AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-26, 00:20   Link #1561
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is why its a "good thing" that all those people hand out advertising toilet tissue packs on the street... and why one should accept them
I never use those for cleaning myself, for some reason
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 02:37   Link #1562
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Wink

Do what we see in ANIME reflects what JAPANESE CULTURE is like?????

Ex. Girls sent more love letters compared to boys.
Girls make lunches to the person they like.
Girls confess their feelings more often than boys.
It's normal to be called an "Idiot" by a friend. ( Its not unusually in ours' though).
Do girls really that concern in their weight especially during PE.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 02:42   Link #1563
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Do what we see in ANIME reflects what JAPANESE CULTURE is like?????

Ex. Girls sent more love letters compared to boys.
Girls make lunches to the person they like.
Girls confess their feelings more often than boys.
It's normal to be called an "Idiot" by a friend. ( Its not unusually in ours' though).
Do girls really that concern in their weight especially during PE.
..... Not sure why you get culture here, but.....

1) Yes
2) Yes (mainly because boys can't make their own)
3) Uhm.... not sure (I went to a Girls' High School, and Junior High was in Korea).
4) Probably not. Baka isn't as harsh a word as idiot (to me, at least).
5) Don't all girls do? I still freak out when I get past 49kg/105 lb (Height: 165 cm, 5'5").

Last edited by Sumeragi; 2010-11-26 at 02:53.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 02:57   Link #1564
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
5) Don't all girls do? I still freak out when I get past 49kg/105 lb (Height: 165 cm, 5'5").
49kg is actually 107.8 lbs.
For reference, the Canadian Red Cross doesn't allow anyone under 50KG to donate blood if I remember right. I imagine the standards for that are less stringent in Japan.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 02:59   Link #1565
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
49kg is actually 107.8 lbs.
Probably because I keep thinking of my old weight, which was below 48kg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
For reference, the Canadian Red Cross doesn't allow anyone under 50KG to donate blood if I remember right. I imagine the standards for that are less stringent in Japan.
Probably because height isn't included.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 06:29   Link #1566
Leo Keichi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gaijinland
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Do what we see in ANIME reflects what JAPANESE CULTURE is like?????

Ex. Girls sent more love letters compared to boys.
Girls make lunches to the person they like.
Girls confess their feelings more often than boys.
It's normal to be called an "Idiot" by a friend. ( Its not unusually in ours' though).
Do girls really that concern in their weight especially during PE.
Fiction is never exactly like reality, but here is my guess:

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) From what I've been told, yes.
4) Well, at least between young guys, I guess it's normal. I surely called my friends and was called things like that by them all the time.
5) Girls are concerned about their weight, in pretty much every culture.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 08:01   Link #1567
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
Fiction is never exactly like reality, but here is my guess:

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) From what I've been told, yes.
4) Well, at least between young guys, I guess it's normal. I surely called my friends and was called things like that by them all the time.
5) Girls are concerned about their weight, in pretty much every culture.
We can thus conclude anime is at least 75% accurate in depicting Japanese culture

One thing I've been wondering is if people still practice (not live at least) ancient samurai customs. I imagine that they do but I'm wondering if there are actual clubs there that do this sort of thing and how popular the practice of ancient customs in general (not just samurai) is there.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 11:44   Link #1568
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
It depends on which ancient customs you're thinking of. Many traditions in Japan descend from 'ancient customs'. Not infrequently the people don't even know why they do what they do (e.g. many Shinto practices).

The powerful family clan structure still influences who runs what in Japan and those descend from the old Shogunate factions of days gone by.

And... anyone who think they grok Japanese culture from anime (much less the language) is going to be considered rude and ill-mannered in real Japan - if not just crazy. Imagine learning your "American customs" from watching American cartoons.... O.o. Yeah, you can pick up some memes but you'll be poorly served trying to act out that stuff with the locals.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 07:45   Link #1569
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The powerful family clan structure still influences who runs what in Japan and those descend from the old Shogunate factions of days gone by.
As can be seen by the past 10 Prime Ministers until Kan came to power. Almost all of them were sons/grandons/sons-in-law of former Prime Ministers.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 13:27   Link #1570
tabito
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
As can be seen by the past 10 Prime Ministers until Kan came to power. Almost all of them were sons/grandons/sons-in-law of former Prime Ministers.
No offense, but what you say might be an exaggeration.

List of past 10 PMs (*:son/grandson/son-in-law of former PM)

-52nd Tomiichi Murayama
-53rd Ryutaro Hashimoto
-54th Keizo Obuchi
-55th Yoshiro Mori
-56th Jun-ichiro Koizumi
*57th Shinzo Abe
*58th Yasuo Fukuda
*59th Taro Aso
*60th Yukio Hatoyama
-61st Naoto Kan

I totally agree hereditary is strongly dominant in Japan, '4 out of 10’ is massive number, but not 'almost all'. 
tabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 13:48   Link #1571
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Well... to be honest I was more focused on the corporations of Japan than the government bureaucracy dynasties. The corporations have names and controlling interests that stretch "long ways back" to powerful clans of the old days. But yeah, that's one reason Tokyo U. is the "utopian destination" in many anime stories. Acceptance to that is a chance to enter the powerful and affluent government bureaucracy classes.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 04:21   Link #1572
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Guys, I have this next curiosity regarding addressing peoples name ( adding "kun, san, chan )"which I also always encounter in all anime that is:

My question is using those additives ( kun san, chan) in names,which would you add when calling that person example, a stranger, your classmate, friend, closefriend, best friend, boy/girlfriend and husband/wife.....?

Next, incest marriage are allowed between relatives in what level of degree, example, if l not mistaking, 2nd cousins are allowed to get married to their other 2nd cousin? How about in Japan????
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 04:42   Link #1573
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabito View Post
I totally agree hereditary is strongly dominant in Japan, '4 out of 10’ is massive number, but not 'almost all'. 
I plead guilty to exaggeration. I counted political families, and also forgot the colorless prime ministers of the early 1990's. (when I was in the US).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... to be honest I was more focused on the corporations of Japan than the government bureaucracy dynasties. The corporations have names and controlling interests that stretch "long ways back" to powerful clans of the old days.
Not sure if current Japanese corporations compare to the zaibatsus of old and the chaebols.


Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Guys, I have this next curiosity regarding addressing peoples name ( adding "kun, san, chan )"which I also always encounter in all anime that is:

My question is using those additives ( kun san, chan) in names,which would you add when calling that person example, a stranger, your classmate, friend, closefriend, best friend, boy/girlfriend and husband/wife.....?
That's way complex an issue (since individual preferences take up a large portion as to what you call the other). However, for strangers it's usually safe to go with -san.


Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Next, incest marriage are allowed between relatives in what level of degree, example, if l not mistaking, 2nd cousins are allowed to get married to their other 2nd cousin? How about in Japan????
1st cousins. Example would be the current Prime Minister, Kan Naoto.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 12:07   Link #1574
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Clarification... none of that (cousin marriage) is "incest" by legal definition in most places. "Incest" is a purely legal term that depends on where you are standing. It really has no scientific meaning (rather like "underage attraction" does not equal "pedophile" despite morons attempting to equate the two in their irrational zealotry ).

First cousin marriage is legal in over half the United States and in most of the world, btw. Any taboo exists purely because when the migration to the cities started in the Industrial Age, you came to be considered "hick/country" if you had married your cousin. In a rural area you were usually related in SOME way to virtually everyone.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 11:46   Link #1575
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
So I finally tried umeboshi. I can see why the Japanese tend to think foreigners will misperceive its taste, I really didn't expect that flavor. Very difficult to describe, but quite delicious.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 13:48   Link #1576
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
So I finally tried umeboshi. I can see why the Japanese tend to think foreigners will misperceive its taste, I really didn't expect that flavor. Very difficult to describe, but quite delicious.
Advanced flavors for neophytes to try:
umeboshi
natto
daikon
sea urchin
kimchee (actually Korean but popular in Japan)
fermented tofu (often spicy)

About the only thing on that list I "gird my loins" before eating these days is sea urchin (because sometimes it tastes like it was soaked in rubbing alcohol and the texture o.O) and natto (a really unique taste... really).

Sake (the "rice wine") seems to put a lot of neophytes off as well because it is rather unrelated to the taste of other alcohol drinks.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 21:09   Link #1577
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Advanced flavors for neophytes to try:
umeboshi
natto
daikon
sea urchin
kimchee (actually Korean but popular in Japan)
fermented tofu (often spicy)

About the only thing on that list I "gird my loins" before eating these days is sea urchin (because sometimes it tastes like it was soaked in rubbing alcohol and the texture o.O) and natto (a really unique taste... really).

Sake (the "rice wine") seems to put a lot of neophytes off as well because it is rather unrelated to the taste of other alcohol drinks.
About the only thing worse than natto is cheonggukjang, the Korean counterpart. At least natto doesn't smell that much. As for the rest.... I love all of them

How do you like your natto, Vexx?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 21:55   Link #1578
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
About the only thing worse than natto is cheonggukjang, the Korean counterpart. At least natto doesn't smell that much. As for the rest.... I love all of them

How do you like your natto, Vexx?
I don't know that I'll ever "like" natto... I've just gotten to the point I won't refuse it for politeness sake. Any time I encounter a different kind, I'm willing to give it a try (but I'm like that about any food on the planet pretty much).

If you put natto on top of rice with other stuff, you get to the point you barely notice it. I actually like a kind of spicy fermented bean curd as a rice topping - for a long time my wife's family (japanese-texans) thought it was natto til I updated them. I'm guessing it was the only fermented soy-thing Grandpa could get back in the 50s in Texas so he just told them it was natto.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 00:44   Link #1579
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Advanced flavors for neophytes to try:
umeboshi
natto
daikon
sea urchin
kimchee (actually Korean but popular in Japan)
fermented tofu (often spicy)

About the only thing on that list I "gird my loins" before eating these days is sea urchin (because sometimes it tastes like it was soaked in rubbing alcohol and the texture o.O) and natto (a really unique taste... really).

Sake (the "rice wine") seems to put a lot of neophytes off as well because it is rather unrelated to the taste of other alcohol drinks.
All the above are fine for me EXCEPT natto. Sorry, inner Kansai-jin at work.

And I prefer my sake closer to sweet. Some say it's womanly, especially the Tokyoite One-cup Ozeki types.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 00:46   Link #1580
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
My wife prefers unfiltered sake... I'm more indiscriminate, any sake has some value in some situation
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.