AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-19, 17:33   Link #8141
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
So.. does this mean. Kamikaze infested terrans are back?
Oh if only. Then at least I could just lift my buildings up and stick the finger to infestors.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 17:48   Link #8142
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Starcraft (original) had a simple but nice story. A bunch of incompetent humans in the middle of nowhere, exiled, having to face two forces beyond their comprehensions. The arrogant Protoss, unwilling to change their ways would have met the same fate. And all of this, the anti-hero Raynor, and fallen heroes like Zeratul were badasses. Tassadar was like savior or some shit. But it wouldn't have worked without Mengsk throwing events into motion as he did.

Brood War had an alright start. Enemy mine was nice, as well as Kerrigan discovering her control over the Zerg. In the end, there is no heroism; just the queen bitch ending. However, the last arc was pretty anticlimactic until the very end. The whole overmind regrowing shit and randomly mind controlling the Protoss Matriarch were just silly twists.

Wings of Liberty on the other hand just isn't that interesting. It's too focused on the heroes like Raynor and Zeratul. While they were key in past conflicts, it's not all about them, for fuck's sake. Instead of having a heroic assault on Char, you have Raynor doing some typical Main Character bullshit and saving Kerrigan via the power of love. The plots of the other two never forgot that it was a full scale conflict. And in terms of establishing the bigger world, Wings of Liberty fails pretty miserably, aside from characters like Tosh. And of course, the oh so generic flanderization of Mengsk and the Protoss into parodies of their former selves doesn't help. Sure, the Zeratul parts were great, but the story itself? Meh. It serves its purpose and the campaigns are fun, but what does it really contribute? Then again, Blizzard was really never good at writing anyways.
I agree with what is said there.

For the most part in the WoL and HotS campaign it feels as if only the main faction is doing "anything" at all. To top it off a lot of actions done are inconsequential.

This is one reason why I dislike the whole Taldarim BS. Fighting actual protosses would be a diplomatic affair while no one cares if the Taldarim gets slaughtered. How badass would it be if the Golden Armada finds kerrigan and she screams "You pathetic protosses get out of my way I got my own business to attend to!".

I don't think Raynor is past his role in the whole galactic conflict. I see him as an ambassador of the Terran race (or the whole sector): he has got friends at the highest places in the protoss hierarchy, while Kerrigan cares very much about Raynor.

Zeratul imo had the biggest effect on the SC2 story but had the least amounts of screen time. Say, if the protoss caught Zeratul hanging around Kerrigan in HotS he will have a much harder time convincing his race to fight against the Xelnaga.

I hope that since LotV concludes the trilogy: the entire sc2 team can focus all their efforts into LotV...
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:52   Link #8143
Forever
Revealing the truth

Just completed the game.

Well brutal was really easier on HOTS. Ultralisk is broken, raptorlings was imba. Roach with roachlings was good.

Didnt bother to use swarm hosts. Sunkens are better. I rather train a lurker. Mutals had their uses (+dmg vs armor upgrade). Mutals evolution was not needed though.

I find the increase attack speed and life is better than mend. twin drones and automated vesphene made it very easy to quickly to build up.

If I can have the campaign zerg in multiplayer, I dont mind giving the terran elite units. I will still rip them apart anyway...
Old 2013-03-19, 22:23   Link #8144
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Just completed the game.

Well brutal was really easier on HOTS. Ultralisk is broken, raptorlings was imba. Roach with roachlings was good.

Didnt bother to use swarm hosts. Sunkens are better. I rather train a lurker. Mutals had their uses (+dmg vs armor upgrade). Mutals evolution was not needed though.

I find the increase attack speed and life is better than mend. twin drones and automated vesphene made it very easy to quickly to build up.

If I can have the campaign zerg in multiplayer, I dont mind giving the terran elite units. I will still rip them apart anyway...
Campaign Terran > Campaign Zerg in my opinion, only because I feel that Inject Larva is what gives Zerg their edge overall.
Old 2013-03-19, 22:27   Link #8145
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
The battle of Amargeo was pretty bad, actually. Terrans didn't even get a single shot off which was just weird.
huh?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Go to 3 minutes in. The Marines shoot a rather lot in this scene. It's just not that hugely effective since well...Hydralisks ARE pretty damn sturdy (ingame they have twice as much HP as Marines), and they outnumbered the Marines in this scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Wings of Liberty on the other hand just isn't that interesting. It's too focused on the heroes like Raynor and Zeratul. While they were key in past conflicts, it's not all about them, for fuck's sake. Instead of having a heroic assault on Char, you have Raynor doing some typical Main Character bullshit and saving Kerrigan via the power of love. The plots of the other two never forgot that it was a full scale conflict. And in terms of establishing the bigger world, Wings of Liberty fails pretty miserably, aside from characters like Tosh. And of course, the oh so generic flanderization of Mengsk and the Protoss into parodies of their former selves doesn't help. Sure, the Zeratul parts were great, but the story itself? Meh. It serves its purpose and the campaigns are fun, but what does it really contribute? Then again, Blizzard was really never good at writing anyways.
I'm sorta inclined to agree. So far we've had two extended campaigns equal to all the campaigns from Starcraft 1 and Broodwar...all focused on Kerrigan and Raynor. It kinda detracts from everything else potentially going on in the setting. SC1 and Brood war featured a large number of different factions carrying out a variety of their objectives throughout the campaign and battling for supremacy.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 09:03   Link #8146
Kyuu
=^^=

Well, I took my sweet time... but yea, campaign was way too easy.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 09:28   Link #8147
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

And now for something silly:
NicoNico
And the SC2 units:
NicoNico
Old 2013-03-21, 09:51   Link #8148
Who

Yay, just got promoted to Master League. Surprisingly, it didn't take that long, especially considering how I still don't use any builds for TvT and my TvZ/P is extremely unrefined.
Old 2013-03-21, 13:24   Link #8149
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I agree with what is said there.

For the most part in the WoL and HotS campaign it feels as if only the main faction is doing "anything" at all. To top it off a lot of actions done are inconsequential.

This is one reason why I dislike the whole Taldarim BS. Fighting actual protosses would be a diplomatic affair while no one cares if the Taldarim gets slaughtered. How badass would it be if the Golden Armada finds kerrigan and she screams "You pathetic protosses get out of my way I got my own business to attend to!".

I don't think Raynor is past his role in the whole galactic conflict. I see him as an ambassador of the Terran race (or the whole sector): he has got friends at the highest places in the protoss hierarchy, while Kerrigan cares very much about Raynor.

Zeratul imo had the biggest effect on the SC2 story but had the least amounts of screen time. Say, if the protoss caught Zeratul hanging around Kerrigan in HotS he will have a much harder time convincing his race to fight against the Xelnaga.

I hope that since LotV concludes the trilogy: the entire sc2 team can focus all their efforts into LotV...
The thing is that back in the old days everybody played a nameless protagonist that was never seen or heard on screen or any cinematics.

Now there's a trend towards more RPG where it's more character focused. Instead of being a nameless Terran captain you actually play as Jim raynor or Kerrigan(instead of a cerebrate).
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 21:17   Link #8150
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well, I took my sweet time... but yea, campaign was way too easy.
I'm actually having a small amount of trouble with that mission where you have to run around and protect turrets that fall from the air ..
Old 2013-03-21, 21:39   Link #8151
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I moved aggressively with Kerrigan while using spine crawlers as primary defense at each of the turrets.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:12   Link #8152
Wigwams

try doing the mastery achievements, they make things alot more interesting. if you are really looking for a challenge then do it in brutal.
Old 2013-03-21, 23:45   Link #8153
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
try doing the mastery achievements, they make things alot more interesting. if you are really looking for a challenge then do it in brutal.
Well, I usually do a run to finish the game on brutal then I go back and figure out what I need to get the mastery achievements..
Old 2013-03-22, 17:36   Link #8154
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Well I got into silver for my placement, better than expected. I thought I would be in bronze because I would always get my ass handed back in BW by my friends (in my defense they were all Koreans... but then again so am I ).

How hard is it to get to Gold and Platinum?
Old 2013-03-22, 18:17   Link #8155
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Not hard if you practice for it, should be doing within a month.

Unlike in tournaments, you only really need one build per match up on ladder until you get into high diamond/masters where you start to queue into the same guy several times.
Old 2013-03-22, 18:34   Link #8156
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Well I got into silver for my placement, better than expected. I thought I would be in bronze because I would always get my ass handed back in BW by my friends (in my defense they were all Koreans... but then again so am I ).

How hard is it to get to Gold and Platinum?
Not that hard at all. In lower leagues, it's just a matter of being on top of your macro; the finer points of the game like learning timings, strategic points on the maps, multitasking and when to be aggressive/defend; etc, come much later.

What race(s) do you play?
Old 2013-03-22, 18:51   Link #8157
Kyuu
=^^=

I've yet to 1v1 ever...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 18:51   Link #8158
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Not hard if you practice for it, should be doing within a month.

Unlike in tournaments, you only really need one build per match up on ladder until you get into high diamond/masters where you start to queue into the same guy several times.
Seems like it, most of the time I have been doing is focusing on MMM with tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Not that hard at all. In lower leagues, it's just a matter of being on top of your macro; the finer points of the game like learning timings, strategic points on the maps, multitasking and when to be aggressive/defend; etc, come much later.

What race(s) do you play?
Yeah so far all I have been doing is focusing on my macro, I feel there is no point on focusing on micro as of now.
Funny thing though I tried 3 barracks with stim timing for first time, it worked great. Of course my opponent attacked his own depo and rocks for some reason.
As for race, only race I use is Terran.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I've yet to 1v1 ever...
why not?
Old 2013-03-22, 22:31   Link #8159
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Need more people in the clan for some good ASuki vs ASuki 3v3 or 4v4.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 23:48   Link #8160
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Need more people in the clan for some good ASuki vs ASuki 3v3 or 4v4.
what's the name of the clan?

So after playing about 20 games I was promoted to gold. After winning my first match as Gold, I hit a wall and lost 14 in a row. I just couldn't deal with early pressure and air harassment, Mutas, drops, and Oracles just murdered me, especially Mutas.
At this point I need to focus lot on my macro, scouting, and when to be aggressive. Doing so I should be able to lessen the pressure and deal with better. I also need to focus better as I had too many instances of leaving tanks unsieged and getting my armies crushed.

Tags
blizzard, rts, starcraft, windows