AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-06, 17:30   Link #1901
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
What kind of social movement?
A type of protest essentially and calling out to the politician. Basically Japan has whole has never really made their politician accountable. An example I could give is Muneo Suzuki, I believe that he is rather a corrupt politician and despite being known about his shady nature he seem to win his election. Though I don't follow Japanese politic that much so I could be wrong about him.
Old 2011-12-06, 17:37   Link #1902
flying ^

woah

looks like drug scene is thriving in japan

..... and they found a perfect excuse

Quote:
グループ内の多くは宮城県出身で「震災以降、仕事がなかった」などと動機を供述している。
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00509-san-soci
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 21:18   Link #1903
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I find that unbelievable and unlikely but then agian, I am not sure how severe the drug problem is.
Old 2011-12-08, 21:28   Link #1904
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We could dispute the term "thriving" as the article is simply about one drug bust. The yakuza gangs do make some of their money off of drugs naturally enough.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 21:43   Link #1905
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
A type of protest essentially and calling out to the politician. Basically Japan has whole has never really made their politician accountable. An example I could give is Muneo Suzuki, I believe that he is rather a corrupt politician and despite being known about his shady nature he seem to win his election. Though I don't follow Japanese politic that much so I could be wrong about him.
If there is the Japanese media sure isn't reporting on it, very vanilla feel to the journalism over there. There were protests against the nuclear industry, a sort of occupy Tokyo and farmers against the new TPP treaty. Of the three only the TPP protests got a lot of headway in the papers/tv from what I saw.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 00:55   Link #1906
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Eighth cousin to Crown Prince Naruhito and Prince Prince Akishino. Met them personally for about 15 minutes or so. I also spent some time with Mako and Kako, because of Gakushuin-related stuff.

"Sumeragi" should tip people off
Then you are perhaps the best person to answer this age old question :-

Does the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan still exist today ?

I believe them to be of either Bronze or Iron Age relics but somehow cannot imagine them to have survived intact into modern ages. You can try to convince me otherwise here.
Old 2011-12-09, 01:24   Link #1907
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Then you are perhaps the best person to answer this age old question :-

Does the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan still exist today ?

I believe them to be of either Bronze or Iron Age relics but somehow cannot imagine them to have survived intact into modern ages. You can try to convince me otherwise here.
Pretty hard question, but I'll answer as best as I can.

Yata no Kagami and Yasakani no Magatama almost certainly exists, given their constant appearances (although in cloth) at the accessions and enthronements of the Tennos. However, Murakumo-no-Tsurugi seems to be a replica, with stories of how it was lost in the Battle of Dan-no-ura (Source: The Tale of the Heike) or stolen and "returned".

What you have to consider is that the introduction of bronze and iron to Japan was done very late when compared to the continent, being at around 500 BC. Combined with how Japan managed to avoid massive destruction of its capital and sacred shrines (except for a few battles, and even then the Imperial Palace survived), it is highly possible for the Regalia to be existing up to the modern age.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 20:19   Link #1908
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No culture is perfect .... some issues with single women in Japan struggling to stay afloat financially (of course, there's a lot of guys out there struggling as well).

http://www.majiroxnews.com/2011/12/0...or-says-study/

You'd think they'd figure out that combining incomes is a Good Thing but its probably difficult to find rent lords that don't harumph at 2, 3, or 4 men/women sharing a place.
Old 2011-12-09, 20:22   Link #1909
Sumeragi
Banned

One problem I see..... The Social Security system in Japan is already overtaxed. Just how is anyone going to reform it to allow greater coverage?
Old 2011-12-09, 21:58   Link #1910
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
One problem I see..... The Social Security system in Japan is already overtaxed. Just how is anyone going to reform it to allow greater coverage?
It'd make more sense to look at the underlying problems (why are they single, why are they insufficiently paid for cost of living, etc) ... but, just like the US, that would involve shifts in cultural attitudes and trends that many might resist.
Old 2011-12-12, 09:46   Link #1911
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Art of Bento

I'm glad I never had to compete in lunchbox designs like these mothers do. Sounds like a pretty stressful and competitive activity, especially when the hours invested in the preparation result in a just a few moments of lunchtime glee.

I was especially impressed with the Indiana Jones portrait and all its seaweed stubble.
Old 2011-12-27, 09:22   Link #1912
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

What is up with the common theme of sprinkling water out of a bucket in front of your house?
It does not seem to have anything to do with gardening, as there are usually no plants involved (it's more likely there are stones / the road) and it does not look like the purpose is to get rid of the water. That would be easily achieved by emptying the bucket, rather than wasting it one scoop at a time.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 09:28   Link #1913
Sumeragi
Banned

- Conditioning: Cooling things down, with an average decrease of one degree Celsius in temperature by just sprinkling the water twice a day.
- Shinto: Purifying the family environment.
Old 2011-12-27, 09:48   Link #1914
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

The ritualistic purpose is not hard to guess, but I've always thought that it was born from the practical need to prevent dust from flying into the shop.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 09:50   Link #1915
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The ritualistic purpose is not hard to guess, but I've always thought that it was born from the practical need to prevent dust from flying into the shop.
Well, that too, but that's not really a reason in this modern day.
Old 2011-12-27, 09:56   Link #1916
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Well, that too, but that's not really a reason in this modern day.
Any more than there is a need to "cool down" the shop entrance in an era of air-conditioning. I just thought that the question is more about the origins of the practice than its practical purpose.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 10:00   Link #1917
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Any more than there is a need to "cool down" the shop entrance in an era of air-conditioning. I just thought that the question is more about the origins of the practice than its practical purpose.
One degree down is a lot of energy conserved. There is a large practical application to it.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:02   Link #1918
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I would assume the last thing you'd want to do on a hot day, is raising humidity though.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 10:07   Link #1919
Sumeragi
Banned

*Shakes her head*

Just trust me on this, it does wonders. I rather use water than use the artificial iciness of an air conditioner. It's only a taste that those who have done it would know.
Old 2011-12-27, 12:14   Link #1920
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heck, I water down our entry ways to control dust and cool the areas in the summer... and I'm not even in Japan. There's also the aesthetic that everything just tends to look nicer "after a short shower" I suppose.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture