AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2006-11-28, 08:05   Link #41
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Black Friday is the Friday following Thanksgiving (the 4th Thursday of November each year).

It's the biggest shopping day in the country. People wait in line for hours to get into malls, shops, etc. to kick-off the holiday season of shopping.

It's total insanity some places. Malls are DEATH. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

Something priced $25 on Wednesday may be priced $60 on Black Friday, just two days later, to take advantage of the fact that people will buy ANYTHING at ANY price on Black Friday...

Black Friday pretty much epitomizes the commercialization of Christmas in America.

>_>

Well... At least it really, really boosts the economy on that day. Usually.

Always look on the bright side of life. ^_^

Hoo-ah!

Avatar v. 33.0: 101st Airborne Division [Air Assault]. The "Screaming Eagles" Division.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 18:12   Link #42
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
After two years straight working this day, I can safely say that I never want to experience this day ever again.

congrats to those who got good deals. Working caused me to miss out on a $50 250GB external hard drive.. which pisses me off like nothing else.
$50 250GB external hard drive!!!??? I want that!!!
Anyway, I spent 40 minutes trying to get a parking spot and that was about 11 o'clock in the morning on Black Friday. I thought I just wanted to buy this thing I saw on internet. Plus, I wanted to return something. The store did not have I wanted so I decided to keep the stuff I was going for return. Basically, I did not get anything after spending 40 minutes looking for a parking spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
Half the parking lot was full at my Best Buy at 8 PM the night before.

So I went to Circuit City and camped there from 8 til 5 the next morning and got a laptop, a computer, and some random free/$5 stuff.

It was totally worth it.
I admire you guys' shopping spirit.
Old 2006-11-28, 18:28   Link #43
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Skype™ to Azrael_Azure
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Black Friday is the Friday following Thanksgiving (the 4th Thursday of November each year).

It's the biggest shopping day in the country. People wait in line for hours to get into malls, shops, etc. to kick-off the holiday season of shopping.

It's total insanity some places. Malls are DEATH. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

Something priced $25 on Wednesday may be priced $60 on Black Friday, just two days later, to take advantage of the fact that people will buy ANYTHING at ANY price on Black Friday...

Black Friday pretty much epitomizes the commercialization of Christmas in America.

>_>

Well... At least it really, really boosts the economy on that day. Usually.

Always look on the bright side of life. ^_^

Hoo-ah!
Damn, if I had known I'd have crossed the border just to get some cheap deals. hahah.

"Limb by limb, tooth by tooth. Tearing up inside of me. Every day, every hour, I wish that I was bullet proof."
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 20:43   Link #44
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
$50 250GB external hard drive!!!??? I want that!!!
Anyway, I spent 40 minutes trying to get a parking spot and that was about 11 o'clock in the morning on Black Friday. I thought I just wanted to buy this thing I saw on internet. Plus, I wanted to return something. The store did not have I wanted so I decided to keep the stuff I was going for return. Basically, I did not get anything after spending 40 minutes looking for a parking spot.

I admire you guys' shopping spirit.
It's not quite the shopping spirit as much as it is being cheap and desperate =P
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 22:24   Link #45
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Isn't that kind of backwards? The point of Black Friday is the deals are cheaper. Since the papers advertise the deals a week in advance, everyone knows exactly what kind of deals there will be and plans their shopping accordingly. I've never seen someone pay more for something on Black Friday. Though, admittedly, the only thing I bought this year was a corded dremel (battery goes out too fast on the non-corded version) for ten bucks and a copy of the board game Arkham Horror for retail ($49.99).
Old 2006-11-28, 23:53   Link #46
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Isn't that kind of backwards? The point of Black Friday is the deals are cheaper. Since the papers advertise the deals a week in advance, everyone knows exactly what kind of deals there will be and plans their shopping accordingly. I've never seen someone pay more for something on Black Friday. Though, admittedly, the only thing I bought this year was a corded dremel (battery goes out too fast on the non-corded version) for ten bucks and a copy of the board game Arkham Horror for retail ($49.99).
The more popular the item, the higher the price. Simple supply and demand.

Remember Tickle Me Elmo from a few years back? Stores were making a killing on them (if they were lucky enough to have any in-stock).

Stores are smart, though. They know how to get rid of their stock that isn't projected to really "sell." Lower the price.

Most deals are on things that aren't projected to be big sellers, while things that are projected to go faster than Justin Gatlin on steroids get their prices boosted.

Hoo-ah!

Avatar v. 33.0: 101st Airborne Division [Air Assault]. The "Screaming Eagles" Division.
Old 2006-11-29, 00:10   Link #47
guess

Quote:
The more popular the item, the higher the price. Simple supply and demand.

Remember Tickle Me Elmo from a few years back? Stores were making a killing on them (if they were lucky enough to have any in-stock).

Stores are smart, though. They know how to get rid of their stock that isn't projected to really "sell." Lower the price.

