AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-10-07, 09:15   Link #41
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessNites View Post
If you are using firefox, try chatzilla. IT is a free extension built for firefox and supports most basic needs.
Chatzilla was built for the entire mozilla series of browers, not just firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binsentsu View Post
A noob question what is irc clients? what does it do????
A program that allows you to connect to IRC (internet relay chat) networks so that you can talk with the other people who use the network.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 10:55   Link #42
martino
makes no files now

I'm using ChatZilla ATM, but sometimes I just need more features at my explosal...
Old 2006-10-08, 08:22   Link #43
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Chatzilla was built for the entire mozilla series of browers, not just firefox.

A program that allows you to connect to IRC (internet relay chat) networks so that you can talk with the other people who use the network.
I see, I thought that it can speed up the downloads..
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 10:57   Link #44
basket
World's first BBSing cat

Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binsentsu View Post
I see, I thought that it can speed up the downloads..
It can if you can't use BitTorrent, and also depending on which country you're in (for example, if you're at a US university, you might probably get much faster speeds from IRC bots than from BT - like about 1 MB/s or so).

Another client you could try (for Windows) is Xchat, although the official version is trialware. There are several free versions though such as SilvereX and there used to be a comparison page at Wikipedia that might have gotten deleted.
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 06:11   Link #45
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket View Post
It can if you can't use BitTorrent, and also depending on which country you're in (for example, if you're at a US university, you might probably get much faster speeds from IRC bots than from BT - like about 1 MB/s or so).

Another client you could try (for Windows) is Xchat, although the official version is trialware. There are several free versions though such as SilvereX and there used to be a comparison page at Wikipedia that might have gotten deleted.
So it can also download torent files like bittorrent?
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 13:46   Link #46
Poseidal
Knight of Cheome

Not at all. The IRC system is completely different, and is an alternative way of downaloading; some groups have people set up an IRC server 'bot' that sends files requested to the people who request them. Often, the speeds will be faster on IRC than torrenting, though mileage may vary.

The main disadvantage is that it's not a peer to peer system, so many people will be downloading only from a single server and if that goes down (due to too much access), the file becomes unavailable from that source.
Poseidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 16:31   Link #47
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

www.hydrairc.com
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 12:05   Link #48

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma Send a message via Skype™ to Karma
I assume you are using Windows, and in that case use X-Chat. http://silverex.org This guy makes a freeware Windows version of the free (for Linux) program X-Chat. It's full featured and I've always used it over Mirc, partly because it's free, bit mainly because I think it's a better program.
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 17:48   Link #49
Poseidal
Knight of Cheome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
I assume you are using Windows, and in that case use X-Chat. http://silverex.org This guy makes a freeware Windows version of the free (for Linux) program X-Chat. It's full featured and I've always used it over Mirc, partly because it's free, bit mainly because I think it's a better program.
I second this; I think it's called X-Chat 2 or something. Remember to untick all of the scripting plugins if you don't have the language on your computer or they can cause the client to crash.
Poseidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 14:44   Link #50
orangemako

best irc client?

Hi,

I've never used IRC before. What's the best client? i use windows and kubuntu

Kevin
orangemako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 14:55   Link #51
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Never used anything other then the normal one. Never saw a reason to switch. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 15:28   Link #52
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

mIRC is the most common client on Windows (I'm not claiming it's the best; but at least it's the best-known).

For Kubuntu I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Never used anything other then the normal one. Never saw a reason to switch. :O
That's an extremely ambiguous comment. What the heck is the "normal one" when referring to an IRC client? You can replace "IRC client" with anything else and it still wouldn't make any sense.

"What car do you drive?" -- "I never drive anything other than the normal one"
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 15:30   Link #53
martino
makes no files now

Maybe he meant Kubuntu's IRC client, which I think would be good old X-Chat.
Old 2007-10-12, 16:09   Link #54
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Pidgin. It's versatile (supports lots of different protocols, not only IRC), it has a really polished, friendly and well-organized GUI, and it's open source. It's the messaging client of choice for most of us Linux users... well, mostly GNOME users, I suppose KDE guys can use Kopete, but it was really buggy the last time I tried it.

EDIT: I just checked my openSUSE installation and GTK under KDE looks quite good (contrary to Qt under GNOME ), so I guess there won't be many integration problems.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 16:13   Link #55
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
mIRC is the most common client on Windows (I'm not claiming it's the best; but at least it's the best-known).

For Kubuntu I don't know.

That's an extremely ambiguous comment. What the heck is the "normal one" when referring to an IRC client? You can replace "IRC client" with anything else and it still wouldn't make any sense.

"What car do you drive?" -- "I never drive anything other than the normal one"
Oh I always had the impression mirc was the original. Never cared look further since it did its thing. D:
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 16:20   Link #56
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Oh I always had the impression mirc was the original. Never cared look further since it did its thing. D:
IRC is a protocol, and mIRC is a client program that communicates in that protocol. They are completely different entities and have completely different developers.

For KDE, I'd recommend Pidgin right away. If you're good at console-based stuff, then irssi has never failed me.

Trivia: AIM's protocol is actually called OSCAR.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 16:23   Link #57
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

One last thing: if you plan on installing Pidgin on any *buntu flavor, get it from GetDeb. It's not on the official repositories, and the Pidgin homepage only provides the download for the source code.

Old 2007-10-12, 16:24   Link #58
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
One last thing: if you plan on installing Pidgin on any *buntu flavor, get it from GetDeb. It's not on the official repositories, and the Pidgin homepage only provides the download for the source code.
So *that*'s why I've been having so much pain getting that on Ubuntu.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 16:26   Link #59
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
So *that*'s why I've been having so much pain getting that on Ubuntu.
Yes, the Pidgin developers have stated, somewhat confusingly, that it's the responsibility of each distro's community to provide their packaging... I'm not particularly fond of this policy myself, but whatever, compiling Pidgin from source is not something terribly difficult in my experience, either (I just did it today to upgrade from 2.1.0 to 2.2.1).

Old 2007-10-12, 18:22   Link #60
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
If I was using KDE I'd shy away from Pidgin. I like all my apps to be using the same toolkit for uniformity in form and function. Also pidgin isn't a great IRC client. X-Chat is a better GTK client.

Go with Konversation if you're using KDE. Its a really nice and simple graphical client. If you want something more complicated go with kvirc.

Personally I like irssi.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irc, software