Interesting way to waste floorspace though...
I don't think you even offer anything, you use e-offerings via the laptop. Just make sure there's WLAN first.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 21:25   Link #1076
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88














Girls dressed as maids carry a “mikoshi,” or portable shrine, during an event to promote the Akihabara district on Sunday. The mikoshi was decorated with objects representative of the district, such as manga, or comic books, laptop computers, toy robot models and video games.

Listed are (on the almost completed Akiba Mikoshi):
CPU
A Monitor & D-VHS
iPoD and other medias
Manga "NHK ni Yokoso" & Genshiken Eng version
Cellphone
Manga Magazine & Radio-controlled Model Car
A Case for PC
Laptop & A Hero Doll
Niku no Mansei & A Soldering Iron
Game, Comp, etc (with Tsuruya-san and Mikuru)
Family Computer (Famicom)
PSP Lucky☆Star Transistor Teaset
Other stuff I saw:
Maid uniform
A robot on top
Akiba Map
Something that looked like solar panels

__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!

Last edited by bhl88; 2009-04-29 at 21:39.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 00:57   Link #1077
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: C Natural, B Natural
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Ota-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post














Girls dressed as maids carry a “mikoshi,” or portable shrine, during an event to promote the Akihabara district on Sunday. The mikoshi was decorated with objects representative of the district, such as manga, or comic books, laptop computers, toy robot models and video games.

Listed are (on the almost completed Akiba Mikoshi):
CPU
A Monitor & D-VHS
iPoD and other medias
Manga "NHK ni Yokoso" & Genshiken Eng version
Cellphone
Manga Magazine & Radio-controlled Model Car
A Case for PC
Laptop & A Hero Doll
Niku no Mansei & A Soldering Iron
Game, Comp, etc (with Tsuruya-san and Mikuru)
Family Computer (Famicom)
PSP Lucky☆Star Transistor Teaset
Other stuff I saw:
Maid uniform
A robot on top
Akiba Map
Something that looked like solar panels


Too bad I wasnt able to watch the actual parade...was too busy being an

otaku and playing games
Ota-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 01:19   Link #1078
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
well, they certainly *looked* like they were having a good time with the mikoshi event.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 02:12   Link #1079
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I wish I could see it though. (Must pay respects to the shrine for good luck)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 08:35   Link #1080
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Well, according to Rhoads Murphey in his "A History of Asia", Buddhism came to Japan via Korea. I guess it's more of a historical legacy than real cultural ones. The ties between Korea and Japan were at their strongest before 1000 C.E. In fact, many Chinese customs reached Japan through Korea, I believe.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.