AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2006-10-30, 05:21   Link #21
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichijou View Post
much the same as the latter i watched the first season of lupin the third and really enjoyed it, though my only issue was the lack of a story arc. seeing as season two is quite a bit more lengthy, i was wondering if like it's predecessor it's stand alone episodes only or are there any story arcs?
I've also seen the 1st season of Lupin III: it's fantastic; sometimes one forgets it's a 1971 series!

The 155 (or so) eps 2nd season also goes the same way. It doesn't have any particular story arcs. But its "stand alone eps" are also very good and well written. I advise you to go and watch it.
Old 2007-01-02, 04:31   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've been watching Lupin III recently and I'm really shocked that some of these episodes ever aired. I'm watching HK bootlegs so I don't know if the episodes I'm seeing are the same as what was released in the US. (Yeah you don't need to say a thing about HK bootlegs, but there are an awful lot of episodes and they're cheap.) There's some really surprising material. For example in series 2, episode 34, "Lupin Becomes a Vampire" we meet Jesus' vampiric sister. Then there is episode 65, "Lupin's Enemy is Lupin" where we see a girl stripped naked and fondled by a tentacle! On TV?!

You can see why I'm a bit surprised that episodes like these actually aired. As far as I have learned, only a single episode wasn't aired on TV: episode 3, "Hitler's Legacy" which was banned because of Nazi imagery.

This leads me to ask a question that I hope someone else can answer for me. Does anyone know how many episodes weren't aired in the US? Of the rest, were any edited? Did they really show that Jesus had a twin sister who was born a vampire?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 15:31   Link #23
Cheshire Cat

Lupin the 3rd is awesome...but then I like history so it's always fun to see them poke fun at certain historical figures or their descendants...

I'm guessing the ladies don't like it because it's an old anime and the art style reflects that (but then the art style is what makes it so awesome to me) and there's not much romance in it...but whatever, let them watch Wedding Peach or something...

No offense to the ladies here, I'm just joking around...
Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 18:23   Link #24
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've just finished watching Lupin III second series and started the third series. At this time I am filled with a sense of retrospective for the show. I find it interesting that each series has its own distinct character.

The first series was largely marked by bizarre technological advances or other outrageous supervillanous plotlines. I hardly liked the series much, but at least it got better towards the end. After watching the first series I only barely had the interested to start watching the second, but I am glad that I did.

The second series moved from strange incidents in Japan to a series of thefts around the world. The Lupin gang have become globetrotters trying to steal treasures all around the world. Curiously the second series began with a reunion of the cast who claim to have broken up after the first series and took a 7 year vacation. This is curious because after the first episode all the writers seem to have forgotten about that 7 year vacation. Later episodes refer to events supposedly taking place 5 or 7 years before the current episode and they blatantly ignore that continuity.

This second series presents a much more bumbling Lupin who often relies on good luck to survive and frequenly loses his loot through bad luck. He also spends most of the series chasing after Fujiko and getting taken advantage of her again, and again, and again. You'd think he'd eventually learn better, but he never does.

Of particular note in the second series there were two episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki. He makes it clear exactly why he is the master. When I got to these episodes I never had any trouble recognizing them. The character designs were more in line with his personal work and the animation quality is better than most of what is on TV today. Just brilliant stuff, but even more amazing is the way that he writes the character's personalities. As written by Miyazaki I finally understood the Lupin and Fujiko relationship for the first time. He conveyed the sense of a man actually in love with a woman, not just because of her body, but because he loved the way she kept him on his toes. As written by Miyazaki, Lupin was in love with Fujiko for her mind and truly enjoyed playing an unending game of wits with her. Just brilliant. If you never see any other episodes of Lupin III, you need to see episodes 145 and 155.

Now I'm watching the third series and I'm noticing a certain trend... there's no other way to put it, so I'll just say it outright, "Holy crap, nipples!" I'm just amazed that this actually aired on TV. I've only seen 4 episodes so far and in each episode I've seen a girl forcibly stripped completely naked from head to toe. Usually it has been Fujiko, but not always. In episode 3 it was a pubescent loli old enough to have small breasts. In episode 4 (while Fujiko was manacled naked to a slab) we had a close up of her naked breast just to show off a very clearly drawn and colored nipple. I'm no stranger to fanservice, but I'm amazed this got on the airwaves.

Other than that, the third series had been pretty good so far. We seem to have a return to the cooler Lupin of the first series. Strangely all the characters are drawn much prettier. Lupin no longer looks quite like a monkey and Goemon almost looks like a girl.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 10:22   Link #25
Archaic

Send a message via AIM to Archaic Send a message via MSN to Archaic Send a message via Skype™ to Archaic
I know this is bumping up a fairly old thread, but I just wanted to mention one thing here quickly.

In the context of the new Lupin: Green Vs. Red OVA released this week, it might be appropriate to think of the Lupin III in each of those separate TV series as separate individual characters.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-06, 01:17   Link #26
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I know this is bumping up a fairly old thread, but I just wanted to mention one thing here quickly.

In the context of the new Lupin: Green Vs. Red OVA released this week, it might be appropriate to think of the Lupin III in each of those separate TV series as separate individual characters.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for about which lupin is which:

This OVA is very crazy and sometime make you doubt which lupin is which.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 10:09   Link #27
sirtao

Spoiler for about GvsR:
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 04:51   Link #28
Psycho_Kenshin

I enjoyed that Green vs Red OVA, it was a cool change of pace. I did miss having Fujiko in a larger role though, she's the best.

Here's one question I have, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Spoiler:

I enjoyed that aspect, but it is pretty unexplained.
Psycho_Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 07:25   Link #29
tyciol
*Artist

I just realized, this series bears some similarities to YuGiOh, in that the first series doesn't get licensed so we get to watch it, but the 2nd series does get licensed so we can't.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 15:48   Link #30
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
I just realized, this series bears some similarities to YuGiOh, in that the first series doesn't get licensed so we get to watch it, but the 2nd series does get licensed so we can't.
Actually, the first Lupin III TV series was licensed by Discotek (a company that specializes in retro anime titles) just a couple months ago.