Most deals are on things that aren't projected to be big sellers, while things that are projected to go faster than Justin Gatlin on steroids get their prices boosted.

Hoo-ah!
How true. This is why I can't really find stuff I want on any sale, big or small. What I need is usually not there or the price is the same as usual because they are the kind of stuff that can be sold easily without cutting price. If the stores don't have to cut the price to sell (or sell more) products, they won't. The stuff that has lower price when on sale is really not that good. For example, getting extremely cheap laptops may seem to be a great deal but they are usually very simple computers. I wouldn't buy them because they don't serve the purpose in my case. The sophisticated ones are NEVER on sale. I hope I am not misunderstanding what you mean.
Old 2006-11-29, 10:35   Link #48
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
How true. This is why I can't really find stuff I want on any sale, big or small. What I need is usually not there or the price is the same as usual because they are the kind of stuff that can be sold easily without cutting price. If the stores don't have to cut the price to sell (or sell more) products, they won't. The stuff that has lower price when on sale is really not that good. For example, getting extremely cheap laptops may seem to be a great deal but they are usually very simple computers. I wouldn't buy them because they don't serve the purpose in my case. The sophisticated ones are NEVER on sale. I hope I am not misunderstanding what you mean.
Yeah, that's exactly what I am saying. Sometimes the big sellers even will sell for higher if it is projected to sell EXTREMELY well and the quantity available is very, very limited.

The MSRP is just that. A Manufacturer's "Suggested" Retail Price.

Hoo-ah!

Old 2006-12-01, 04:43   Link #49
kayos
RETIRED

xbox 360 was on sale at amazon.com for $100 on black friday
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 07:59   Link #50
JagdPanther

O.o

What did Amazon do, steal them?

LOL

Hoo-ah!

Old 2008-11-30, 22:28   Link #51
karasuma

Black Friday Mayhem

For the uninitiated, black friday traditionally is the 1st day of Xmas shopping in US. Retailers usually have a couple deep discount items to lure shoppers into shopping spirit. Overtime, this became more and more of a herd mentality as shoppers go for the best deal.

Fighting for Guiter hero

50inch Plasma TV

Xbox 360

Hawaii

Shopper passout

Funny
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 22:48   Link #52
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
For the uninitiated, black friday traditionally is the 1st day of Xmas shopping in US. Retailers usually have a couple deep discount items to lure shoppers into shopping spirit. Overtime, this became more and more of a herd mentality as shoppers go for the best deal.

Fighting for Guiter hero

50inch Plasma TV

Xbox 360

Hawaii

Shopper passout

Funny
In Singapore, it happens at EVERY kind of clearance sale at the Singapore Expo.

It happens in Seoul too, every weekend. EVERY weekend. Somewhere, somehow, in Seoul.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 23:00   Link #53
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
In Singapore, it happens at EVERY kind of clearance sale at the Singapore Expo.

It happens in Seoul too, every weekend. EVERY weekend. Somewhere, somehow, in Seoul.
It is once a year event in US. So, it is kinda interesting..
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 23:10   Link #54
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

How much dead this year?
! staff and 2 customers, or there was others.

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 23:48   Link #55
Shadow Kira01

Although I am not very knowledgeable about the situation, but from what I learned, a Wal-Mart staff had died over the traditional American Black Friday shopping spree. Not sure how it happened though, I mean.. People dying over shopping?
Old 2008-11-30, 23:49   Link #56
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Although I am not very knowledgeable about the situation, but from what I learned, a Wal-Mart staff had died over the traditional American Black Friday shopping spree. Not sure how it happened though, I mean.. People dying over shopping?
Must have been trampled to death.
Old 2008-11-30, 23:51   Link #57
CrazyPerson

Wal-mart:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=6353623

Toys 'R' Us

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ire&id=6529687

I was incredibly shocked when I saw these two things on the news. To actually ignore the fact that you're STEPPING on someone and keep shopping.

The Toys 'R' Us is kind of scary too. I mean, honestly, why do you have guns going to a toy store?
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 00:11   Link #58
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
I was incredibly shocked when I saw these two things on the news. To actually ignore the fact that you're STEPPING on someone and keep shopping.

The Toys 'R' Us is kind of scary too. I mean, honestly, why do you have guns going to a toy store?
It happened quite often when a crow is in panic in a crowed place like stade, and something happen.
For the 2 idiots at the Toy""R""Us, if they shooted someone for toy, I don't want to think of what they could have done in others stressful situation ( Rush hour family problem, etc...)

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 00:14   Link #59
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
Wal-mart:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=6353623

Toys 'R' Us

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ire&id=6529687

That's how stampedes happen.
Old 2008-12-01, 02:46   Link #60
Clarste
Human

Yes, the shoppers broke down the door, trampled a guy to death, and then complained when the store decided to close because the shoppers had just killed someone (and vandalized some property).
Clarste is online now   Reply With Quote